Everything Is Geocaching.

I've only been geocaching for less than a year, yet now i am totally obsessed with it. When i see a container, i think geocache. When i see a bush, i see geocache hiding spot. Before i go somewhere, i have to look up to see if any geocaches are there. The list goes on and on. I'm sure that others are like this, too. Can you peeps share some examples?

Geocaching is not a game, hobby, or sport, it is a lifestyle. :laughing:

you ain't kidding! Know when someone asks us for directions the response is usually related to the location of a certain geocache. Of course we then have to translate that to english and explain what we are talking about. But that's cool.

Tonight, while out caching with ksmif and her family, I was amazed to see her so excited that, as she hopped out of the truck, she started to slam the door shut...and her daughter was getting out! I thought, "Oh, man, this woman is totally an addict!"

Oh man! Are there no secrets?

I write software for processing financial transactions which is used by banks. Last month I accidentally invented the tranaction type of "Purchase with cache back" which was on peoples screens for a couple of weeks before anybody noticed. I like the idea though, maybe a micro for a small pruchase, spend 100 and get an ammo can.

I write software for processing financial transactions which is used by banks. Last month I accidentally invented the tranaction type of "Purchase with cache back" which was on peoples screens for a couple of weeks before anybody noticed. I like the idea though, maybe a micro for a small pruchase, spend 100 and get an ammo can.

Which bank is this? I like the idea. Maybe they can hand out small two cup lock-n-locks or something :anicute:

Which bank is this? I like the idea. Maybe they can hand out small two cup lock-n-locks or something :anicute:

Sliding sideways from the topic - what a GREAT coat of arms! Question, though... what's the middle dog? I'm assuming the top and bottom ones are either Irish Wolfhounds or Scottish Deerhounds... is the middle one an Irish Terrier?

Sliding sideways from the topic -

And on the topic... I've been caching for less than a month, but yes, the syndrome hit immediately on doing my first caching run. Fandrel had gotten the bug about a week before, and he and I went out with his 13-yo son. As Tree Ninja (his son) noted on that first run "It makes you start looking at things in a different way."

Everywhere I go, now, I see my surroundings in terms of where things could be hidden; I look at containers and contemplate if they'd work for a cache.... and just before logging on, I used the last of a pack of postage-meter labels (I'm at work), and SAVED THE SMALLISH ZIPLOCK BAGGIE. :P

Of course, it doesn't help that the area around my home is literally riddled with caches; there's one less than 500 feet from my front door, another 8 or so within a 1-mile radius, half a dozen in the park where I walk my dogs every day, and similar levels of them in surrounding areas as well as along the three north/south routes (Rt 1, Rt 40, I-95) that I drive at least once a week (to Fandrel's place and/or to agility practice).

OTOH, I've already got addictions - most notably dog agility**, but also photography and messing about with computers - which take equal or higher precedence, so caching ain't going to become my *primary* obsession; it's just an additional one. Fortunately, it's one that dovetails neatly with the existing ones. :anicute:

**Which involves using an hour or more each evening either exercising myself and my canine team-mates (e.g. walking or hiking) and/or driving to practice and/or doing backyard training. Not to mention spending entire weekends at competitions.

Mrs. C2C2C, Myself and another couple had worked on this especially tough cache for two days straight. On the second day we were getting close to having all the computations done and went out to find the final location. Day turned into night and we were still at it. We had lost total track of time. The ring of the cell phone broke the silence. It was my young daughter. This is how the conversation went.

Me—Hello?

My daughter—Where are you guys?

Me – Why?

My daughter—Because its 3 AM!!!

Me – No way!

My daughter—You guys are nuts!!

Me—Your right…We will be right home

There we were in the middle of the night laughing like fools…I had just been chewed out by my daughter because we were ‘caching at 3 AM .

Yup I have got it reaaaaaaaaaal bad

C2C2C

I used to be obsessed about geocaching-thinking about containers, finds, future finds, etc.

I got over it by reading the forums regularly and seeing others suffer apoplexy over swag, DNF's, GW4, guidelines, reviewers, micros, log deletion, and a myriad of other burning issues.

We just find caches, perform semi regular maintainance of our caches, almost never attend geocaching events, rarely meet other geocachers, and hopefully abide by the guidelines or our interpretation of them.

There is life beyond a rubbermaid container in a bush full of McToys and junk drawer cast-offs.

PS- I still read the forums, case in point-this posting.

Well, I often pass places and say "Oooh, that would be a good place for a geocache!"

Last week I went to a Whole Foods fair/festival thingie and when I signed up for their e-newsletter, they gave out this square waterproof money holder/water-wallet thing (sized for an ipod.) As soon as I got it I thought it would make a great micro container, so I made my family go and sign up too so I could get 2 more of them! :laughing:

I also have several other dog-related additions (dog sports- agility, carting, etc...) :laughing:

Sliding sideways from the topic - what a GREAT coat of arms! Question, though... what's the middle dog? I'm assuming the top and bottom ones are either Irish Wolfhounds or Scottish Deerhounds... is the middle one an Irish Terrier?

It looks like maybe a Basset Hound to me...

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew