Everything Is Geocaching.

I've only been geocaching for less than a year, yet now i am totally obsessed with it. When i see a container, i think geocache. When i see a bush, i see geocache hiding spot. Before i go somewhere, i have to look up to see if any geocaches are there. The list goes on and on. I'm sure that others are like this, too. Can you peeps share some examples?

I've only been geocaching for less than a year, yet now i am totally obsessed with it. When i see a container, i think geocache. When i see a bush, i see geocache hiding spot. Before i go somewhere, i have to look up to see if any geocaches are there. The list goes on and on. I'm sure that others are like this, too. Can you peeps share some examples?

Geocaching is not a game, hobby, or sport, it is a lifestyle. ;)

I dream cache's. My husband is no dreaming cache's because I talk about them in my sleep. I hate sharing the GPS. But I have it 90% of the time. I'm ready to go now, anyone else?

caching in my life. oooooo we need to get caching tattoo's.. Shakes head here. Ammo can on my forehead. Anybody with me. Smiles. Ok I know I am nuts.

I wanted to cache before I even knew what it was. I thought how it would be fun to use my GPS and go out in the woods and look for stuff, to have an actual goal to navigate to. I used my GPS units constantly, and packed the with me everywhere. When I found caching my first impression was "this is TO COOL!

I've been hooked from the start.

I've only been caching for a short while. But, before I go anywhere, I get data on a cache or two and look for them. It is especially fun while on vacation elsewhere.

But this is how bad it is: I was at a friends for dinner. I went to the refrigerator to get something, saw the tupperware containers and immediately thought about all the finds I could log. I was already on my PDA when I realized all I'd found was leftovers.

Used to hate shopping, knew what I wanted, in and out, done.

Now I spend forever wandering the aisles looking for swag, containers, camo, artificial plants, rubber snakes.

Started swallowing all the vitamins at 5 times dose so I can get the containers.

Cutting all the velcro off of stuff, makes excellent grippy things..obviously.

Really p'off at the maid because she threw away the top of an empty Skippy jar..they make excellent caches.

Just bought some bike tube valve covers to make into mini micros....if only we had some other cachers in the area!!!

Edited by gerboa

You know you have ALMOST hit rock bottom when you are going to a burial and you check for caches on route. You have hit rock bottom when you stop in the cemetery to do the cache, BEFORE going to the graveside service.

No, I have not hit rock bottom because I have not gone to any funerals lately.

Loch Cache

Edit: Caskets cannot be used as cache containers if they are burried. However, how about one in a mausoleum?

Edited by Loch Cache

I attended a training meeting at work and they passed around an attendence log to date and sign.

I realized I had a problem when I caught myself half way through signing it "Blue Power Ranger" :anitongue:

I've got the same issue in my other addiction.

I teach Taekwondo. People at work are still amused when I walk into the conference room for a meeting and bow as I come through the door. :anitongue:

The check typist was sick and I offered to do the checks that day. A couple were for reimbursment. I was supposed to type on the explanation line: remburse imprest cash fund. I had to retype two checks because I spelled cash as cache on them.

NOTE: I just now had to type that line above in this post 3 times because my fingers just kept typing cache........

I feel better that I am not alone in this addiction. Every day I want to go out caching and find ways to get away to do it. Yep, before I go anywhere I check google earth to see what caches are about. I'd say I need help, but I don't want it.

The term "Muggler" is now used in my office as a derrogatory term for anyone who does something stupid. The best part is that people using the term aren't even cachers!

Yep, trying pick between a Toyota FJ and a Nissan Xterra. The price of the GPSr is now the tip of the iceberg!

It doesn't matter if you call me by my first name or "Airmapper", I respond to both the same.

I cant write "cash" anymore, it has to be spelled "cache."

About 99% of the transactions I handle at work have "caSH advances" on them. When this happens, we are SUPPOSED to write "caSH" on the top of the receipt that we keep. I catch myself MANY times a night writing "caCHE" on them...luckily, my boss is a cacher, so if it ever slips through, he would understand!

We were done caching, so I turned the Garmin off and just followed the in-dash Navigation system to get home.

...however, I still had the Garmin up on the dash facing me...even though it was now off.

(I'm now required to shut off the GPS when we are done caching so I don't keep pointing out those nearby caches)

All the way home, I was wondering if we were passing geocaches. :laughing:

I get more e-mails from my geocaching watchlist than from all of my friends combined.

And one time, I thought sure my husband and ~NotMe~'s husband were planning an intervention for us.

Is there a geoholics anonymous or should we just get used to it? :laughing:

I don't think it's a problem. :)<_<:blink:

I get more e-mails from my geocaching watchlist than from all of my friends combined.

And one time, I thought sure my husband and ~NotMe~'s husband were planning an intervention for us.

Is there a geoholics anonymous or should we just get used to it? :laughing:

Sure, of course there is a Geoholics Anonymous... I'll be posting the coordinates in the near future. <_<

:D I burst out laughing when I read this! I do this all the time! I tell my husband, "look over there at that twisted tree, that would be a great spot!" When I go a certain direction, I look up the caches along the way and if there aren't enough, I devise plans to place one 'where it's needed'! :D

I attended a training meeting at work and they passed around an attendence log to date and sign.

I realized I had a problem when I caught myself half way through signing it "Blue Power Ranger" :D

I signed a check once "Arrow One" ...... The bank cached it!! (yup, I spell cash as cache every time!) :D

You know you have ALMOST hit rock bottom when you are going to a burial and you check for caches on route. You have hit rock bottom when you stop in the cemetery to do the cache, BEFORE going to the graveside service.

No, I have not hit rock bottom because I have not gone to any funerals lately.

Loch Cache

Edit: Caskets cannot be used as cache containers if they are burried. However, how about one in a mausoleum?

lol :D:D:D:D

Top Ten signs you’ve been doing a little too much Geocaching:

10. You’ve had more "conversations" on your Garmin than on your REAL cell phone.

9. Your wedding invitation features a Difficulty / Terrain rating.

8. You realize you can now read the hints without clicking "Decrypt."

7. You get distracted while watching movies because you keep scanning the background scenery thinking "That’d be a GREAT place for a micro!"

6. It takes the meter man an hour to find YOUR water meter.

5. Everyone else puts a quarter in the coffee fund jar in the office break room. You TAKE a quarter, leave a Travel Bug, and then cover the jar with pine straw.

4. Someone stops you on the street to ask directions to the post office. All you can give them is the lattitude and longitude.

3. Your tax return features a $739.00 deduction for “AA Batteries”.

2. You drag your old junk washing machine into the woods, put a logbook in it, and post the coords on the Internet so the National Park Service will haul it off for you.

And, the NUMBER ONE sign that you’ve been doing a little too much Geocaching:

1. Your mama named you “CCCooperAgency”.

I needed this tonight! Thought I was going nuts and I just started! Already got signature items, been perusing the forums, bought the garmin csx, bought some coins on ebay - got some caches put together, put a swag box in my trunk....

And my family just sits there saying - make dinner mom, clean the house mom, go to work mom. We don't WANNA go geocaching!!!

Does geocaching cause divorce?? :D

Yup, I'm a relatively new cacher as well, but I'm addicted. I now have an excuse to wander the isles of Home Depot for several hours at a time looking for cache-container ideas. I purchased one particular item the other day, which in-of itself is completely unrelated to caching but I thought would make a cool cache. One of my workmates commented on my purchase and the other coworker didnt miss a beat when asked what they thought I was going to use the item for, "A Geocache?"

Last night I woke up at 3am and couldnt stop thinking about my very first cache which I placed today and hopefully will be approved tommorrow. I now have a small collection of containers and camo materials just waiting for the right cache-placement opportunity and the other day I was thinking about going on a shwag shopping spree.

I seem to miss all the geocache events and so have yet to meet any other cachers except my buddy KiloEcho (we both started caching together), however a week or so ago I did have a dream where I was about to head down some abandoned railroad tracks to hunt down a cache and VenturaKids rolled up in their jeep.

Whenever I'm headed out in the middle of the day for work-related activities I check to see if there are any caches en-route, and yes I probably spend more time pretending to talk on my cellphone as muggle distraction than actually speaking on it. And does staying on geocaching.com far beyond normal waking hours count? :D

I needed this tonight! Thought I was going nuts and I just started! Already got signature items, been perusing the forums, bought the garmin csx, bought some coins on ebay - got some caches put together, put a swag box in my trunk....

And my family just sits there saying - make dinner mom, clean the house mom, go to work mom. We don't WANNA go geocaching!!!

Does geocaching cause divorce?? :o

I don't think so, ask my ex-wives. :D They get the cash, I get the cache. :D

Loch Cache

PS, I can no longer write my last name without pausing to think since it is LochRie

What an excellent discussion topic! What a coincidence! My buddy, "ksmif" has an addiction. Her son, stephy, and I attempted an intervention yestereday while out logging some caches in Albany. Her eyes were sweeling. Her heartrate was pulsating. She was almost salivating at the prospect of the next find! This isn't just a one-time issue. ksmif is an ADDICT!!! By the way, it wasn't a good idea to attempt the intervention while caching...as ksmif had the keys to the car!!!!!!! Next time, I'll definitely attempt it with many others assisting. I'm imagining something like this:

Me, on the telephone: hey, ksmif! should we go out caching today?

ksmif: definitely! I've already plotted out our exact line of search, including color-coded highlights. I've brought extra water, back-up shoes, and my cell phone. I'm actually already sitting in your driveway. I arrived at 4 a.m, but didn't want to wake you...plus, the extra time allowed me a chance to get everything entered into my unit!

me: uh, OK. So, you're already in my driveway?

ksmif: yes. I originally entered your house and was sitting in your living room, but I couldn't find the light switch and your 3 dogs were pacing and growling. You should really consider putting them through anger management courses. They acted like they were trying to protect your house, or something! Jeez!

me: well, actually, you did enter our home uninvited...(at this point I gave up. ksmif has me tuned out and is obviously doing stretching to get ready for the day's explorations)

ksmif: well, get out here! I'm waiting.

me: OK...let me just get a cup of coff...

ksmif: you don't need to make any coffee! I went online and found a way to download coffee-caffeine injection waypoints! Now come on!

AT THIS POINT, I ENTER HER VEHICLE, NOT LETTING HER KNOW WHAT THE REAL PLAN IS...

drive, drive, drive, drive...park!

ksmif: OK! Get out!!!

me: I am. Just give me a minute (AT THIS POINT, I'M SECRETLY TEXT MESSAGING ALL OF MY INTERVENTION HELPERS...GIVING OUR EXACT COORDINATES)

ksmif: this is ridiculous, boggywoggy! That's it! I'm going without you!

(SHE BEGINS WALKING AWAY...)

me: but, ksmif! you're leaving me alone in your precious Volvo! (THIS HITS A NERVE WITH HER...)

ksmif: What? Oh, God....I can't decide! Should I stay with the car and make sure you don't touch anything and leave behind fingerprints...or should I head to the cache???!!! What to do! What to do! (SHE'S CLUTCHING HER HEAD, PULLING AT HER HAIR! HER GLASSES ARE OFF-CENTER AND SHE'S WALKING IN SMALL CIRCLES)

What an excellent discussion topic! What a coincidence! My buddy, "ksmif" has an addiction. Her son, stephy, and I attempted an intervention yestereday while out logging some caches in Albany. Her eyes were sweeling. Her heartrate was pulsating. She was almost salivating at the prospect of the next find! This isn't just a one-time issue. ksmif is an ADDICT!!! By the way, it wasn't a good idea to attempt the intervention while caching...as ksmif had the keys to the car!!!!!!! Next time, I'll definitely attempt it with many others assisting. I'm imagining something like this:

Me, on the telephone: hey, ksmif! should we go out caching today?

ksmif: definitely! I've already plotted out our exact line of search, including color-coded highlights. I've brought extra water, back-up shoes, and my cell phone. I'm actually already sitting in your driveway. I arrived at 4 a.m, but didn't want to wake you...plus, the extra time allowed me a chance to get everything entered into my unit!

me: uh, OK. So, you're already in my driveway?

ksmif: yes. I originally entered your house and was sitting in your living room, but I couldn't find the light switch and your 3 dogs were pacing and growling. You should really consider putting them through anger management courses. They acted like they were trying to protect your house, or something! Jeez!

me: well, actually, you did enter our home uninvited...(at this point I gave up. ksmif has me tuned out and is obviously doing stretching to get ready for the day's explorations)

ksmif: well, get out here! I'm waiting.

me: OK...let me just get a cup of coff...

ksmif: you don't need to make any coffee! I went online and found a way to download coffee-caffeine injection waypoints! Now come on!

AT THIS POINT, I ENTER HER VEHICLE, NOT LETTING HER KNOW WHAT THE REAL PLAN IS...

drive, drive, drive, drive...park!

ksmif: OK! Get out!!!

me: I am. Just give me a minute (AT THIS POINT, I'M SECRETLY TEXT MESSAGING ALL OF MY INTERVENTION HELPERS...GIVING OUR EXACT COORDINATES)

ksmif: this is ridiculous, boggywoggy! That's it! I'm going without you!

(SHE BEGINS WALKING AWAY...)

me: but, ksmif! you're leaving me alone in your precious Volvo! (THIS HITS A NERVE WITH HER...)

ksmif: What? Oh, God....I can't decide! Should I stay with the car and make sure you don't touch anything and leave behind fingerprints...or should I head to the cache???!!! What to do! What to do! (SHE'S CLUTCHING HER HEAD, PULLING AT HER HAIR! HER GLASSES ARE OFF-CENTER AND SHE'S WALKING IN SMALL CIRCLES)

me: it's OK, smiffy. you're going to be OK...just give me one more minute. I'll get out! We'll go. Just hang on!

ksmif: I can't decide. I can't decide! Must...get...to...cache...must...protect...Volvo! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(JUST THEN, 3 CARS COME ROARING UP. LIKE A WILD SWAT TEAM, MY FRIENDS ENCIRCLE KSMIF, LOCKING ARMS AND CREATING AN INPENITRABLE BARRIER.)

ksmif: What are you doing??!! What are you doing!!?? You can't do this to me! You can't make me stop what I love most!

others: We must, ksmif. We heard that yesterday you dissed your young daughter. You told her to "ride her pony" when she called while you were caching with BoggyWoggy. She needed you, ksmif. She needed you! Your child needed you and you didn't do what a mom should do!

ksmif: There's nothing wrong! She was safe! She was at work, surrounded by ponies! She could have ridden her pony for just a few more hours! I...just....n.e.e.d.e.d...1..more...cache!!!!

(AT THIS POINT, KSMIF CRUMPLES TO THE GROUND IN A TERRIBLE HEAP. SHE IS SHAKING, SWEATING...SHE IS ALREADY GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWALS! WE CONSIDER DIALING 911, BUT DECIDE TO GIVE HER JUST A BIT MORE TIME)

stephy (her son): Mom! Mom! I love you mom! Come back to me! Come back! Don't leave us, Mom! You can make it! You'll be OK! Geocaching is supposed to be a simple, fun, once-in-awhile thing...

ksmif: (SHE LEAPS UP, REACHING FOR STEPHY'S THROAT) Don't say that, stephy! This is my life...what else is there but geocaching? Without it, I'll die, I tell you, I'll DIE!!!!!

(AT THIS POINT, A GEOAMBULANCE ARRIVES. SEVERAL BIG, MUSCULAR, GPS-CLADDEN MEAN LEAP OUT. THEY GRAB KSMIF BY THE STRING OF HER ETREX...PULLING HER TOWARD THE GEOAMBULANCE.)

ksmif: NO! NO! HELP ME! I MUST FIND THAT ONE LAST CACHE........!!!!!

(HER VOICE FADES AS THE GEOAMBULANCE'S DOORS SLAM SHUT AND IT SPEEDS OFF INTO THE BEAUTIFUL SUNRISE...

Hey Boggywoggy, so we're on for tomorrow night right? :( We'll need flashlights, drysuits, kayaks and enough food for 4 days. You're scuba licensed right? OK. Obsessed? Who you callin' obsessed? But really, tomorrow night. I'll tap on the window, they'll never hear us leave.

We can roll the Volvo out of the driveway and hop in down the street. I'll bring enough plastic bags and clean wipes for dirty shoes and fingers... so no worries.

My lists are made.... are you ready?

Okay, but my kids have been gone for 2 weeks and I feel I should really spend time with them....oh, what the heck! They're teenagers and don't need me anymore, anyway. I'll leave some Budget Gourmets in the freezer for them. They'll be fine...but...oh, the guilt, the guilt! If I go with you, am I BECOMING you??? Am I what they call and addict? Must...not...go...must...take...responsibility...must...stay...home...Ahhhhhhhhh

I feel better that I am not alone in this addiction. Every day I want to go out caching and find ways to get away to do it. Yep, before I go anywhere I check google earth to see what caches are about. I'd say I need help, but I don't want it.

The term "Muggler" is now used in my office as a derrogatory term for anyone who does something stupid. The best part is that people using the term aren't even cachers!

Yep, trying pick between a Toyota FJ and a Nissan Xterra. The price of the GPSr is now the tip of the iceberg!

go with the "X" you won't be dissapointed.

T

TB# 566482