Rant Of A Green Jeep Holder...

Blue Power Ranger

When I got home from work this evening, I noticed that someone had posted a note to one of my cache pages in which I had dropped a coin earlier in the day. This is the note...

Log Date: 8/7/2006

how about a green jeep drop ? seems everyone that has one is keeping one?i think i read that you have to place them in a cache hmm i mite be wrong though?????comon guys lets go.........do be the jeep hogs that every one is calling you there is a fourm for jeep hogs check it out.......

Do I have a green jeep? - Yes, I have had one for one week. (see it here) I have every intention of meeting my obligation to drop it.

Is it reasonable to post a note to my cache page with this kind of thing?

I of course did already delete the log on my cache page but I was still pretty ticked off. ;):D:D

Come on folks. People need to meet the obligations that they have agreed to but lets get a grip!

I'm afraid I may have sent this cacher an email while I was still angry.

You are right and I agree with your rant. I hope I don't get something like that.

I got one too. I have a new Cache to put it in but I still have to finalize it, then finish writing the Cache Page.

What part of I just got itand I did not know I was getting it. Everybody just hold your pants on. It will get out there.

I've seen some hoarding going on already, and although it is frustrating that people aren't releasing their jeeps as fast as I'D like, the rules clearly state

Jeep 4x4 Request Form

I agree to place this 2006 Jeep Travel Bug into a cache within 2 weeks of its receipt

people can be annoyed, but you clearly aren't doing anything wrong...as long as you place it within the 2 week period :anitongue:

I for one will be looking for it!

CoreyNJoey in your post you contradict yourself. You clearly state 'but you clearly aren't doing anything wrong...as long as you place it within the 2 week period " contradicts your first statment "I've seen some hoarding going on already" How can there be any hoarding when two weeks is not even up yet. ANd yes everyone was entitled to one in the mail others received them at events or retrieved them from caches. No where does it state you can not have more than one in your possession, at any one time. If a cacher has 5 jeeps in their possession then theey are entitled to take up too 5 photos for the themes stated. And they just might need some time to be creative. Furthermore they coud be writing up D@#! good caches to place the new jeeps into. The definition of hoarding :Hoarding is the excessive collection and retention of things that interfere with day-to-day functions.

CoreyNJoey in your post you contradict yourself. You clearly state 'but you clearly aren't doing anything wrong...as long as you place it within the 2 week period " contradicts your first statment "I've seen some hoarding going on already" How can there be any hoarding when two weeks is not even up yet. ANd yes everyone was entitled to one in the mail others received them at events or retrieved them from caches. No where does it state you can not have more than one in your possession, at any one time. If a cacher has 5 jeeps in their possession then theey are entitled to take up too 5 photos for the themes stated. And they just might need some time to be creative. Furthermore they coud be writing up D@#! good caches to place the new jeeps into. The definition of hoarding :Hoarding is the excessive collection and retention of things that interfere with day-to-day functions.

I don't think I'm contradicting myself. My personal opinion is I think it's rude to hoard them. If someone has 5 jeeps in their possession, then those are 5 jeeps out of circulation that others can't find. Since day after day, people are searching for jeeps and none are to be found because someone has them in their collection, then that meets the definition of hoarding.

However, the rules don't say anything about hoarding, just that they have 2 weeks to release them. As long as people are playing by the rules, then it's all good.

I think I got a little off topic here. My main point for this particualr thread was that the original poster hasn't done anything wrong. He clearly isn't hoarding and he has plans to release it within the 2 week period.

I just got one last Friday (it's Tuesday today.) I tried to drop it off on Saturday after an overnight sailboat race-- but searching for a micro-in-the-woods 1st stage of a multi cache (the only one near the end of the race site) was beyond my 32 hour sleep-deprived brain, and I dnf'd the cache. (the hallucinations were just starting to get interesting...) I wanted to get rid of it quickly, as commitments will probably keep me from caching until an event cache I'm helping to sponsor at the end of August. I hope someone who chose to save the price of a stamp doesn't get too upset...

Why would anyone want to hoard these Jeeps?

I can see the appeal of geocoins which have some intrinsic value, but these Jeep TB's just aren't so special to me.

I found one in the wild yesterday that I chased just for the fun of it and to get a new icon. After that, what's the point of holding onto the "toy"?

Edited by markp99

Why would anyone want to hoard these Jeeps?

I can see the appeal of geocoins which have some intrinsic value, but these Jeep TB's just aren't so special to me.

I found one in the wild yesterday that I chased just for the fun of it and to get a new icon. After that, what's the point of holding onto the "toy"?

It's a Jeep thing. you wouldn't understand <_<

Some people are just fascinated with tiny things. :laughing:

As for the OP. Glad you deleted it and don't think 2ce of it. Some people are just born to gripe about anything and they just happen to see you first.

Well my mailbox is full of requests for me to send my Jeep to Belgium, south america, and maybe even Easter Island! I won't send one out of the US until after the contest. As a matter of fact I already released mine, it is out of my hands. I didn't even try and enter the contest with the one I received.

Yes, they are hoarding them. Some people even go as far as to buy a duplicate and get a duplicate TB made that looks like the original, then moving the duplicate on AS the original and keeping the original.

I got my first YJTB to pass on by someone thinking I really wanted to keep it so they let me have it. I logged it and passed it on.

It steams me with one of the GJTBs I passed along. I was the last person to place it in a cache. Then it disappeared out of that cache. Someone wanted to keep one badly enough to take it and leave the cache page showing it was there in Rider's Joy cache.

I have recently begun dropping the long time holders of White Jeep Travel Bugs, a note. In some cases they have been holding them since release in 2005. :laughing:

I encourage you to do the same.

How dare someone keep a Travel Bug or a Geocoin that doesn't belong to them!! :blink:

Here's a short list of Geocachers who are STILL holding White Jeep Travel Bugs, that were in my area, after many months:

(cachers names removed by moderator to prevent abusive e-mails)

I'm a 'live and let live" kind of person but not when it affects the game for others! <_<

Please join me in dropping other offenders a note when they hang on to any JTBs too long!

I've listed a few names here with the intention of exposing those that have kept Jeep Travel Bugs far too long. It is not intended to offend any one person.

Edited by Eartha

Ah, you may want to reconsider your post. As much as I may disagree with other's actions in certain cases, publicly targeting other cachers usually doesn't go well. Sending them a reminder note is fine, but listing people you consider garbage probably isn't.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ah, you may want to reconsider your post. As much as I may disagree with other's actions in certain cases, publicly targeting other cachers usually doesn't go well. Sending them a reminder note is fine, but listing people you consider garbage probably isn't.

Duly noted and edited: Thanks for the input. There was an implication and a correlation there that I did not intend.

I only listed a few names with the intention of exposing those that have kept Jeep Travel Bugs far too long, in an attempt to get them to 'Do the Right Thing!' It is not intended to offend any one person.

I've been looking around today doing some searches on ethics and such, but not really finding a topic devoted to it. This seems close enough. I am more of a 1:1 trade type of guy, let everyone enjoy the fun. But I got a guy near me who must have a lot of free time, because he seems to go out and grab lots of coins and TBs as soon as they show up in the area. I mean he's got 8 Jeeps in his posession. Says he plans to move them along in his logs, but come on.

I call him a "camper" cause he seems to just run around grabbing whatever you put out there. Is there are forum topic that discusses what to do about this? Do I quit leaving TBs in our area? Why should he spoil everyone elses fun? Some items he does eventually move along. Is this just part of the geocaching experience?

I've been looking around today doing some searches on ethics and such, but not really finding a topic devoted to it. This seems close enough. I am more of a 1:1 trade type of guy, let everyone enjoy the fun. But I got a guy near me who must have a lot of free time, because he seems to go out and grab lots of coins and TBs as soon as they show up in the area. I mean he's got 8 Jeeps in his posession. Says he plans to move them along in his logs, but come on.

I call him a "camper" cause he seems to just run around grabbing whatever you put out there. Is there are forum topic that discusses what to do about this? Do I quit leaving TBs in our area? Why should he spoil everyone elses fun? Some items he does eventually move along. Is this just part of the geocaching experience?

In terms of the jeeps, he should be moving them along not holding them indefinately.

For travelers in general it is a first come first find situation. There is no limit we can place on others as to how many they can take. Is he ruining the fun for others? well maybe, but people can just try to get there ahead of him. Or just decide to place the bugs you have as far from his area as you can. Personally I would just ignore his habits and place bugs where I think they will travel best.

Just to clarify, travel bugs are not trade items. You don't have to leave trinkets to take one and you shouldn't take swag out of a cache when you leave one. And you don't have to leave a travel bug to take another bug out of a cache.

I mean he's got 8 Jeeps in his posession. Says he plans to move them along in his logs, but come on.

I believe that Geocacher has 7 Green Jeeps and 4 White Jeeps as of today. I've dropped him a note encouraging him to release them back in the game ASAP.

I would encourage you to do the same.

It's a Jeep thing. you wouldn't understand :)

As an owner of three Jeeps, I DO understand! :D:unsure:

Ah so you are just hoarding the life size jeeps. :)

I did the same thing---Well I brought it to a event to be discovered- then on the way home released it in a cache....I released my- My stupid fault (too much on my plate of things to do) and didn't enter the contest..I'm off to find another for a chance to enter the next contest

Here's another Geocacher: <name removed by moderator>

Make a note of his name and drop him a note before his name is deleted from this post.

He currently is holding FIVE Green Jeep Travel Bugs that were mailed to him but he has never released them...even, though he agreed to release them within two weeks. He's been holding them since August 4.

Not to mention the 3 White Jeep Travel Bug he has had in his possession.

I refuse to sit idly by why some people steal the fun for others! Their actions do NOT go unnoticed!

Edited by Eartha

And while we're on the subject...

I sent the long time holder of one or more White Jeep TBs a note and received this response:

"You "want to keep the fun in it for everyone"... perhaps minding your OWN business, and instead, getting out there hunting and placing caches would make it more fun for everyone (including yourself)! Since you seem to think it is your place to monitor, advise and finger wag at others, let us give you some advise, too... this IS just a game, and you need to get a life. A geocop you are not, nor do you have the TACT that it takes to be one. Drop it and move on... go find a cache... or maybe a new hobby!!"

I find it odd that when you point out other's misdeeds, you become the bad guy!

Your emails, and encouraging others to send ones to the same person, could also be considered harassment.

Perhaps a nice friendly email might be okay, personally I think you should back off contacting people about holding jeeps for too long. I don't foresee a happy ending if you keep it up.

Apparently you haven't noticed this thread happens to be about people who contacts someone who's holding a jeep - They need to get a grip!

Edited by BlueDeuce

Your emails, and encouraging others to send ones to the same person, could also be considered harassment.

Perhaps a nice friendly email might be okay, personally I think you should back off contacting people about holding jeeps for too long. I don't foresee a happy ending if you keep it up.

I appreciate your concern. My emails have not had a harsh tone, understanding that if they are unpleasant, they will not garner a favorable response.

I do wish to encourage them (and all of us) to do "the right thing"...whether it's Jeeps or Geocoins. It keeps the fun it the game!

You have every right to delete that geocachers log.

That geocacher hasn't obviously come across the little spoken truth about TB's: Many cute and clever TB's and the jeep TB's too become SOUVENIRS (loud echo when you say that word) and turn up whereabout unknowns.

The sooner he/she realizes that, the easier their life will become.