FTF Folks - Love Em? Hate Em? Just Don't Care?

Thrak

Just like everything else in the sport/game they have their time and place. Sometimes it is down right fun if you happen to be free at the moment and bored. I was notorious for getting FTFs when caches were listed at around 3 AM. Heck if I am up at that hour I am just watching reruns of the A-Team anyway.

There are pros to FTF caching:

1. Meeting other cachers. I can't think of how many times a group of new caches go out and I will run into a few cachers at the first one and we will just sit and talk cache for a while.

2. Finding the cache EXACTLY (most of the time) as the hider intended.

3. Bragging rights... BUT only on caches that should entail bragging rights (Wal Mart does not count for this one.) That is one time I am really into it. I love it when a cache pops up with a 3.5 or higher terrain and disclosures such as "special equiptment needed." In my opinion those are worth running out for.

There are also cons to FTF caching:

1. The people who try to get them all - EVERY time.

2. The competition that arises - that can get ugly. If a competition does arise it should not be about how many FTFs you have. It should be about how many FTFs you had to earn.

- Rev Mike

Just like everything else in the sport/game they have their time and place. Sometimes it is down right fun if you happen to be free at the moment and bored. I was notorious for getting FTFs when caches were listed at around 3 AM. Heck if I am up at that hour I am just watching reruns of the A-Team anyway.

There are pros to FTF caching:

1. Meeting other cachers. I can't think of how many times a group of new caches go out and I will run into a few cachers at the first one and we will just sit and talk cache for a while.

2. Finding the cache EXACTLY (most of the time) as the hider intended.

3. Bragging rights... BUT only on caches that should entail bragging rights (Wal Mart does not count for this one.) That is one time I am really into it. I love it when a cache pops up with a 3.5 or higher terrain and disclosures such as "special equiptment needed." In my opinion those are worth running out for.

There are also cons to FTF caching:

1. The people who try to get them all - EVERY time.

2. The competition that arises - that can get ugly. If a competition does arise it should not be about how many FTFs you have. It should be about how many FTFs you had to earn.

- Rev Mike

I agree with you 100% RevMike. Well said.

I really like being able to bag an FTF. For a while, I was charging out the door whenever a new one turned up close. I finally got over that after I laid the front of my nose open with a blackberry bush thorn. Got a nice scar out of it too.

There are some serious FTF hounds around here, and they can charge after them all they want. A well-respected cacher here told me once that he would really rather someone else did the Beta testing on a new cache. He can wait.

I thought that was brilliant. So now, when the new ones come up, I look to see who hid it first. If it was hidden by one of the really good (coords, hide, cammo) hiders, I'll take a crack at it.

Otherwise, someone else can do the Beta testing. I'll wait.

I admit to being an FTF hound. Yesterday, I specifically drove 50 miles one way to do a string of 4 caches (should have been 5, but I'll explain that in a mo') that were all FTF's. I had done another earlier in the day, and my goal was to get the most FTF's in one day that I had ever done. I accomplished that. I love the look of a fresh log...

You'll notice that my last 7 finds were all FTF's. I am not bragging, because I know that for many people, it means positively nothing. ANd in the grand scheme of things, you are 100% correct. But for some of us, it is just a facet of the game that appeals to us.

And, then, of course...there's the one that got away. Even I'm not crazy enough to make the drive back down there just for the FTF. If gas wasn't so expensive, I might...but I have to exercise SOME semblance of sanity....ya know? :laughing:

What the heck is it about being FTF? I'll admit I've been FTF maybe a couple of times and it felt...I dunno good or something unidentifiable. But I wouldn't get obsessive about being the First To Find. Is it a bit of OCD? Is it Type A behavior? Is it something about finding a virgin cache? Is it more men than women who are FTF hounds? What's the pathology here??

What's the pathology here??

Pathology is such an ugly word!

4leafclover: TeamJedi needs to learn to space its cache submissions a few days apart. It'd drive you nuts! :laughing:

To all who are curious about my previous post (and since no one asked. :laughing: ). Our choice was to go for an FTF, or set out our new cache first. We went for the FTF, and beat the 2ndTF by four hours. Then, we set out our new cache: Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Reservoir. The day after it was published, it was FTFed by the team that we beat. :laughing:

What's the pathology here??

Pathology is such an ugly word!

4leafclover: TeamJedi needs to learn to space its cache submissions a few days apart. It'd drive you nuts! :laughing:

To all who are curious about my previous post (and since no one asked. :laughing: ). Our choice was to go for an FTF, or set out our new cache first. We went for the FTF, and beat the 2ndTF by four hours. Then, we set out our new cache: Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Reservoir. The day after it was published, it was FTFed by the team that we beat. :o

oh...Harry. there are stories surrounding this that would curl your hair, but I have to hold my tongue. Yesterday's foray was fun, but a bit risky, given my history searching out his caches. But all went well, so I won't complain. :laughing:

I'm an FTF hound I reckon. I have over 100 in a little over a year and a half. 'Have had a few cachers take me to task over it. I just choose to play the game this way. I don't think it has anything to do with behavior or a personality quirk. My family tree is fairly normal. I don't take anti-depressants or any other brain disorder prescriptions. I just choose to go after FTF's as often as possible.

I admit to being an FTF hound. Yesterday, I specifically drove 50 miles one way to do a string of 4 caches (should have been 5, but I'll explain that in a mo') that were all FTF's. I had done another earlier in the day, and my goal was to get the most FTF's in one day that I had ever done. I accomplished that. I love the look of a fresh log...

You'll notice that my last 7 finds were all FTF's. I am not bragging, because I know that for many people, it means positively nothing. ANd in the grand scheme of things, you are 100% correct. But for some of us, it is just a facet of the game that appeals to us.

And, then, of course...there's the one that got away. Even I'm not crazy enough to make the drive back down there just for the FTF. If gas wasn't so expensive, I might...but I have to exercise SOME semblance of sanity....ya know? <_<

Sanity is not a requirement for geocaching - and may be a hinderance!

I have gone out at 2 a.m. to get an FTF, and recently three of us made a 500 mile round-trip to get ONE cache were interested in!

Yup, insanity may in fact be required!

Ed

I personally don't mind if someone gets there first but it makes it tough for my 6 and 9 year old daughters to ever get one. We have a local guy who is retired and probably get 90% of the FTF's and he'll go out anytime day or night. So it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone other than a fanatic to get a FTF in our area.

There are very few rules to geocaching so it's debatable what's meant by sportmanship in this game. But I would think that after hundreds of FTF's that it would be nice if this old guy would let some of the young kids get a few. If we throw sportsmanship out the window then I can certainly think of a lot of ways to make geocaching a pretty nasty endevour if it's every man for himself.

I personally don't mind if someone gets there first but it makes it tough for my 6 and 9 year old daughters to ever get one. We have a local guy who is retired and probably get 90% of the FTF's and he'll go out anytime day or night. So it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone other than a fanatic to get a FTF in our area.

There are very few rules to geocaching so it's debatable what's meant by sportmanship in this game. But I would think that after hundreds of FTF's that it would be nice if this old guy would let some of the young kids get a few. If we throw sportsmanship out the window then I can certainly think of a lot of ways to make geocaching a pretty nasty endevour if it's every man for himself.

I find this "let me win" mentality that pervades our society (especially regarding the young) to be really disgusting.

Where has REAL competition gone? Do we have to "enhance self esteem" of the slower or less able by shackling and opressing the more capable? Is that "sportsmanship"?

Does a "level playing field" have to involve building a mountain for the rabbit to climb whilst giving the tortiose a luge and a snow-covered slope?

True sportsmanship is simply playing by the rules and playing at one's best. Sportsmanship is winning without cheating or taking unfair advantage of other competitors. Letting someone win who cannot win without help is CHARITY, not sportsmanship.

Charity is a good thing, but PLEEEASE! don't demean a sport by demanding charity and calling it "sportsmanship". (I think the cheeseheads should deliberately drop the ball a few times so the Bunglers and the Dolts can win a few, but that's just me) <_<

If I were to go out ahead of your younguns and remove the FTF log so they can PRETEND they were FTF would that make the sport better? Is there a difference in removing the real FTF and asking the real FTF to back off and let your children pretend? Will it really be a FTF if everyone LETS them get it? A pretend victory is a hollow victory, actually not a victory at all.

Please resist the politically correct notion that kids self esteem is more important than their learning to compete fairly. IMHO you should endeavour to teach your kids REAL sportsmanship- to play by the rules, to do their best whilst striving to win, to graciously accept defeat, to not be afraid of failure, and to celebrate true success when it comes without charity.

For crying out loud, why can't we dance in the end zone anymore???!

We have a local guy who is retired and probably get 90% of the FTF's and he'll go out anytime day or night. So it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone other than a fanatic to get a FTF in our area.

I also find it difficult to "compete" against retired folks but.... They have already put in their time working their lives away. I don't mind that they can beat me to a cache. I just have to work harder if I want the FTF. I'm somewhat jealous that they are retired but then again I don't want to age so quickly that I can be retired too! Now if I could only win the lottery I'd retire right now but I always seem to get zero numbers correct on my lottery tickets and that doesn't win me anything.

We have a local guy who is retired and probably get 90% of the FTF's and he'll go out anytime day or night. So it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone other than a fanatic to get a FTF in our area.

If he gets 90%, then 10% of the potential FTFs are going to SOMEONE else. must be POSSIBLE to beat the oldtimer then, huh?

In situations like this i can only say, "keep trying" you'll win sooner or later.

Where did I mention self esteem? Trying to prove a point that isn't there, ha? My kids have no problem with their self-esteem.

This sport is somewhat unique in that entails a wide variety of age groups competing for FTF's and very few rules. Any adult can easily beat pre-teen kids at this sport- and you call that sportsmanship? Hardly.

Due to the lack of written rules, how about if I tackle this old guy when he's enroute to his FTF, or have my kids jump out from behind a tree and knock him down? Didn't see that prohibited in the rules. That way we could take advantage of the skills that we have being younger than him and he can take advantage of his fanatisism by getting up at 5 in the morning when my kids are still getting sleep for school. We could easily get all of the FTF's if we ignore the 'unwritten' rules.

Your arguments only makes sense if you expect US to recognize certain customs of sportsmanship while allowing others to take advantage of the situation.

Where did I mention self esteem? Trying to prove a point that isn't there, ha? My kids have no problem with their self-esteem.

This sport is somewhat unique in that entails a wide variety of age groups competing for FTF's and very few rules. Any adult can easily beat pre-teen kids at this sport- and you call that sportsmanship? Hardly.

Due to the lack of written rules, how about if I tackle this old guy when he's enroute to his FTF, or have my kids jump out from behind a tree and knock him down? Didn't see that prohibited in the rules. That way we could take advantage of the skills that we have being younger than him and he can take advantage of his fanatisism by getting up at 5 in the morning when my kids are still getting sleep for school. We could easily get all of the FTF's if we ignore the 'unwritten' rules.

Your arguments only makes sense if you expect US to recognize certain customs of sportsmanship while allowing others to take advantage of the situation.

My bad. I ASSuMEd the "self esteem" thing because that is usually the motivation of those that bring up the "why don't you do us a favour and throw the game" request. Either that or the mafia having bets down on the underdog. :rolleyes:

So let's debate the facts: How exactly can "any adult beat pre-teen kids at this sport"? By what theory do you propose that thesis? Are adults inherently better searchers? Are pre-teens somehow handicapped in their searching abilities?

I would submit that the biggest "handicap" a pre-teen has over a old man is that they lack transportation. Therefore the parents or other adults assisting the pre-teens are the main driving force (pun intended) toward finding a cache, whether FTF or 345th. If the adult is properly motivated to get the FTF and then takes the kids in tow, they have every bit as much chance as an old timer. The lack of FTF opportunities for your kids is simply YOUR failing to provide that opportunity for them. Does this justify shackling others or requesting that they throw the game?

I would submit that you and your kids CAN get up at 5 in the morning and hunt a cache if you so desire. The world will not come to an end and the kids won't become juvenile delinquent dropouts because of it. What the hey, they might even be more alert in class having just done something actually FUN before the drudgery of school. You might even find it to be a great time together and maybe make a memory that they might cherish long after the contrived glow of a false FTF that was arranged by asking the FTF hound to "throw the game" had long since passed.

As far as YOUR non- rule- breaking cheating as proposed above, Two wrongs don't make a right, but then it wouldn't be two wrongs would it? The old timer is NOT cheating in the original scenario- the only wrong would be yours.

And OBTW I love that part about "We could easily get all of the FTF's...". Interesting how one little detail (ignoring the unwritten rules) would make all FTFs "easy". So go try it. Ignore those "unwritten rules" that you think your FTF hound is "ignoring" and see what happens. I'll bet you find it aint all that "easy". What "unwritten rules" is your FTF hound ignoring anyway? You never said.

The FTF hound in question is not taking advantage of anything you could not take advantage of too if you so desired. It still comes down to whether or not you want it bad enough to do what it takes. And NO you don't have to stomp your "opponent" down to do it.

Your argument that he has an unfair advantage is simply nonsense.

If you really want your kids to have a FTF subscribe to the newly published emails, watch your email carefully, wait for one you to be published close by and go for it.

There is no need whatsoever to ask someone else to sit out.

2 years of caching - 61 finds. While I don't subscribe to "more finds = better cacher" type of stuff I do feel that you aren't really looking like someone who's willing to even TRY for a FTF........

I'm not sure I see what the fuss is about, really.

I work at a computer desk job and email is integral, so I basically see any incoming emails immediately. When a "new cache published" notification comes in, I read it, and see where it is. If it's within 5-10 km from my workplace, and it looks like a fairly straightforward hunt, then I might decide to try for FTF. I'll be assuming that EVERY other "FTF hound" in Ottawa is also reading the email, some are probably gearing up right as we speak. So, I ask myself this:

Can I afford to take a 30-45 minute break from work/home/whatever, RIGHT NOW?

If I say yes, then I hop in the car and away I go.

If I say no, then I don't.

I figure in this scenario it will all boil down to who lives closest to the cache. Not counting mistakes like getting lost on the way there :rolleyes: (I did that last week, and it cost me the FTF by about 5 minutes.)

On the days when I decide not to go RIGHT NOW, then I am foregoing my chances of FTF. Probably I have something better to do. I might try for it later on (on my way home from work perhaps). Sometimes I'm lucky and I'm still FTF, maybe because everyone else felt the same way. Often I'm 2TF.

It was cute the first few times I got FTF (what a rush!) but after that, I figured.. meh.. only if I happen to be free at the time. It's neat because you have a much higher chance of bumping into other cachers on the trail, which is cool.

Sometimes.

We've got a cacher around here that dislikes FTFers. Check out his new listings here and here The funny thing is that he uses a sock puppet account to list caches his real account has over 250 finds. Also there is't any active premium members (saying premium because they get the instant notifications) who have less than 150 finds! So now my 3 youngest kids have an account to comply with his ALRFTF rule.

I am a stay at home mom! Yesterday I packed up (2) 5 year olds, (1) 6 year old and (1) year old to go and grab 3 FTF's. The kids are now highly trained machines, they know when I say "Put your shoes on" around the mid morning when caches get published to grab their shoes and a trade item and rush out the door. I love FTF's because they put a little spice on the day, and its fun to run into other cachers. Without the company of other cahers searching for the cache (for me personally) its just another cache, in fact thats what made another lame microfun recently the cords were off, and everybody was there tons of fun for me and the kids!

Edited by Harriet the Spy

We've got plenty of FTFs. We can't leave work most times and go for them. We've found that not giving up on getting the FTF on a new cache is the key. Just because you're sure someone must have beaten you to the cache is no reason to not go try for the FTF. And it's funny. The more FTF hounds an area has, the more each of them is sure someone else has gone for the FTF. And all the while the cache just sits there waiting for the first seeker to believe they have a chance for the FTF. We got two last week that way.

- T of TandS

It's certainly not true in my area that ALL new caches get found immediately. There is one near me that has not been FTFd yet and it is over a year old. In fact, it has no logged attempts. A few weeks to a month is not at all uncommon- especially for those requiring a bit of a hike or those placed "off season".

There really is no excuse for not being able to get FTFs occasionally if one is willing to try and perservere.

To those who crave the experience and are facing fierce competition, I would advise that they get the earliest information, be ready to go on weekdays (nights?), watch especially for non- p&gs, and be willing to try again and again.

Even the FTF hounds started out with a lot of "seconds". They developed workable techniques by experience. There is no substitute.

You don't need any "unfair advantage", just good old fashioned stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Who cares? Obviously some people do. Theres a cacher that numbers his FTF's in the logs. Alot of times that IS the log. I guess I missed out on the part about there being an award for most FTF's.

I have no idea how many FTF's I have. After a few it didnt matter.

Since this topic came up.....heres my opinion about being FTF as opposed to 50th to find. In my area being FTF ( or second or third) often makes it the easiest to find. Follow the footprints! But looking for a cache that hasnt been logged for 6 months or more, those are the challenges.

Just my 2 cents.

I've seen a few posts where it seems to really annoy the heck out of some people when a cacher is a "FTF hound". Some folks really enjoy being FTF and are willing to go out in the night or early morning or in terrible weather for a FTF. For some reason that really seems to make some folks angry. What do you think? Does it annoy you or do you just not really care or what?

Personally, I don't understand why it should upset anybody but..........

Oh, yeah! Gotta love those 'FTF Hounds'! Oh, wait . . . I AM one! B)

I've had some local friendly griping about my FTF obsession, but as far as I know nobody is really P.O.ed about it. I HAVE been told my work schedule is unfair to local geocachers; I work two 24 hour shifts a week. Gives me some time to get those FTF's! I suppose you could complain about somebody who works nights, evenings, schedules with 3 or 4 on/off in a row or is retired as having an unfair advantage. I actually heard a call-in to Podcacher.com in which the caller complained about the local senior citizens having an unfair FTF advantage over the truck-driving caller! It just wasn't fair . . . a week or two later he called in with his first FTF . . . :ph34r:

Actually had my 'FTF' obsession work against me on a recent new cache. A couple of my 'friends' set up a new cache, with my getting the FTF in mind. Cache came up about 1800 Hours (that's 6.00pm to you and me) while I was at work. Got off at 0630 the next morning and headed for the cache. Got to ground zero and found the well placed, camouflaged micro. It was a preform; something like a small plastic test tube with a screw-top lid; these are what plastic soda bottles start life as. Something that I helped to introduce to the Southeast MO area. B) Tried to open it and couldn't unscrew the top. That silly Glen, he painted it shut. Pulled out my Leatherman Wave and worked on clearing the paint around the screw-on lid. Still can't open it. O.K., it's REALLY stuck. Just needs a little extra effort . . . I can't open it at ALL! O.K. Glen needs an early morning wake-up call. Darn, sounds like he's already awake. Probably expecting my call. Turns out that I found the 'special' micro he placed just for me. There's yet ANOTHER nearby micro that is the real cache. Oh, and by the way, take that 'special' micro with me so the next cacher doesn't get it! I should have left it! :D A little more searching turned up the real cache. Sign my FTF and head for home.

JohnTee

I love the FTF. I don't know why..............

Sometimes you don't really have to put out much extra effort though. I went to work yesterday morning and, when I checked my personal email, I had a notice of a new cache in a local park. I placed a watch on it to see who would be the FTF. I worked all day and it still hadn't been found. Hmmm.......... Oh, well. I'll be nice and leave it for someone else to find after work. I went home, made and ate dinner, and watched a movie with my wife. Still no notice on my cache watch. What the heck? So, I cruised slowly across town and made the find. Yep, another FTF. Out of 949 finds I have 123 FTF. I guess that qualifies me as a FTF freak.

I personally don't care too much. One cache near me popped up on my email, and I went out that afternoon at lunchtime. I noticed 1 cacher there already, and a few more approaching as I was leaving. It was a multi with a puzzle, which I was able to get stage 1 without my gps (didn't bring it to work that day), but have not yet gone to the final.

Last week, another new cache popped up on my email. Couldn't find it in the morning. All day at work I had it on my watch list. No one even logged anything. Viewing the coordinates on google maps made it clear that I took the wrong trail in the AM. After work I went out, but assumed someone else got it during the day. Wasn't I pleasantly surprised when I found the log book completely blank! What an exciting FTF, because it was my first FTF.

Now, a week later, no one else has even posted a note, so all I can assume is that no one has even looked for it. For some reason it makes the FTF feel like less of an accomplishment. But, a FTF is a FTF.

Have a few, but couldn't tell you how many. While it can be fun to go after a FTF it's just not important to me. Fact I've spotted a couple that I've backed away from and let someone with me claim the FTF, especially if they never had a FTF up to that point. They don't know I spotted it first and they are happy, I get to sign the log and I'm happy to.

Love em! especially since I'm a FTF hound, hehe. 6 ftf in the last 2 days even.

Theres thrill involved, a touch of competition, and its just a great way to run into other cachers and chat. Luckily we have lots of folks here that go for them. You never know who is going to make the dash for one, but dpending on what part of town you can guess who likely will go for it.

We enjoy reading the logs about the FTF hunters. To add to the fun we made a First Finders Cache .

I'm coming for this one, FIRST beat Bigfoot, Then hope it is on one of your caches!!

I'm a hound....but only for specific caches!

:blink: saaayy, Windrose has put out a couple lately, you have any in the works? LOL :lol:

Edited by "we two want to play too"

We enjoy reading the logs about the FTF hunters. To add to the fun we made a First Finders Cache .

I'm coming for this one, FIRST beat Bigfoot, Then hope it is on one of your caches!!

I'm a hound....but only for specific caches!

:lol: saaayy, Windrose has put out a couple lately, you have any in the works? LOL :D

Hope it's not a micro... your GeoName is longer than mine and those tiny logs are a real pain! :blink:

DCC

I'm a FTF and not afraid to admit it. Today I spotted a newly published cache about 15 miles north of here. Got there and signed the log just as another cacher approached. Needless to say, I think he was upset, lol. I have even had people name me specifically in their logs as being hard to beat to a FTF.

We used to not care whether we were FTF or not but one morning the 13 yr old checked my email and said, "Hey! Mom!! Teacman put a cache uptown and it just got published! You could beat the Brazil guy!" Actually the guy that usually is the FTF in the area isn't from Brazil but close enough. The kids said they'd get themselves on the school bus and shoved me out the door with the coord printout. 2 inches of snow and Terre Haute is an hour ahead of us and he still beat me, literally by minutes. He must have turned the corner as I pulled in to park! I think the kids wanted a FTF on the caching belt more than I did but it gave me a little taste and I wanted more.

Over the next couple of months teacman put out two along a defunct railway, near some great trestles. Once again the oldest was online when the notification email came. I wasn't half dressed before the 13 & 10 yr olds had the coords downloaded in to the GPSr. The 6 yr old was holding the door open! I wasn't sure about it but I went anyway and for the first time ever I was the FTF! Even then I still wasn't quite hooked. But then......

That same cacher put out one called Are You Afraid of Heights? (I'd put a link in for it but I'm not sure how to do it). That single cache has become my personal favorite although I'd not go visit it again anytime soon. I am TERRIFIED of heights and I walked across the trestle to 'bag' this one. It was a great hide! I won't deal with heights for quite some time but I'd go after another FTF again if the kids would either hold down the fort or hit the door running! Now we LOVE EM!

FTF's are great for geocaching.

I have some FTF's and for the longest time, I was even the only to find. Some were over a year old.

Usually when I get a FTF, the owner sends me an e-mail congratulating me. And being in an area where caches aren't so abundant, FTF's help other cachers in placing caches, as they know someone will go looking. If caches are placed and no one goes for them, people aren't encouraged to place good caches, they'll stick to easy accessible city caches.

There is another local cacher that we now find that we have like this little friendly competition going, he'll leave notes for us in logs and vice versa. Makes it more interesting seeing as we both have to travel a good distance now to find any caches, as we have most done in our area.

We both don't go out and race for them, but we know eventually we'll both find it.

Just another fun aspect of the game.

We have met once, as they were doing one of my own caches FTF's. They recognized us nearby as we were ice fishing, and came to say hi.

"Love Em?" I sure do love myself.

My caching area is a hot bed for the FTF race with the usual core group of hounds and a constant influx of new or part timers joining in at any given time. It is a part of the game that helps keep me interested in geocaching in general. I have been very lucky to get the ones I have but I am also willing to head out at any time to go after a new cache. I have started to be a little more selective and I try to pass on the drive ups although if I haven’t found at least one for the month I will happily bag a new one. I looked at my FTF stats and found my FTF difficulty/terrain rating average to be a respectable 2.31/2.37 ( in all fairness we do have a fair amount of rating inflation in our area too) and 4% were found after/before daylight.

Back in the early days new caches were few and far between. Another cacher and myself used to battle over first to finds in San Diego county here's his log and mine from an early cache

August 26, 2001 by vagabond (3024 found)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The sound of San Diego County at 5:58 am could have logged it earlier but waited for daylite,as my headlite batteries were getting weak and couldn't see much in the dark. Gee and I drove all the way from El Cajon. I hope Mark enjoyed my message. ..LOLOLOL

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

August 26, 2001 by mark71mark (551 found)

Being young, my internal body clock is set to wake me up at 10AM - I guess as you get older it gets earlier, so Vagabond has a SERIOUS advantage over me. :blink: Therefore, I had to use my clock radio to wake me up at the ridiculous hour of 5AM. It was dark and foggy outside, so in my groggy state of mind, I hit snooze a couple of times, only to realize that it was now 5:45AM. Uh-oh... I better move fast as we have a couple of natural early risers with GPS's. Ran out the door without my morning coffee, and crossed under the I-15 (I live off of Mercy Road), not knowing where exactly to park. I checked out a new housing development, but that wasn't going to work. There's a street that runs real close to the cache, and I possibly parked illegally there on the street, as there's no shoulder, but I wasn't going to be long. Well, I got within 100 feet of the cache, but my route was exponentially increasing in terrain difficulty, so I aborted and slid my way back down to the creek. I parked at the recommended spot, and practically ran to the cache. I knew I was the first to come this way because I kept running into cobwebs across the trail. I got to the cache, and DANG-IT, some nightowl had been there before 6AM. Oh well, I took the wrist strap and left a carabiner key ring and Coronado Bridge Pass.

[view this log on a separate page]

Mark lived about a mile from the cache, and I had to drive about 20 miles to get to it so it was great to steal that one from him :D

Mark and I used to have a lot of fun on FTFs and I know that there were a few irritated cachers, but what the heck they had the same chance as we did.

Any more I don't bother very often with first to finds,if I happen to hit one fine, but I dont go after them like I did back then :angry::lol::lol:

edit to add I'm not even sure how many I have somewhere between 180 and 200 would be my guess

Edited by vagabond