Topo Vs Metroguide Canada

MapSource MetroGuide Canada v4

Garmin

Provides detailed maps that show interstates, highways, roads, and streets for major metropolitan areas. Includes address lookup capability, points of interest and select products provide automatic route calculation on the PC only.

MapSource TOPO Canada

Garmin

This CD features digital topo maps for Canadathat are comparable to the NTS 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 scale paper maps. Detail includes terrain contours, elevations, POI information, summits, trails and some roads.

Well it depends what you are looking for because they are designed for two different operations. As you can see above if your looking for road maps then MG would probably be the best, but if your looking to topo quality maps for your Garmin for back country navigation then Topo Canada. But don't just rely on your GPS get a good topo map do your backcountry navigation by. Use the GPS as a backup and an aid. Just my advise. If your looking to purchase this software send me an email I bet I can save you some money. I have my own mapping company. I also have the Legend C. Let me know if I can help.

Which software would be best for my GPS(Legend C)? As I understand the MG has more details than the Topo, making it a large map. Would it be wise to have just the area I frequently travel in with a MG map and keep the way to the cottage, beach, etc a Topo map?

As previously stated, your choice is really between the Mapsource City Navigator v8 or mapsource metroguide v4. Navigator will require much more memory thus a smaller map on your unit. I would leave the topo maps for anything that really specifically requires you knowing elevation etc etc.

Both TOPO Canada and MetroGuide Canada will autoroute on both the PC and the GPS receiver.

Here's a helpful link:

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapso...differences.htm

MapSource MetroGuide Canada v4

Garmin

Provides detailed maps that show interstates, highways, roads, and streets for major metropolitan areas. Includes address lookup capability, points of interest and select products provide automatic route calculation on the PC only.

MapSource TOPO Canada

Garmin

This CD features digital topo maps for Canadathat are comparable to the NTS 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 scale paper maps. Detail includes terrain contours, elevations, POI information, summits, trails and some roads.

Well it depends what you are looking for because they are designed for two different operations. As you can see above if your looking for road maps then MG would probably be the best, but if your looking to topo quality maps for your Garmin for back country navigation then Topo Canada. But don't just rely on your GPS get a good topo map do your backcountry navigation by. Use the GPS as a backup and an aid. Just my advise. If your looking to purchase this software send me an email I bet I can save you some money. I have my own mapping company. I also have the Legend C. Let me know if I can help.

Edited by jay11

Some more info:

# of POI's	Miles of roads
Canada Metroguide v4				748,913	   878,607
Canada Topo v2					  296,782	   878,166
City Navigator North America v8	 420,575	   788,937

The numbers for City Navigator North America are just for the 25 maps that cover Canada.
The POI's for Canada Topo v2 aren't restaurants, services, etc. as in the Metroguide and City Navigator maps,
but are land features, water features, manmade features, camping and picnic areas, etc.

I agree that it depends what you want to do... I use topo when hiking or backpacking and metroguide for auto-routing. An important difference between the two is that the topo will not do auto-routing to a street "address", you need MG or CN for that. Metroguide also seems to show regional parks better than the topo (shows them with a colour fill) which is often helpful if you are geocaching.