Garmin Geocaching Function (60 And 76 Series)

well, as much as I really, really like my Garmin 60csx (and I do!! it's pretty incredible), the geocache function that's advertised, doesn't really do all that much, IMO.

granted, what was included may have been the bare minimum possible to do before the unit's launch, but now I am sure there must be a working list of updates they want to do / are doing w/ the firmware.

so, given that there are a lot of opinions out there, and maybe if anyone from garmin lurks here on this board, perhaps if they got some 'customer input' on what it should do, then they could bring that forward to the powers that be and see if they can develop any of it (e.g. priorities from people out there using the product, not just what the developers would think is cool).

so, post away. (and no, I don't work for garmin or have anything to do w/ them or even know anyone there).

suggested assumptions:

- Assume garmin 60 /76 series (same software for the most part, I believe) - gpsr units as they currently exist (e.g. changes enabled by firmware update only - exclude manufacturing changes)

- Current s/w releases are 2.7 for gps chipset and 3.0 for garmin s/w (e.g. if there's a function you wish for that exists as of those releases, don't list it).

- suggestions must be reasonably possible to do with the unit (hard to define cleanly, but you know what I mean).

a few starter ideas:

- preload more geocaching icons into the unit (e.g. virtual cache, etc.). I know (and have) downloaded them myself, but it would save some research and a few steps.

- allow the unit to display html (or other, maybe plain) formatted cache text, logs, hints, etc. from geocaching.com web site..put a link in the waypoint that when clicked would pull up an info page for the cache, stored and downloaded to the microsd card. this could enable paperless caching, but all on the garmin form factor, rugged device, which already has plenty of memory if you buy a bigger chip.

- enable 'profiles', such as geocaching, driving, etc. that make numerous changes to the unit settings (e.g. lock on road, route follow road vs. not, track on /off, etc) (I know this has been discussed before in other topics .. is a great idea that to me would make it easier to switch from driving mode to geocaching/ hiking mode).

Well............. I would certainly agree that it would be nice if the virtual, multi, puzzle, etc. icons went into the unit and were then recognized by the geocaching mode. I've wanted that ever since I started caching. As it is, I don't manually load any of those icons and change the cache info in my unit to reflect those icons because then the caches won't show up when I "find, geocache".

I also can't understand why they limit the amount of cache text to such an insanely small amount. I'd like to see the full name, hint, etc. available on my unit.