Divide This Forum By Country Please

Qurius

Hello can you make a

Norwegian forum, and one for the danes and the swedes also ?

Since this trad is manly used by finnish.

Kind regards

Qurius

Norway

At least Norwegians and Swedes (maybe also Danes) have their own forums on some other server (not run by Groundspeak). I don't think there would be any traffic on the non-Finnish boards here.

90%+ of the threads here which are about Norway, Sweden or Denmark (or Iceland) are started by foreigners planning a visit to one of those countries.

Hello can you make a

Norwegian forum, and one for the danes and the swedes also ?

Since this trad is manly used by finnish.

Kind regards

Qurius

Norway

At least Norwegians and Swedes (maybe also Danes) have their own forums on some other server (not run by Groundspeak). I don't think there would be any traffic on the non-Finnish boards here.

90%+ of the threads here which are about Norway, Sweden or Denmark (or Iceland) are started by foreigners planning a visit to one of those countries.

Well, I'm Norwegian and I think most of us Norwegian does not talk here because they feel they have to do it in English. And with lots of Finish talks already here, it is not easy to get a good overview of what happening in Norway. And that has led to numerous norwegian forums where there are only norwegian (or those who understand Norwegian and Norwegians understand, like Swedish and Danish people).

I think we (Norwegians) now feel that we need a common place for the Norwegian language.

I think the Swedish have already found their common place, unfortunaly not on Groundspeak.

Regards

F0NIX (Tromsø, Norway)

We can't be sure about the amount of traffic unless we test it. If there is no traffic during (for exampe) one year, these quiet forums could be removed. It doesn't cost "anything" and certainly it wouldn't cause any harm for Finnish discussions :anitongue:

In addition, it would be easier to find discussions related to those countries if they were under Groundspeak (e.g. when planning a trip there). Currently I don't have any idea where those discussions might be...

In addition, it would be easier to find discussions related to those countries if they were under Groundspeak (e.g. when planning a trip there). Currently I don't have any idea where those discussions might be...

Every now and then someone asks something about those countries (just now there is someone planning a trip to Norway) and someone tells url to that countrys website. Then the thread gets buried and someone asks again...

We might have the urls listed in a pinned topic and admins could just move the questions to that thread :anitongue:

Back to dividing the forum: It might be difficult to justify a Norwegian forum, when there hasn't been a single posting in that language for ages. "Oh, you want a new forum? For what discussion?" In Usenet news when you propose a group to be splitted you have to show significant amount of traffic which would be moved to the new group ("forum") before the admins even consider the split. Here we have no traffic at all.

Please, all you Norwegians: Feel free to post here. If you begin your topics with "NOR:" we won't get mixed. Even if most of Finns wouldn't understand most of the text, we'd be happy to know there's some life in your country, too :anitongue:

Back to dividing the forum: It might be difficult to justify a Norwegian forum, when there hasn't been a single posting in that language for ages. "Oh, you want a new forum? For what discussion?" In Usenet news when you propose a group to be splitted you have to show significant amount of traffic which would be moved to the new group ("forum") before the admins even consider the split. Here we have no traffic at all.

And with this setup, there won't be other than Finnish-English discussions in the future (IMHO). This is not usenet news, so I suppose that the same rules don't necessarily apply. But I don't know about the forum rules, though...

Please, all you Norwegians: Feel free to post here. If you begin your topics with "NOR:" we won't get mixed. Even if most of Finns wouldn't understand most of the text, we'd be happy to know there's some life in your country, too :rolleyes:

I understand these Norwegians (and other non-Finnish people also). It's slightly frustrating to come to see the discussion when almost all topics are in Finnish. There is no reason for re-visit the forum in that case. So, there will never be more discussion in those languages. In Groundspeak there are other forums ("German speaking", "French speaking") which are divided by the language. Nordic countries have been just set up by the area, main languages are completely different. Maybe there was a reason for that in the early days, but things can change.

I rather read fully Finnish (or English) discussion than a very mixed version. It is easier to find the most interesting topics when all topics are written in an "understandable" :anitongue: language. But hey, this is only my opinion. I'm lazy and I want everything to be as convenient as possible :laughing: From this point of view, the forum is currently excellent for Finnish speaking people but awful for others. If the main language used here was e.g. Swedish, I know that I would never read this forum :anitongue:

I understand these Norwegians (and other non-Finnish people also). It's slightly frustrating to come to see the discussion when almost all topics are in Finnish. There is no reason for re-visit the forum in that case. So, there will never be more discussion in those languages. In Groundspeak there are other forums ("German speaking", "French speaking") which are divided by the language. Nordic countries have been just set up by the area, main languages are completely different. Maybe there was a reason for that in the early days, but things can change

Well I don't know if dead empty forum section is any better?

If the main language used here was e.g. Swedish, I know that I would never read this forum :anitongue:

Even it says that feel free to write in Finnish too?

Well let's ask what forum administrators think about this matter so we know if it is possible at all.

Edit: Asked and waiting for answer...

Edited by Geovius

Well I don't know if dead empty forum section is any better?

No, it's not. I just thought that there may be more active writers if they are separated. But I may be wrong.

If the main language used here was e.g. Swedish, I know that I would never read this forum :anitongue:

Even it says that feel free to write in Finnish too?

I was talking about the amount of information that is available for me, I'm usually quite lazy to write anything. If the amount of information is low for me, I wouldn't bother to visit the site. But, as said, that's only my behaviour.

I do really, really not understand what the problem is with giving us from Norway our own forum. We don't neccesarily need to have it now, but we want Groundspeak to tell us that it can and will be done if we want.

For your information did Qurius ask this question at the start of this tread because we have two forums in Norway, and want to merge them to one. It might be the easiest way to get this through if we place the forum where it should have been in the first instance; at Groundspeak.

I would like to put something clear:

We pay the same good money to Groundspeak

It costs close to nothing to make a new forum (and delete it if it is not used)

The Finns may still continue to post at Groundspeak

Having the Norwegian forum here will also help tourists to get advices regarding caching in Norway in an easy way.

Please tell if there exists any good reason not to give us our own space here. We have close to none relation with the Finnish cachers.

Regards

HeraTheDog

Edited by HundenHera

I do really, really not understand what the problem is with giving us from Norway our own forum.

It is not a problem!

But question is why can't you write here right now?

And yes you can use your own language if you like.

I personally would like to see more non Finnish cachers writing in here.

Of course if all Nordic and Baltic people would write here in their own language discussion might be get little difficult to follow. That is not the problem right now!

If forum will be split I would like to see that in national forums language is mainly local and general Nordic issues would be written here using English. And yes I would like to see Nordic co-operation also in this field.

***GeoviusM

It is not a problem!

But question is why can't you write here right now?

And yes you can use your own language if you like.

We can of course write here now, but we want something better than what we have. It is NOT better being mixed up with posts in a language we (unfortunately) have no way to understand.

Of course if all Nordic and Baltic people would write here in their own language discussion might be get little difficult to follow. That is not the problem right now!

I think the reason why you don't see any is because this space is completely filled with you Finns. This forum appears as the Finnish forum, but it has a wrong name.

This forum was evidently made by someone that hadn't any knowledge of our part of the world. A forum made to discuss "common geocaching questions in Norway and Latvia" seems a very bad idea. Lets face it; it will never work!

If forum will be split I would like to see that in national forums language is mainly local and general Nordic issues would be written here using English. And yes I would like to see Nordic co-operation also in this field.

I can't really see any "general Nordic issue" that isn't a general Geocaching issue? And again; what has Latvia and Norway in common?

We want, and WILL make, ONE pure Norwegian forum. If we are not able to do it here, we will do it some other place. I don't think anyone would argue for that our forum should not be on Groundspeak.

Regards

HeraTheDog

Edited by HundenHera

I can't really see any "general Nordic issue" that isn't a general Geocaching issue?

I can see many issues because of cultural and historical background between Nordic countries.

Also we must take account that so called everyman's right are more widely applied in these countries.

I also think that so called geocaching tourism will be more common between Nordic countries in the future.

And again; what has Latvia and Norway in common?

Both are small countries and belong to NATO for example. :laughing:

Edited by Geovius

I can see many issues because of cultural and historical background between Nordic countries.

In Norway we have without doubt much more cultural and historical background with Germany and England than with Balticum. This argument would place us in their forum.

I also think that so called geocaching tourism will be more common between Nordic countries in the future.

Norway is full of Germans every summer. Your argument should then place us as a participant in the German forum

And again; what has Latvia and Norway in common?

Both are small countries and belong to NATO for example.

Then we should be in the forum of "Small geocaching countries in NATO".

Please bear in mind that "Nordic and Baltic Countries" does obviously not look the same from Finland as from Norway.

The request that starts this thread is should be handled in a serious manner. Again: We want, and WILL make, ONE pure Norwegian forum. If we are not able to do it here, we will do it some other place. Do you really want us to do that?

Regards

HeraTheDog

Edited by HundenHera

I think the reason why you don't see any is because this space is completely filled with you Finns.

It is not "filled", there is no space limit... Meaning if we had current Finnish traffic and same amount in Norwegian, it would be half Finnish, half Norwegian (and it would still be capable of holding some Latvian and Danish stuff). But I see what you mean :laughing:

We want, and WILL make, ONE pure Norwegian forum. If we are not able to do it here, we will do it some other place. I don't think anyone would argue for that our forum should not be on Groundspeak.

I always thought that both the Swedish and the Norwegians already had own forums in their own languages. Is the problem that you have two in Norwegian and you'd like to have a third one that you think would attract the users from both of those?

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against you having your own forum. I'm just wondering what were the reasons why you originally left Groundspeak forums in the first place and are those reasons now history?

I always thought that both the Swedish and the Norwegians already had own forums in their own languages. Is the problem that you have two in Norwegian and you'd like to have a third one that you think would attract the users from both of those?

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against you having your own forum. I'm just wondering what were the reasons why you originally left Groundspeak forums in the first place and are those reasons now history?

As stated in one of my previous posts:

"For your information did Qurius ask this question at the start of this tread because we have two forums in Norway, and want to merge them to one. It might be the easiest way to get this through if we place the forum where it should have been in the first instance; at Groundspeak".

This process will be done in cooperation with the existing forum owners. As I also have said, "We don't neccesarily need to have it now, but we want Groundspeak to tell us that it can and will be done if we want.. Thus, we are in a process, and I will say I am really supprised about the reactions here.

I do not know the history about having two Norwegian forums and not beeing here. I don't think that matters.

Regards;

HeraTheDog

Thus, we are in a process, and I will say I am really supprised about the reactions here.

Which reactions?

We haven't denied your demand.

We have just been discussed from it.

I do not know the history about having two Norwegian forums and not beeing here. I don't think that matters.

It doesn't matter, but we are just curious.

This is little bit OT, but what comes to tourism it is true that Germans visit Norway in great masses if we look absolute values. But if we compare figures and population of the countries we see different trend.

The request that starts this thread is should be handled in a serious manner.

Request should be made to the forum's administrator team.

Have you done it already?

First of all, there may be a reason to the fact that Norway is not a member of EU? ;)

Maybe we are some strange people that do not like to mingle with others? And maybe we dont like to be compared all the time to others? We like it where we are and like to talk in our own language between us in our fine little (but long) country.

I think the reason for almost none of the norwegian geoachers are discussing here is the fact that they dont feel like they have their "own space" to talk in. And when you have other alternatives, the Norwegian offcourse choose to do their talking in a Norwegian only forum. And since we now have a numerous forums popping up around in Norway in addition to the two big ones mentioned earlier, it is time to reunite Norway as viking king Harald Hårfagre did in his days, and get a common place for all Norwegian geocachers.

And as HundenHera says, we are starting that prosess now and it would be nice if the common place could be here at Groundspeak as it should have been from the start. But if that is not possible a big common norwegian forum will come forth either here or on its own server. To bad for foreigners if it should not be here.

The exact reason of why it is like it is today is hard to say, I am probably guilty myself since I discovered both this forum and the norwegian forums at the same time, and I choosed the Norwegian because it felt right at that time. The language was the main reason for me.

I think the reason for almost none of the norwegian geoachers are discussing here is the fact that they dont feel like they have their "own space" to talk in.

Of course you may do what ever makes you happy, but why do you need your "own space"? Since we all are allowed to use our own languages, why can't you write in Norwegian in this space?

This is not intended as an insult, but I consider Norway to be one of the Nordic Countries.

And what is so bad about Finns, anyway? They are dominating the conversations, but whose fault is that? Start writing more in yours.

I think the reason for almost none of the norwegian geoachers are discussing here is the fact that they dont feel like they have their "own space" to talk in.

Of course you may do what ever makes you happy, but why do you need your "own space"? Since we all are allowed to use our own languages, why can't you write in Norwegian in this space?

This is not intended as an insult, but I consider Norway to be one of the Nordic Countries.

And what is so bad about Finns, anyway? They are dominating the conversations, but whose fault is that? Start writing more in yours.

- You will find the answer to your questions higher up in the thread.

HeraTheDog

Edited by HundenHera

So at this moment I think that we would need two subforums, one for Finland and one for Norway.

My Ide is to give Denmark a danish , Sweden a swedish, Finnland a finnish and Norway a norwegan. So they who are not so bad in english as i am has the posibillity to ask and get answers on ther own language.

Here is a copy of the reply from Groundspeak:

<Hi Morten,

<Thank you. We will discuss the change with our local admin and I will make sure that it happens. It may <take a few more days since I am away from the office for the balance of this week.

<Sincerely,

<Bryan

<Bryan Roth

<Groundspeak Inc.

So we will all have our own part of it ! Nice