Theme Caches

readmore

I've had an idea for a theme cache for awhile but before actually doing it I wanted to see what people's thoughts were. I want to create a books only cache that is clearly marked, "Please trade books only". Is it fair to expect people to abide by that rule? Are there other caches like this already? I haven't seen any in my area.

I've had an idea for a theme cache for awhile but before actually doing it I wanted to see what people's thoughts were. I want to create a books only cache that is clearly marked, "Please trade books only". Is it fair to expect people to abide by that rule? Are there other caches like this already? I haven't seen any in my area.

There are several caches like that (in fact, I own one) and I think that it is fair to expect people to either trade a book or not trade anything. That being said, what are you going to do if someone does trade differently.

:) I love theme caches! If people don't want to do them, they don't have to. I would, however, suggest a very, very good and watertight container for your cache. Perhaps a large zipper bag also inside for the books to keep stuff dry or "double container" it.

I like themed caches and have traded at both a books in the woods cache and a DVD cache. One cache I went to was a patch trading cache and I had to TNLNSL because I did not have a patch to trade. I would suggest you mark the cache/log that it is a themed cache so those who just download coords without reading the page will know when they get there.

Here are some examples:

Plenty'O'Patches

DVD Quick Stop Trader

Liquor Cache 93 South

OK, the last one is not what the name implies. LOL

This one is one of mine:

Mickey D Toys

As the name implies you need to trade Mickey D Toys. No TNLNSL allowed. So far I have not had anyone break that rule. (Occasionally someone will sneak in a Burger King toy.) A few people grumble about it, but they got over it. So if you have that type of rule make it clear.

Loch Cache

I had a books only(plus TB's) cache. I found that using a .50 cal ammo can worked well for paperbacks. I put the books in indivdual, large freezer bags. Everything stayed dry , even when it was opened in the rain. Stand the books up. I had lots of trades and lots of TB's. After about 10 months it was stolen. I'd do it again.

Edited by wiseye

I love themed caches, makes it a little more exciting for me. I have done a few, one was only Mountain Dew green colored trades, one was angels only and of course there are sport themes and such. I would suspect that some people will not care and either not trade at all or trade the wrong stuff but that seems to happen with all caches. One of our caches has only items that start with the letter M. Someone left a "mustard" colored jeep. I loved the creativity. I have not gone to the cache to verify that it is indeed "mustard" but I will take the cachers word for it!

I like the idea of a books only cache, but wanted to re-iterate the concerns above of "what will you do if someone trades against the theme"? I have a penguin-themed cache, and, well, even with loose rules (penguin "related" was ok, as long as it was ice age or arctic/antarctic in nature, and TB's were always welcome), many trades have gone against the theme. I also have a cat themed cache (almost all cat-related was ok, but no catnip or cat food/treats, and all tb's again are fine), again - lots of non-themed trades. Then again, I've been to an airplane themed cache, and when I was there, every item in the cache was a toy airplane (the cache was over a year old at the time).

My solution to non-themed trades is: go out, take new cat or penguin swag, and trade out the non-themed stuff. Then, if it's ok stuff, I'll just use it at trades at other caches. If not, I decide if it's chuckable stuff, or some other purpose stuff. Just, be prepared to sometimes have to take out new (for the cache) books and replace the non-book items.

I like theme caches and enjoy finding an item to trade that fits within the theme.

I have three theme caches

Geocaching "Rocks" - Rocks, Minerals, Gems

Ghost Dance - Native American/Animal

Thank You Betsy Ross - Patriotic/Red, White & Blue

I have found that about 80% of the finders trade within the theme. When I do maintenance I just pull out the items that are not within the theme and place them in another cache.

GEO.JOE

My first cache is for trading enamel pins. Not everyone's into that, but the folks who've found it that aren't into it have just signed the log and moved on to the next cache.

I know of one cache that takes the theme a step further by having a science fiction book theme.

I love themed caches, it's a great way to keep the cache from filling up with broken toys.

Themed caches are great as long as you don't make any stupid logging requirements (SLR) like "you have to trade on theme to log the cache". Simply put a "If you're going to trade, please stick to the theme, otherwise take nothing, leave nothing" type note on the page. There's a lot of us who don't even carry swag items as we have zero interest in trading.

I have plans for a book swapping cache, though it will take a while as we're about to move to a new area so we're going to need some time to get to know our surroundings and work out where it might fit. Does anyone know if there are any already in the UK? As far as I can tell all the examples given so far are US ones. (I confess I only checked the location of those who posted about them, rather than all the individual cache pages :anitongue: )

Excellent idea!

this is a 1/1 cache that is drive up and grab. expect to be in the area for about an hour and a half to allow wash and drying time. Please! For the Love of all that is good in the world! DO NOT LEAVE DIRTY SOCKS!

after field testing this (by leaving one of my own socks in a sealed ammo can for 3 weeks in august) and opening the can... Birds fell from the sky, Dogs howled all day long, and the cows all stopped giving milk for the rest of the week.

:huh::P:P