City Navigator Upgrade From City Select

GeoBobC

I received the following email from Garmin. I have City Select v6 and use it on a 60cx.

Is this upgrade worth $75?

Garmin is excited to announce our latest update to City Navigator North America v8. We now offer our premium mapping software City Navigator as an update to your existing City Select. You will have all the same great features, plus more, for the same update price of $75.00!

Features of this update include:

** High quality, premium map data for only $75.00!

** Updated coverage of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico

** General update for freeways, interstates, national and state highways, local, county and residential roads

** Updated more than 6 million miles of road coverage

** Added 46 new cities and expanded coverage for metro areas

** Expanded coverage throughout Canada

** Updated nearly 6 million points of interest

For me, I'd check if there was significantly worthwhile updated road info near me.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/ (map viewer on right)

Unfortunately the map viewer won't zoom in close enough to see if some of the errors in my area have been fixed. City Select v7 insists there is an onramp to highway 99 at 5th avenue where I live. There has never been an onramp there. Checking the City Navigator map viewer for a fix it will only zoom in as far as 200 feet and doesn't show if there is an onramp there or not. It doesn't zoom in far enough to tell if there is one at 1st avenue which actually does exist. This pretty much makes the map viewer useless for determining if there are updates for my area.

I got am email from garmin about the upgrade from city select V7 to the city navigator V8 for $75.... I don't think for me it would be worth it. I bought a gps18(came with city select) and also use the maps on our legendC. Since then I bought a 60cx so for that $75 upgrade I would still be without maps for my new unit(the upgrade would only be good for the units I have cityselect unlocked for).

I think I would rather spend full price for the software and have two new unlock codes, and only be using one of those codes to get maps for my 60cx. I'm perfectly happy with the gps18/legendC using city select V7.

I should also say that all the errors I have in my area with cityselect V7 are still present in city navigator V8(checked via garmin map viewer and a friends software).

Edited by hogrod

When I went from City Select V5 to V7 I lost 3 of my favorite stores (they haven't moved in many years or gone out of business). Also, a friend's hair salon magically appeared, but in an outdated location and with the name mispelled. I think I will at least check the viewer to see if they are back before spending the money!

Question: Does installing the new version invalidate the previous version? If not, it would make sense to go on and install the new, then check it out on my on computer. But I wouldn't want to mess things up for my 60CS, which I doubt can effectively use this latest.

Well, ain't that interesting. I went ahead and ordered the update from Garmin. I wasn't charged anything. I called Garmin and they said the update is free, but I will need to pay $75 for the unlock codes.

If you installed and unlocked the older version of CN/CS after the release date for CNv8, then you get the update DVD for free and your unlock codes are free - it's a completely free update. The $75 charge for new unlock codes only applies if you installed+unlocked an older CN/CS before the CNv8 release date (i.e., before April 5th).

When I went from City Select V5 to V7 I lost 3 of my favorite stores (they haven't moved in many years or gone out of business). Also, a friend's hair salon magically appeared, but in an outdated location and with the name mispelled. I think I will at least check the viewer to see if they are back before spending the money!

Question: Does installing the new version invalidate the previous version? If not, it would make sense to go on and install the new, then check it out on my on computer. But I wouldn't want to mess things up for my 60CS, which I doubt can effectively use this latest.

No, you can access the older versions still under mapsource. At least for the other versions of CS and CN I have.

I had v6 well before the ship date, so I will need to pay $75 for the unlock codes. I do find it interesting that I will have the update for free to use on my PC. I just cannot load maps to the GPS.

Question: do I get two entirely new unlock codes? In other words, could I use the original unlock codes with two GPS units, and the two new unlock codes with two different GPS units?

I had v6 well before the ship date, so I will need to pay $75 for the unlock codes. I do find it interesting that I will have the update for free to use on my PC. I just cannot load maps to the GPS.

Question: do I get two entirely new unlock codes? In other words, could I use the original unlock codes with two GPS units, and the two new unlock codes with two different GPS units?

Yes to the new unlock codes (somebody correct me if I'm wrong - it's been several months since I last went through this), but when I upgraded from CS V5 to V7 it insisted on unlocking first for my 60CS (I have a 60CS and a 60CSx) there might have been a way around that, but since I wanted to unlock for both the 60CS and the new 60CSx anyway, I went that route. That's one reason I have held on to the 60CS; I'm afraid that if I sell it or hand it down I'll be stuck on future upgrades.

Hmmm..that would be a problem for me, since I sold my first unlocked GPS; I only have my second.

I went on and ordered the update disk, since no cost is involved in that. During the order process (after asking me for my customer code) it listed my 60CS as the only unit, so you might try going through the order process and see which of your unit(s) appear. in the email notice they sent out was this paragraph:

"While you wait for your Update DVD to arrive, please visit my.garmin.com and create an account with us. This new online portal will allow you to keep track of any of your Garmin products in one convenient location. If you have previously unlocked or registered a Garmin product you can ?Add? these to your new account so you are ready to go when your update arrives!"

I haven't done that yet, but that might be the key to make sure your new unit is the "primary" one.

When you unlock the update, you will still be able to unlock it to two units.

Just be sure when you order the update that you provide a coupon code tied to your newest handheld... otherwise you'll need to spend some time on the phone getting Garmin to unlock your newest unit and not the one you haven't used in over a year. (and maintaining your second unlock.)

Hmmm..that would be a problem for me, since I sold my first unlocked GPS; I only have my second.

I went on and ordered the update disk, since no cost is involved in that. During the order process (after asking me for my customer code) it listed my 60CS as the only unit, so you might try going through the order process and see which of your unit(s) appear. in the email notice they sent out was this paragraph:

"While you wait for your Update DVD to arrive, please visit my.garmin.com and create an account with us. This new online portal will allow you to keep track of any of your Garmin products in one convenient location. If you have previously unlocked or registered a Garmin product you can ?Add? these to your new account so you are ready to go when your update arrives!"

I haven't done that yet, but that might be the key to make sure your new unit is the "primary" one.

I called Garmin. I have the same issue (a 60CS and a 60CSx) and only the 60CS shows up on the order page. Garmin support told me that I need to unlock my 60CS first and then the 60CSx. I said that while I still had the 60CS, I understood that the map segments were bigger in CN and so CN ver 8 is really the wrong product for my 60CS. He agreed and said that if I "ever" got a third unit Garmin would "work with me" to get me an unluck code for it. But, thus, for the moment, both my unlock codes will be used, one of which on a unit that I won't even use the software on. I asked if he could right now just allow me to unlock the 60CSx and give me the option of unlocking a 3rd unit. He said "no." This is not a big deal now as I do not have a 3rd unit.

Oh, I also asked what happens to people who have sold their first unit. He said that would be a problem but this could be resolved with a call to Garmin. He also said that he knew that all this unlock stuff was causing lots of problems, as people upgrade. Also, I have one coupon code for both units. So, I cannot somehow pretend that I own only the 60CSx.

Edited by mgabel

...I understood that the map segments were bigger in CN and so CN ver 8 is really the wrong product for my 60CS. He agreed...

Great :D . That is the only option us 60CS users have.

edited to add: I realize that CN V8 will work in my 60CS, and I am planning to upgrade and use it; however, it is mildly annoying that a Garmin rep acknowledges that I have sort of been ignored.

Edited by CenTexDodger

I have two GPS units unlocked to City Select V6. I sold the original unit. I upgraded to City Navigator V8. I called Garmin and the tech stepped me through the unlock process online. I ended up with two unlock codes: one for the original sold unit, and one for the present unit I own. It is possible to do this online without assistance.

I will now have City Select V6, City Navigator V8, and one 60cX that is unlocked to both versions. I sold the original 60c to a friend, so I could give him the original CS V6 disks and the original unlock code. He could then use the CS V6 software to load maps to his unit.