Is This Acceptable? Your Opinion.

Hi all,

I am planning to hide a few geo-caches with a local history theme, kind of like a historical scavenger hunt multi. The primary source of historical info will be reprinted from a county history book published by our local Historical Society (with their permission of course).

Here is the question. The Historical Society has fallen on hard times, to the point of selling off some of its holdings. I was wondering if I could post the book title on the cache page along with info on how to buy one if anyone would be interested? They helped me plan these caches, I'd like to return the favor.

MY DISCLAIMER: I in no way profit from this book, aside for frequenting the library of the society it supports.

What do you think??

THJs

My guess is that it'll open up a can of worms, so I wouldn't mention it in the cache title or description. Regardless of intent, I consider it bad form to solicit, even for non-profits and charities.

Why not post a note after the cache is published and mention it there instead?

Soliciting customers to purchase the book is against the guidelines posted here.

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Your area reviewer may very well likely post in this thread to give you a better idea of what he would suggest, but I don't see how a link to purchase the book isn't violating what I've quoted above.

rbrugman offers a great idea, however!

One answer is to seek permission in advance to put info about where to purchase the book on the cache page. With Groundspeak permission it could be added to the cache page.

I also like the idea of the first finders prize.

*edit* Quiggle beat me to it. :) His answer is better.

Edited by Team Misguided

If they have a webpage and on the main webpage is a "please buy our book" link talking about the hard times, etc....then:

Post your cache page and in the description write

This cache wouldn't be possible without the help I received from <a href="their website here">Their name here</a>!

You won't run aground from the solicitation/commercial problem, as you're just acknowledging them for their help in setting up the cache. You will still be pointing people one step away from reading about their troubles and being able to help by purchasing the book if they want to take the time to read up on it on their own.