Etrex Legend Navigation Stick Problems - Common?

I received a Garmin eTrex Legend for my birthday back in January. It worked great until a month ago, when the navigation stick suddenly refused to move down. Or rather the stick itself moves, I can click "down" just fine, but the cursor does not update. Fortunately every screen wraps around, so I can just click "up" until I get to the right item. But is this a known problem with this device? It is not the color version by the way. It was purchased new and was still in the package.

I received a Garmin eTrex Legend for my birthday back in January. It worked great until a month ago, when the navigation stick suddenly refused to move down. Or rather the stick itself moves, I can click "down" just fine, but the cursor does not update. Fortunately every screen wraps around, so I can just click "up" until I get to the right item. But is this a known problem with this device? It is not the color version by the way. It was purchased new and was still in the package.

mine's older than that, but every now and then, the stick won't 'select' e.g. when I depress it straight in, it's as if I didn't do anything...I find that if I give it a knock, that usually fixes it or if I try several times, sometimes that fixes it... but I have had that problem... infrequent but does happen. if yours is always doing that, I'd call Garmin and see if they will exchange it for you...

I saw this post the other day and it caught my attention because my eTrex Legend started acting the same way -- the joystick button would not navigate/select on the screen pages. I bought my unit used off of a popular auction site back in November of 2005. It's been a great unit until just the past couple of weeks. I thought I'd give Garmin a call and see what happens.

I called today and explained the malfunctioning navigation stick. The Garmin CR I spoke to, Dave, said, "We don't like to hear of the happening." He recommended I send it in for repair. I told him up front that I did not have the original receipt. He said, "No problem. I'm going to take care of that for you." I gave him the serial number of the unit and he gave me a RMA number and address to send it in. He said it would be a 7-10 day turnaround from the time I mailed it in (which was today!).

Now that's what I call customer service. No questions asked -- let's just fix our defective product and keep our customer satisfied. WOW! Way to go, Garmin. I'm a customer for life!

Edited by 6 Feet More

I called today and explained the malfunctioning navigation stick. The Garmin CR I spoke to, Dave, said, "We don't like to hear of the happening." He recommended I send it in for repair. I told him up front that I did not have the original receipt. He said, "No problem. I'm going to take care of that for you." I gave him the serial number of the unit and he gave me a RMA number and address to send it in. He said it would be a 7-10 day turnaround from the time I mailed it in (which was today!).

Now that's what I call customer service. No questions asked -- let's just fix our defective product and keep our customer satisfied. WOW! Way to go, Garmin. I'm a customer for life!

Wow, seriously? Maybe I need to call back. The CR that I got was Michael A. and he insisted I needed to fax or e-mail a proof of purchase. I assumed this meant the receipt, so I've got my father-in-law looking for that...but if he can't find it, I will call back. My CR wasn't helpful at all. :P

I would say your just unlucky.

I wouldn't say THAT! I'd say she talked to a rep who was having a bad day. :laughing:

But by all means, call back - talk to a different rep. If the next rep still gives you a hassle, tell 'em how you heard in the geocaching.com forums how someone else got their's fixed, and it wasn't even under warranty! If you don't get satisfaction on the phone, try emailing through their Web page... CLICK HERE.

Keep going 'til someone does you right...

Edited by Neo_Geo

Oh wow, that looks like a big help! I recently replaced my iPod battery for the first time and didn't have a problem with it, so I may give that a try. Will that void my warranty? If so I will wait until I've exhausted my options with Garmin...I'm still waiting to see if my FIL finds the receipt, because if he has it I won't have to argue with Garmin.

UPDATE: today the UPS man dropped a new eTrex Legend at my door. Exactly 1 week after the unit with the intermittent navigation stick left my home for repairs. Well, they didn't repair it --- they replaced it! WOW! I say again, I am a Garmin GPSr customer for life!

Edited by 6 Feet More

UPDATE: today the UPS man dropped a new eTrex Legend at my door. Exactly 1 week after the unit with the intermittent navigation stick left my home for repairs. Well, they didn't repair it --- they replaced it! WOW! I say again, I am a Garmin GPSr customer for life!

The click stick on my legend stuck down too. I recieved a replacement unit for free also. I think Garmin has a great product and their customer service is just as good. Just follow the warrantee info on their site. I think I was without my unit for about 1.5 weeks.

Oh wow, that looks like a big help! I recently replaced my iPod battery for the first time and didn't have a problem with it, so I may give that a try. Will that void my warranty? If so I will wait until I've exhausted my options with Garmin...I'm still waiting to see if my FIL finds the receipt, because if he has it I won't have to argue with Garmin.

It most certainly WOULD void your warranty! Do this only as a last resort if you find yourself in the rare position where Garmin refuses to help you... Have you tried bugging them some more about it? :)