City Cacher Or Country Cacher

My wife and I hace distinctly different tastes. Yesterday, we were driving through beautiful countryside and was of course looking for caches. I found some interesting ones but got several " it's too hot, I'm not dressed right, I have on flip-flops". She difinitely were rather cache in town. I prefer to go to places I have never seen or been and find beautiful scenery. My question is, Are you a city cacher or country cacher. ( I know everyone does some of both).

Doc

I'm in your situation, Doc. I'd rather be out in the country, in large parks, or in greenbelts but he wife also says it's too hot or the walk is too far or too rough or some such thing.

I prefer solitude, nature, pushing myself and getting grungy, and nobody watching me. She likes those things too (except the pushing and getting grungy part), but she'd rather drive around to small city parks or urbans where the walking is easy and short and there's not too much exposure to the extremes and challenges of nature.

I prefer caching. :)

I've cached in the wilds of Alaska and the urban jungle of the American heartland. I've hidden both urban micros and country regulars. I even have a 20 gallon container I'm preparing, along with the State Park Rangers, to place on one of the remote and little used trails to encourage more use of the area.

I guess what I'm saying is that I just enjoy the hunt, and the hide. It depends on what mood I'm in. Where the caches are and how much time I have also determines what and where I hunt.

If I had to pick only one, then I'd say country caches, just because I love nature and being outdoors.

Based on GAS PRICES, I would say city caches. That and the fact that I often have children with me who need frequent facilities' stops, or want to be able to find many in one day.

Personally, I like those that are well-hidden, with some sort of a wordplay in the title and are somewhat remote. I am not an AVID hiker, but I do enjoy outdoors, fishing, photography...

But then again, with most of our valley being remote rural towns, it is often easier to drive to a larger town and walk or bike around to catch many caches there.

If by city you mean 'people are watching me trying to locate this cache in a place where theres almost always people around' then I prefer country caching. Though there are some some very nice and secluded city parks and trails, those are nice too :) .

If I'm in the city, Mrs Northwes doesn't have to worry about what to wear (she's always well-dressed for city caching). However, when she's along on 'country caches' I have to make sure I've done my homework & have coached her on what to wear (in particular, footwear). She'll never forget the cache we did in the Arizona desert where I'd forgotten it was a little bit of a cross-country multi (and told her 'looks like the cache is just a few hundred yards up the trail...'). Got to the coordinates, realized it was a multi, gulped ;) , and said 'uh, honey... I think we have to hike another quarter-mile up the wash...' - forgetting that washes tend to wander a bit, so half a mile later in sandals she was unimpressed with my preplanning abilities! However, when telling the story she's also the first to claim 'the final was worth it too!' - as we got to see some stunning landforms, plantlife, and petroglyphs just outside the western unit of Saguaro National Park (at woodcutter's Petroglyphs and Rocks in Arrastre Wash Cache) That particular hide was a perfect Arizona example of a 'country' hide that delights, informs, and leaves us wanting to find more.

We're usually fans for the country, but a well-done urban hide brings its own sense of accomplishment when you can get in & out without the muggles tumbling to what you're doing.

My wife has NO interest in urban caching. Give her a nice walk in the woods and she gets more interested by far. She will never be an avid cacher but we have done some nice walks together. I think the longest one we did was about 9 miles. Not an incredibly long hike for many folks but it was a pretty good one for us - up the hill and along the crest and back down a steep path. The last 40 minutes was walking out (along a road by that time) by the light of a full moon. It was a great day.

I do urban and country caches. While I have found some interesting urban caches - some very interesting virtuals - I've enjoyed the scenery and experience of the country caches more.

My wife has NO interest in urban caching. Give her a nice walk in the woods and she gets more interested by far. She will never be an avid cacher but we have done some nice walks together. I think the longest one we did was about 9 miles. Not an incredibly long hike for many folks but it was a pretty good one for us

Not a long hike!!! 9 miles might just kill me! Hike away Thrak! ;)

I prefer country, but usually don't have any problem with doing urban caches. I like the urban caches to be in relatively quiet areas, but I have fun with both.

My wife prefers urban caches, but she will enjoy country caches as long as they are not in the mountains. We have a standing joke with our caching partners: when Mrs. Boda lets out a loud gasp, we know this is the place to stop and take that scenic picture over the cliff and steep valley.

If by city you mean 'people are watching me trying to locate this cache in a place where theres almost always people around' then I prefer country caching. Though there are some some very nice and secluded city parks and trails, those are nice too ;) .

I agree completely. Around here, (as Doc & Doc's Wife likely know) there's a lot of "lemme see if you have stealth skills" caches. I hate them. argh. I know - there are people who love them. Notice, I did *not* say I wish they were outlawed, just that *I* don't like them. A well done cache in an out of the way spot in the city - perfect. Lemme see these neat and almost forgotten gems of the city. Or, if there's just a nice greenway for walking along, that too makes me happy. But, the ones where you have 15 muggles looking at you like they think you are breaking the aw - or worse - those make me frustrated, even if we do find the cache. My favorites are the ones where you haven't seen a house for 5 miles when you finally find parking, and there's a bit of a hike to go from there with cool scenery (not so often found in our corner of Indiana).

Unfortunately, I'm in the exact opposite boat of the OP. I (the wife) LOVE the country caches. JAPTKD (hubby) loves the urban caches. And, since we live in a relatively urban setting, he gets his favorite caches a lot more often than I do. oh well - they're still caches!

My wife and I hace distinctly different tastes. Yesterday, we were driving through beautiful countryside and was of course looking for caches. I found some interesting ones but got several " it's too hot, I'm not dressed right, I have on flip-flops". She difinitely were rather cache in town. I prefer to go to places I have never seen or been and find beautiful scenery. My question is, Are you a city cacher or country cacher. ( I know everyone does some of both).

Doc

country. definitely. in dresses and sandals, I don't care! hate hunting for micros in public places.

Honestly, I just like caches. Sometimes I want one or two nice caches out of a great hike, other times I want a cluster in a large park, and still other times I'd rather do a few quick grabs in an urban setting...and everything inbetween. They all have their own appeal, depending on the weather, my health, my mood, and how much time I have that day.

I'm really fond of caches that show me something that I would have never seen if the cache hadn't taken me there.

I like caches that take you to places that have a high surprise factor, regardless of whether they're city or country. We live in the mountains, and it was quite awhile before I knew that the skirts on lamp posts lifted up. I've done a few of these, and, like many of the city caches I've seen, I found them disappointing. However, I know I'm spoiled living where I live, so I suppose it's really "cache where there are caches." ;)