Hong Kong Geocoins

ozymandiasism

Hi there,

First of all, I want to thank everyone again for purchasing and trading with my Double Dragon Geocoins. I have learned so much over the course of the process and it has truly been a fantastic and fun experience!

I am now working towards my next project: Hong Kong Geocoin

Let me give you a little history lesson on this China Pearl:

The name "Hong Kong", literally meaning "fragrant harbor", was a British colony from 1842, until its sovereignty was transferred to China in 1997. Hong Kong is on the eastern side of the Pearl River Delta on the southeastern coast of China, facing the South China Sea in the south, and bordering Guangdong Province in the north.

Hong Kong consists of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories. The entire city has 236 islands in the South China Sea, of which Lantau is the largest. Hong Kong Island itself is the second largest and also the most populated. Ap Lei Chau (which is where I used to live) is the most densely populated island in the world. There are currently 51 active caches in Hong Kong.

I am designing a geocoin dedicated to the city I was born and lived in until I was 13, before studying abroad in England and then settling in the United States. My family and friends are still living in Hong Kong and I try to go back and visit every couple of years or so. I have yet to decide on the design on the coin, but it would likely be the skyline of Hong Kong on one side and a junk boat (a signature Hong Kong icon) on the other. I am also playing with the idea of putting the map of Hong Kong on it as well.

I am looking for some feedback regarding the Hong Kong Geocoin idea; please send me an email @ derek@dwprods.com let me know if you would be interested in purchasing the Hong Kong geocoin, and how many, would be great help! This is not a commitment to buy; I am only seeking feedback before I move forward on the coin.

A bunch of these Hong Kong geocoins will be set out in the wild, depending on the number of coins minted. Most likely, 25 will be set free for 500 coins minted, and 50 for 1,000. I also have not decided if I would set them free in Hong Kong (unsure when I will go back either), or in the US and set their missions to travel to the Far East. Or maybe, someone would be interested in bringing them to Hong Kong for me??

Thank you very much again!!!

Just want to give you guys an update on the hong kone geocoin...

I have been extremely busy lately with work and just don't have much time to manage any other projects going on in my life. A couple of reasons: 1) My contact at the coin mint is doing tradeshows and traveling around the world and won't be back till next month; and 2) a possible 3000 miles+ relocation for work. Let me tell ya... they make it really hard to concentrate working on the coin. Still, I am coordinating with my friend on the coin design and we shall have something to show you in the next couple of weeks.

Basic coin design:

Front:

Hong Kong skyline with the junkboat in front of all the buildings at Victoria harbor. At the top, it wouls say "Hong Kong 2007" (I figure, it would be 2007 by the time these go into production, might as well). At the bottom, it would say "Hong Kong" in chinese.

Back:

A geographical map of Hong Kong and the depth of the map would be based on the elevation of the location (ie, it'll be higher if there's a mountain, and lower if it's a low level residential area.". I will also try and list out all the major area in chinese writing as well.

(I really like the concept of the back of the coin, but I'm unsure how difficult it will be to make... I guess I'll find out next month).

Icon:

A Bauhinia blakeana, the floral emblem of Hong Kong.

Will keep you guys updated in the next couple of weeks!

thx

d

OK this is a very preliminary design of the coin...

Front:

230374254_70b440195c_o.jpg

"我愛香港" means "I Love Hong Kong" in chinese. It is a little too cheesy for me... I'm still trying to decide if I should just get rid of "I Love" and just leave it as "Hong Kong".

There will be 3 different layers... the skyand the water would be the lowest level... then the buildings (3D) and then the junkboat (also 3D) would be raised.

Back

230374257_00fa86cabb_o.jpg

"在 於 geocaching.com 追 查".... direct translation would be: "At" geocaching.com "track(investigate)"

Obviously, this is a map of Hong Kong and the little chinese characters represent the name of the area. The slightly larger and bold font types present the name of the county (or island).

Also, the map would be in 3D. I am trying to create the map such that it would represent the topographic landscape of Hong Kong (ie, mountain areas would be riased... urban area would be relatively flat, etc). It sounds pretty complex and I am unsure how realistic it is to create the mold... I will get in touch with the rep at the coin mint next week.

There are still tons of details to fine tune but this is the general idea for the coin. For example... the fonts needs to be bigger at the back.... etc. I will send out anotehr update when I have more info!

Thank you!

d

I really like the 4 characters on the front! I think it gives a nice balance. Not speaking the language I would have no clue what it said if you hadn't told me. "I love Hong Kong" may be cheesy :D , but what else could you put there that would be 4 characters? Really great coin. I'll be in for 2. Thanks.

Actually, funny that you mention.... according to geocaching.com, "地理藏寶" is geocaching in chinese (it's interesting what you can find from the gc website).... well, the direct translation is "geographic treasure". It doesn't really ring geocaching to me in chinese but, when was the last time you say the word to someone for doesn't know the activity and they go... wwhhaaaat?

I will give this idea more thoughts... Problem I foresee is non-chinese spreakers would not understand what it says on the coin, and I might have to have both english and chinese on it... I dont want to crowd a coin that is already busy enough by

Which brings up a point made by Bryan from Groundspeak, that non-chinese speakers might not understand "trackable at geocaching.com" in chinese at the back of the coin, thus would not know it is a trackable coin (or where to track)

What do you guys think?

Which brings up a point made by Bryan from Groundspeak, that non-chinese speakers might not understand "trackable at geocaching.com" in chinese at the back of the coin, thus would not know it is a trackable coin (or where to track)

What do you guys think?

You could put "Trackable at" above the tracking # in english and leave the bottom the same - sort of make it a bilingual geocoin.

What do you guys think?

English edge text.

Edited by Snowwolf75

I love it. Can't wait to see it!

I too would drop the "I Love" part also. As we have talked before, "I Love Hong Kong" is a Hong Kong Tourism motto, are you promoting Hong Kong or Hong Kong Tourism?

I have just had another thought. Have Hong Kong in English and in Chinese and have the Hong Kong Flower (one on each end). Or maybe, Hong Kong in English, the flower, then Hong Kong in Chinese.

For those of you that don't know. The Hong Kong flower is the Bauhinia and it appears on the flag of Hong Kong.

My 2 cents.

I too would drop the "I Love" part also. As we have talked before, "I Love Hong Kong" is a Hong Kong Tourism motto, are you promoting Hong Kong or Hong Kong Tourism?

I have just had another thought. Have Hong Kong in English and in Chinese and have the Hong Kong Flower (one on each end). Or maybe, Hong Kong in English, the flower, then Hong Kong in Chinese.

For those of you that don't know. The Hong Kong flower is the Bauhinia and it appears on the flag of Hong Kong.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, I think I wouold drop the "I Love" part.

I'm actually using the flower as the icon. I'm also trying not to onver crowd the coin. There really isn't a lot of space on a coin with so much details on it already. I like the text on coin edge idea. I would have to investigate that with mint next week.

I also think that I would leave "Hong Kog" in chinese. If I find a coin in a language that I don't understand from a cache , I would try to find ount what it means. That can be part of the fun as well...

I also think that I would leave "Hong Kog" in chinese. If I find a coin in a language that I don't understand from a cache , I would try to find ount what it means. That can be part of the fun as well...

Problem with that is that, people are inherently lazy... Not a lot of people would do that.

Problem with that is that, people are inherently lazy... Not a lot of people would do that.

Then, they don't learn. I would leave it in one language.

不坏币、地图希望所有忙碌的写作充满我回来前,我喜欢. :(

Not the bad coin, the map hoped front all bustles about writing fills me to come back, I like :(

yeah, that is how I would read it as but obviously there is something lost in the original english to chinese translation.

Edited by ozymandiasism

不坏币、地图希望所有忙碌的写作充满我回来前,我喜欢. :(

Not the bad coin, the map hoped front all bustles about writing fills me to come back, I like :(

yeah, that is how I would read it as but obviously there is something lost in the original english to chinese translation.

It's kind of like Shakespeare, you have to interpret what it is meant to say.

不坏币、地图希望所有忙碌的写作充满我回来前,我喜欢. :laughing:

Ok I was trying to be kewl, but I failed I used google translate and it wont even translate it back in to english correctly.

What I was trying to say was; I like the coin the front is great but the back side looks to cluttered with all the writing. IMO.

TJ