What To Use ?

This first cache container I am working on is covered in artificial leaves which attaches them to my container with camo duck tape. This one seems to be working fairly well for durability. The next container is where my problems start.

000_0001.jpg

This container is a metal ammo container. I have tried hot glues, super glues and gorilla glue in an attempt to stick the artificial leaves to the container. All will stick until a tug is given and they simply peel off. Anyone have any thoughts on what kind of adhesive I could use that might work? I really don't want to do the camo duck tape as it is a PITA.

000_0002.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

This first cache container I am working on is covered in artificial leaves which attaches them to my container with camo duck tape. This one seems to be working fairly well for durability. The next container is where my problems start.

000_0001.jpg

This container is a metal ammo container. I have tried hot glues, super glues and gorilla glue in an attempt to stick the artificial leaves to the container. All will stick until a tug is given and they simply peel off. Anyone have any thoughts on what kind of adhesive I could use that might work? I really don't want to do the camo duck tape as it is a PITA.

000_0002.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

Which bond releases? Is the glue left on the box or on the leaves? The box may have a film of oil on it so giving it a good cleaning or scrubbing it with steel wool may help. The leaves may be exuding plasticizers in the heat. Find the problem first then attack them. Maybe real leaves or dry pine needles would work better if you can select a spot with the proper background.

The bond to the container comes off. The foliage comes off with the glues stuck to them and nothing left on the metal container.

You are correct in one respect. I have a test going on with another ammo container right now. I applied super glue to an area and sprinkled dirt and dead foliage over it and it appears to be sticking well. The plastic stuff will just not stick though.

The bond to the container comes off. The foliage comes off with the glues stuck to them and nothing left on the metal container.

You are correct in one respect. I have a test going on with another ammo container right now. I applied super glue to an area and sprinkled dirt and dead foliage over it and it appears to be sticking well. The plastic stuff will just not stick though.

So maybe some component in the plastic.. like a plasticizer, UV stabilizer, mold release, or antioxidant is reacting with the glue. The dead foliage and dirt is probably a better year round camo anyway..

You could try aquarium silicone sealant/adhesive. I've used it on a cache to adhere bark, and have had good results so far. I'm waiting to see how it will fare in the fridgid Maine winter, but I think it should make it.

Just make sure to clean the container of any oils, etc. first. :laughing:

Dang. Where were you two weeks ago? I have aquariums, have used the stuff and it never even occured to me that it would make a good adhesive. Sometimes you need a two by four between the spectacles to see things more clearly. Thanks.

PVC is waxy and there's not many things that'll stick to it long-term. Epoxy eventually fails, silicone sealant peels off sooner or later...

The most secure method is mechanical fastening. Drill a few holes, attach things with cable ties or wire, then seal the holes with silicone and duck tape.

Don't forget that your cache is going to be subjected to some mechanical stresses as well, with people manhandling it in a manner somewhat less reverent than you might hope... Plan your camo cover accordingly.

Mouse, something else you might try is a product called Shoe Goo. You can buy it in the shoe repair section at Wally World. Definetely wipe down the whole can with rubbing alcohol, inside & out prior to applying any adhesive. Roughing the surface with some medium grit sandpaper before you wipe it down also helps. The stuff goes on thick, and takes a while to set, so you'll need to squeeze out a drop, stick your leaf stem in, then hold it for a few seconds. I used it to camo this can:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/13547d...83e4bb8c834.jpg

I may or may not have had pretty good success getting fake leaves to stick to containers using Marine Goop. :anitongue:

If it is designed to be used on boats, it should be pretty good at withstanding the outdoor elements, and its thicker than most epoxies and glues so you can work it wherever needed especially on uneven surfaces.

Use the 2-part epoxy sold in wal-mart and other stores, it is about $2 a tube.

Adequate prep of the ammo box is essential. Rough it up with coarse grit sandpaper and wash all dirt and residue off. Dry completely, and apply the epoxy. Most brands have a 5 minute working time from when you mix to when it begins to set, so work fast and in small sections.

After all your larger camo pieces are in place before the epoxy sets sprinkle birt/dust over the epoxy to give it a more camoed texture.