Bike Mounts?

I have the Garmin bike mount for my 60csx. Works great. Easy to install

on the bike, relatively inexpensive, the GPS snaps in and out easily and

is held firmly in place. I ride mostly on smooth bike trails, but hit occasional

bumps and have not had any problem with it coming loose. I loop the

hand strap around the mount just in case, but I don't think I'll see any

problems.

I haven't used the Garmin 60-series mount, but I've used Garmin's mounts for the Fortrex and 76-series on my mountain bike and was pleased with both. I remember with the Foretrex mount that I ended up grabbing a rubber shim from some other piece of gear to get a good tight fit on my handlebar, but that's obviously something that'll vary from one handlebar to the next. (In my case, the slim shim packaged with the mount was too thin, the fat one was too thick.)

Since I'm not actually a particularly good mountain biker, I provide an excellent test environment for biking accessories. :D I've taken quite a few spills with both these mounts, and they've held onto the GPSrs. Worst I've had happen was a 76 sliding maybe 3/4" upwards after a rather grand tumble, and I doubt a 60-series GPSr would do even that much since it'd be held in place at the top by the belt clip button. During regular (i.e., right-side-up :)) riding, I've yet to see my 76 shift around in the cradle, even over rocky/bumpy ground. Ditto for the mount itself - with the right shim/spacer in place, it's rock-solid on the handlebar and won't rotate/slip.

I have a 60csx and am currently looking to buy the bike mount... I have a gary fisher tarpon '06

Get a RAM mount if it will fit. They are much more solid. Here is a recent post I did on issues with 60 series mounts and 31.8 mm handlebars.

Rich Owings

www.GPStracklog.com

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

I had a friend who bought a GPSMap60CS for his mountain bike. We're both hard core mountain bikers and the handlebar is a dangerous place in our riding. (There's this long post with the various issue on MTBR).

Whereas my old B&W eTrex Vista has survived 3 years of hard biking and crashes (and several bike frame breaks), his 60CS only survived two end-over the bar crashes. The antennae sticks out and is a natural hazard. He nicked it the first crash and then broke off the antennae completely on the second. He returned the unit to REI for a full refund and got the eTrex VistaCx, which seems to be doing much better on the bars.

He was also getting a lot of power-off from battery bounce with the 60CS, and not with the Vista Cx. After a couple years of use, I started to have this problem with my Vista, but it was fixed when I sent it in for a refurbish for a lot of cosmetic issues (scratched screen, rubber torn off, joystick wearing out,...). This refurbished Vista has been good for a year now.

I recently purchased the 60CSx for the improved tracking and reception. Because of my friend's experience, I continue to use the more rugged eTrex Vista on the bars for navigation. I put my second GPS, the 60CSx, in my camelbak with Garmin's padded cover. So happens, on my second ride with the 60CSx without a cover on it, I flew over the bars down a steep hill and broke off two buttons, while it was "safely" in the camelbak. Garmin repaired it under warranty. My bike had $800 of repair on that crash. Oh, and my eTrex Vista on the handlebars came out unscathed. Go figure.

My friend thinks if the 60CSx is mounted ot the stem, say using a tie wrap, it may be more protected against damage. It should also be noted the 60CSx is one of the few outdoor GPSr that Garmin sells that doesn't have the 6g dynamic rating. I asked a Garmin tech about this and he said it must be an oversight or something coming later with certification. Really?......

The bottom line is that if you're doing tough MTB, the rugged VistaCx will probably do much better than the 60CSx on the bars.

(Rich, hope you enjoy your Tahoe trip with your new clip-in pedals.)

;) I am just tickled with my garmin mount for the 60Cx. While I am not a hard core mountain biker, I do ride off road without any issues whatsoever... It took me a couple of rides to get the exact angle for best viewing, but now I am set and enjoy using it every ride out on the trails.

:anitongue: I am just tickled with my garmin mount for the 60Cx. While I am not a hard core mountain biker, I do ride off road without any issues whatsoever... It took me a couple of rides to get the exact angle for best viewing, but now I am set and enjoy using it every ride out on the trails.

I just ordered the garmin 60 csx bike mount from the garmin site ( i couldnt find one on ebay) .. will be here in 6-7 days they say...can't wait..ive been putting my csx in my shorts pocket while out on the trails ...the "tracks" feature comes in so handy out on the trails... i'll let ya know when my mount comes in and give my feedback..