Awol Group Members

i posted a mark in that category OVER 2 MONTHS AGO.....i have sent all (there are only 3) the group members mail asking that they attend to their category, but none have....and according to theor profiles they have logged in since that time.....

what is TPTB stance on this? groups were supposed to rectify this type of situation, were they not? it seems that this is an exclusive group.....

just wondering what the next step i should take is.....

Devils' Elbow

Devilish Locations

am i the only one who has posted a mark in this category since 4/6/2006?

I voiced a similar complaint on 4/5/2006. OpinionNate did some magic the next day and approved all the waymarks that were wallowing in the catagory. I think it was abondoned way back in 2005 sometime but because it has three members listed it wasn't given to Adopt Me during that transition time. This is certainly something that needs to be addressed with an official way to report abandoned catagories. I wonder if this "leader" has other catagories that are also abandoned.

Edited to add quotes.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Sure does look like the Category was abandoned by all three officers, two have not even logged on for quite sometime. We do certainly need a way to fix this. I have a waymark to submit to this Category, but I will wait awhile before submitting as I do not wish for it to sit indefinaetly. I then voice a question to TPTB what can be done to remedy this situation?

The Group leader for that category has been on an extended vacation for quite some time (I mean that quite literally). Perhaps one of you could send an email offering to join as an officer? Then you could handle the reviews in the interim.

I sent emails to him prior to April 2006 over a four month period in regards to my original submission and got no response. :D After that I just decided to avoid the category even though I like the idea. I checked at the time and he had logged in every day that I tried to contact him. He hasn't logged into the Waymarking site since July 11th but he was able to log his geocache finds in Oregon and California for last month and was able to visit geocaching.com today according to the GC Profile page. Seems more like abandoment to me than vacation. ;)

My 2Cents for what its worth.

Maybe we need an ignore button for Waymarking categories too. :D

edited to remove word for clarity

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Respect your perspective Nate , but that is the problem, our emails have gone unanswered, Quite some time ago I even offered to become an officer to assist, but that too went unanswered. The Category has had the join group button turned off since the begining of this problem.( It could be that emails were not received, but something needs to be done in my humble opinion. I agree with "Seems more like abandoment to me than vacation." To me a good leader would designate his officers to take this over during a vacation which was not done, if it is a vacation then the leader has not been a good leader; He should have made sure his officers were taking care of the Category. This was not done as in fact the two officers have not logged on either. And while on vacation if they can log their finds on gc.com it certainly takes less time to approve a waymark and less time if they allow others to become officers, if the button to join were turned on and then the leader could promote, which only takes seconds. And considering all these facts; to me and others this appears to us to be an abandoned category not a vacation. The least that should have been done is auto approve should have been set if the vacation was extended; which also takes only a moment. But no this was not done either. So I ask again what do we do to remedy this, All three officers have NEVER answered our emails. So emailing him again and asking again to become an officer is pointless. What if his extended vacation goes on for a year, then do you consider it abandoned?

Edited by chstress53

I, too, have a problem with one of the Categories. 2 waymark submissions have been made, one in June, and one in early July. I've e-mailed all officers and have had no response. Yet, all three of the officers log into Waymark almost daily. At least one has posted at least one comment on the waymark forum, and some have had time to log cache finds.

It hasn't been 2 months yet, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother taking the time to log another waymark, that I found today, for Landlocked Lighthouses. The last Landlocked Lighthouse was approved in early June.

hooray (sort of), i am not alone.

so then, groups are not the answer, are they?

and i thought the auto approve function was 'deleted'--though my campgrounds i just posted were 'autoapproved' [it even puts the leaders name as the 'okay' person].

and due to the email irregularities i am destined to look at my 'owned marks' tab, awaiting the icon apperance........

and what about duplicate marks in that/those categories in the que.....to think, markers might be investing time to create the mark instead of just visiting it....and 'us' owners not getting the visit logs since 'noone knows it is there'.......

if they can take the time to locate/log caches, can they not take the time to review and approve marks? this takes less time than 'caching'.......

edited to note: i attempted leaving the details (category) anonomous, but enough time passed that i felt the need to call them out......

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

so then, groups are not the answer, are they?

In general, the group feature seems to be working pretty well.

What this discussion has highlighted is the need for some kind of mechanism for fixing groups that for whatever reason aren't able to, or willing to, fulfill the obligation of managing a category.

Perhaps a system could be put in place that would allow a category managed by an unresponsive group to be taken over by others. Kind of like how the single-owner categories that were not moved to group management were picked up.

Maybe it's time to bring back Adopt Me.

:anitongue:

We've brainstormed ways of staging a coup on delinquent groups before. The best we've come up with so far is that after waymarks have languished in the queue for a period of time the category goes up for adoption.

Another idea I had was to create a feedback system for groups (like ebay sellers) and an "average approval time" notice on the category page.

Maybe it's time to bring back Adopt Me.

:huh:

Oh noes!!1

Do you mean like "Rate the Management Group" ?

Gee, I hope that works better than the "Upgrade/Downgrade Category" feature.

The other issue I would have with regard to this is.... What happens to the existing Waymarks in the category if the Group gets put on probation or is frozen...?

It would be unfair to all those that are owners of viable Waymarks to lose their work, if the category gets frozen.

I would favour that the category is disabled... then all Officers get booted out... then "Open Enrollment" is turned on.... and a minimum of 5 Officers elect a new Leader.

This way, even if the category is frozen, the existing Waymarks can still be active. Why punish those that were participating?

:huh: The Blue Quasar

Do you mean like "Rate the Management Group" ?

Gee, I hope that works better than the "Upgrade/Downgrade Category" feature.

The other issue I would have with regard to this is.... What happens to the existing Waymarks in the category if the Group gets put on probation or is frozen...?

It would be unfair to all those that are owners of viable Waymarks to lose their work, if the category gets frozen.

I would favour that the category is disabled... then all Officers get booted out... then "Open Enrollment" is turned on.... and a minimum of 5 Officers elect a new Leader.

This way, even if the category is frozen, the existing Waymarks can still be active. Why punish those that were participating?

:huh: The Blue Quasar

what about approving all marks in que, and changing 'waymarks CAN be added to category' to CANNOT, until it is sorted out? this would maintain mark already in the 'tree'....

and then the new officers (5 does sound like a better # than 3) can elect a new leader.....

but then this would bring us back to the leadership limits....it has been said that it is ok for those at 'max' to adopt more to save floundering cats....but then how are you to 'give them away' so that you might create your own? if you are adopting it, would it not be because others do not want ownership?

it seems that the # of users has been steadily increasing recently......this could possibly correct some of these issues or even compound them more.....

we all just have to wait on this 2.0 to see for ourselves.......

Waymarking: it comes in any flavour you like......

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

I, too, have a problem with one of the Categories. 2 waymark submissions have been made, one in June, and one in early July. I've e-mailed all officers and have had no response. Yet, all three of the officers log into Waymark almost daily. At least one has posted at least one comment on the waymark forum, and some have had time to log cache finds.

It hasn't been 2 months yet, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother taking the time to log another waymark, that I found today, for Landlocked Lighthouses. The last Landlocked Lighthouse was approved in early June.

I received approval yesterday. (err, 1 approval, and 1 denial)

i got denied, but have not recieved the reason yet--see the email issue thread. but i edited, and has now been approved. guess i did something right in the edit.

this is still an issue that TPTB need to include in their plans.....

closing this thread since the OP issue has been resolved.

if you have an issue, create your own posting.