Look At My Geocacheing Website

Wasco,

Why are you being so harsh? The kid is going to talk, type, and communicate like a kid. If it pisses you off that much don't read the post, don't go to the website.

The kids I know, all know that in a public forum (and I mean any forum, not just online ones -- talking to any person older than them in any situation, for example), they should try to present themselves well. Do I have a problem with kids talking like kids to other kids? Not at all.

So suggesting that someone speak in more-or-less complete sentences, have reasonably good spelling (at least make it look like you tried), use some semblance of punctuation, and take a shot at capitalization in order to be taken seriously is being harsh.

Fine. I'm harsh.

And a gurk.

Ok.

Wasco,

Why are you being so harsh? The kid is going to talk, type, and communicate like a kid. If it pisses you off that much don't read the post, don't go to the website.

The kids I know, all know that in a public forum (and I mean any forum, not just online ones -- talking to any person older than them in any situation, for example), they should try to present themselves well. Do I have a problem with kids talking like kids to other kids? Not at all.

So suggesting that someone speak in more-or-less complete sentences, have reasonably good spelling (at least make it look like you tried), use some semblance of punctuation, and take a shot at capitalization in order to be taken seriously is being harsh.

Fine. I'm harsh.

And a gurk.

How can you expect a kid to be able to talk like an adult. It builds up over time, like when you get a job. I admit, if you try hard you can accomplish a simple, well construced post. That is 'adult friendly'.

You know, it's too bad this thread has gotten way off topic and is spiraling out of control, because now, rather than giving the OP some encouragement, this is going to get locked down and he's going to have negative feelings about the game.

Way to go.

But then again, you can come to expect that in here, and it's too bad it's gotten that way. :laughing:

Okay, okay.... I was going to stay out of this....

I emaild King Riched with some constructive criticism and some supportive comments. Yes, his writing skills are weak. That doesn't mean he's totally hopeless!

And yet, I have heard no response from him on my offer of help. He may be enjoying this attention or has not checked his email.

Riched, if you don't like the way people are reacting to you, then get some help with your posts and cache pages. I'd be glad to help.

If you don't care what others are saying, then have at it.

Last comment on the subject from the Marauding Morgan! We now take you back to your regularly scheduled topic already in progress. Thank you...

How can you expect a kid to be able to talk like an adult. It builds up over time, like when you get a job. I admit, if you try hard you can accomplish a simple, well construced post. That is 'adult friendly'.

Please read the example here. What part of that is beyond the language skills of a 10-year-old or older? :laughing:

I'm going to get a little personal here, and if a moderator feels free to step in that is cool. At first I thought no way does this person (you) have kids, or is around kids. Then I look at your profile, public info, and see that you are an Assistant Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America. How can you talk down to a kid like that, when you are associated with such a great program for kids? Did they teach you that at Wood Badge? I have been involved in Scouting nearly all my life. I have been our town's Scoutmaster for years. I know what I am talking about, and what scouting is. 99% of scouting is leading by example and teaching kids to be leaders. You are not just a scout leader when you put on the uniform. You are a scout leader all the time. Day and night. If you disagree, read your leader's handbook.

Please read the example here. What part of that is beyond the language skills of a 10-year-old or older? :laughing:

I'm going to get a little personal here, and if a moderator feels free to step in that is cool. At first I thought no way does this person (you) have kids, or is around kids. Then I look at your profile, public info, and see that you are an Assistant Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America. How can you talk down to a kid like that, when you are associated with such a great program for kids? Did they teach you that at Wood Badge? I have been involved in Scouting nearly all my life. I have been our town's Scoutmaster for years. I know what I am talking about, and what scouting is. 99% of scouting is leading by example and teaching kids to be leaders. You are not just a scout leader when you put on the uniform. You are a scout leader all the time. Day and night. If you disagree, read your leader's handbook.

Perhaps you should not draw conclusions from a single thread. King Riched has received help, and gentle suggestions on improving his communications, from me and many others on numerous other occasions. Yes, I've been around lots of kids. And when an adult gently guides them toward improving their communication skills, they respond. Except for King Riched. Refusing to remind him of the importance of good communication basically gives him the message that it's OK to sound illiterate.

I do teach by example. Most of the kids who see and hear my example get the message. The ones who aren't interested in the message generally go away to hang out with a crowd that accepts illiteracy.

And on topic:

King Riched, take a look at a lot of different web pages. Make notes on the things you like, and the things you don't like about them. Keep your initial efforts simple. Don't try to use frames and animated graphics and 127 different fonts and sixteen different colors just because you can. The biggest mistake beginners make is to try to use as many different "cool" things as they can all at once.

If you start building something that has multiple pages, be sure to keep a consistent look and feel across the pages. They should have identical (or very similar) headers and footers. Keep your menus, buttons, and so on in the same relative places -- i.e., don't use "OK" and "Cancel" in one place, and then "No" and "Yes" in another -- notice not just the change in words, but how the positive/negative choices have switched?

Even if you're just testing something out, as someone else has noted, it's very important to give credit to words you copy directly from somewhere else. First, it shows you're honest. Second, it gives that other source credit for the work they've done. Third, it helps your web page user know where they might look for more information.

And seriously, if you want anyone to really take an interest in your web pages, you have to be attentive to spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. If this is hard for you, ask someone to help you out. Check your work once, twice, three times, and then check it again. Nothing destroys the credibility and interest in a web site more than sloppiness.

Sorry if any earlier words seemed harsh. All we want is for you to make a little effort at communicating like an adult when you're among adults. It's never too early to learn that skill, and it will carry you far.

Well said, Wasco.

And my apologies for poking fun at you too, king riched. I'm a writer of sorts, and it always bothers me when people fail to use correct spelling and grammar, since that's the way human beings get ideas across to one another. Proper use of words can make a great deal of difference when you're trying to make a specific point.

Well you do have to give him credit for enjoying it so much that he builds a "website" on the subject. I know a few years ago I would build these free little websites on every topic. It was fun, but at least I tried to make it slighly proffesional in my presentation.

And King... um, Richard (I think),

How old are you?

His cache pages do not have the really bad grammer and spelling. So maybe he puts a little more time into them or he gets help.

(One funny thing is on one of his cache pages there is a Needs Maintaince log from a reviewer and it has a typo. That cache description does not contain any misspelled words.)

I do have children and one of them has made a webpage. I think is important for them to use spelling and grammer to the best of the ability for their age.

My daughter is 9 so she has a few spelling mistakes on some words. But her sentence structure and grammer is correct for the most part. So if this boy is older than 4th grade or so I would expect more from him.

I am sure he could do better if he tried. His parents should want for him to do better.

This topic has nothing to do with geocaching except for the promotion of king riched's website, which is done. If you guys want to give him advice on his site, that's fine, but be at least somewhat civil about it. If you'd like to discuss with each other how you feel the other person was wrong in how they approached it, feel free to do so via PM.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

Thanks.

Edited by Quiggle

His cache pages do not have the really bad grammer and spelling. So maybe he puts a little more time into them or he gets help.

(One funny thing is on one of his cache pages there is a Needs Maintaince log from a reviewer and it has a typo. That cache description does not contain any misspelled words.)

I do have children and one of them has made a webpage. I think is important for them to use spelling and grammer to the best of the ability for their age.

My daughter is 9 so she has a few spelling mistakes on some words. But her sentence structure and grammer is correct for the most part. So if this boy is older than 4th grade or so I would expect more from him.

I am sure he could do better if he tried. His parents should want for him to do better.

The typos in this "Needs Maintenance" log are intentional; they are parody. I am either quoting the text of the cache description ("pencile box") or the owner's forum thread that asked why "reverowers" have such "weard names." I felt that was a lighthearted response, given the nature of the forum thread.

By the way, it's "Maintenance," not "Maintaince." :)

The typos in this "Needs Maintenance" log are intentional; they are parody. I am either quoting the text of the cache description ("pencile box") or the owner's forum thread that asked why "reverowers" have such "weard names." I felt that was a lighthearted response, given the nature of the forum thread.

By the way, it's "Maintenance," not "Maintaince." :)

Well mocking someone on purpose such as you did is rude and disrespectful behavior. It is not lighthearted nor is it parody. Do you know this child/person well? If not then you do not have the right to play around in such ways.

Your mother should have taught you better, I hope you do not teach your children that making fun of others mistakes/shortcomings is acceptable.

I never said I was above misspelling or typos, I guess we can not all live up to your or Team Teutons high standards.