Las Vegas Strip Benchmarks

Johnny_Quest

They say that they are "Right-of-Way" markers, so that means that they are survey boundary markers delineating the public right of way for the 'strip'. The Land Surveyor's number is on the bottom, if you want to contact someone and find out more.

- jlw

Those disks can be logged in the Recovered US Benchmarks Waymarking site.

I was thinking more along the lines of a catagory for just those 'fancy' marks along the "Strip".

John

Benchmarks in Vegas? That town has grown so quickly that there is hardly anything left. Besides, theres nothing to do on the Strip anyway! :anitongue:

So if you're a benchmark hunter and find yourself with a spare afternoon, what do you do? Here are my suggestions:

1) Road Trip to Hoover Dam. You will pick up 20 marks on top of the dam in two hours (on the trip from Vegas to the dam you can pick up 10-12 more in another hour or two) and have a nice day in the canyon (unless its 120 degrees). Watch out for Bighorn Sheep on the way down, and check out the new bridge that is being built.

2) Take Las Vegas Blvd. (The Strip) south to Jean, searching for the occasional mark here and there. The real fun begins when you take the dirt road next to the railroad from Jean to Nipton. Lots of cool bench marks, and a couple chiseled crosses and a drill hole.

3) Head to the Nevada/California border south of Laughlin (2 hours south of Vegas) and after finding the Von Schmidt Iron Post, work your way northwest along the boundary, finding drill holes and boundary marks.

4) For the real thrill seekers, head northwest out of town and find the marks along the old Tonapah & Tidewater Railroad.

Pack extra water and food for all these trips. And make sure that you let the non-benchmarking member of your team (the one that will be staying back at the hotel playing quarter slots, and who you will be taking to see Cirque du Soleil tonight for $150 per ticket!) know where you will be going. Your rental car can make trip number 1, but you will want a 4-wheel drive vehicle for trips 2, 3, and 4.

3) Head to the Nevada/California border south of Laughlin (2 hours south of Vegas) and after finding the Von Schmidt Iron Post, work your way northwest along the boundary, finding drill holes and boundary marks.

Dowh ! ..ANOTHER one I drove right past before I joined GC. ! :huh:

I also missed a chance to log GS0206 the last time I was in Death Valley - no gravity stations in my area !

Dowh ! ..ANOTHER one I drove right past before I joined GC. ! :huh:

I also missed a chance to log GS0206 the last time I was in Death Valley - no gravity stations in my area !

We have not been to the gravity station in Death Valley yet. But, did you notice this????

HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

GS0206 HISTORY - 1950 MONUMENTED CGS

GS0206 HISTORY - 1943 GOOD NGS

GS0206 HISTORY - 1967 GOOD LOCENG

GS0206 HISTORY - 1969 GOOD CGS

Monumented date - 1950 by CGS and then recovered in 1943 by the NGS - ?

The other interesting thing for me, when I clicked nearest benchmark...PID=GS0908 and came up with this really interesting monument.

Ernmark, it looks like you will just have to come back on a vacation to get all of these. :P

Shirley~

HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

GS0206 HISTORY - 1950 MONUMENTED CGS

GS0206 HISTORY - 1943 GOOD NGS

GS0206 HISTORY - 1967 GOOD LOCENG

GS0206 HISTORY - 1969 GOOD CGS

Monumented date - 1950 by CGS and then recovered in 1943 by the NGS - ?

Shirley~

...would've been a great submission for the contest !

Yep - GS0908 would give y' the shivers - even at 112° ! :huh:

I was in Las Vegas in March for the NASCAR race and found a benchmark on the strip just down from the MGM Grand. It was a State of Nevada/Department of Transportation, dated 1998. I don't have the picture on a URL address and can't figure out how to upload the picture. Email me if you want a photo of the disk. TexasGreg