Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
The Lost Geeks

Just Got My License!

I wrote the Basic test and got a high enough mark to get access to the HF freq as well!

Once my radio comes in I will be listening for other Ham/cachers out there!

The Lost Geeks

VA1BMS

I wrote the Basic test and got a high enough mark to get access to the HF freq as well!

The Lost Geeks

VA1BMS

Congratulations! You will have a lot of fun with the hobby, as have many of us over the years. Ihave been active on the HF/VHF/UHF bands for many years, but not as much lately... I moved and have not yet put up any antennas at the new place. Went to a hamfest today and bought a bunch of wire and other stuff to make a new HF dipole to use with the Yaseu FT-817ND, as well as some new coax for the tri-band vertical which will be used with my Yaesu FT-8900R.

Jerry

W2TXB

Congratulations, you'll enjoy both hobbies. It would be great to combine both if possible. I've never had more than a simple ICOM hand held 2meter radio which is really all I need for my level of involvement in local weather nets and general range rag-chew sessions.

73s

de KB9UPR

If the US FCC didn't require code, I'd have access to HF as well. I passed the written, but haven't spent enough time studying code to go try and pass the test. I need to get my butt in gear, because if I don't pass by Oct 1st, I will need to retake the written test for General.

--Marky

The Lost Geeks

VA1BMS

Congrats on getting your license. Amateur radio has opened a lot of doors for me, helps me meet new people and allows me to always explore new things. Hope to meet you on the airwaves.

Bob WA9JDR

The Lost Geeks

VA1BMS

Congratulations!

One thing to remember though, if you travel. Your Canadian licence privileges do not translate equally in other places, even those with "reciprocal" agreements. To operate HF in the USA you require the morse code qualification on your Canadian licence. I believe this may be similar in other countriesm but I know for sure it applies to the USA.

But, if you're always going to operate out of Canada, it's not an issue.

--... ...-- -.. . ...- . ...-- --- .. .---

If the US FCC didn't require code, I'd have access to HF as well. I passed the written, but haven't spent enough time studying code to go try and pass the test. I need to get my butt in gear, because if I don't pass by Oct 1st, I will need to retake the written test for General.

--Marky

The answer is to keep at it. Work on it every day for about 20 minutes. then do something else. You can do another 15-20 minutes session later in the day. DON"T try to make a marathon session out of it. I, personally don't copy code well. As a matter of fact, it took me 3 tries to pass 5 wpm. I somehow passed 13 wpm on the 364th day! For my extra class I passed the written and on the 364th day I only got 6 right on the multiple choice test. After you pass the code, give the 3905 Century Club a try. It is a great bunch of guys and a few gals. If nothing else it is a great way to get a Worrked All States award....and we have our own bureau...so you save a lot in postage. More info can be gotten at www.3905ccn.com.

73!

Keith, KS9WI

Thanks Everybody!

I now have my radio (Yaesu VX-6R) and have been having fun with it!

I will be looking to check into the Geocaching Nets once I find out how to access them. I have echolink installed but have not really spent any time with it.

VA1BMS

Brian