Delorme Street Atlas 2007

I know there's a few people on here who use Delorme's Street Atlas. I just noticed that the 2007 version is on their website, they're taking pre-orders for a ship date of on or around 16 Aug. It now includes the PDA version, has street level maps for Canada (instead of just major highways) and comes in at a LOWER price than 2006. It also allows you to take static maps with you on photo capable ipods and other digital audio/video players......

Oh yeah, it now has support for GPX files, too.

I know there's a few people on here who use Delorme's Street Atlas. I just noticed that the 2007 version is on their website, they're taking pre-orders for a ship date of on or around 16 Aug. It now includes the PDA version, has street level maps for Canada (instead of just major highways) and comes in at a LOWER price than 2006. It also allows you to take static maps with you on photo capable ipods and other digital audio/video players......

I wonder what has actually improved from the 2006 version. I have the 2005 version on my 'desktop' PC and the handheld 2005 version on my PDA, along with the 2006 version on the laptop. The 2006 seems a bit clunky, although some of that may come from the fact that the Sony VAIO is sort of goofy (I hate the touchpad - even with the new drivers, it 'clicks' on things simply because the cursor happens to be somewhere), maybe when I upgrade to a new ThinkPad, all will be well ;) .

Hi Overland1,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1150 and HATE the mouse pad also. Bought a usb enabled Logitech optical mouse and love it. When SA 06 came out - it had key board short cuts that did eveything. And you could add what you wanted. So the mouse doesn't come out any more. Of Course the talk to it feature also eliminated the mouse, but my wife needs something to do while we travel or she'll sleep.

This is from Dan Lawyer on http://forum.delorme.com/ on new features:

Draw Tab/File../More Button

On the Draw tab, we can now select a draw layer, and see all the objects in it, in a list window below the files. I don't know how many times I've wanted to know what was in a draw file. If you double clicked on a draw file, it would zoom and position the map within the screen, but you didn't have a clue where they were. You could drag a box around them, but that only works when zoomed in pretty close, so if you had some in California and Maine, you were out of luck. We can select an object, goto it, and perform maintenance features right there, including editing the name, deleting the object, moving and/or copying the object to another draw file. Another thing they added is that if you hold your cursor over any draw object that is displayed, it tells you what draw file that object is in. I've been pushing for this feature for years and we finally got it, even better than I had hoped for.

Arrow Right Mouse Click on a Route

We can now create a GPS log out of a route, without even using the GPS. This means we can create a route, turn it into a GPS track and play it back in a preview. This doesn't sound like much, but if you've ever played back a GPS log, you've probably noticed that the program goes into full GPS tracking mode. The voice navigation works, then Zoom to Turn feature works, and the Auto Back on Track feature works. Because of this, you can not only preview a route, you can see how your settings for the different options will react prior to going on the route, and having to deal with it in real time. It's much easier to know how the feature works prior to actually having to use it.

Arrow Toolbar Toggle Imagery Tool

The Show Roads feature, which displays the roads on top of the aerial or satellite ADP data you can buy, is very much like the Google Maps Hybrid feature. DeLorme has had this data for years, but it was only available in Topo USA and their professional programs. They have lowered the price for the data, and they are getting more high res data. Yes, this data is available from websites like Google, and it's free, but you can't take the data with you and track with your GPS using it on a laptop going down the road following a route. It's years down the road, but when the whole US, or at least major cities are high res, I really feel that this will be the future on mapping software. DeLorme gives us a peak at it now, and its the first mapping software company to offer it. Use your free sample along a route you know, to get a feel for it.

Hope this helps.

I wonder what has actually improved from the 2006 version.

A couple more highlights:

Handheld PDA Software Included for No Extra Charge

* » Supports Pocket PC and Palm OS

* » Now supports Windows Mobile 5.0 (including the portrait, landscape, and high-resolution configurations of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition and later)

Intel-Based Mac Support Running Boot Camp for Windows

* » Compatible with Intel-based Macs running Boot Camp for Windows XP (not Parallels at this time)

* » Including for use with the Earthmate GPS LT-20 and Earthmate GPS Blue Logger

Updated Maps

* » 133,000 new U.S. streets and roads, triple-referenced for accuracy by DeLorme mapmakers

* » 3.4 million updated U.S. and Canadian streets and roads

* » Canadian street-level maps

I have SA2006 and find it has trouble locking to roads. In other words, the moving pointer is way off the road. I have tried many different things and none have fixed it, which is really too bad cause its really a great program!

I wonder what has actually improved from the 2006 version.

A couple more highlights:

Handheld PDA Software Included for No Extra Charge

* » Supports Pocket PC and Palm OS

* » Now supports Windows Mobile 5.0 (including the portrait, landscape, and high-resolution configurations of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition and later)

Intel-Based Mac Support Running Boot Camp for Windows

* » Compatible with Intel-based Macs running Boot Camp for Windows XP (not Parallels at this time)

* » Including for use with the Earthmate GPS LT-20 and Earthmate GPS Blue Logger

Updated Maps

* » 133,000 new U.S. streets and roads, triple-referenced for accuracy by DeLorme mapmakers

* » 3.4 million updated U.S. and Canadian streets and roads

* » Canadian street-level maps

thanks for the info!

The last version I purchased was 2005, 2006 had a couple nice features but none worth the extra money. GPX support (finally!!) might pique my interest in the 2007 version.

nice they're throwing the PDA version in too.... Microsoft always did that with Streets & Trips, never could see spending so much extra for the Delorme version. I prefer TomTom in the PDA anyway. Autorouting is soooo much nicer than a couple static maps.

I've upgraded through every version of Street Atlas since v3. I stopped with SA2005. What a piece of junk. Takes forever to boot up, crashes often, or some functions just stop working. It can't remember the GPS settings, even after adding the patch that was supposed to fix it. Route numbering didn't work, which made it impossible to ensure that multiple routes didn't have conflicting waypoint name.

They're going to have to come up with a major upgrade before they get any more of my money.

I've upgraded through every version of Street Atlas since v3. I stopped with SA2005. What a piece of junk. Takes forever to boot up, crashes often, or some functions just stop working. It can't remember the GPS settings, even after adding the patch that was supposed to fix it. Route numbering didn't work, which made it impossible to ensure that multiple routes didn't have conflicting waypoint name.

They're going to have to come up with a major upgrade before they get any more of my money.

Strange, I don't recall ever having those problems, but I can't remember what the first version I had was. It could have been 04. I know I skipped a year, because when I got my Earthmate/SA package as a gift, it included an older than current version, and I knew the current version was well into its lifecycle.

For me, the road data updates alone are worth the small price of the software, but I use the program on a daily basis for finding my customers, so I guess it's more important to me than to those who just use it occasionally for a vacation.

....the Sony VAIO is sort of goofy (I hate the touchpad - even with the new drivers, it 'clicks' on things simply because the cursor happens to be somewhere...

I have a Sony VAIO too.

Try this to turn off that feature:

1. From your START menu, select CONTROL PANEL. The Control Panel appears.

2. Double-click the MOUSE icon. A dialog box appears.

3. Click the POINTER OPTIONS tab.

4. Uncheck the box in the SNAP TO panel.

5. Click the OK button to close the dialog box.

6. Try it now (you may have to reboot).

-Chris

....the Sony VAIO is sort of goofy (I hate the touchpad - even with the new drivers, it 'clicks' on things simply because the cursor happens to be somewhere...

I have a Sony VAIO too.

Try this to turn off that feature:

1. From your START menu, select CONTROL PANEL. The Control Panel appears.

2. Double-click the MOUSE icon. A dialog box appears.

3. Click the POINTER OPTIONS tab.

4. Uncheck the box in the SNAP TO panel.

5. Click the OK button to close the dialog box.

6. Try it now (you may have to reboot).

-Chris

I checked that, and the "Snap To" box is already unchecked....... other than that problem, I kind of like the VAIO.....

As for the SA2007, I probably will order it this week.

Edited by Overland1

Haven't tried the SA based on my experience with DeLorme Topo 5.0 (2004). It is the clunkiest, hardest to use, slow, program I've ever run across. PLUS, I cannot load the map data to my GPS. I don't have a PDA and maybe some of the newer programs that also link to the GPS would help that out. I used to take a laptop in the car when I travelled - cabled to my GPS, but the whole lashup and having to deal with a laptop was just too much.

My current setup uses a GPS that I can load mapdata to and a dashboard bracket that holds my GPS for viewing - even with its little screen, it is better than dealing with a laptop - and less distracting. I still use the DeLorme for vacation trip planning, but don't consider it a real tool to use with a GPS.

nw_slug

Haven't tried the SA based on my experience with DeLorme Topo 5.0 (2004). It is the clunkiest, hardest to use, slow, program I've ever run across. PLUS, I cannot load the map data to my GPS. I don't have a PDA and maybe some of the newer programs that also link to the GPS would help that out. I used to take a laptop in the car when I travelled - cabled to my GPS, but the whole lashup and having to deal with a laptop was just too much.

My current setup uses a GPS that I can load mapdata to and a dashboard bracket that holds my GPS for viewing - even with its little screen, it is better than dealing with a laptop - and less distracting. I still use the DeLorme for vacation trip planning, but don't consider it a real tool to use with a GPS.

nw_slug

Again, maybe it's just me, but I don't find SA at all difficult to use. Of course, I haven't used their Topo, so I don't know how they compare. Using a laptop daily for in vehicle nav, I couldn't stand to think of going back to using the crappy maps and tiny screen on a hand held GPS for the purpose. I've had to do it a time or two when my laptop was in for service, and it was a nightmare by comparison.

Edited by IV_Warrior

I dont find the program difficult to use either. NOW!

You do have to ask a couple of questions though. I was glad I found the forms for the program. The people there set me striaght and its been smooth sailing since.

It is slow to load up, but how many times a day are you going to load it???