Burningman 2006

I just started geocaching and think this would be fun at Burningman.

I am going early this year and can commit to tethering an ammo can on the playa containing a log book. I can post the coordinates of the can at the message board and at each street connecting to the esplanade. most likely a sticker. Anyone wishing to create a cache can log it in the book for others to find.

What do you think?

any players?

OK, I'll take a stab at this.

I'm a sheltered girl from the boonies, but I think Burningman is a festival, or gathering in the Nevada desert. Is that correct?

So, you'd like to put a cache there. If the cache is a temporary cache, it cannot be logged or listed on GC site.

Are you asking for other people who wish to place temporary caches for the festival to list them at your "master temporary cache", so that some caching can be done during this festival? No reason not to, but none of them would (again) be log-able or list-able at GC.com.

If I'm not understanding your post correctly, please elaborate.

Perhaps this tutorial will help explain what is and isn't accepted on this site. You can also always get help in the Getting Started forum.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Your enthusiasm is great. Generally speaking (and of course there are exceptions to every rule) it's a good idea to find a few caches before you start hiding them.

It was ~hot~ where I live yesterday, and I was just too lazy to google Burning Man, but I've done so now and it looks like a wild time. Sort of a Guy Fawkes Night meets the Grateful Dead vibe. Enjoy, and welcome to geocaching!

I'd love to go to Burning Man! Why not just place a permanent cache there? That way it would be legal.

A Geocache would violate the Never Let It Hit the Ground policy that the Burning Man organizers adhere to. They even report their sucesses and failures after each event.

"Never Let It Hit The Ground

There is no garbage collection service at Burning Man. Every camp is responsible for its refuse. We are ALL responsible for trash in Black Rock City. Trash is EVERYTHING you bring here: tent stakes, bottle caps, ashes, orange peels, cigarette butts, pistachio shells, boa fibers, sequins - even abandoned bikes. Do not put trash in the portable toilets. Even small trash will clog the cleaning hose for the potty. The toilet will fill and can't be emptied. When you see trash on the ground in BRC, pick it up and take it with you! Better yet, prevent trash from happening. Observe this simple rule: Don't let it hit the ground."

Nothing like looking for a geocache with your family, and finding a bunch of naked, drug addicts, dancing to strange electronic sounds.

I'll pass for sure.

ROLFLMAO!!! there are at least four people who are not a bunch of naked drug addicts dancing to strange electronic sounds ..ok everyone is dancing ..and most are on drugs ...and yes most are naked at some point in the fest...but hey it is all about the art dontcha know?....LOLOL.....

I'd love to go to Burning Man! Why not just place a permanent cache there? That way it would be legal.

A Geocache would violate the Never Let It Hit the Ground policy that the Burning Man organizers adhere to. They even report their sucesses and failures after each event.

"Never Let It Hit The Ground

There is no garbage collection service at Burning Man. Every camp is responsible for its refuse. We are ALL responsible for trash in Black Rock City. Trash is EVERYTHING you bring here: tent stakes, bottle caps, ashes, orange peels, cigarette butts, pistachio shells, boa fibers, sequins - even abandoned bikes. Do not put trash in the portable toilets. Even small trash will clog the cleaning hose for the potty. The toilet will fill and can't be emptied. When you see trash on the ground in BRC, pick it up and take it with you! Better yet, prevent trash from happening. Observe this simple rule: Don't let it hit the ground."

You can tell this is going to be a fun place when the trash items they are concerned about include pistachio shells, boa fibers and sequins.

Thanks to all that have replied.

It sounds like a permenant cache in the black rock desert is the thing to do to post gc.com. Unfortunatly I live too far away to maintain it.

I was actually trying to connect with other burners interested in geocaching to see if the original idea was feaseable. granted it would be a spin off of the usual cache. a temporary, non electronic cache.

I would like to keep this open until September as a communicaiton point.

As for the event. It's unusual, unconventional, and contraversial. Just like anywhere else; you will find all kinds of people.

Thanks to all that have replied.

It sounds like a permenant cache in the black rock desert is the thing to do to post gc.com. Unfortunatly I live too far away to maintain it.

I was actually trying to connect with other burners interested in geocaching to see if the original idea was feaseable. granted it would be a spin off of the usual cache. a temporary, non electronic cache.

I would like to keep this open until September as a communicaiton point.

As for the event. It's unusual, unconventional, and contraversial. Just like anywhere else; you will find all kinds of people.

Well, again, good luck, but I think you'll find that geocachers are not so interested in finding caches that they can't log. I guess it is all for the smiley. Sounds like there's plenty to do there, anyway.

:laughing::laughing::anicute::anibad::blink::ph34r:;):P:ph34r:;):P:blink:

You have been listed as a geocacher for 2 months, with no finds at all....why start with this and not actually go find some caches first?

am I breakeing the rules by not logging my finds? oops! sorry; social blunder from the newbee.

The intent was to provide a central non electronic logging point for an unusual situation. kinda hoping to find other cachers willing to set up caches so I can practice on vacation. (cuz really, its mostly about me)

To finish up a thought-

If I were going to Burning Man, would I want to hunt run-of-the-mill caches that were not log-able, maybe trade dollar store items? No.

If I were going to Burning Man, and there was a series of caches that was extremely creative, relevant to Burning Man, likely to enhance my whole Burning Man experience, would I hunt them? Even though they'd be un log-able? Um, yes.

As far as not logging your caches. That is of course, your option. But I am a cache hider, and my joy in hiding caches is twofold. I enjoy the research, the setting up the puzzle or picking the right spot. When that part over, my joy is in reading the on-line logs that come in. If you find one of my caches, I wish you'd tell me. Did you like the story? Was it a cool spot? Did you see an eagle?

While a cashe at the even would have to be temparary one and could not be offically listed here, why not place one and post the coords in a post here and on a burning man forum.

I would steer away from ammo caches and mark it well, lots of pople at the event are going to be using some heavy drugs, so don't freak them out, ok.

:D:D:D:P:P:P:):):D:D:D:D

You have been listed as a geocacher for 2 months, with no finds at all....why start with this and not actually go find some caches first?

am I breakeing the rules by not logging my finds? oops! sorry; social blunder from the newbee.

The intent was to provide a central non electronic logging point for an unusual situation. kinda hoping to find other cachers willing to set up caches so I can practice on vacation. (cuz really, its mostly about me)

Not breaking any rules by not logging you finds.....Not at all.

BUT, Burningman is supposed to be the personification of the internet. At least it was when it began, so your proposal runs counter to that of the original Burningman concept..... Irony.... :D

BUT, Burningman is supposed to be the personification of the internet. At least it was when it began, so your proposal runs counter to that of the original Burningman concept..... Irony.... :)

Hmmm. Don't think that was the purpose of the Festival, really.

I've been to the playa three times, and think it would be a great idea--independently of the geocaching.com site, of course, for reasons described above.

Placing an announcement at the bulletin board at Center Camp including coords would be one possible starting point. You can get in contact with various camps or art installation folks through the Burningman forum, or all those silly places like MySpace, Tribes, etc.

I'm taking this year off, but plan to return in 2007. That year, I hope to make a Waymarking route for good spots to visit on the way south from the PNW (including Summer Lake Hot Springs, a good swimming hole near Crater Lake, a great spot to rockhound for opals, another to rockhound for obsidian, etc.)

Your first year is always the best. Have fun, and take care of yourself. (And to the others, it's only a drug fest if you want it to be.)

I just started geocaching and think this would be fun at Burningman.

I am going early this year and can commit to tethering an ammo can on the playa containing a log book. I can post the coordinates of the can at the message board and at each street connecting to the esplanade. most likely a sticker. Anyone wishing to create a cache can log it in the book for others to find.

What do you think?

any players?

I am a veteran of several Rainbow Festivals, and a good friend of mine runs one of the large cities/tents at Burning Man each year, and so I can tell you this:

You can place any "private" geocaches you wish at or near the site for Burning Man festival, but... one big problem with placing any cache there (or nearby) which you intend to list at geocaching.com (or on any other cache listing sevice) is that Burning Man Festival is NOT really open to the public, and, in fact, its exact location is -- at least to some extent -- kept from the public; it is somewhat secret and shared only with invitees and community members. Thus, the organizers of Burning Man would probably not like it if you were to broadcast the location of the festival on a cache listing website. And, even if you were to get away with listing it on a cache listing site such as geocaching.com, geocachers who had not been specifically invited to Burning Man festival or who had not made prior arrangements would not be allowed on the premises.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Your first year is always the best. Have fun, and take care of yourself. (And to the others, it's only a drug fest if you want it to be.)

I agree wholeheartedly. I have been to several Rainbow Festivals, and I even spent a week in New Orleans during Mardi Gras in the mid-1990s. Each time, when I announced my intention to attend these events, all my friends and acquaintances (as well as co-workers) were perplexed, and they said to me: "But what would you do there? You do not drink alcohol and you do not smoke tobacco and you do not take drugs! How boring you would be!" I replied simply that I did not need those things to have fun, and indeed, I went to each of those events and I had a lot of fun, although I may well have been the only person present who was not stoned on drugs or alcohol. And, I repeat, I had a lot of fun at each of the events, with zero intake of any foreign substances weirder than creole shrimp. I found that I was particularly popular at the Rainbow Festivals, as the park rangers quickly realized that I was about the only person present who was "clear", who was not high on drugs or alcohol, and so they learned to find me and use me as their communications liasion when they needed to ask a group to move their tent or to stop pooping in the artesian well, or to get help in putting out a brush fire.

[i am a veteran of several Rainbow Festivals, and a good friend of mine runs one of the large cities/tents at Burning Man each year, and so I can tell you this:

You can place any "private" geocaches you wish at or near the site for Burning Man festival, but... one big problem with placing any cache there (or nearby) which you intend to list at geocaching.com (or on any other cache listing sevice) is that Burning Man Festival is NOT really open to the public, and, in fact, its exact location is -- at least to some extent -- kept from the public; it is somewhat secret and shared only with invitees and community members. Thus, the organizers of Burning Man would probably not like it if you were to broadcast the location of the festival on a cache listing website. And, even if you were to get away with listing it on a cache listing site such as geocaching.com, geocachers who had not been specifically invited to Burning Man festival or who had not made prior arrangements would not be allowed on the premises.

This isn't accurate. Burning Man and Rainbow Festivals are very different things.

Burning Man is open to the public but it's essentially a private party held on public land with government (BLM, I think) sanction. Access to the festival is restricted to paying customers and it costs plenty. The location is not secret, and I'm pretty sure that it's held in pretty much the same spot every year, but I don't think that you could hide a cache there because there's nowhere for a cache to hide. Even if you could hide a cache there, it probably wouldn't survive the festival.

On The other hand, there's probably nothing stopping anyone from hiding a cache at a Rainbow gathering. These events are likewise held on public land but they're not sanctioned by the government because the Rainbows don't want to be regulated by them. It is for this reason that they are constantly at odds with the authorities. The location changes, and isn't exactly public knowledge, but this information is not difficult to find if you go looking for it. I'd be surprised if it didn't already happen that a Rainbow gathering was held where there was an existing cache. There would be nothing to stop you from hiding or hunting a cache in the middle of a Rainbow gathering except that it would almost certainly get muggled with so many people swarming all over the place.

BUT, Burningman is supposed to be the personification of the internet. At least it was when it began, so your proposal runs counter to that of the original Burningman concept..... Irony.... :huh:

Hmmm. Don't think that was the purpose of the Festival, really.

I've been to the playa three times, and think it would be a great idea--independently of the geocaching.com site, of course, for reasons described above.

Placing an announcement at the bulletin board at Center Camp including coords would be one possible starting point. You can get in contact with various camps or art installation folks through the Burningman forum, or all those silly places like MySpace, Tribes, etc.

I'm taking this year off, but plan to return in 2007. That year, I hope to make a Waymarking route for good spots to visit on the way south from the PNW (including Summer Lake Hot Springs, a good swimming hole near Crater Lake, a great spot to rockhound for opals, another to rockhound for obsidian, etc.)

I've never been. I've wanted to go since I first started following the website in the mid 90s. Those that know me would agree that it's MY kinda happening.

I didn't find the exact quote I needed, but this article is close.

I actually saw an interview (20/20, 60 Minutes?) where Larry Harvey called burning man "the personification of the internet."

That article is kinda close.

Yet clearly, it is equally possible to use these new means of communication to precipitate individuals into worlds where such experience becomes feasible. Both Burning Man and the Internet make it possible to regather the tribe of mankind, to talk to millions of dispersed individuals n the great diaspora of our mass society. Living as we do, without sustaining traditions in time and ungrounded in a shared experience of place, it is yet possible to transcend these deficiencies. We must use technology to create space stations here on planet Earth, islands of intense and living contact. It is time to come home.
Edited by Snoogans
Access to the festival is restricted to paying customers and it costs plenty. The location is not secret, and I'm pretty sure that it's held in pretty much the same spot every year, but I don't think that you could hide a cache there because there's nowhere for a cache to hide.

Exactly.

40°45'16.09"N

119°14'11.43"W

These are the coords for the festival. (Or, just go to Google Earth, look up Gerlach, NV, and scroll northeast a bit until you see the geometric shapes on the dry lakebed). Though it moved farther down the playa last year, it's pretty much been the same place for years--Black Rock Desert.

As you can see, there's nothing there but flat lakebed, or "playa". Even the road tracks are swept clean at the end of each festival. People fan out to pick up all trash, right down to specks of glitter, so nothing is left behind.

If you wanted to make sure geocachers had a loggable spot, you could set a cache in Gerlach. I'd suggest the famous water tower, which the Burning Man organization (BORG) has raised funds to preserve. Otherwise, simply post to the forum a clue (the name of your camp, a hint where to find coords for your cache, etc) and members who are going to the playa can play along. By the way, "Black Rock City" is now wireless, so you can post from there!

Access to the festival is restricted to paying customers and it costs plenty. The location is not secret, and I'm pretty sure that it's held in pretty much the same spot every year, but I don't think that you could hide a cache there because there's nowhere for a cache to hide.

Exactly.

40°45'16.09"N

119°14'11.43"W

These are the coords for the festival. (Or, just go to Google Earth, look up Gerlach, NV, and scroll northeast a bit until you see the geometric shapes on the dry lakebed). Though it moved farther down the playa last year, it's pretty much been the same place for years--Black Rock Desert.

As you can see, there's nothing there but flat lakebed, or "playa". Even the road tracks are swept clean at the end of each festival. People fan out to pick up all trash, right down to specks of glitter, so nothing is left behind.

If you wanted to make sure geocachers had a loggable spot, you could set a cache in Gerlach. I'd suggest the famous water tower, which the Burning Man organization (BORG) has raised funds to preserve. Otherwise, simply post to the forum a clue (the name of your camp, a hint where to find coords for your cache, etc) and members who are going to the playa can play along. By the way, "Black Rock City" is now wireless, so you can post from there!

It's on!

For players going to burningman 2006 look for coords on the street sign posts along the esplanade.

I will hide a cache containing a log book for others to log coordinates more caches to find at the event.

We will see how it goes.

its the journey, not the destination

I'm bettin' on less than three actual geocachers sign the log, but I wish one of the names would be MINE! ;)

I'd even do it naked and dressed ONLY in camo paint...... So I'd fit in with the rest of the crowd... :ph34r:

(I'm sorry SaxMan, Mtn-Man, Keystone, & Carleen, for that mental image (mind fork) since you guys have met me, but you guys also know I'm not joking.) :ph34r:

Yawwwn. :ph34r:

Another year, another burning man topic.

It's on!

For players going to burningman 2006 look for coords on the street sign posts along the esplanade.

I will hide a cache containing a log book for others to log coordinates more caches to find at the event.

We will see how it goes.

:ph34r:

Nothing like violating the guidelines with your first attempt at a hide.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

- Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

I agree with the suggestions in this topic. Please take time to review the guidelines linked above and to also go find some actual caches.

It's on!

We will see how it goes.

I'm bettin' on less than three actual geocachers sign the log, but I wish one of the names would be MINE! :P

I'd even do it naked and dressed ONLY in camo paint...... So I'd fit in with the rest of the crowd... :ph34r:

(I'm sorry SaxMan, Mtn-Man, Keystone, & Carleen, for that mental image (mind fork) since you guys have met me, but you guys also know I'm not joking.) :ph34r:

Actually, Snoogans, I'd go dressed the same way ;)

Black Rock Desert is listed by the US Department of the Interior as a National Conservation Area. Federally owned land held in trust for the public and administered by the Bureau of Land Management. Despite the fact that they issue a permit to the organizers of the Burning Man Festival each year, the rules covering land use and activities permitted by the BLM are fairly strict. They see this as very sensitive land from both an archeological perspective and a geologic perspective.

Despite the hedonistic lunacy that will be going on there, this doesn't seem like a place that a cache would be allowed.

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Exactly.

40°45'16.09"N

119°14'11.43"W

thanks for the coords - Gerlach is an excellent idea. you're a gem!

It's on!

We will see how it goes.

I'm bettin' on less than three actual geocachers sign the log, but I wish one of the names would be MINE! :P

I'd even do it naked and dressed ONLY in camo paint...... So I'd fit in with the rest of the crowd... :anibad:

(I'm sorry SaxMan, Mtn-Man, Keystone, & Carleen, for that mental image (mind fork) since you guys have met me, but you guys also know I'm not joking.) :laughing:

Actually, Snoogans, I'd go dressed the same way :o

Yes, I believe you would! :huh:

Yawwwn. :laughing:

Another year, another burning man topic.

It's on!

We will see how it goes.

:anibad:

Nothing like violating the guidelines with your first attempt at a hide.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

- Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

I agree with the suggestions in this topic. Please take time to review the guidelines linked above and to also go find some actual caches.

rest assured, I will follow all BLM and Burningman rules. I realize this doesnt fit your organizational structure. thanks for letting me post here. Archive at will.

Snoogans naked at Burning Man :anibad: ???? I pray that it wont turn into a traveling cache....

Anyone ever see that one show of Reno 911 when they tried to go to BurningMan? funny stuff

Anyways, I got the beads so......oh wait wrong event....

:huh: Lt Dangle in the chapps - :o

Well, there's a new "angle." :laughing:

Well we are around 80 some-odd days until the next Burning Man, I thought this thread needed to be woken back up! Hrmmm looks like it's caused some controversy in the past :) . Anyhoo, some of you out there will be thrilled to know that the Cache and Burn event is baaaaack! Others...well not so much.

It may also surprise some of you to know that not all of us that attend Burning Man are drug addicted naked hippies. Believe it or not, there are many people like myself who go primarily to get away from our default world. No cell service (ok, Nextel kind of works in Gerlach :D ), no computers, no TV, etc. You do remember what those days were like don't you??

Hope to see you out there!