Gpsmap 60CSx And USB Computer Connectoin

I just recived a GPSmap 60 csx for my birthday and I can't get it to connect to my computer as anything other than a mass storage device. (although I think 64 MB should be called a minor storage device).

I have tried three different programs, but they just won't recognize the GPS unit! ;)

Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you fix it and what software do you use to upload caches to your GPS unit.

Thanks for you help in advance,

Kara

if you plugged it into the USB port and let windows install the USB drivers it wanted to without using the CD that came with the device then the wrong drivers might be installed.

I'd try planewood's suggestion first. hopefully that will install the drivers too (install mapsource or the trip and waypoint manager - then try to plug in the gpsr).

if that doesn't work, you might need to uninstall the drivers that windows installed, then plug it back in and let it find the drivers on the CD supplied with the unit (follow the install instructions that came with it).

trouble is, how to uninstall the generic drivers that are only letting you see the gpsr as a usb storage device - they will be in your device manager but in looking at mine, I don't see it, so you may need the unit plugged in to the PC to see it then uninstall. garmin tech support can help - I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

try the install suggestion first (above) and post back if that doesn't work.

EMHS, something else you may discover is that even with the correct USB drivers installed, there are many generic applications that still cannot talk to your 60CSx, either because they can only handle serial ports or because they cannot understand GARMIN protocol, which is the only option over USB. There is a Garmin solution to this called Garmin Spanner which can be dowloaded from the GPS18 section of the Garmin website. It allows Administrator to create virtual COM ports, and then converts the GARMIN-protocol signal from the 60CSx to NMEA and hands it to the COM ports that have been created. Apart from the possibility of feeding multiple COM ports, it is the equivalent of connecting your 60CSx over a serial cable and setting the interface on the 60CSx to NMEA.