Inappropriately Named 2006 Jeep

How come every time you don't like something, people get to write you off as P.C.? The name is demeaning, period. Shouldn't have happened and there is no reason not to make it right. Our breasts are not for you to name stuff after. It's that kind of attitude that maked it ok to rape native women.

Edited by Kacky

I was afraid that my comments would be misconstrued. That's what I get for trying to write a coherent post while my 3yr old would rather that I come and play Legos with him ;)

I didn't mean to imply that I thought that it was appropriate to have a Jeep TB with that name, or even anything specific about this particular mountain.

Of course none of us were around when slavery was legal or when the Native Americans were displaced, I definitely didn't mean to imply that any of us should carry guilt about those incidents.

I keep getting distracted by the kids, so I don't have time to re-form all of my thoughts about what I was trying to say, so please just take this as a sincere apology to any that I've offended and know that it absolutely was NOT my intention.

-Kristin

Kristin {{hugs}}

My boy would like to come play Legos, too!

The name is demeaning, period.

Being called a woman is demeaning??? It sucks to be you, eh?

Give it up, dear, and let's be nice.

The name of the TB has been changed.

Nobody ever objected to the word "woman" in this thread.

From what I've seen, Kacky seems quite confident and comfortable in her own skin.

It makes you wonder if they had a 2006 "Brokeback Mountain" Green Jeep Travel Bug if it would virtually eliminate the Jeep travel bug hoarding, or if it would end up hawked on E-Bay for the equivolent of Bolivia's national debt.

Actually since you brought it up there is a TB from last year that fits the mold. Gay Jeep TB was released last year. We were fortunate enough to have him come this our area which was very tolerant of his lifestyle. So tolerant that he fell in love, or at least had someone named Horatio fall in love with him. They were reunited awhile back. Special thanks to Jeremy for making this love connection happen. Now Horatio has begun his journey to Sandy Utah to talk with their Mayor about the movie Brokeback Mountain since they were the first place in the US to ban the movie. Maybe they could reunite together there and watch the movie with the Mayor?

The name is demeaning, period.

Being called a woman is demeaning??? It sucks to be you, eh?

Give it up, dear, and let's be nice.

The name of the TB has been changed.

Nobody ever objected to the word "woman" in this thread.

From what I've seen, Kacky seems quite confident and comfortable in her own skin.

Thank you dahling.

Squaw is NOT an English word. It IS a phoenetic rendering of an Algonkian word that does NOT translate to "a woman's private parts." The word "squaw" - as "esqua," "squa," "skwa," "skwe" and other variants - traditionally means the totality of being female, not just the female anatomy. The word has been interpreted by modern activists as a slanderous assault against Native American women. But traditional Algonkian speakers, in both Indian and English, still say words like "nidobaskwa" = a female friend, "manigebeskwa" = woman of the woods, or "Squaw Sachem" = female chief. When Abenaki people sing the Birth Song, they address "nuncksquassis" = "little woman baby."

Well, I'm not following. I've hiked Squaw Peak in Phoenix, and thought that squaw was just a name referring to a female Native American. I still don't know specifically what female body part it supposedly refers to, but, if it doesn't, why have there been protests by the Native Americans themselves?

My only point with PC is that if a particular group finds a term that is used to represent them to be highly offensive, then why would we choose to use that word? Confrontation? Why? And if that word has an emotional charge, in my opinion it should be left out of usage in a corporate sponsorship deal.

There have been protests by Native Americans over the usage of the word for two reasons:

First, many NAs don't have nay idea of the true origin of the word, and were also taken in by the activists. Someone told them it was a "bad" word and they believed them.

Secondly, many NAs who do know their native language are offended by having a Massachusett word used for someone in their group. Much like someone from California might object to being called a Hoosier (the nickname for a person form Indiana).

Massachusett is one languages from the Algonquian family of languages. In the Algonquian language, the word means "female" --just as the wife in housewife, midwife, goodwife, and so forth all imply a female. (See my earlier post for links).

By the way, there are also groups of Native Americans who are equally anxious to make others aware of the true etymology of the word, and promote the use of native language words, because it helps to accurately portray to history of their culture. There are even groups who go so far as to assert that some people want remove all traces of native words from the language to eradicate all traces of native peoples).

Still, I'm glad that Jeremy and crew have opted to remove all the potentially misunderstood names from the jeeps. Too few people are willing to use these kinds of events as learning experiences and too anxious to use them to raise an uproar.

Wow, this string is getting very weird. Here is the updated TB "Peak" page. All on both sides of the issue will get a chuckle if you read the last part:

I get a bigger chuckle from the irony of the OP's listed occupation.

edited to add quote

Edited by BlueDeuce

Gee, whatever happened to "Sticks and stone will break my bones but names will never hurt me."?

All these people getting offended for someone else.

At least this little guy doesn't appear to be offended.

98252581_e7752ce27e_m.jpg

OMG! It's a blue tufted tit mouse! What an offensive little bird. We should exterminate them.

Gentlemen,

Sorry, however that is a private joke among friends. Attacking someone may feel good at the time but it really does undercut you eventually. Lets get a long and make this forum a friendly place for everyone.

So, it's ok to use offensive terms among your friends, but there is hell to pay if you don't like the factual, legal name of a mountain.

Gotcha.

You can always contact gc.com directly if you have an issue to address. The forum usually results in responses from users, odd as it may seem.

Personally I think the thread should have been closed after Jeremy's response.

No time like the present, I always say.

Jereme, I would be happy to have Squaw Tit or any of the other "offensive" mountains.

A few weeks back I spent the night in Bad Axe Michigan. And I often ride my motorcycle in Hell, Michigan. So not only mountains but we need to be careful of city names too. Oh by the way Climax Michigan is only a few miles away.

Jereme, I would be happy to have Squaw Tit or any of the other "offensive" mountains.

A few weeks back I spent the night in Bad Axe Michigan. And I often ride my motorcycle in Hell, Michigan. So not only mountains but we need to be careful of city names too. Oh by the way Climax Michigan is only a few miles away.

Maybe someone could move it to a cache in Intercourse, PA? (That's right next to Leacock).

Oh, what a slippery slope that political correctness crap is, eh?

Can we change all the maps GC.com uses to show "unknown town, PA" and "some city in MI"??

Edited by Mopar

Oh, while we are at it, can the politically correct types please remove all these places from the maps? I'm sure someone somewhere will be offended by them.

Ta Ta Creek (Canada)

Bigadic (Turkey)

Cockplay (Scotland)

Bangs Beach (Maine, USA)

Dickey (North Dakota, USA)

Pennis Wood (United Kingdom)

Gofuku (Japan)

Three Cocks (Wales)

Dickeyville (Wisconsin, USA)

Peterhead (Scotland)

Mount Gay (West Virginia)

Beaverville (Illinois, USA)

Bone Gap (Illinois, USA)

Little Dix Village (West Indies)

Iron Knob (Australia)

Big Knockerstown (United Kingdom)

Climax Springs (Missouri, USA)

Ironwood (Minnesota, USA)

Willacoochie (Georgia, USA)

Moreheadsville (Pennsylvania, USA)

Weener (Germany)

Deep Gap (Tennessee, USA)

Glasscock (Texas, USA)

Seman (Alabama, USA)

Long Dong (Guangxi, China)

Titless (Switzerland)

Onacock (Virginia, USA)

Maiden Gully (Australia)

Penistone (England)

Fort Dick (California, USA)

Butztown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Mary's Inlet (Canada)

Bobbin Head (Australia)

Mount Titlis (Switzerland)

Sexmoan (Luzon, Philippines)

Elephant Butte (New Mexico, USA)

Diksh*t (India)

Pis Pis River (Nicaragua)

Blowhard (Australia)

Sexbierum (Netherlands)

Reamstown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Pecker's Point (Newfoundland, Canada)

Lickdale (Pennsylvania)

Pickles Gap (Arkansas)

Mount Mee (Australia)

Titting (Germany)

Titty Ho (England)

Yocumtown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Fugit (Kentucky, USA)

Assinippi (Massachusetts, USA)

Big Cockup and Little Cockup (England)

Cocktown (Wexford, Ireland)

Cockburn (Australia)

Dyckesville (Wisconsin, USA)

Ballville (Ohio, USA)

Prickwillow (England)

Black Charlie's Opening (Australia)

Cockland (Ohio, USA)

Bloody Dick (Montana, USA)

Shafter (California, USA)

Beaver (Oklahoma, USA)

Mt. Buggery (Australia)

Handcock Town (North Carolina, USA)

sh*tlingthorpe (Yorkshire, UK)

Sackville (Canada)

Dildo, Canada

Twatt (Orkney, UK)

Muff (County Donegal, Ireland)

Maggie's Nipples (Wyoming, USA)

Bone's Knob (Queensland, Australia)

Fingringhoe (Essex, UK)

Titz (Germany)

Zip Down (Pennsylvania, USA)

Mount Holly (New Jersey, USA)

Edited by Mopar

Oh, while we are at it, can the politically correct types please remove all these places from the maps? I'm sure someone somewhere will be offended by them.

Ta Ta Creek (Canada)

Bigadic (Turkey)

Cockplay (Scotland)

Bangs Beach (Maine, USA)

Dickey (North Dakota, USA)

Pennis Wood (United Kingdom)

Gofuku (Japan)

Three Cocks (Wales)

Dickeyville (Wisconsin, USA)

Peterhead (Scotland)

Mount Gay (West Virginia)

Beaverville (Illinois, USA)

Bone Gap (Illinois, USA)

Little Dix Village (West Indies)

Iron Knob (Australia)

Big Knockerstown (United Kingdom)

Climax Springs (Missouri, USA)

Ironwood (Minnesota, USA)

Willacoochie (Georgia, USA)

Moreheadsville (Pennsylvania, USA)

Weener (Germany)

Deep Gap (Tennessee, USA)

Glasscock (Texas, USA)

Seman (Alabama, USA)

Long Dong (Guangxi, China)

Titless (Switzerland)

Onacock (Virginia, USA)

Maiden Gully (Australia)

Penistone (England)

Fort Dick (California, USA)

Butztown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Mary's Inlet (Canada)

Bobbin Head (Australia)

Mount Titlis (Switzerland)

Sexmoan (Luzon, Philippines)

Elephant Butte (New Mexico, USA)

Diksh*t (India)

Pis Pis River (Nicaragua)

Blowhard (Australia)

Sexbierum (Netherlands)

Reamstown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Pecker's Point (Newfoundland, Canada)

Lickdale (Pennsylvania)

Pickles Gap (Arkansas)

Mount Mee (Australia)

Titting (Germany)

Titty Ho (England)

Yocumtown (Pennsylvania, USA)

Fugit (Kentucky, USA)

Assinippi (Massachusetts, USA)

Big Cockup and Little Cockup (England)

Cocktown (Wexford, Ireland)

Cockburn (Australia)

Dyckesville (Wisconsin, USA)

Ballville (Ohio, USA)

Prickwillow (England)

Black Charlie's Opening (Australia)

Cockland (Ohio, USA)

Bloody Dick (Montana, USA)

Shafter (California, USA)

Beaver (Oklahoma, USA)

Mt. Buggery (Australia)

Handcock Town (North Carolina, USA)

sh*tlingthorpe (Yorkshire, UK)

Sackville (Canada)

Dildo, Canada

Twatt (Orkney, UK)

Muff (County Donegal, Ireland)

Maggie's Nipples (Wyoming, USA)

Bone's Knob (Queensland, Australia)

Fingringhoe (Essex, UK)

Titz (Germany)

Zip Down (Pennsylvania, USA)

Mount Holly (New Jersey, USA)

:D

THAT'S IT!!! Now where's that report post thingy? :o

Sheesh! If events were as uptight as THIS thread...... I wouldn't have attended over 60 of 'em......

I can't stands the PC crowd at all. A good cachin' bud who happens to LOVE hockey caved to the PC whiners and gave up the name "Puck Off" to cease the email he was getting.

I think I'll change my cachin' name to "Niggardly" and see how long it takes someone to complain about it. :laughing::rolleyes::P

Gee, whatever happened to "Sticks and stone will break my bones but names will never hurt me."?

OMG! It's a blue tufted tit mouse! What an offensive little bird. We should exterminate them.

Only an idiot would think the bird was named for a woman's breast. And it's lovely that Squaw is not an insult in every language. I suppose the name Squaw's Tit was meant in a reverent, respectful sort of way? Yeah right.

Hey, I don't have to be a native American to be offended by "Squaw". I don't have to be black to be offended by the "N" word. If more people would be offended by bad things happening to those around them, maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Yep that's right. I invoked rape and the Holocaust in the same thread. It's that important, people.

I can't stands the PC crowd at all. A good cachin' bud who happens to LOVE hockey caved to the PC whiners and gave up the name "Puck Off" to cease the email he was getting.

Quit labelling people. We're all individuals with our own sensibilities. Yeah, I know we're hopelessly off topic. I shut up now.

Only an idiot would think the bird was named for a woman's breast. And it's lovely that Squaw is not an insult in every language. I suppose the name Squaw's Tit was meant in a reverent, respectful sort of way? Yeah right.

Um..

The Squawtit mountain isn't referring to a breast. Tit (or teat) refers to a peak as the original meaning. Popular culture has twisted it to mean what it does now.

I suppose "Grand Tetons" means "large breasts", then? Teton and tit are related words. Better rename that entire mountain range. Maybe "Big Mountains". That's got a ring to it, eh?

Edited by BlueNinja

Hey, I don't have to be a native American to be offended by "Squaw". I don't have to be black to be offended by the "N" word. If more people would be offended by bad things happening to those around them, maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Yep that's right. I invoked rape and the Holocaust in the same thread. It's that important, people.

We could both tell much worse stories, and they'd be true.

But this isn't the place.

The issue had been addressed and the thread needs to die.

I suppose "Grand Tetons" means "large breasts", then? Teton and tit are related words. Better rename that entire mountain range. Maybe "Big Mountains". That's got a ring to it, eh?

The NPS says:

"The Tetons received their name from French-Canadian trappers who accompanied the earliest British expeditions into this territory. As they approached the range from the west, they beheld three towering mountains upon which they bestowed the name of "Trois Tetons" ("Three Breasts"). This romantic designation was readily adopted by the lonely trapping fraternity to whom the sharp snowy peaks (now known as the Grand, Middle and South Tetons) became a beacon to guide them through the hostile wilderness. To the Indians the Tetons were variously known as "The Three Brothers," "The Hoaryheaded Fathers," and "Tee Win-at," meaning "The Pinnacles." The earliest Americans in the region, being more practical than romantic, could find no better name for the silvery spires than "The Pilot Knobs," while an official Hudson's Bay Company map indicates with equal homeliness, "The Three Paps." The name "Three Tetons" survived, however, and was officially recognized by cartographers. The name first appeared publicly in the Bonneville Map of 1837."

Sounds like the white man just has a thing for naming stuff after boobies.....

The NPS says:

"The Tetons received their name from French-Canadian trappers who accompanied the earliest British expeditions into this territory. As they approached the range from the west, they beheld three towering mountains upon which they bestowed the name of "Trois Tetons" ("Three Breasts").

(snip)

Sounds like the white man just has a thing for naming stuff after boobies.....

See? We SHOULD rename them!

:o

My point is, people aren't making an uproar over these. Why single one mountain out?

Another vote for thread of the month, Jhwk :P

Edited by BlueNinja

"Can't we all just get along" (R.K.) Sad that we have to play that "CARD" even with a sport/hobby like geocaching. My JEEP'S name is "White Chief Peak" (CO) , and the peak was given that name for whatever historical reasons (I would assume after a great "white chief"). Being half Native American I wouldn't want to change any of the peaks or mountains names. They are all part of "OUR" history.

Edited by wandering360

It's a close call but I will invoke Godwin's Law on this one.