Accuracy Of Gpsmap 60csx And 76csx

Hi, I just find out, on Garmin website www.garmin.com, for both 60csx and 76csx, under specification seciton, it stated as:

GPS accuracy:

* Position: <10 meters, typical

* Velocity: .05 meter/sec steady state

DGPS (WAAS) accuracy:

* Position: <5 meters, typical

However, if you look at Manual (You can find PDF manul from Garmin web), for 60csx, it stated as:

GPS accuracy:

* Position: <10 meters (33 feet) 95%, typical*

* Subject to ........

DGPS (WAAS) accuracy:

* Position: 3-5 meters(10-16 feet) 95%, typical

And for 76csx, it stated as:

GPS accuracy, Position: <10 metters (49 feet) 95%, typical* (*subject to .......)

I would consider it as misleading, if you check nuvi's manual, it's same as web (without 95%), and even worth, on manul, 60csx is 33feet, 76csx is 49feet.

any comment?

Yup, you caught 'em. Looks to me like a genuine typo in the manual for the 76. 10 meters is about 33 feet, no matter how you spell it.

Since accuracy is a function of satellite positions, atmospheric conditions, and a number of other things beyond Garmin's control, it is pretty hard to pin down. I would say that most users report far greater accuracy that these figures for their x units.

I live in the US and I use meters on my gps. I don't trust the stanard units. Lets say your standing in a field. With standard units it may say 16 feet, but in metric it will say 3-4 meters. When hunting a cache I like to know about where I am instead of trying to pace it out and I find that I'm usually WITHIN a certain number of meters rather than an exact distance in feet away. If you took a tape measure to a cache site you'll find that knowing the number of feet is useless because it's almost always wrong.

Robert

Hi, I just find out, on Garmin website www.garmin.com, for both 60csx and 76csx, under specification seciton, it stated as:

GPS accuracy:

* Position: <10 meters, typical

DGPS (WAAS) accuracy:

* Position: <5 meters, typical

However, if you look at Manual (You can find PDF manul from Garmin web), for 60csx, it stated as:

GPS accuracy:

* Position: <10 meters (33 feet) 95%, typical*

* Subject to ........

DGPS (WAAS) accuracy:

* Position: 3-5 meters(10-16 feet) 95%, typical

And for 76csx, it stated as:

GPS accuracy, Position: <10 metters (49 feet) 95%, typical* (*subject to .......)

I would consider it as misleading, if you check nuvi's manual, it's same as web (without 95%), and even worth, on manul, 60csx is 33feet, 76csx is 49feet.

any comment?

When I use a Gillson antenna with my 60cx I generally get 3 FEET (~1 meter, for you young squirts) accuracy. Course I only use mine for waypoint marking when the HDOP is the lowest for the day. Being 65 yrs old, I ain't going to tromp around through the boonies unless the sats are in their optimum position.

What's misleading? I don't get it.

The website, which is like an advertisement states the accuracy in a simplified form. The manual, it would appear just expands on it. They are not saying anything materially different.

The 95% thing is the statistical confidence that the unit will do what it says it will do. The Nuvi is as accurate as stated with 95% confidence (whether it states so or not).