Devil's Tower Bench Mark R 4

Z-man12

:) Ok now I am confused this thing seems like it should be in the data base but it is not. I saw one of the paper weight replicas and asked the ranger if there were any near by and he told me about this one. I didn't know tell I got back about the one on the top of the tower (bet that was a beast to lay any way). What the heck is this one then? Any one got answers or help.

m1118R%204m241.jpg

PV0523 DEVILS TOWER

Did you get a picture of the Tower?

The Tower is the Benchmark.

Designation: DEVILS TOWER TOP CENTER

Marker Type: tower

Documented History (by the NGS)

1/1/1949 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)

DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1949 (VRS) THE TOWER IS LOCATED A LITTLE WEST OF THE CENTER OF CROOK COUNTY, WHICH LIES IN THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF WYOMING, 29 MILES NORTHWEST OF SUNDANCE, AND 33 MILES NORTHEAST OF MOORCROFT. THE TOWER RISES TO A HEIGHT OF 1,280 FEET FROM THE RIVER BED AND SOME 865 FEET FROM ITS APPARENT BASE ON THE HILL TOP. THE DIAMETER AT ITS BASE IS APPROXIMATELY 1,000 FEET, AND AT THE TOP AVERAGES 275 FEET. THE POINT INTERSECTED WAS THE APPROXIMATE CENTER OF THE TOP.

It appears that you have found one of the thousands of disks that were never included in the NGS database, which GC. got in 2000. There are a great many U.S.G.S. disks in this category.

If you took coordinates of the disk, you can log it in the Recovered U.S. Benchmarks Waymarking site, also managed by Groundspeak. The category is for those disks not included in the regular GC database.

Welcome to benchmark hunting! ;)

To have more fun with benchmark hunting, put your zip code in the Benchmark Hunting search and FAQ page and be sure to read the whole page to get some useful information about benchmark hunting.

Hey, we were just there a couple of weeks ago too. That is a cool place and worth the trip to see. As I remember the paperweight benchmark that you can purchase in the gift shop is stamped with the elevation of the gift shop, and it is also posted on the front of the gift shop, which is just a few feet higher than the benchmark set in a rock near the ranger station which was stamped 4247.6'.

GPS was a little off, but then again I have never calibrated it for elevation

ce1b7bb1-ef9e-4ddf-a2a6-c589196459d5.jpg

The Tower!

b086cda1-ef42-4e99-a595-6e27aa00f8a1.jpg

Hey, we were just there a couple of weeks ago too. That is a cool place and worth the trip to see. As I remember the paperweight benchmark that you can purchase in the gift shop is stamped with the elevation of the gift shop, and it is also posted on the front of the gift shop, which is just a few feet higher than the benchmark set in a rock near the ranger station which was stamped 4247.6'.

That's a neat pic of the paperweight and the actual - well, one of them - disks. :P

That's a neat pic of the paperweight and the actual - well, one of them - disks. <_<

Yep, that’s the Benchmark near the rangers station. I haven’t looked it up myself, but I saw a post that said it is not in the database.

I know this topic is 2 years old but I googled the Devil's Tower benchmark and this topic was right near the top. Cool stuff! As the benchmark on the site appeared to be the top of the tower & not the one located near the visitor's center I was curious to see if I could find it listed anywhere. So far no luck but since I did take note of the coordinates I will try to get it listed on the Waymarking site.

A couple of folks have posted their previous climbs to the top as a find on the benchmark but no one mentions an actual mark at the top and their probably isn't one there. The site says the designation is an intersection point at the top (not the mark on the ground) and the marker type is Tower. So, since we did not climb to the top but do have the picture of the tower would that count? Or, is marker type what defines it? Is the Tower the true mark or the top? Thanks for any guidance.

And they still sell the cool benchmark trinkets. We were delighted to find them. We couldn't swing the paperweight but we did get the pin and the hiking stick medallion. Might turn the medallion into a TB that we carry with us.

GPX Navigators -

The benchmark PV0523 is the center of the top of the tower. So, you can log PV0523 without climbing to the top, same as with a radio tower benchmark. Certainly if someone does climb to the top, they can log PV0523 as well. :rolleyes:

The disk that people find near the ranger station is a U.S.G.S. mark that is not in the NGS database and so is not in Groundspeak's copy of it either. A find of that USGS mark is not a find of PV0523, even though it is more difficult to find. <_<

It is possible that there is some other disk at the top of Devils Tower, but I doubt it too. If there is such a disk, it is not in the NGS database.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

:laughing: Ok now I am confused this thing seems like it should be in the data base but it is not. I saw one of the paper weight replicas and asked the ranger if there were any near by and he told me about this one. I didn't know tell I got back about the one on the top of the tower (bet that was a beast to lay any way). What the heck is this one then? Any one got answers or help.

m1118R%204m241.jpg

A picture would have ben great!