Pocket Queries Revisited

Raptor660R

Ok, What am I missing here. I have gone through the tutorial 3 times to build a pocket query. I think Im doing the correct thing by using quiries so that I dont have to load each indiviual cache to GSAK. If I understand correctly, if I build a quiry, it will contain all the caches that fall within the criteria I have selcted.

Anyway, using the tutorial found herhttp://members.aol.com/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/pq.htm

I did precisely what they said to do. After I submitted it, I went back to My queries and went to preview the newly created query. It said that my query didnt contin any information. Is the query building software working properly or am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there any other way that I can download mulitple caches to GSAK so that I dont have to do them one at a time. I want to be able to use GPX formatg so that i can get more info about the cache into my database.

Ack, I don't have to read through all those instructions to see if they are right do I? :)

Here's my standard PQ.

Days to Generate: Today (Just one!)

Show me 400 caches (or 500)

That (and)

[check] I haven't found

[check] Is Active

From Origin

Postal Code [zipcode] (You have to click the radio button, just entering info won't do it.)

Within radius of 500

================

Now you can skip selecting a day. That will allow you to preview the results without actually submiting a PQ request. (you only have 5 per day)

edit: there/they're (I should know better)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Old website. New one: www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Anyway, re-read the common error and the computer logic - make sure that you don't select too many limiting factors, like all of the caches that you HAVE found AND that you HAVE NOT (no single cache can have both of those qualities).

Note that this forum allows you to insert a link in a post in this thread. If you grab the link (URL) from the page where you are setting up this PQ, and paste that link in a post here, then we can look at how you are setting it up (we cannot edit your version of it). If you do that, then we can advise you as to what you are doing wrong.

Most likely you have checked two opposing characteristics (e.g. "have found" and "have not found") - uncheck them both and try a preview -that should show you if you are having this problem.

Edited by Hynr

Note that this forum allows you to insert a link in a post in this thread. If you grab the link (URL) from the page where you are setting up this PQ, and paste that link in a post here, then we can look at how you are setting it up (we cannot edit your version of it). If you do that, then we can advise you as to what you are doing wrong.

Most likely you have checked two opposing characteristics (e.g. "have found" and "have not found") - uncheck them both and try a preview -that should show you if you are having this problem.

When are you guys going to get the pocket queries fixed when you read them with mobipocket that it shows it in order from closest, not all jumbled up. I hate to complain, I went through Groundspeak and was directed to here for my issues after getting a trouble ticket number. ;)

Sounds like your e-mail provider is killing them. This is from my FAQ under the "Hot Topics":

There are a couple of things to check.
  • Make sure your results are set to "Zip". Overzealous virus filters may kick out .gpx files, even though they cannot execute (they're just actually text files).
    pqgrid.jpg
  • Did you select a day to run? Even if you tell the query "run once then delete" you HAVE to select a day of the week ("Monday") for the PQ to run.
  • Did you mistakenly click "Add to queue"? The "Add to Queue" button on the pocket query page is ONLY for getting a pocket query of all of YOUR finds.
  • Did the query generate yet? On the Pocket Query Page in the grid, if the query has generated in the last 24 hours, it will be bold with a date. If it hasn't generated yet, it may just be waiting its turn. See the note on "priorities" below.
  • Check your spam folder. With a subject line that looks automated and an attachment that is likely in the format of 999999.zip, some overzealous spam filters may place it there.

The two I highlighted in red would be a problem on your end with your e-mail provider. Since others are receiving theirs, it's not likely to be a Geocaching.com problem. AOL (and some others) have been throttling e-mails lately.

Edited by Markwell

Nope and nope, files are sent as zip and the query is not being routed to the spam folder. Of interest is that this is a new phenomenon, having run PQ's for 1 year without incident, it crops up within the last week, which just happened to be the week of renewal of account. I also not that others are experiencing E Mail notification problems as am I. Log entries from watchlist come two and three times and arrive a week after the entry was made ???? I don't think the problem is on this end.

Thanks for the advice, tried it--now I have to wait for the validation E Mail to come through. :D:D

Best part is the PQ's arrived at my old E Mail address about 15 minutes after I did it, so now I have updated PQ's but can't access my account. The bottom line there is a problem associated with GC E mail not routing properly. Another 3 day old log arrived today.

And I still maintain that it's your provider not delivering, not GC.com sending late. If your sister mails you a package by Fed Ex, and you don't receive it for 3 weeks after she sent it, do you blame your sister for not mailing it promptly or Fed Ex?

Did you check the internet headers to see when it was sent and when it was delivered?

Edited by Markwell

received an E mail of a find on my cache that was logged online on8/8. It arrived my E mail box today 8/11. I don't think the problem is out here.

That could also be someone back-dating their logs. If I was traveling, and couldn't access the 'net, I would log my caches for the day I found them, not with the current date. So someone might have found your cache on 8/8, but finally gotten around to logging their find today.

The bottom line there is a problem associated with GC E mail not routing properly. Another 3 day old log arrived today.

It's AOL's issue. Our mail server is sitting there knocking on AOL's door but they refuse to answer. We have gone through the proper channels at AOL and it is up to them to bring your service back.

In the meantime just get another email account like gmail. There are plenty of free services out there that can route your email faster than AOL does.

Please, please quit blaming us already.