Please More Adult Items In Cache

I love the exersize (nned to lose weight)

I love the hunting

I love the scenery, seeing new places

And I love trading things.

The swag is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The rainbow was sweet, following the rainbow was a great adventure then you find something cool at the end and it just got even better!

Theres been times I found nothing worth taking, theres been time I and everyone with me found something they thought was cool and wanted. It's for that reason that I always take the whole bag of swag so I can leave multiple things if I find multiple things I want.

I always gather stuff to trade that I find interesting, that I would want, that is not so hard. I don't want a plastic 10 cent trinket so I don't collect those for my tradeables. I do get things for kids and adults but still not cheap trash, I recently left a pair of childs ladybug socks in a cache. They are for kids but they aren't cheap trash that you'll lose and never touch again.

I have been caching for several months now. I love this sport but one thing that is frustrating me is, I am buying trade items to replace for what I take out, And all that I am finding in these cache's are toys for my child. Isn't this an adult sport? I do not mind an occasional toy, (it helps to keep the children motivated, but hey I need some motivation too after trekking for an hour to find these cache's.) If I didn't want a trade item then I would have looked for a micro. Also remember when you go out and check on your cache's to take with you, some new trade items. There are items in there that no-one would want. Old rusty keychains, pens that have leaked, etc... Sorry for the grip, I will still be out there caching. See you on the trail.

I didn't even need to read the replies to your post to know that you were going to get some heat for this one. I'm not going to pile on with the others about your motivations for Geocaching and so on. I'll just make this one comment about walking your own talk. Each time you find a cache you are faced with a personal choice and what you do next is 99% goes unsupervised. This a classic moment of being alone with your own conscious.

Why not take some action of your own at this moment? Seems like you are no different that most in that there's been some disappointment at this moment of opening the cache container that you just found. Why not "walk the talk" and let this influence what you carry in -your own- swag bag and what you do after opening the lid? Go ahead, take a look at what YOU carry. I'll wait right here until you get back. This bag before you is a reflection of how you've been playing the game up until now. Let's call it your Geo-report Card. Some questions as you peer into the bag:

1. Are you carrying something that would be fun for -all- ages that might find them? If you find a cache with all kids stuff in it, do you have something an adult would like to find that you can leave?

2. How will your swag hold up to the elements if they don't get taken right away? Did you bring a plastic bag to protect them?

3. Is there anything unique and special about these items that would make -you- smile if -you found them?

4. Would another cacher look at these items and be motivated to "do better" with their own trade items?

I'll leave you with one golden rule that if practiced by everyone, you wouldn't be posting something like this. When you find a cache, ask yourself a question. "What does this cache need and how can we leave it better than when we found it?" If the trading items are sparse, put a few of your better items in there. If it is dirty, bust out your caching cleaning kit. If the container needs repair, what do you have with you to weatherproof it or repair it?

You've got over 700 finds... how can YOU make the next 700 -better-? You'll never change anything whining in a an Internet forum, the best you can hope for is to get someone to whine along with you. Set an example and walk the talk at YOUR next find...

WHAT THEY SAID :laughing:

let me throw some gas... err... I mean my thoughts on this fire.

1.) Geocoins and Travel Bugs are not trade items. They (usually) have specific goals. By all means take them, log them, help them meet their goal and move them on. No trade item required.

2.) Swag. THESE are trade items. Yes, you should try to trade even/up, but many don't. If you take something (swag), leave something (swag) - not rocks, paper clips or pocket lint, etc. On the other hand, if you do want to leave pocket link, we have a cache for that. :laughing:

With extremely rare exception, I dont take/trade swag. I am more interested in the hunt and finding the cache. I do take Geocoins/Travel Bugs (see #1) and help them on whatever the owner has stated as their mission. If no mission is stated, I simply move it to another cache so that others can find it. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. You get the idea.

As for more "adult" items - meh. It doesnt really matter to me if I find caches with "adult" vs "kid" items in them.

For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey. Tools like pressure guages, wrenches and tape measures are always appreciated.

As a geocaching woman who hikes through mud, thrashes through thorns and climbs cliffs for fun when I'm not geocaching, I don't think smelly candles are the kind of thing I'd be looking to take from a geocache! :)

However, I would appreciate a tape measure, they always come in useful! :)

p.s. smelly candles make me sneeze. :laughing:

Heh. I knew that'd get a response but I think you see what I mean. I am a man who likes fruity smelling candles (berries and apples). Flowery scents make me get a headache.

I pretty much only put toys in my hides. I figure if adults want stuff they can go buy it. I don't trade swag unless I am with my kids. My kids love to trade swag and my oldest one is much more motivated to go caching if they think there will be good swag. For my youngest I sometimes bring swag and pretend it came from the cache we just found.

You must not give good birthday or Christmas gifts eh? It's not a matter of what people want but what people don't realize they would like until they see it and go "Oh Cool". Logically you shouldn't even leave kids toys as their folks could probably afford them.

I'm kinda curious now. I love the hunt. I see others love the hunt. Some are treasure seekers. So how and when did geocaching begin? (Please no "well you see, sailors and pirates were using longitude and latitude coordinates as early as 200 b.c. near ancient symiria" answers). I mean, was it a hi tech treasure hunt or was it just a "Tag, I found the mark" type deal?

There is no logic in that at all unless you hate kids.

For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey. Tools like pressure guages, wrenches and tape measures are always appreciated.

As a geocaching woman who hikes through mud, thrashes through thorns and climbs cliffs for fun when I'm not geocaching, I don't think smelly candles are the kind of thing I'd be looking to take from a geocache! :)

However, I would appreciate a tape measure, they always come in useful! :)

p.s. smelly candles make me sneeze. :laughing:

Heh. I knew that'd get a response but I think you see what I mean. I am a man who likes fruity smelling candles (berries and apples). Flowery scents make me get a headache.

I pretty much only put toys in my hides. I figure if adults want stuff they can go buy it. I don't trade swag unless I am with my kids. My kids love to trade swag and my oldest one is much more motivated to go caching if they think there will be good swag. For my youngest I sometimes bring swag and pretend it came from the cache we just found.

You must not give good birthday or Christmas gifts eh? It's not a matter of what people want but what people don't realize they would like until they see it and go "Oh Cool". Logically you shouldn't even leave kids toys as their folks could probably afford them.

I'm kinda curious now. I love the hunt. I see others love the hunt. Some are treasure seekers. So how and when did geocaching begin? (Please no "well you see, sailors and pirates were using longitude and latitude coordinates as early as 200 b.c. near ancient symiria" answers). I mean, was it a hi tech treasure hunt or was it just a "Tag, I found the mark" type deal?

My point is the effect it has on kids is the same it has on adults. Something cool looking they would have never seen before.

After my first couple of trips doing this, I rarely ever carry anything to leave anymore. I never take anything. If I do, I usually have at least something to leave that will work out in an even exchange. That being said, the only things I feel are worth taking anymore are the personal things and I am hoping to make some personal things soon as well. I do grab TBs/geocoins, but was always told you don't need to leave anything in return because all you are doing is moving them to the next cache anyway.

I like this hobby for the hunt. It's fun and it gets me outside and getting exercise besides just going to the gym. And hell, if I found something I really, really wanted, I'd be willing to bet I have a $5 or $10 bill I could leave for the next cacher. :laughing:

That being said, I do want to order a few light swag items from Groundspeak (like the patches or pins) to be able to leave a hard-looking cache or the very rare one where there's something I want and need to leave a few items to trade up.

1 ammo can today the contents were, log book, 6 pens, cassette tape of gospel music, some religious handouts, business cards, 5 plastic bugs, childs telescope, and a film can with cito bags.

I guessing you think there is something wrong with the contents?

Hopefully, you placed something "nice" and "adult" in that cache to rectify the situation.

If not, are expecting someone else to do it first?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/history.aspx

I'll be honest, I enjoy the hike, I enjoy the hunt, and I do enjoy the "cache", but in my limited experience... the cache is usually junk. My kids are 13 and they feel the same me. The girls have found a few items which they are very proud of.

We are in the process of setting up 3 swag themed caches. One will be for adult oriented items. I hate to be harsh, but I think the only way to make this work, is have people trade up, or even with the the theme of the cache. If they don't, I'm won't allow the log. I hate to do it, but I think it's the only way.

I recently placed a cache. There wasn't one item in the cache that cost me less than $25. I put a lot of thought into the items and wanted it to be a cool find for anyone that found it. One of the first few finds and someone took the Snap on Ratchet set - small sized, and exchanged for a dirty plastic toy pig. Not sure how they figured that was a good trade item, but they did. Please understand, the dollar amount is not what I use to judge the value of swag items. But, junk, is junk. I see no value in a dirty toy... (unless the cacher left a note telling us there was some significance to it)

I'll be honest, I enjoy the hike, I enjoy the hunt, and I do enjoy the "cache", but in my limited experience... the cache is usually junk. My kids are 13 and they feel the same me. The girls have found a few items which they are very proud of.

We are in the process of setting up 3 swag themed caches. One will be for adult oriented items. I hate to be harsh, but I think the only way to make this work, is have people trade up, or even with the the theme of the cache. If they don't, I'm won't allow the log. I hate to do it, but I think it's the only way.

I recently placed a cache. There wasn't one item in the cache that cost me less than $25. I put a lot of thought into the items and wanted it to be a cool find for anyone that found it. One of the first few finds and someone took the Snap on Ratchet set - small sized, and exchanged for a dirty plastic toy pig. Not sure how they figured that was a good trade item, but they did. Please understand, the dollar amount is not what I use to judge the value of swag items. But, junk, is junk. I see no value in a dirty toy... (unless the cacher left a note telling us there was some significance to it)

I'm gonna have to keep the log thingy in mind. Me and a friend are planning to set up a nice psuedo multi. 4 caches that are normal but also contain clues to a fifth. I'd hate to have the fifth be filled with vending machine toys. It isn't about monetary value but a "coolness" factor. Of course we plan on having real nice stuff for teh FTF.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/history.aspx

Thanks. Wow I totally forgot about the black bucket. I remember when this happened and I am pretty sure the Mike Teague mentioned is someone I knew a while back as he lives in the region (and is a great guitar player!).

Recently I took a trip to British Columbia (last week) and being relatively new to this sport, learned how to cache along a route and set out. For those of you that are unfamiliar with BC, it can be a very wet province. This was quite obvious when I anxiously started to cache in another province for the first time. The caches were so wet I couldn't sign some of the log books. I actually had to pour water out of some. Of the 20 or so caches I found, the only ones that contained the bugs or coins that were supposed to be inside were the TB hotels. Actualy, I don't think I even recovered a single coin. And this is MY adult swag. I enjoy locating bugs and coins, and try to move them only towards their destination, if they have one. Most swag is garbage and I'll just take it out and throw it away. I DO carry some novel trade items to reward a nice cache, or if I find something I might like to keep. On my short excursion here are a few of the 'non family friendly' items I removed from some BC caches:

-a razor blade knife

-a rusty fishing lure, complete with hook

-a condom

-a broken glass ornament

-a chocolate bar (friendly enough, but apparntly a no-no)

-a half smoked joint (BC's finest I'm sure)

I love the sport and will continue to participate and slowly clean up the caches of junk as I go. Like I said, the movement of bugs and coin is enough to reward me, but it just irks me when someone removes one from a cache and doesn't record it. Puzle caches are also part of the adult thing toofor me too. Did I whine enough?

I'll bite on this one :unsure:

In regards to the trinkets & trading: As stated, always trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all. I like good trinkets but that's not why I'm hunting. I think I've only traded out an item one or two times. I do carry trinkets and items with me in case a cache is in dire need. I will leave 4 or 5 items and not take anything just to restock a cache. It only makes sense.

The dollar tree is a great store. Everything is a $1 and they have plenty of stuff for adults and kids alike. Items I get for 1$: umbrellas, DvDs (cartoons and stuff), ponchos, canisters of bandaids, toys, books, batteries, rulers, pencils, small notepads, barrets, crayons, tools, etc - the list goes on and on... and its only a dollar! No, I'm not spending a fortune so the item isn't top of the line, but to have an umbrella that works 100 times is 100 times you haven't been rained on :anibad:

I think the best thing a person can do to help others is to show them how to trade. You leave nice items, the next person who comes with McDonald's toys will more than likely think twice about what they can do to leave better items. Yeah - so far a lot of caches are left with crap inside so.... crap begets crap, yes? Take some crap and leave something nice.... it'll catch on eventually.

As for caching with the kids - my children are now 6 and 8 (almost 7 and 8 hehehe) and when they first started (ages 4 and 6), they liked to find the items. It was a way to give them a positive experience with caching. Then I started sliding in the micro's which while they were somewhat "eh, no fun" but didn't complain a whole lot. The next year, I allowed them to pick out their own trade items and they carried them with them and learned how to trade. How if you want something, you gotta trade it yourself. They learned that its not a big deal to not take anything and now, they love to go and hunting the micro's is just as fun as the regular caches. They still bring their items just in case something is reallllly cool, but generally they just get excited to know they found it.

Our cache "adventure" yesterday was 2 caches in the same park. One was a micro and the other was a small..... guess what - my daughter (the 6 year old) found the micro and was absolutely thrilled at the container and wanted her picture taken with it and laughed at how cool it was. No items - no nothing. My son found the small and got a sense of pride in just the find... no trades were made yesterday. (reminded she needs to upload her cool pictures from yesterday hehehe)

So yeah - small kids enjoy the incentive and the incentive makes it a lot easier for a parent to teach their kids the fun of caching and the value or trading and making others happy with what they can leave behind.... Its not bad for kids to like the swag... as long as they can grow up and learn the lessons needed.

I'll bite on this one :unsure:

In regards to the trinkets & trading: As stated, always trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all. I like good trinkets but that's not why I'm hunting. I think I've only traded out an item one or two times. I do carry trinkets and items with me in case a cache is in dire need. I will leave 4 or 5 items and not take anything just to restock a cache. It only makes sense.

The dollar tree is a great store. Everything is a $1 and they have plenty of stuff for adults and kids alike. Items I get for 1$: umbrellas, DvDs (cartoons and stuff), ponchos, canisters of bandaids, toys, books, batteries, rulers, pencils, small notepads, barrets, crayons, tools, etc - the list goes on and on... and its only a dollar! No, I'm not spending a fortune so the item isn't top of the line, but to have an umbrella that works 100 times is 100 times you haven't been rained on :anibad:

I think the best thing a person can do to help others is to show them how to trade. You leave nice items, the next person who comes with McDonald's toys will more than likely think twice about what they can do to leave better items. Yeah - so far a lot of caches are left with crap inside so.... crap begets crap, yes? Take some crap and leave something nice.... it'll catch on eventually.

As for caching with the kids - my children are now 6 and 8 (almost 7 and 8 hehehe) and when they first started (ages 4 and 6), they liked to find the items. It was a way to give them a positive experience with caching. Then I started sliding in the micro's which while they were somewhat "eh, no fun" but didn't complain a whole lot. The next year, I allowed them to pick out their own trade items and they carried them with them and learned how to trade. How if you want something, you gotta trade it yourself. They learned that its not a big deal to not take anything and now, they love to go and hunting the micro's is just as fun as the regular caches. They still bring their items just in case something is reallllly cool, but generally they just get excited to know they found it.

Our cache "adventure" yesterday was 2 caches in the same park. One was a micro and the other was a small..... guess what - my daughter (the 6 year old) found the micro and was absolutely thrilled at the container and wanted her picture taken with it and laughed at how cool it was. No items - no nothing. My son found the small and got a sense of pride in just the find... no trades were made yesterday. (reminded she needs to upload her cool pictures from yesterday hehehe)

So yeah - small kids enjoy the incentive and the incentive makes it a lot easier for a parent to teach their kids the fun of caching and the value or trading and making others happy with what they can leave behind.... Its not bad for kids to like the swag... as long as they can grow up and learn the lessons needed.

I am now pointing at my nose. Right on. I agree whole heartedly.

I suspect new cache hunters are possibly the worst traders. It takes a little while to come up with good ideas for unique trade items.

Here's a thought. There are currently caches only available to premium members. Perhaps there could be another type. The cache owner could set a minimum find level, such as 50 or 100. Only cachers with that many finds under their belt could get the coordinates. It would help deter people who get an account and raid caches, but never log.

This would partially solve another problem I've seen. People sign the cache log but never log the find online. They might be more likely to log if they know there are high level caches out there.

Cache owners could even delete smileys of pirates.

Obviously not a total solution, but just an idea I came up with while reading this message thread.

I suspect new cache hunters are possibly the worst traders. It takes a little while to come up with good ideas for unique trade items.

Here's a thought. There are currently caches only available to premium members. Perhaps there could be another type. The cache owner could set a minimum find level, such as 50 or 100. Only cachers with that many finds under their belt could get the coordinates.

I don't know if I'd agree that poor trading is a result of being a new cacher. I'm a new cacher and am confident that I've left quality swag. We have replenished a few caches with some better quality swag and took nothing, yet I'm well under 100 find level. (We don't cache every day, nor every week... so it could take us a years to get to this number)

Everyone perceives different value for different swag items. I'm not a fan of McDonalds toys.... yet, I've heard others respond about their collectability. I guess to each their own. But, as I mentioned before, I do think most people understand, junk is junk.

People spend $$ on new GPS units, yet think it's ok to leave a used dirty golf ball, or, in the case of my post, a dirty toy pig. BTW, the cacher that left the dirty toy had over 300 finds.

It's not a terrible suggestion, but I don't think fair.

Here's a thought. There are currently caches only available to premium members. Perhaps there could be another type. The cache owner could set a minimum find level, such as 50 or 100. Only cachers with that many finds under their belt could get the coordinates.

I don't know if I'd agree that poor trading is a result of being a new cacher. I'm a new cacher and am confident that I've left quality swag. We have replenished a few caches with some better quality swag and took nothing, yet I'm well under 100 find level. (We don't cache every day, nor every week... so it could take us a years to get to this number)

Everyone perceives different value for different swag items. I'm not a fan of McDonalds toys.... yet, I've heard others respond about their collectability. I guess to each their own. But, as I mentioned before, I do think most people understand, junk is junk.

People spend $$ on new GPS units, yet think it's ok to leave a used dirty golf ball, or, in the case of my post, a dirty toy pig. BTW, the cacher that left the dirty toy had over 300 finds.

It's not a terrible suggestion, but I don't think fair.

you summed up two points I wanted to post. Number one) I am a new cacher and almost instantly realized the low quality swag and realized all I did was contribute to it with my signature items.

Number 2) People spending 200-500 dollars on a gps unit and leaving only golf balls, bobbers and then grilling into people about crap swag. Seems a bit lop sided. I have the cheapest possible GPS and already have things to place that are nice and my friend leaves a dollar and he has the gps unit a step up from me.

For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey.

Two problems with "smelly candles" They smell...imagine what a hot day can do to release the oder? and what a hot day does to wax? Messy and gross. that might as well be that nasty bubble goo that I hate when I open a cache

Good point! Car air freshners it is! I kid.

I have been caching for several months now. I love this sport but one thing that is frustrating me is, I am buying trade items to replace for what I take out, And all that I am finding in these cache's are toys for my child. Isn't this an adult sport? I do not mind an occasional toy, (it helps to keep the children motivated, but hey I need some motivation too after trekking for an hour to find these cache's.) If I didn't want a trade item then I would have looked for a micro. Also remember when you go out and check on your cache's to take with you, some new trade items. There are items in there that no-one would want. Old rusty keychains, pens that have leaked, etc... Sorry for the grip, I will still be out there caching. See you on the trail.
I was going to suggest that you do caches that kids would not likely visit. Higher terrain caches (>2.5) with larger containers generally have better swag and trade items for adults. Edited by TrailGators

Me too. I don't understand the problem. If an adult wants a memento of a particular cache, the kiddy stuff should suffice for a souvenir. If they're looking for things they want or need, stores are a better source than geocaches.

Exactly. If you're in it to get stuff, trade in your GPS for a metal detector.

Exactly! While I do hate finding trashy broken and moldy junk in a cache that even a rather desperate kid would not want, simply because I hafta pick through it to get to the logbook, I do not hunt caches for the swag, and rather, I hunt caches for the fun of the exercise, the visit to the spot and the fun of finding the cache. If you want some nice items as goodies or treats for yourself, depending upon your budget, feel free to go to your local dollar store, or your local K-Mart, or your local high-end department store, or to go shopping online for treats.

Having said all that, I must admit that in both my area (MD) and when I find caches out west in the Rockies, I do notice that the quality of trade items in caches, even in very old caches that have been in place for many years, DRASTICALLY increases as the distance from roads increases and as the Terrain rating increases. It appears that (some, not all) families with children are the primary culprits in polluting the trade item pool in caches, and the tougher the terrain rating, the greater the chance that such a family with children will not stumble upon a cache.

BTW, I have noticed that more than one previous poster in this thread, including the OP (!!!!) communicated as fact the myth that geocoins and travel bugs are trade items and stated their belief that cachers who remove them should leave trade items in return. This is a myth and misconception; TBs and geocoins are not trade items, and rather, they are travelers, and thus their purpose is to travel.

If you want some nice items as goodies or treats for yourself, depending upon your budget, feel free to go to your local dollar store, or your local K-Mart, or your local high-end department store, or to go shopping online for treats.

Each one of us enjoys geocaching for are own reasons. I'm not rich, but I'm not poor... you are correct, I can shop for almost anything I want... and those things I can't afford, are likely not going to be found in a cache... but that dosen't change the fact that people should Trade UP, Trade EVEN, or don't trade.

If you don't want swag... great, don't swap any. Sign the log and move on. If there is something cool and you want it... even better... swap it out and give a better experience to the cacher that follows you.

If you cache with your kids and they want a momento, take something they'd like and leave something better. If you like swag or your own momento, do the same. I try to leave things that I like... but might not run to the store to buy...

I want nothing better than someone to follow me to a cache, open it up and say "WOW" that's cool. :unsure:

I should take pictures of the caches I find around here. Maybe it is just this area. Even the site says it'd be nice to put things of some value (not necessarily monetary).

Also, about geocoins, if I just spent 400 dollars on a lot of coins that are not activated and place them unactivated shouldn't it be the finders choice to activate them or keep them? I can understand activated coins being not for keeps but come on from what I read a lot of people like collecting unactivated coins and a lot of stashers love to give them with no intent of activation. I mean if it's going to be that uptight why even bother selling the things on ebay? Is there something I am missing here?

What I am getting here overall for profiles of cachers are this:

The hunters: Simply enjoy the hunt and just log or leave an item without taking anything except maybe a few pictures.

The hunter treasure seekers: Want a little more of a payoff for the hunt then a couple jacks and dice and are willing to give in equal trade.

The hunter giver: Like the hunter but likes to leave really nice goodies

The pirates: Love the hunt just for the treasure, take the 10 dollar McDonald's gift certificate and leave a bouncing ball or nothing at all

The cache killers: Love to leave things against the rules that may cause damage to a person or the cache (i.e. moustraps, bubble stuff...)

The collector hunters: Love the hunt and love it more when they can add a personalized item such as a card, coin or keychain to their geocache collection.

The family hunters: Brings the family. Enjoys the hunt and the excitement of the little ones. Leaves toys and the little ones take a toy.

There is no way to combine all of these to make everyone happy and the real dangers are The pirates and cache killers. I think it's reasonable to say we all have our different goals and rants seem to go either way. Is there a solution to all this?

As a geocaching woman who hikes through mud, thrashes through thorns and climbs cliffs for fun when I'm not geocaching, I don't think smelly candles are the kind of thing I'd be looking to take from a geocache! :anibad:

However, I would appreciate a tape measure, they always come in useful! :blink:

p.s. smelly candles make me sneeze. :unsure:

I actually got a tape measure today, a nice little retractable one and a nightlight.

As for smelly candles...ewww I can imagine the mess they would make in a Tucson cache most of the year and the possible vermin the fragrance might attract.

While I am off work on disability leave (most likely 3 months starting mid Apr) I plan to make some "signature" swag keychains from polymer clay.

Today I left Easter toys in all caches we visited that were large enough as well as my normal swag items and my calling card.

You could put a bunch of bouncy balls in a cache. Those are fun for both little and big kids (ah, I mean men). They are also pretty cheap. Party city sells 50 of 'em for like 3 bucks. They are so bouncy!!

Bounce ... Bounce ... Bounce ... Bounce :unsure:

I almost always grab a bouncy ball if there is one in the cache! I got some good size Elmo ones to leave in big enough caches.

There is no way to combine all of these to make everyone happy and the real dangers are The pirates and cache killers. I think it's reasonable to say we all have our different goals and rants seem to go either way. Is there a solution to all this?

As I posted prior, I hate acting like a "GEO-COP" but our next cache hide will be very explicit. Follow the theme and collect your smiley. TNLN Great! TNL something Great - Excellent! T Qaulity, Left Junk=No Smiley for you. (Suddenly I'm reminded of a Seinfield episode)

Is it fair to ask finders what they actually left as swag? I see some cachers log what they took and what they've left, while others say nothing about trading. (embarrased?)

My point is the effect it has on kids is the same it has on adults. Something cool looking they would have never seen before.

Sure, but I've got over 100 high quality hides and I'm not about to play Santa Clause for every geocaching adult in the region. Cache swag always degrades over time. No one complains to me about the fact that I only put toys in my lowland hides. Local cachers really appreciate the fact that I am always placing new caches for them to compete to be FTF on.

Local cachers with kids know my caches will be loaded with kid swag and they appreciate it. I just don' t see any local adult cachers that are hung up on swag. I'm sure some are and I think those are the ones who take all the good stuff and leave a load of trash behind.

My mountain top caches tend to have a more adult theme but I still don't load them with expensive swag.

Sure, but I've got over 100 high quality hides and I'm not about to play Santa Clause for every geocaching adult in the region. Cache swag always degrades over time. No one complains to me about the fact that I only put toys in my lowland hides. Local cachers really appreciate the fact that I am always placing new caches for them to compete to be FTF on.

Local cachers with kids know my caches will be loaded with kid swag and they appreciate it. I just don' t see any local adult cachers that are hung up on swag. I'm sure some are and I think those are the ones who take all the good stuff and leave a load of trash behind.

My mountain top caches tend to have a more adult theme but I still don't load them with expensive swag.

This is why I keep saying maybe it's my area. Hey do what you want. It's just the line of reasoning you gave seemed odd to me. Personally, I am new to this and I hate when so many people complain about something so fun to me. Of course there are so many variables. I like the idea of theme caches. Seems a good solution for the treasure hunters/givers.

By the by, do people make complaints to specific cachers about what they leave and take? I haven't seen this. Maybe this is all a case of maybe the complainers should ask people who left the specific things why they left them?

By the by, do people make complaints to specific cachers about what they leave and take? I haven't seen this. Maybe this is all a case of maybe the complainers should ask people who left the specific things why they left them?

The problem that I've seen is that those that take swag and leave decent swag note it in the logs and on the geocaching.com site. Those that take swag and leave junk don't. Go figure.

As for the previous poster; I don't have any issues with a cache being filled with kids items. I take my kids so that's what they want to find. However, I don't think a cache geared towards kids means it has to be filled with junk. Why has it become acceptable that a cache's swag is going to deteriorate over time?

Swag should have some degree of quality... regardless of it's age appropriateness. (I believe the dictionary is clear in how it defines crap) :unsure:

As for the original OP, I agree. I like to find cool things. I don't expect it in every cache I find, but it's still neat to find something different... something I wouldn't buy in a store, but still something that I look and think, WOW, I'd like that. I hope that the items I leave do the same for someone following me.

Oh well, and I was hoping to trade my lawn mower for a Camaro while caching tomorrow. :unsure:

No kidding. Some people can trade paper clips for just about anything.

exactly! I found someone that started trading with a paper clip and 10 years later ended up with a house! :anibad:

to be fair it was a giant paper clip.

paperclip for house was oneredpaperclip.com :unsure: Interesting adventure for the guy.

I actually am a bit offended at the thought that "cachers with children" ruin the caches with crap. Just because I cache with my kids does not mean we leave "crap" behind. My children and I hide all our "regular" sized caches. We have only 3 hides, 2 they were included in. They helped make the containers and they helped pick the items out. I'm not sure, but I'd say 4 brand new DvDs, new batteries, some rules and pencils aren't "crap".

What I'm sure you, hater of family cachers, meant to say is that caches that are easier to find tend to have more crap as swag is because of the sheer volume of people that find them.

For example, you have 100 cachers of all ages, with and without children. 5 cache coords are given to them. 1 Cache is hidden at the top of a huge hill next to a large embankment on not so stury rocks. Of those 100 cachers, how many do you think will go for the 4 easy ones before attempting the 5th? How many would even attempt the 5th?

So... for the person blaming "family cachers" for crapping up the caches - go look for the caches on the cliff and leave the easier finds for us with children and those who may not be young enough or healthy enough to climb up there.

Its not the "who" finds them.. its how many.

If they don't, I'm won't allow the log. I hate to do it, but I think it's the only way.

OOOOO....what a great idea....sounds like fun!!

Seriously though, do you want to go through all of the trouble of being cache warden because you want to have a cache with cool swag? Something tells me the whole idea isn't going to work as planned. But, I have been wrong....so please let use know how it goes.

You might want to think about making it a members only cache, or a cache that is harder to get to. That might also increase your chances of success.

Can someone give concrete examples of not-terribly-expensive trade items that are still acceptable? We cache with three kids who are old enough to want to trade, go out pretty frequently, and of course everybody's got to trade something, so as much as I'd love to carry around masses of $5 items it just isn't practical.

We're very new; so far we've left behind carabiners, earrings, pocket calculator, collector keychain, etc. I did a lot of reading before we started geocaching, so we always trade even or trade up. But we are just about out of stuff "around the house" that was in excellent condition and ready to move on, so we will now be buying items. Here's what I was considering; are these what would be considered acceptable/good trade?

- pocket tape measure

- small flashlight

- pack of $1 batteries (is it OK that they're cheap? Or because they're not brand-name would they be rejected?)

- kennel leads (soft webbing collar/leash)

- band-aid kits (5 band-aids and a packet of antibiotic ointment)

- carabiners (or are these so common that they're basically useless?)

Are paperback books really OK? Even "trashy novels"? What about kids' books? (All in good/excellent condition, of course)

Are there pen brands/types that are valued trade items? It seems like every cache has pens in the bottom, slowly degrading into goo. What kind will actually be taken and used?

How about dollar tools? I see little chuck keys, bit sets, etc. all the time, but I feel like cheap tools may be worse than none at all. After all, the point is to have the items leave the cache quickly, and not sit and rust.

Would small packets of baby wipes (the good thick kind) be useful?

And, since all of the above are "adult," what toys are hot and popular? My kids are so thrilled by the whole thing that they're taking year-old broken toys and freaking out with joy. Obviously, we need to place better ones than that. So what Oriental Trading-type stuff is going to leave a cache fast?

Thanks so much for reading a long post! Hopefully we'll put in swag that impresses and doesn't depress. :blink:

Edited by thekimballs

I usually go out with my daughters. They do not trade every time we find a cache. We will sometimes take a TB without leaving something, but isn't the goal of a TB to travel. If we do take something we will leave something. My youngest daughter likes to collect little erasers. They also understand and kow that we don't have to take something from every cache. They enjoy the hunt.

The other day I found a condom in a cache. I do not believe that to be appropriate swag , so i took it and disposed of it. I do not think this is the type of adult stuff we want in our caches. If we do come across something that is really nice, and we do not have anything that is of similar value, we will not take it. We have gone back to a cache to trade out a nice item for a nice item.

As someone else stated, this is a family game. We shouldn't be so concerned about what is in the caches we find. What is more important to me is the quality time that I am spending with my 9 and 11 yo daughters. These are memories that we will never forget. One day they are not going to want to hang with their dad, so I am enjoying the hikes, new places, and just plain old fun with my girls.

And, since all of the above are "adult," what toys are hot and popular? My kids are so thrilled by the whole thing that they're taking year-old broken toys and freaking out with joy. Obviously, we need to place better ones than that. So what Oriental Trading-type stuff is going to leave a cache fast?

Finger traps and punching balls are cheap and tend to go fast. Something that's even cheaper and cooler (IMO) are keychains made out of empty chip bags. Did you know that if you put them in the oven (after cleaning, of course) they shrivel up like shrinky-dinks? The end result is a legible, wrinkly piece of plastic about one by two inches that you can drill a hole in fairly easily. So awesome!

Edited by miles_vagar

I usually go out with my daughters. They do not trade every time we find a cache. We will sometimes take a TB without leaving something, but isn't the goal of a TB to travel. If we do take something we will leave something. My youngest daughter likes to collect little erasers. They also understand and kow that we don't have to take something from every cache. They enjoy the hunt.

The other day I found a condom in a cache. I do not believe that to be appropriate swag , so i took it and disposed of it. I do not think this is the type of adult stuff we want in our caches. If we do come across something that is really nice, and we do not have anything that is of similar value, we will not take it. We have gone back to a cache to trade out a nice item for a nice item.

As someone else stated, this is a family game. We shouldn't be so concerned about what is in the caches we find. What is more important to me is the quality time that I am spending with my 9 and 11 yo daughters. These are memories that we will never forget. One day they are not going to want to hang with their dad, so I am enjoying the hikes, new places, and just plain old fun with my girls.

small puzzles. Those chinese metal wire puzzles are cool. Or small games. Look at your local department store for clearance items (wal mart and meijers). Big lots has a ton of cheap stuff. The thing with books, i would think, is good books. Key chains are always cool in my book (unless their of the hello kitty variety, just a personal thing there).

Condoms are never a good idea. I mean who in their right mind would even use one from a cache? People could poke holes in them. Why would anyone do that?

I think a thread on cool but cheaper items should be made for ideas on what most people enjoy and what they don't.

This bag before you is a reflection of how you've been playing the game up until now. Let's call it your Geo-report Card. Some questions as you peer into the bag:

1. Are you carrying something that would be fun for -all- ages that might find them? If you find a cache with all kids stuff in it, do you have something an adult would like to find that you can leave?

2. How will your swag hold up to the elements if they don't get taken right away? Did you bring a plastic bag to protect them?

3. Is there anything unique and special about these items that would make -you- smile if -you found them?

4. Would another cacher look at these items and be motivated to "do better" with their own trade items?

I'll leave you with one golden rule that if practiced by everyone, you wouldn't be posting something like this. When you find a cache, ask yourself a question. "What does this cache need and how can we leave it better than when we found it?" If the trading items are sparse, put a few of your better items in there. If it is dirty, bust out your caching cleaning kit. If the container needs repair, what do you have with you to weatherproof it or repair it?

This bit of wisdom really caught my eye. (I did grab my bag and went through it to see how I fared. I think I did pretty well, actually, although I do see a need to add a few more maintanence items to what I carry). What I appreciate here is the fact that I haven't thought hard enough about this before, or at least not often enough. Running through this little set of questions is something that many would benefit from. I know I did. Thanks for the reminder that this hobby is basically what we make it, and with a little thought now and again we can all do our part to make it better and more enjoyable for our fellow cachers.

Edited by Photographer Jim

So tell us, just how ADULT do you want the stuff to be? :huh:

there was a (in package) condom in one of the caches I found. I mentioned when I logged the find in case the cache owner wanted to make the contents "G" rated. I don't expect to find good trading stuff but I tend to cache with children and they go NUTS for the toys! I carry a few good items with me in case I find something worthwhile and I can do an equal trade.

... As far as adult trade items, I do not want to see anything X rated. I personaly leave things such as compass, waterproof matches, whistle, signal mirror, things you may use camping, hiking or geocaching. Etc....
I know that post was made in 2006, but I thought I'd mention that matches, waterproof or not, are specifically prohibited in the guidelines. Also, a metal signal mirror is great; a glass signal mirror is also great, until it breaks.
I hate to find caches with candles in the summer. They melt all over everything, and the smell is quite overpowering. But that's only until a friendly animal destroys the cache trying to get inside that awesome food-smelling thingie.

Personally, I rarely trade. I carry a few lightweight and cheap-yet-useful items (disposable ponchos, insect-repellant wipes, plastic bags with bio-degradable camper's toilet paper, etc.) that I can leave as swag in an extra-nice cache, or trade if my 3-yr-old just HAS to have that ball, or use if I have personal need while on the trail.

... As far as adult trade items, I do not want to see anything X rated. I personaly leave things such as compass, waterproof matches, whistle, signal mirror, things you may use camping, hiking or geocaching. Etc....
I know that post was made in 2006, but I thought I'd mention that matches, waterproof or not, are specifically prohibited in the guidelines. Also, a metal signal mirror is great; a glass signal mirror is also great, until it breaks.
I hate to find caches with candles in the summer. They melt all over everything, and the smell is quite overpowering. But that's only until a friendly animal destroys the cache trying to get inside that awesome food-smelling thingie.

Personally, I rarely trade. I carry a few lightweight and cheap-yet-useful items (disposable ponchos, insect-repellant wipes, plastic bags with bio-degradable camper's toilet paper, etc.) that I can leave as swag in an extra-nice cache, or trade if my 3-yr-old just HAS to have that ball, or use if I have personal need while on the trail.

[seriously though, do you want to go through all of the trouble of being cache warden because you want to have a cache with cool swag? Something tells me the whole idea isn't going to work as planned.

Do I want to act like a cache warden? Absolutly not! Do I wish people could follow the simple motto of trade up, trade even, or don't trade? I sure do! Does it happen... NOPE.

I don't believe there is one target group that causes the problem... Members are just as guilty as non-members.

I'm not sure if my plan will work... I'll post in a year and let you know... I think it's easy to monitor that a "finder" can only log a find if you advise what you've left as swag. If somone thinks a dirty toy is valuable... tell us why and ithe find counts.

We cache with our 9 year old and always trade up. We have fun reading post when others find the nice items we leave. For myself I enjoy finding signature items and have a jar that I save those in. Those items you can't buy for yourself and to me are collectable. I really wish more cachers would take the time to make nice signature items (not just printed business cards).

I dunno --

What I get out of this thread is that the OP won't trade (or even leave a little something) unless there is something cool he/she can take -- AND the OP doesn't want to bother with TBs or GCs at all. Bummer...

We don't have small children and we don't trade swag -- but we DO leave a NEW toy or gift in every regular sized cache we find. While we sometimes leave small first aid kits, packs of tissues, and hand sanitizer, the majority of our leavings are kid friendly toys like silly putty, glow sticks, magic towels, light up astro-balls, hot wheels, hair clips, etc. We've always felt that swag items ARE FOR KIDS and therefore we try to leave something decent that will bring a smile to a little one's face. If the cache is in desperate need we have been known to leave 2 - 3 items, just to make sure there is something in it for the next family.

We rarely take anything, and by rarely I mean like maybe one item out of 100 caches. We have plenty of that stuff at home already, and if we feel we must have something we will simply go to the store and buy it.

We also move or discover every trackable item we come across. JMHO, but I thought that was how the game was supposed to be played.

I guess we're just more into giving than taking.

Happy Caching!

A few ideas for grown up items in caches:

I've seen caches near motorways and major roads that are music cassette and CD exchanges, if you do alot of driving and are bored with the music you have in your car, you can exchange a tape or CD for one another cacher has left. If I'd certainly appreciate some good music in a cache.

I saw a listing for a D.I.Y/home improvement cache which contained packs of bolts and washers and small tools (no knives or anything sharp). There are alot of inexpensive items that home improvement enthusiasts or home mechanics would appreciate, as has been mentioned before, tools, tape measures etc. One cacher local to me leaves vinyl gloves in caches, useful for taking muddy boots off afterwards, or for working on your car/truck/bicycle etc.

Things that come in useful on the trail or when travelling, waterproof ponchos, torch or GPS batteries, car fuses, bicycle puncture repair kit. Anything that you'd appreciate finding if you really needed it but didn't bring it with you!

If a cache is placed in a wilderness area how about putting some survival whistles in there? Everyone should carry one with them when going out walking away from civilisation. It's something that could save someones life and only costs a couple of pounds/dollars.