Please More Adult Items In Cache

I have been caching for several months now. I love this sport but one thing that is frustrating me is, I am buying trade items to replace for what I take out, And all that I am finding in these cache's are toys for my child. Isn't this an adult sport? I do not mind an occasional toy, (it helps to keep the children motivated, but hey I need some motivation too after trekking for an hour to find these cache's.) If I didn't want a trade item then I would have looked for a micro. Also remember when you go out and check on your cache's to take with you, some new trade items. There are items in there that no-one would want. Old rusty keychains, pens that have leaked, etc... Sorry for the grip, I will still be out there caching. See you on the trail.

You're gonna hit a lot of kiddy caches. If you want to trade better quality stuff then maybe you should get a membership and go after members only caches. We have a problem in our area with an unfair trader. I've personally put in over $100 into my caches and now I'm lucky if I have $20 worth. One of our local "geopirates" is well known for taking geocoins and travel bugs and leaving a lolipop or a quarter as a "fair" trade?!? This gets frustrating and expensive. This very well maybe why no one puts decent trade items in their caches. This same person followed a geocacher around from cache to cache and collected all of the geocachers personal geocoins. He then traded them in geocoin forums for other coins that he wanted. As far as I'm concerned this is unacceptable but how do you stop it? I think we should have ways of banning certain people from geocaching when they are being unfair to everyone else. He frequently uses quarters as trade items and in one of my caches stated that he left a quarter but never left anything?!? Often times people don't expect to find good trade items so all they bring is burger king toys and key chains. When they do encounter a decent cache then they end up trading down. What's left after a few months or a few years is a bunch of swag items that no one wants so they just TNLNSL and leave. This is however a hobby and a favorite past time and not meant to be profitable. If you're looking to make money in geocaching then sell micro's and ammo boxes. If you're looking for better trade items then keep looking. They're out there and they are usually the new ones. I know this doesn't really help but it may explain why these caches start getting thinner. Swizzle

B) Geocoins seem to be the main adult item. I don't worry what is in a cache and put better items in better caches. But as others have said trade even, trade up, or don't trade. Seems to work well for me and most of the members of our local group of cachers. So far I have registered 89 trackers about 65 are out and moving around.. :)

I have been caching for several months now. I love this sport but one thing that is frustrating me is, I am buying trade items to replace for what I take out, And all that I am finding in these cache's are toys for my child. Isn't this an adult sport? I do not mind an occasional toy, (it helps to keep the children motivated, but hey I need some motivation too after trekking for an hour to find these cache's.) If I didn't want a trade item then I would have looked for a micro. Also remember when you go out and check on your cache's to take with you, some new trade items. There are items in there that no-one would want. Old rusty keychains, pens that have leaked, etc... Sorry for the grip, I will still be out there caching. See you on the trail.

So tell us, just how ADULT do you want the stuff to be? :)

Edited by TheManInStripes

I thought kids were the only ones who really cared what were in the caches.

Me too. I don't understand the problem. If an adult wants a memento of a particular cache, the kiddy stuff should suffice for a souvenir. If they're looking for things they want or need, stores are a better source than geocaches.

What's been said before on swag quality remains true--the more accessible and popular a cache is, the more likely it is to contain junk. Take a long hike if you want to see junk-free, well-maintained caches. Or maybe it's just that the hike is a transformative experience that makes you stop worrying about the baubles...

If your goal is to find caches with great trade items, you're going to experience burn out. Even the remote cache I have found had mostly trinkets or typical geoswag that I had no interest in.

For me, half the treasure is the hunt, and the other half is the find. The experiences I have had while finding milestone caches (every 100) were worth far more than all the trade items combined. On my 900th find, the trade items were uninteresting to me, the adventure getting there was priceless.

Find them for fun, not for the trade items.

Edited by Kit Fox

I am currently waiting on my premium membership to go through. As far as adult trade items, I do not want to see anything X rated. I personaly leave things such as compass, waterproof matches, whistle, signal mirror, things you may use camping, hiking or geocaching. Etc.... If there was trade items in the cache that were adult oriented, I may choose to trade something. Lately I haven't left anything because there isn't anything to take, except kids toys. Again this is great for when my daughter tages along. I am not up for the hassle of TB"s and coins. I LOVE THIS SPORT, and I am not doing this for the PRIZE. I would like to get at least something every blue moon. Some things I have gotten, mini radio, 5-1 survival kit, necklace-hand made. Hey put some pics in there of the area. Anything except for the plastic snakes and frogs. I am still finding these things in my car. Not every cache is bad, the experience is great, and I am exercising. Just would like to see myself pick up something that was neat to own.

My caches are pretty kid-centric; partly because I have a kid, and partly because it's a lot easier to find cool dollar store items for kids than it is to find cool dollar store items for adults. Sure, I could get little screwdriver kits, but if you really need screwdrivers, do you really want a cheapo dollar store set?

I did have a lot of geocaching buttons from bumblebuttons, and they were popular.

I was recently engaged in an email exchange with a cacher who complained about one of my caches being mistakenly listed as a "Regular" instead of "Small" after I replaced a stolen ammo can. They logged, "Thought this one was a regular cache, not a micro. Hate the micros. They take all the fun out of caching for the kids."

I replied with an apology for my oversight, to which they replied with something to the effect of "...it's my understanding that the reason people geocache is for the trade items..." I thought they had to be newbies, but their geobirth was over 3 years ago!

Out of nearly 750 caches found, I can count on one hand the number of trade items I have found that we more memorable than the huntung and finding of the caches I found them in.

For some of us, it really is all about the hunt and not about trade items. What's not to like about hunting for a cache like this?

I was recently engaged in an email exchange with a cacher who complained about one of my caches being mistakenly listed as a "Regular" instead of "Small" after I replaced a stolen ammo can. They logged, "Thought this one was a regular cache, not a micro. Hate the micros. They take all the fun out of caching for the kids."

For some of us, it really is all about the hunt and not about trade items. What's not to like about hunting for a cache like this?

News flash, I think it is about the hunt for the kids, too. Parents are projecting on them the notion that you have to bribe them to get them out there, and that you have somehow hurt their child if your stash items are unworthy.

Edited by Kacky

Whew- no thread is complete without someone complaining about all those awful parents out there. Glad this one didn't miss out.

I think I have only taken one thing for myself out of a cache. I will pick up a TB if I see one. I take my kids along usually and they love finding the trade items. We have never found anything neat though. I leave mostly kid items too. I do have some GEO decals that I leave, and I have left batteries, fishing tackle, etc. but mostly kid items because kids don't usually enjoy the hunt. I have to drag mine with me and they get really disappointed when there is nothing in there for them. I would like to find more personalized items in caches, though. The one that I found was a magnet. I enjoyed finding that one.

...and many parents are aware of the negative aspects of materialism, and do everything we can think of to take the focus off of things and onto experiences and lessons that will have a positive impact on their kids. I'm not saying parents who emphasize trinket trading to get their kids into geocaching are evil spawns of the devil; just that some parents strive for other priorities.

I didn't even need to read the replies to your post to know that you were going to get some heat for this one. I'm not going to pile on with the others about your motivations for Geocaching and so on. I'll just make this one comment about walking your own talk. Each time you find a cache you are faced with a personal choice and what you do next is 99% goes unsupervised. This a classic moment of being alone with your own conscious.

Why not take some action of your own at this moment? Seems like you are no different that most in that there's been some disappointment at this moment of opening the cache container that you just found. Why not "walk the talk" and let this influence what you carry in -your own- swag bag and what you do after opening the lid? Go ahead, take a look at what YOU carry. I'll wait right here until you get back. This bag before you is a reflection of how you've been playing the game up until now. Let's call it your Geo-report Card. Some questions as you peer into the bag:

1. Are you carrying something that would be fun for -all- ages that might find them? If you find a cache with all kids stuff in it, do you have something an adult would like to find that you can leave?

2. How will your swag hold up to the elements if they don't get taken right away? Did you bring a plastic bag to protect them?

3. Is there anything unique and special about these items that would make -you- smile if -you found them?

4. Would another cacher look at these items and be motivated to "do better" with their own trade items?

I'll leave you with one golden rule that if practiced by everyone, you wouldn't be posting something like this. When you find a cache, ask yourself a question. "What does this cache need and how can we leave it better than when we found it?" If the trading items are sparse, put a few of your better items in there. If it is dirty, bust out your caching cleaning kit. If the container needs repair, what do you have with you to weatherproof it or repair it?

You've got over 700 finds... how can YOU make the next 700 -better-? You'll never change anything whining in a an Internet forum, the best you can hope for is to get someone to whine along with you. Set an example and walk the talk at YOUR next find...

...and some of us just enjoy the hunt and the thrill of the find, and don't burden ourselves with carrying trinkets into and out of the woods and stressing over our efforts to trade "evenly," not to mention what the next cacher might think of the McToy we placed in the cache...! ;)

Wow, I guess there is a significant number of cachers who take the aspect of trinket-trading a lot farther than I imagined...

Edited by Pablo Mac

I had the same problem with my cache. I started off with really useful items like batteries, a first aid kit, poncohos, bug spray and other camping/hiking/caching type stuff. I also had some postcards in there for tourists. One geopirate came and took both packs of batteries, the bug spray and one other thing I can't recall. They put in a handfull of iron ore pellets (from the train tracks 1km away) and some mardi gras beads. The pellets made everything a mess and now my cache has nothing decent left in it.

Oh well. I'll reload it sometime.

Robert

I can see wanting to find the super cool item once in a while but to expect it out of every cache would burn anyone out very quickly. I love seeing the personalized items myself. I have 2 wooden nickles from a local cacher that I really like. I have personalized items in some of my caches as well. My wife works in a place that personalizes items and we take full advantage of excess stock that she gets. If she has an order to fill for 100 pens and they give her 105 then she'll personalize 5 for our caches. We have pens, bottle openers, mini mirrors, carbiners and such that has www.geocaching.com and Swizzle and family on them. I'm lucky to be able to get items like this for our caches but not everyone gets these items for free. I do hate putting good money in a cool cache and checking on it in 2 months to find burger king toys and busted keychains. when I see those items I generally leave them unless it is in danger of making a mess in my cache. If that's what people trade then let them trade it. I'll just keep checking once in a while and throw in some more pens or carbiners. I do have plans for a fishermans cache which (hopefully) will have regular non trade items; filet knife, rod tip repair kit, bug spray, poncho and camera. Then some other trade items as well. I'm hoping for a lure trader cache. Place it next to a backwoods lake and bring something fishing related to trade. I have 2 seperate log books, 1 for geocaching and 1 for fishing tips, tricks, adventures and catches ect... No guarentees that the whole box won't come up missing but hopefully it will remain for several years. If this is a decent cache then I will set up other caches like this at other lakes in the future. Maybe more elaborate and better quality lures. I have close to $30 in this cache so far and once its placed I hope to be able to use it myself in the future. Maybe even add a telescopic rod and reel. I will specify that this is not for trading toys and trinkets and explain what it is for. That would be really wonderfully to plan a whole trip for a weekend and find out all you have for bait is the latest BK toy or a mini deck of playing cards. I might try turning a TB into a lure if that happens. lol. This won't be for just anyone who wants to boost their numbers or trade TB's and geocoins. Some of these caches will be 3 to 5+ miles back in the woods. Hopefully the distance will keep these in decent shape for a long period of time. I don't expect them to get 500 people a year visiting it, but just enough to keep it alive and keep it interesting. What were we talking about again?!? O.K. sorry, I'm babbling again, Swizzle

List of the dumbest things I have found in caches:

1. Band-Aid.

Come on! Who puts a band-aid in a cache? It was only ONE band-aid, and it wasn't even in a plastick bag.

2. Rock.

It was in a cache on top of a mountain. You couldn't see anything but rock. It looked like someone liked something in the cach, and didn't have anything to trade for. So they picked up a rock on the ground.

3. Dead batteries.

Wierd.

It seems that you can't find a cache now that isn't overflowing with McToys. I don't want any of that junk, and I am a kid.

I would be surprised, frankly, if any child finds a cache and then their joy turns to disappointment because the swag is lame. I could picture it maybe if it's a preschooler and it's past naptime, or maybe a youngster with poor coping skills who tends to melt down at times like this anyway, but really I think the kid problem is overstated.

Just editing to add that I saw the most excellent suggestion in another post, from a mom who lets the kids choose something from the swag bag if they don't like what's in the cache. But even if you couldn't do that, I don't think they'd care.

I could be wrong. I only had one kid and he's all grown up now. And he only likes virtuals.

Edited by Kacky

Today went out with my husband and daughter, we ended up caching most of the afternoon. 4 caches later, 2 micros and 2 ammo cans, we did not trade anything. My daughter actually said today, I already have one of those. I explained to her that we were signing the log book, we don't have to take something everytime. . She wanted to sign her name also. I agree/disagree with the post I have read. To answer team geoblast 1st question. In my trade bag, I have batteries, compass, binoculars, and a few kid toys, in case my daughter wants to trade for something. 1 ammo can today the contents were, log book, 6 pens, cassette tape of gospel music, some religious handouts, business cards, 5 plastic bugs, childs telescope, and a film can with cito bags. This container looked like every other cache we have found. If I did not love the sport and all I was after was the trade items then why would I spend the time logging 99 finds? 35 of them not in my home area. Currently I have hidden 2 regular size caches, 3 micros and 1 multi waiting to be approved. In my caches I have things that every age group could choose from. Yes I have left trade items in caches when there wasn't anything to choose from. I did not include in the log that the cache contents sucked, I chose to include these items because I wanted the next person to recieve something that they might like, IF they choose to trade for something. There are times when my daughter is out caching with us and she has gotten tired from walking, I have said to her, hey when we find the treasure you can pick something. I agree that their should be toys in the cache.

Also I have replaced wet logs, missing logs, broke magnetic keyholders, from my own stash as well as taken out of service and sending back to the original owners, TB's that have rusted inside ammo cans.

I feel I am a good deed do'er. I am not a selfish person. I love this sport. I wish once in a blue moon I could let the child out and jump for joy that there was something in there for me.

Lots of good (and diverse) opinions. Just like caches/cachers really. I am a lot less troubled by cache degradation because of my location, and the limited number of finders, but concur with many of the comments made. When I place a cache, I try to put in a range of good quality gear for different genders and age ranges. When hunting, it is a bit more difficult. If alone, I don't swap much, but try to exchange like for like. With my great nieces and nephews, I try to ensure we have with us a range of things which they value themselves, so there is awareness of value given and received. As one writer noted above, it is also a good idea to have some items in your own bag, that younger caches mght like if they hit a run of outs. I am just in the process of placing three caches near my local town very creatively called; "Boys only", "Girls only," and "Adults only". The first two are self explanatory, with an admittedly sexist, stereotypical selection of contents. The last will have an explanation on the cache page to explain that this cache does not have the normal swaps for kids, but neither are the contents A.O. rated.

Edited by Mr Walker

I tend to not trade anything when I find a cache, I will move travel bugs from time to time I have put things in a cache on many (but not all) occasions.

I try to keep my fanny pack in the truck with a few trade items in it. However it is mostly pens, extra logbooks, zip lock bags. Stuff to do a bit of upkeep when needed.

For me I enjoy the hunt more than anything else. If my enjoyment was based on what there is to trade, I might have given up after a few finds.

I think that the trading of things is a key part of geocaching, but for most it is not the most important thing.

Jim

Kc8bdr

Whew- no thread is complete without someone complaining about all those awful parents out there. Glad this one didn't miss out.

I think I have only taken one thing for myself out of a cache. I will pick up a TB if I see one. I take my kids along usually and they love finding the trade items. We have never found anything neat though. I leave mostly kid items too. I do have some GEO decals that I leave, and I have left batteries, fishing tackle, etc. but mostly kid items because kids don't usually enjoy the hunt. I have to drag mine with me and they get really disappointed when there is nothing in there for them. I would like to find more personalized items in caches, though. The one that I found was a magnet. I enjoyed finding that one.

"kids dont enjoy the hunt", "i have to drag mine with me"

if i may be so bold as to ask...if this is true, why do you even take your kids?

I should have taken a picture of the contents of my last hide. I left a large mag light, a large hand tool, several hard back books, hand made key rings and some other stuff. I then filled the open space with the common plastic critters and a couple of stuffed bears.

I tend to grab things from around the house that no longer have a place - no it's not trash or junk just something that is taking up space that I have not touched for some time, so it's time to share with someone else.

I do not look for a regular cache expecting to find anything (for trade) other than a TB, coin or a really cool personal item - other than that it's just a big micro for me.

I'm new to Geocaching and just perusing the forums to get a feel for things. I don't know if it even makes sense to post a reply here as all of the posts are so old. I figure there's no harm in it as someone else might come across it just as I did.

I was looking for posts regarding cache stash items. I've been reading a lot of different opinions about them. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the geocache stash cards I saw advertised on geocaching.com. It seems like a good alternative, not really expensive and a cool stash item. I like the fact that you can personalize them. I think geocaching is an awesome activity and want to leave something decent.

So tell us, just how ADULT do you want the stuff to be? :laughing:

not Mcdonalds toys and cheap keychains

I mostly trade toys because I have kids who like to trade for other toys.

But in honor of the original post, I just went online and mail ordered a bunch of swag that should be enjoyable for all ages (stuff like lapel pins, mini-flashlights, buttons, etc...). While I feel it's the hunt and the find that is what makes geocaching enjoyable (and luckily my kids do agree), I do admit joy in finding things in there that I would want, like a humorous button, a mini-sewing kit or keychain flashlight.

List of the dumbest things I have found in caches:

1. Band-Aid.

Come on! Who puts a band-aid in a cache? It was only ONE band-aid, and it wasn't even in a plastick bag.

2. Rock.

It was in a cache on top of a mountain. You couldn't see anything but rock. It looked like someone liked something in the cach, and didn't have anything to trade for. So they picked up a rock on the ground.

3. Dead batteries.

Wierd.

It seems that you can't find a cache now that isn't overflowing with McToys. I don't want any of that junk, and I am a kid.

On the batteries thing... I leave brand new batteries from time to time, as a karma nod to the time I was out in the stix and my batteries died and ended my day. I wonder then, are you finding batteries that had been traded dead for new (in wich case, just take the good batteries, say thanks, and take your dead ones with you) or perhaps AA batteries do in fact die over time even when not used out in a cache...

I actually got addicted to this because of the hunt and not the actual treasure but I gotta say, the treasure may as well be garbage bags filled with garbage in this area. Heck I got a ton of vending machine toys (themed as my signature) because I thought the point was exchanging cheap stuff. I got the coolest cheap stuff I could. However, as I got onto more and more caching I realized "wow, this is all just a bunch of accumulating garbage!". Granted I run across a few things I consider cool (like a japanese finger trap, the only item I took from a cache aside from a couple tracking coins) but it's been rare.

To take it a step further though there should be a thread to suggest what to put in. Geocoins for keep is one I haven't seen and think would be cool. Money is always nice. There are affordable cool things out there. I will be leaving a series of casts of sculptures I am doing specifically for this. Pricey for me but maybe some art enthusiasts will enjoy them. Contemplating adding lights and magnets to them as well. Compasses are always neat. Memory sticks are useful and cheap (6 bucks for a 64 mb one at walgreens). 5 dollar dvds at wal mart (they have some good movies there!) or Circuit city. blank, sealed dvds or cd -rs are cheap at Big lots. Heck Big lots has a lot of cheap goodies. For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey. Tools like pressure guages, wrenches and tape measures are always appreciated.

Thing is if your going to take something make sure your leaving something in equal or greater value as I believe that will up the ante on the prizes. Like I said, I do it for the hunt but I can see the frustration here. Personally, I enjoy finding creative things (I love seeing the skeletons and soldiers but just to see them , not take...they guard our caches).

So maybe, there should be a thread started about cache treasure ideas for those who want to actually trade goods. Maybe other areas are better then my area and this was all for naught. Just my two cents.

edit: another idea I had rolling around in my head for a while. Having Geocache theme months. Where what you leave should fit a theme for the month. Such as Janurary:animals. Leave a movie about animals, a stuffed toy, an animal print note book. Just an idea with no real weight behind it at this point.

Edited by fishdirt
For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey. Tools like pressure guages, wrenches and tape measures are always appreciated.

As a geocaching woman who hikes through mud, thrashes through thorns and climbs cliffs for fun when I'm not geocaching, I don't think smelly candles are the kind of thing I'd be looking to take from a geocache! :laughing:

However, I would appreciate a tape measure, they always come in useful! :)

p.s. smelly candles make me sneeze. :)

"kids dont enjoy the hunt", "i have to drag mine with me"

if i may be so bold as to ask...if this is true, why do you even take your kids?

Oh, I missed that. Good point Nami

Yeah it's far better to leave the kids in the car.. sigh Not all parents can get time away from their kids. There are a lot of things that kids don't like to do, you can not let your kids run your entire life.

I pretty much only put toys in my hides. I figure if adults want stuff they can go buy it. I don't trade swag unless I am with my kids. My kids love to trade swag and my oldest one is much more motivated to go caching if they think there will be good swag. For my youngest I sometimes bring swag and pretend it came from the cache we just found.

Edited by luckykoi
For the women, smelly candles such as glade aren't pricey. Tools like pressure guages, wrenches and tape measures are always appreciated.

As a geocaching woman who hikes through mud, thrashes through thorns and climbs cliffs for fun when I'm not geocaching, I don't think smelly candles are the kind of thing I'd be looking to take from a geocache! :laughing:

However, I would appreciate a tape measure, they always come in useful! :)

p.s. smelly candles make me sneeze. :)

Heh. I knew that'd get a response but I think you see what I mean. I am a man who likes fruity smelling candles (berries and apples). Flowery scents make me get a headache.

I pretty much only put toys in my hides. I figure if adults want stuff they can go buy it. I don't trade swag unless I am with my kids. My kids love to trade swag and my oldest one is much more motivated to go caching if they think there will be good swag. For my youngest I sometimes bring swag and pretend it came from the cache we just found.

You must not give good birthday or Christmas gifts eh? It's not a matter of what people want but what people don't realize they would like until they see it and go "Oh Cool". Logically you shouldn't even leave kids toys as their folks could probably afford them.

I'm kinda curious now. I love the hunt. I see others love the hunt. Some are treasure seekers. So how and when did geocaching begin? (Please no "well you see, sailors and pirates were using longitude and latitude coordinates as early as 200 b.c. near ancient symiria" answers). I mean, was it a hi tech treasure hunt or was it just a "Tag, I found the mark" type deal?