Broken Pin

Thrak

One of the pins on my brand new 76CSx is broken. I went to plug in the external power cable and noticed that one of the pins was slightly bent. I figured it was no big deal and tried to gently straighten the pin. SNAP! I couldn't believe it. The pin just snapped right off at the base. I plugged in the cable and it seems to function fine that way. I don't know the pinout for the cable but I guess that only two of the pins are for power. How are the other pins used? Is there some method of data transfer with the external power cable or what?

I'd send the unit in for repair but I had just put on a new invisibleShield and would have to get a replacement (they have started charging $2.98 shipping for the "free" replacement which could be sent with a regular postage stamp) and I would, of course, be stuck without my GPSr for a couple of weeks.

Am I damaging anything running it with the pin snapped off? I really doubt it but..........

If you are still getting power from your external power supply then the pin you broke is one of the serial communication pins. If you are using the USB port for communication there should no need to worry about the broken pin.

I have never seen one but apparently you can get a serial cable that plugs into the same port as the power plug.

If you are still getting power from your external power supply then the pin you broke is one of the serial communication pins. If you are using the USB port for communication there should no need to worry about the broken pin.

I have never seen one but apparently you can get a serial cable that plugs into the same port as the power plug.

I was wondering if that was what the other pins were for. I've never seen such a cable either - I use the USB port. Perhaps I'll just use it this way for now and get it repaired/replaced when my year of warranty is almost up. :sad:

The serial out on the GPS is sometimes needed for devices that cant use the USB. The serial out on the back of the garmin is the standard NEMA? protocal that works with fishfinders and other equipment that needs it.

I was wondering if that was what the other pins were for. I've never seen such a cable either - I use the USB port. Perhaps I'll just use it this way for now and get it repaired/replaced when my year of warranty is almost up. :sad:

I'd send the unit in for repair but I had just put on a new invisibleShield and would have to get a replacement (they have started charging $2.98 shipping for the "free" replacement which could be sent with a regular postage stamp) and I would, of course, be stuck without my GPSr for a couple of weeks.

In June when I had to get a "free" replacement for my invisibleShield, the replacement was in a blister pack that included a piece of thick flat plastic (for using as a squeegee), a spray bottle of application solution (water?), and the shield film itself. The blister pack shipped in a padded envelope. Not like when I got my original shield in a regular #10 envelope.

These cables have been around for years. The MAP60 series uses the same power and serial cables as the old GPSII and GPSIII series units. When I got my 60CSx, and called Garmin and asked if my GPSII+ power cable was compatible. They said both units use the same cables for power and serial comms. Saved me a few bucks.

In June when I had to get a "free" replacement for my invisibleShield, the replacement was in a blister pack that included a piece of thick flat plastic (for using as a squeegee), a spray bottle of application solution (water?), and the shield film itself. The blister pack shipped in a padded envelope. Not like when I got my original shield in a regular #10 envelope.

Dont waste your time with invisble shields. Way, way over priced. Take a look at: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront

Exactly the same product, just a differnt pice. I have a sample from both stores and both are exaclty the same stuff.

Dont waste your time with invisble shields. Way, way over priced. Take a look at: http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront

Exactly the same product, just a differnt pice. I have a sample from both stores and both are exaclty the same stuff.

I didn't see a lifetime guarantee mentioned. But their site crashed while I was looking through it, so maybe it's there somewhere.

Pinout is in your manual toward the back.

Serial connection/Power plug is also used for NMEA for live tracking hookup

new "x's" can also be powered from USB cord w/12v auto addapter

Forget the high$ Invis.Shield--go to Office Depot and get a package of screen protectors for PDA. Get a size that's bigger than your GPSr screen and trim to fit. I've had (the first) one on my GPSr probably for longer than Invis. Shield has been in business.

And after all of that.....send the unit back to Garmin "Rat Now" , it will probably be free and may not take as long as you think.