Battery Storage

byrdog

Curious, what does everyone do to store their AA batteries? I have several pairs of NiMH batteries around that I like to carry for spares and such, I hate to just toss them in my backpack. Will they short out on each other?

Anyone have any great (cheap) ideas on what to carry two AAs in?

Curious, what does everyone do to store their AA batteries? I have several pairs of NiMH batteries around that I like to carry for spares and such, I hate to just toss them in my backpack. Will they short out on each other?

Anyone have any great (cheap) ideas on what to carry two AAs in?

Sure! Maha/Powerex has little translucent plastic cases for AA and AAA batteries. They come in 4 and 8 cell varieties. I keep the 4-AA variety in my caching pack. I've yet to actually have to swap out batteries but I do drive with the GPSr plugged into a 12v socket most of the time so that saves a lot of battery power.

Extra batteries?!?! I can go out for a week backpack trip and not need extra batteries. 2 AAA lithiums in my Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp (160 hours.) and 2 AAA lithiums in my Garmin Foretrex 101 (15 hours) and 2 NiMH rechargeables in my digital camera (200+) pictures. That'll get me through a week easy...More than enough battery! I am anal about weight, and I can't see carrying x-tra anything! "If you don't need it, don't take it." That's my moto...First aid supplies and emergency fire starting stuff is the only thing I carry that I hope I never need.

But, to answer your question, the chances of some metallic object making contact with both posts of an AA battery simultaneously are pretty remote. About the only possibility I can imagine is if they somehow got crinkled into some aluminum foil. Highly unlikely. If you must take them, drop them into a sandwich baggie and don't worry about them!

[quote name=Alphawolf' date='Aug 4 2006, 06:06 PM' post='2386557.But, to answer your question, the chances of some metallic object making contact with both posts of an AA battery simultaneously are pretty remote. About the only possibility I can imagine is if they somehow got crinkled into some aluminum foil. Highly unlikely. If you must take them, drop them into a sandwich baggie and don't worry about them!

Not true. I had some batteries in my pocket along with a good chunk of change and I dadgum near burned a hole in my thigh from the heat when they shorted out.

I carry my spare NiMh batteries in a "disposable" plastic case that originally held 6 Alkaline AA batteries. It has served me well for over a year. Thanks Energizer! :)

You're welcome. We actually get written requests from people looking to buy these. People like them for storing all sorts of little stuff.

It's nice working for Energizer.

Not true. I had some batteries in my pocket along with a good chunk of change and I dadgum near burned a hole in my thigh from the heat when they shorted out.[/color]

What kind of batteries did you have to create that kind of current through coins? And how did the short maintain continuity long enough to get that hot? Were you sleeping or something? (I'm not doubting your account, just wondering what set of circumstances caused it.) I have packed AA alkalines in my pockets for years. I would never do a 9V that way, but little 1.5VAA batteries have never given me even a warm spot!

Not true. I had some batteries in my pocket along with a good chunk of change and I dadgum near burned a hole in my thigh from the heat when they shorted out.[/color]

What kind of batteries did you have to create that kind of current through coins? And how did the short maintain continuity long enough to get that hot? Were you sleeping or something? (I'm not doubting your account, just wondering what set of circumstances caused it.) I have packed AA alkalines in my pockets for years. I would never do a 9V that way, but little 1.5VAA batteries have never given me even a warm spot!

I had a lot of coins in my pocket and I was sitting down at work. They were either AAA or AA NIMH rechargeables.

All of these are great ideas.

I got the film canisters, cheap and simple.

But I am switching to the best idea yet: Taking the two mini-mag lites out of my dresser drawer and storing the batteries in them, not much weight and flashlights just incase

Brilliant!! (reminds me, I need a Guiness)

I use this piece of genius.

http://www.sissy-n-cr.com/store5.shtml

I use these too. My CR123's fit in the AA size too and we all know how critical it is to keep them apart. They are inexpensive and take up no space.

I have been thinking about battery storage and considered this (along with some type of cloth military ammo holder.) At the last gun show i was at i didnt see anything that would work.

I would want this item to hang outside of my pack. Does anyone have any idea how well this item holds the batteries? Has anyone ever lost any batteries? Thanks!!

I use these too. My CR123's fit in the AA size too and we all know how critical it is to keep them apart. They are inexpensive and take up no space.

I have been thinking about battery storage and considered this (along with some type of cloth military ammo holder.) At the last gun show i was at i didnt see anything that would work.

I would want this item to hang outside of my pack. Does anyone have any idea how well this item holds the batteries? Has anyone ever lost any batteries? Thanks!!

I have never lost any batteries and they hang on the outside of my pack

I have never lost any batteries and they hang on the outside of my pack

Ditto. The batteries are held very tight by the material.

TAD Gear sells a gray plastic case that will hold four AA batteries for $2.48. Although the web page mentions it will also hold four AAA batteries, they like to rattle quite a bit if you do that. But for AA batteries it works great!

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/gear...attery_case.htm

Also, I've used the small Ziploc-style plastic baggies from the craft section in Wal-Mart. I think about 100 baggies was all of a couple bucks, if that. The small ones hold two AA batteries just fine.

Here are some other links to plastic battery holders:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/batteryholder-index.htm

http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=369596

http://www.greenbatteries.com/plbacaforaaa.html

Edited by big.foot

I have a small Pelican case that I got with a shipment of CR123 batteries from Battery Station. The 123s, including the case, were only ~$1 each, and the case was a nice bonus. I still have more than half of them left after 18 months or so. The case is waterproof, bright yellow so it doesn't get lost, and holds all my NiMH AAs & AAAs. I also have a few disposable plastic containers that came with batteries for carrying a few at a time.

I store them in my ammo pouch. Problem, last week I reloaded my .300WM carbine with AA batteries ! Happy wild boar ! :rolleyes:

I do the same (may have gotten the idea from you last year). I use a pouch for shotgun shells; I don't remember what gauge, but whatever I am using is just right for AA batteries. Charged batteries go in postive terminal up, and used batteries go in with the positive terminal down.

I knew y'all would have greta ideas.

Stopping by the picture developer at CVS today.

Thanks.

First of all I use rechargable batteries ~ Environmnetally a better choice.

I use two "Altoids" containers.. carries 6 AA batteries.

The green box, I put the recharged batteries

The red box, I place the batteries which were replaced and need charging.

The two box system is crush proof and gives me batteries to spare. :D