Garmin 60CSx Lithium Battery Problem

Ok, here's a strange one. Tried searching for this, but came up empty.

I went to change the Energizer e Lithium batteries in my 60CSx with a fresh set. When I started it up, the screen would come up and then fade away after a few seconds. First thought was that I had bought a bad package of litium batteries, so I measured them and found that they were fine (1.79vdc). Tried putting the old Lithium batteries back in and everything worked fine (battery meter showing them to be weak, but the unit stayed on). So I tried switching back to the new lithiums, but the same fading/low battery thing happened again.

I do have the "Battery Type" set to Lithium, and I've even tried switching it to alkaline & NiMH and then back to Lithium. As well as actually inserting some alkalines and then lithiums again. I've also bought some more lithiums from a different manufacturing batch, but still had the same problem. I really prefer using the lithiums, as I get a lot more running time.

Has anyone else had this problem??

Yep, seems to be common problem with Lithiums in 60CSx. I'm not sure there is a difference but I have been using Energizer e Lithiums in my 76CSx since I first got it 4-5 months ago. I have never had a problem using fresh lithiums. I would think the internal electronics would be identical to the 60CSx but maybe there is a slight difference so this problem doesn't show up. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :-)

Yep, seems to be common problem with Lithiums in 60CSx. I'm not sure there is a difference but I have been using Energizer e Lithiums in my 76CSx since I first got it 4-5 months ago. I have never had a problem using fresh lithiums. I would think the internal electronics would be identical to the 60CSx but maybe there is a slight difference so this problem doesn't show up. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :-)

It's odd that the 60CSx should puke over fresh Li batteries as the manual indicates in the specifications section that it can be powered by two 1.5 volt AA batteries, USB data cable, 12 V adapter cable, or up to 36 VDC external power. Now the Li batteries will be higher voltage by a bit over a freash set of alkalines but not by much. Also, since the unit can except up to 36VDC the internal power supply can certainly handle it. I do hope this is fixable in a firmware update.

Garmin has always been the leader in my mind but it does look like they are cutting corners now -- sad!

Brian

Thanks Folks, that did the trick. I figured that since the CSx had a "Lithium Ion" setting, it would be able to deal with the higher starting voltage. That and the fact that these were the second set of lithium batteries that I had tried. I guess the first set must have been on the shelf for a while and dropped enough voltage to work. I guess I'll have to go out and buy a AA flashlight again (I've switched over to LED's using 123 lithiums).

Thanks again everyone!

The "Lithium Ion" setting appeared silently at a recent firmware upgrade, and is not mentioned in the manual (unless they have updated it on-line). "Lithium ion" is NOT THE SAME as "Lithium". LiION batteries are rechargeable and have a voltage of a bit over 3v per cell, so a single-cell LiION battery can replace a pair of alkaline, NiMH, or lithium batteries. Since there is apparently no LiION battery that fits the Garmin 2-AA battery compartments, the purpose of the setting is a mystery. Some other Garmin units (such as the eTrex Vista) did have a "Lithium" setting added during a firmware upgrade, and that works with lithium AA cells. The 60CSx appears to work with lithiums if you use the NiMH setting.

The "Lithium Ion" setting appeared silently at a recent firmware upgrade, and is not mentioned in the manual (unless they have updated it on-line). "Lithium ion" is NOT THE SAME as "Lithium". LiION batteries are rechargeable and have a voltage of a bit over 3v per cell, so a single-cell LiION battery can replace a pair of alkaline, NiMH, or lithium batteries. Since there is apparently no LiION battery that fits the Garmin 2-AA battery compartments, the purpose of the setting is a mystery. Some other Garmin units (such as the eTrex Vista) did have a "Lithium" setting added during a firmware upgrade, and that works with lithium AA cells. The 60CSx appears to work with lithiums if you use the NiMH setting.

I noticed this a while back if my Vista was set for NiMH and I put in new Alkaline cells; once I changed the setting to Alkaline (default), everything was OK. What a difference 0.5 volts will make. :o

My 60cx set to NiMH immediately crapped out when I put lithiums in.

Actually, I've been using the Lithium-Ion setting with the regular Lithium batteries and it works great. I did this because the the guy who teaches GPS classes at the local Sportsman's Warehouse told me that was the correct setting for Lithiums. But I've sent off an email to Garmin support to confirm this. I'll let you know what I hear.

Two batteries at 1.79volts is 3.58 volts, and I think that amount of voltage is really pushing it for any GPS, but I could be wrong.

That's why I was using the Lithium setting in the System menu. That and one of our local GPS instructors said he was told to do the same thing by a Garmin Tech.

The 1.79Vdc reading was "unloaded". Once in the unit, they were closer to 1.72Vdc each. But after doing the "burndown" tip in a tv remote, the unloaded voltage is now about 1.68Vdc. While the loaded voltage is 1.66Vdc on average.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from Garmin soon to verify what the instructor told me.

Two batteries at 1.79volts is 3.58 volts, and I think that amount of voltage is really pushing it for any GPS, but I could be wrong.

That's why I was using the Lithium setting in the System menu. That and one of our local GPS instructors said he was told to do the same thing by a Garmin Tech.

The 1.79Vdc reading was "unloaded". Once in the unit, they were closer to 1.72Vdc each. But after doing the "burndown" tip in a tv remote, the unloaded voltage is now about 1.68Vdc. While the loaded voltage is 1.66Vdc on average.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from Garmin soon to verify what the instructor told me.

**UPDATE**

Heard back from Garmin Tech support today.

"For non-rechargable lithium batteries, you will want to use the lithium-ion feature on the menu."

Hope this helps, I know it makes me feel batter.

**UPDATE**

"For non-rechargable lithium batteries, you will want to use the lithium-ion feature on the menu."

Classic example of Garmin's reps no longer knowing their product.

IT DON"T WORK NOW, AND IT AIN'T NEVER WORKED!

(Pardon the shouting)

To put things in perspective, this is the only thing on the 60CSx that still irritates me; otherwise I'm extremly happy with it - I think its the best consumer handheld on the market (along with the 76 x's). If they would either fix it or just admit that they can't, I would be satisfied. But to keep putting out this bull really bugs me.

I've never heard of a 76C/CSx user having the problem, so this may be unique to the 60C/CSx models, and even perhaps to the earliest units.

**UPDATE**

Classic example of Garmin's reps no longer knowing their product.

IT DON"T WORK NOW, AND IT AIN'T NEVER WORKED!

(Pardon the shouting)

To put things in perspective, this is the only thing on the 60CSx that still irritates me; otherwise I'm extremly happy with it - I think its the best consumer handheld on the market (along with the 76 x's). If they would either fix it or just admit that they can't, I would be satisfied. But to keep putting out this bull really bugs me.

I've never heard of a 76C/CSx user having the problem, so this may be unique to the 60C/CSx models, and even perhaps to the earliest units.

Not quite sure what you mean "DON'T WORK". I know it's working in my unit. Because I've had my third set of Energizer e-Lithium batteries in for over a week and it's working great. Last night, I told the co-worker that turned me on to the 60CSx about the reply from Garmin and he said that he always uses the e-Lithiums during his snowmobile runs because of the exreme cold (and he's been also setting his to the "Lithium-Ion" setting - didn't know about the difference). He has the same GPS/software version as I do ( the latest), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Not quite sure what you mean "DON'T WORK". I know it's working in my unit. Because I've had my third set of Energizer e-Lithium batteries in for over a week and it's working great. Last night, I told the co-worker that turned me on to the 60CSx about the reply from Garmin and he said that he always uses the e-Lithiums during his snowmobile runs because of the exreme cold (and he's been also setting his to the "Lithium-Ion" setting - didn't know about the difference). He has the same GPS/software version as I do ( the latest), so maybe that has something to do with it.

A number of the initial 60C/Cx unit owners reported the problem, but I don't know of any 76C/CSx owners or even more recent 60C/CSx owners that have had problems; it may be that there was a tolerance problem with a voltage sensor on the earliest units that has since been corrected. If so, then Garmin should have offered to replace the problem units; it's not like they weren't made aware of the problem from the beginning.

Dear R_S

There is apparently LiION battery that can repalce a pair of NiMH

http://www.mobypower.com/en/index.html

I gave up on the Lithiums in my 60Cx... and just stick with my plethora of NiMH's at 2600mAH... I only use the lithiums in my Legend C.

No worries....

The Legend is my "dashboard fixture" while the 60Cx dashes around for the detail work or resides on the console of my boat (where it's plugged in to a 12V port.)

Sadly, if it were a software/firmware issue (60Cx & Lithium) I have to assume it would have been fixed by now. At this point I must assume that Garmin goofed in the hardware design and has concluded that they'll get too many warranty returns/repairs if the high-voltage limit is raised to accomodate the e2's.

No, the CR-V3’s don't have enough of a recess between the cells. We have a set in one of our company's digital cameras.

Found out that the 60CSx voltage range (battery-wise) is 3-3.5 vdc, so as long as you get the lithium’s down below 1.75v per cell - they should be fine. 30-60 seconds in a flashlight should be enough to bleed off the .04-.05 volts.

Everybody has their own preferences on battery type. While I like rechargeable, they don't work well for where I live. I have to drive 60 miles to go grocery shopping for instance, so it's not practical for me to rely on a battery type that requires a wall outlet.

When I bought my last digital camera, being able to use regular batteries over a rechargeable battery pack was one of my primary requirements. But I also have a XM Radio boombox that uses 6 D-Cells and/or an AC adapter. In that unit, I use NiMH's to start with and then when they die out in the camp - switch over to Duracells.