Alien Geocoin

Mr & Mrs Loggerhead

Let's try a whole new approach. This time let's hear from the seller. Maybe he can explain how this coin relates to Geocaching. This should be rather simple and straight forward. I personally see no connection, but maybe he can enlighten me.

Quite honestly pghlooking, what makes you think that loggerhead needs to or should "enlighten you"? If Groundspeak didn't feel it was worthy of being called a geocoin, they wouldn't have approved it as one. Groundspeak clearly felt it was worthy - so, why shouldn't we? No geocoin maker should have to justify ANYTHING about their coins to ANY posters in this forum. They only need justify the coin to themselves, their coin buyers, and to GC.com. Nobody else.

And, just to be clear here - I'm not a buyer of these coins. They didn't "click" with me or what I look for in a coin. However, I don't feel Loggerhead needs to explain anything to me about why he/she designed the coin the way they did... Nor do they deserve to be verbally abused.

That's what makes some of these posts "flames". Those that choose to overstep the line of expressing their thoughts on a coin and begin making personal attacks on the makers of that coin. Not all negative posts are flames... however, some have been. Personally, I think Loggerhead deserves better.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Peace to all - even the flamers. Happy caching to all...

Edited by Team Petey

:( I agree with the notion that these as well as the last Loggerhead coin are too expensive and I will pass. This is the exact sort of greed that will be the end to the geocoin collecting hobby one day. I owned a trading card and comic book shop years ago and saw the exact same thing happen there. Trading cards became a hot commodity so the price went up, the number of sets went way up and before you know it, the hobby of collecting cards completely went away due to the greed of a few people. I guess you can always count on somebody to come along who is more than willing to take full advantage of a situation and drive it straight into the ground. Sorry, but you won't be getting one penny of my money and I hope others don't follow your lead (although I know they will). That's just my opinion and I have the right to express it.

Trading cards? Are you speaking of Baseball cards? Cause last time I checked that hobby is still going strong. as a matter of fact go to ebay and type in "baseball card" your seach will deliver you 171,103 auctions and "Comic Book" will list you 119,175 auctions.

Interestingly enough if you type the word "geocoin" you will get 408 auctions..

So forgive me for not buying into the whole greed is gonna be the end of geocoins. Honestly if there was not money to be made way fewer geocoins would exist. I have minted 4 separate coins (1500 coins total) and I can garrantee that if I would not have been able to sell them to recover my cost and hope for a small profit then I would not have ever minted a single one. I am not poor but have other priorities. For example if I ever have a few thousand dollars laying around I need to take my wife and daughters to disney land or something not sink it into geocoins.

FREE MARKET

LOVE IT!

ALIEN GEOCOINS CLICK HERE

Let's try a whole new approach. This time let's hear from the seller. Maybe he can explain how this coin relates to Geocaching. This should be rather simple and straight forward. I personally see no connection, but maybe he can enlighten me.

I'm not the seller, but I can clearly see how it relates to geocaching: It is a geocoin with a tracking number, and is approved by gc.com. The creation and sale of this coin directly supports gc.com and therefore the geocaching hobby.

We aren't the seller either, but we feel the relation to Geocaching is quite clear! LOL!!

If you look at the back of the coin, you see an Alien sneaking off with a geocache. CLEARLY, this is a commical explaination of what is hapening to all those caches that come up missing! LOL!!

They haven't been MUGGLED, they've been ABDUCTED! LOL!! :(

The creation and sale of this coin is very much within the limits of the entire geocoin hobby (which doesn't have any limits other than icon/design approval by GC). I think that folks should choose individually to buy or not buy it.

That stated, I personally think it is way too expensive. It's obviously a way for the creator to make money (or "free" coins, or whatever). My opinion is that the creation of "personal" coins that are sold at profit or to pay for the coins is lame. However, that's just my opinion. If someone came out with something really cool I would probably buy even consider buying them. They would just have to be way more geocaching related than this one.

As for the sports card, comic book references. They are, in fact, quite accurate. The difference in scale is relative to the number of enthusiasts. Over production of "geocoins" will change the hobby of geocoin collecting (in fact, it already has). This may be a good or bad thing. Good -- more coins, less rare, more in caches (maybe). Bad -- not as fun to find, boring (McCoins?).

Everyone should feel free to hold their own opinions on this and guide their personal actions accordingly. I, for one, will not buy this coin. That's a personal choice. I also will choose to not see it as much of a geocoin. It's a nice commercial product that has an ammo can on it, but beyond that it's really not for me.

Why post my thoughts here? This is a forum -- and ideas should be freely exchanged. Personally, I think Groundspeak should charge an advertising fee for anyone that posts coins for sale in the forums. Maybe they allow free advertising because they charge for tracking numbers. Still -- it's currently a pretty sweet deal for those that have made in a for-profit manner.

AND.....let me RE-state. I respect and believe in everyones right to both create and buy these coins. I also demand my personal right within the guidelines of the forums to express my disagreement with the whole concept.

<edit> for one very obvious spelling error

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Why post my thoughts here? This is a forum -- and ideas should be freely exchanged. Personally, I think Groundspeak should charge an advertising fee for anyone that posts coins for sale in the forums. Maybe they allow free advertising because they charge for tracking numbers. Still -- it's currently a pretty sweet deal for those that have made in a for-profit manner.

I think $1.50 per tracking number and $150 for an icon is enough of a fee.

and by the way.... In your example when you see the $5 gallon of milk and you see that lot's of other people are buying it do you heckle the store manager every time you go there? Beat him up for selling that stuff at a higher profit. Should the store manager feel guilty for selling the product that people are happy to buy? Would you stand next to the cooler and try to convince any prospective customers that come to get milk that the $5 milk is junk and the store is just trying to rip you off?

This would be accurate if we were in a store and not in the forums. Here, we should feel free to freely comment on any aspect of the "sale" as long as we remain respectful and within the guidlelines of the forum rules.

In fact, I like the free exchange of ideas. Imagine if I was new to geocoin collecting and I didn't realize that not everyone thinks this is a geocoin and/or priced appropriately.

On the other hand ... if it sells out, I bet it will go for $20+ on eBay.

In my experience with hobby collectibles, there will be a shift soon and many, many folks will sell their collections en mass. (hey....isn't this already happening already?). People will stop buying every coin. Hey! they may become so de-valued that they end up in caches! (Beanie Babies anyone...anyone...anyone...?)

I think $1.50 per tracking number and $150 for an icon is enough of a fee.

I think they should charge even more! As much as they can get! After all -- it's free enterprise.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Yep, but the thing about it is they can charge as much as people will pay. Charge too much, nobody buys - nobody benefits. Find the right mix of price & demand, and you've got a good product.

Although people are quite vocal about their opposition to this coin, I don't think the Loggerheads would continue to make them if they were losing money.

Yep, but the thing about it is they can charge as much as people will pay. Charge too much, nobody buys - nobody benefits. Find the right mix of price & demand, and you've got a good product.

Although people are quite vocal about their opposition to this coin, I don't think the Loggerheads would continue to make them if they were losing money.

I totally agree. More power to them. At some point I think editions will start selling less, then not at all. We are far, far away from this point from what I see. It's as if we are at the 30% point of the "Beanie Baby" craze. There are still many more we can expect and many that will buy.

Haha! I guess in 5 years I'll either be saying "told you so" or trying to buy all the "coins" I missed on eBay. :(

BTW -- Loggerheads -- I hope you know that I really liked your turtle design and have absolutely no personal issues with you. Sometimes folks start to think this is a personal thing --it really isn't.

:laughing: I agree with the notion that these as well as the last Loggerhead coin are too expensive and I will pass. This is the exact sort of greed that will be the end to the geocoin collecting hobby one day. I owned a trading card and comic book shop years ago and saw the exact same thing happen there. Trading cards became a hot commodity so the price went up, the number of sets went way up and before you know it, the hobby of collecting cards completely went away due to the greed of a few people. I guess you can always count on somebody to come along who is more than willing to take full advantage of a situation and drive it straight into the ground. Sorry, but you won't be getting one penny of my money and I hope others don't follow your lead (although I know they will). That's just my opinion and I have the right to express it.

Trading cards? Are you speaking of Baseball cards? Cause last time I checked that hobby is still going strong. as a matter of fact go to ebay and type in "baseball card" your seach will deliver you 171,103 auctions and "Comic Book" will list you 119,175 auctions.

So forgive me for not buying into the whole greed is gonna be the end of geocoins. Honestly if there was not money to be made way fewer geocoins would exist. I have minted 4 separate coins (1500 coins total) and I can garrantee that if I would not have been able to sell them to recover my cost and hope for a small profit then I would not have ever minted a single one. I am not poor but have other priorities. For example if I ever have a few thousand dollars laying around I need to take my wife and daughters to disney land or something not sink it into geocoins.

FREE MARKET

LOVE IT!

Yes, Einstein, I'm referring to 'Baseball' cards as well as football, basketball, golf, non-sport, hockey or for anybody that knows anything about the hobby 'Trading' cards. Those who don't know what they are talking about should keep their opinions to themselves. At the time that I had my shop, there were three other shops in my small town of 9,000 people and every convenience store and grocery store was selling trading cards but the greed displayed by card producers eventually almost eliminated the hobby. Yes, I'm sure there are lots of cards on e-bay with most of them selling for 1/10 of what they were selling for when the hobby was 'hot' like geocoin collecting is now. I know what I'm talking about, you are just grasping at straws and don't have a clue. It's quite obvious that you know nothing of the hobby of collecting trading cards from your comments and it is like I said before, one can put a spin out and prove anything they want to those who don't know any different. All I'm saying is what could potentially happen, not what will but I certainly don't appreciate your problem with me having an opinion! If you are stupid enough to pay $16 for a coin today, then you will be stupid enough to pay $20 for a coin next month and then $25 but at some point, you too are going to decide the price is too high and refuse to pay it. I've reached that plateau now but only with this coin. I can still find very nice coins for good prices and I continue to buy them and all I can do is hope that greed doesn't get ahold of everybody and all coins are of the $16 variety. When that happens, I will have to find a new hobby, one that I can afford (just like I did with card collecting). Since it appears you have so much money, I have about 150,000 trading cards and about 4,000 comics I'd like to sell, what are you offering. I figure if you think $16 is still reasonable for a coin and the trading card hobby is still alive and well, then I need to have $48,000.00 for the whole lot, that's not too much, do you think?

:unsure: I agree with the notion that these as well as the last Loggerhead coin are too expensive and I will pass. This is the exact sort of greed that will be the end to the geocoin collecting hobby one day. I owned a trading card and comic book shop years ago and saw the exact same thing happen there. Trading cards became a hot commodity so the price went up, the number of sets went way up and before you know it, the hobby of collecting cards completely went away due to the greed of a few people. I guess you can always count on somebody to come along who is more than willing to take full advantage of a situation and drive it straight into the ground. Sorry, but you won't be getting one penny of my money and I hope others don't follow your lead (although I know they will). That's just my opinion and I have the right to express it.

FREE MARKET

LOVE IT!

Yes, Einstein, I'm referring to 'Baseball' cards as well as football, basketball, golf, non-sport, hockey or for anybody that knows anything about the hobby 'Trading' cards. Those who don't know what they are talking about should keep their opinions to themselves. At the time that I had my shop, there were three other shops in my small town of 9,000 people and every convenience store and grocery store was selling trading cards but the greed displayed by card producers eventually almost eliminated the hobby. Yes, I'm sure there are lots of cards on e-bay with most of them selling for 1/10 of what they were selling for when the hobby was 'hot' like geocoin collecting is now. I know what I'm talking about, you are just grasping at straws and don't have a clue. It's quite obvious that you know nothing of the hobby of collecting trading cards from your comments and it is like I said before, one can put a spin out and prove anything they want to those who don't know any different. All I'm saying is what could potentially happen, not what will but I certainly don't appreciate your problem with me having an opinion! If you are stupid enough to pay $16 for a coin today, then you will be stupid enough to pay $20 for a coin next month and then $25 but at some point, you too are going to decide the price is too high and refuse to pay it. I've reached that plateau now but only with this coin. I can still find very nice coins for good prices and I continue to buy them and all I can do is hope that greed doesn't get ahold of everybody and all coins are of the $16 variety. When that happens, I will have to find a new hobby, one that I can afford (just like I did with card collecting). Since it appears you have so much money, I have about 150,000 trading cards and about 4,000 comics I'd like to sell, what are you offering. I figure if you think $16 is still reasonable for a coin and the trading card hobby is still alive and well, then I need to have $48,000.00 for the whole lot, that's not too much, do you think?

:shocked: WATCHING for the PASTA comming attraction!

No need for the PASTA, I will from this point forward keep my mouth shut on the subject. People know my opinion but I WILL respond when someone takes a shot at me personally. I have an opinion and I will give it to you, like it or not but I've had enough fun with this topic and will not respond again (even if it is a personal attack). Pay what is asked, push this coin to everyone reading the forum and attempt to silence anybody with a dissenting opinion. But when geocoin collecting dies a horrible death, I'll be on here telling some people I TOLD YOU SO!

:shocked: It's just my opinion, I might be wrong! So might the other side of this discussion.

Edited by Rubiconlwb

I see both sides ,I thought the coin was too expensive but I bought the coin ...I am an addict! But I thnk it is great we can all express our opinion here either for or against any position . Some people will take one side ,some the other ...some partial ,some neither ....that's what makes our world great ...diversity

Trackable but only you seem to care!

Not true - there have been plenty of people in here that don't see the connection.

Whoa! :unsure::shocked:

This started up again in a big way.

My issue with this coin is not its geocaching relation or lack thereof is the price only. It does not hold this value for me. For some it does and they bought it and that is ok. But not for me and I have not bought it or traded for it.

Personal I think the sports card analogy is a good one and probably a beanie baby reference would be appropriate too.

I personally don't care if it is related or not. I am an Alien in the US so I like the symbol of it. It is a cool looking coin no matter how you look at it. If you buy it great or if don't no big deal. I wonder how many will be looking to trade for this coin down the road though??

You can not please all the people so do what you figure is right in your budget and let others do what they like. How ever it goes I will have this coin in my small little collection when it is all said and done. I may even have a spare..... :shocked:

My issue with the coin is that it is not a signature item whatsoever. It is also not very well related to caching (yeah....that alien does have an ammo box, but no love from me on the "theme"). Oh...and it is obviously commercial (for profit) -- which I don't really care for either.

Which is okay - folks can do what they want with their money. in fact, folks can collect what they want, spend what they want, etc etc.

Do I think these types of coins hurt the hobby of collecting signature coins? - yes, I do.

This coin adds volume without adding substance to the hobby.

For me - in my opinion.

Similar to Trading cards (extra series, special series, special foil, super-size, etc, etc).

Similar to comics (limited cover, platnium edition, special edition)

Similar to Beanie Babies (-- okay, I never studied these ones or sold/collected them)

More coins are (in my opinion) not a bad thing at all -- it makes more to collect, more to see. However, coins that are like this one (with a sketchy relation to the hobby at best) and priced specifically to generate a profit are what I call "noise".

I like coins as signature items, organizational signature items, and geo-themed....that's all. Other people can do what they want.

:laughing: I agree with the notion that these as well as the last Loggerhead coin are too expensive and I will pass. This is the exact sort of greed that will be the end to the geocoin collecting hobby one day. I owned a trading card and comic book shop years ago and saw the exact same thing happen there. Trading cards became a hot commodity so the price went up, the number of sets went way up and before you know it, the hobby of collecting cards completely went away due to the greed of a few people. I guess you can always count on somebody to come along who is more than willing to take full advantage of a situation and drive it straight into the ground. Sorry, but you won't be getting one penny of my money and I hope others don't follow your lead (although I know they will). That's just my opinion and I have the right to express it.

FREE MARKET

LOVE IT!

So did your store go out of business because you sold everything for cost? I mean you would not want people to think you were greedy and the only reason your store was there was to make money. did you have people come in to your store each day and complain that you made $5 on this or $10 on that? didn't you hate all those people that complain about prices?

I can't wait for the hobby of collection geocoins to "completely go away" and if we are lucky there will be 170,000 auctions on ebay. :rolleyes:

HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE :ph34r::wub:

OH YEAH ALMOST FORGOT

GET YOUR ALIEN GEOCOINS HERE!!!! CLICK HERE

I can hardly wait for geocoin collecting to go the way of 'baseball card' collecting and there are 170,000 geocoins on e-bay for 25 cents apiece. Then I can pick up a few more coins and enjoy them as I do now, because I like them, not because they are so valuable. Then I can release a few more into the wild (what a novel idea, huh?). But hey, when the Loggerhead coins are selling for $5.00 a dozen, I still won't buy any of them and that will be for the same reason, because they are still overpriced.

Can't we all just agree to disagree on this coin? It is clear that there are MANY differences in opinions. At this point,we are merely beating that "dead horse".

It all boils down to, if you like the coin, and you feel it is worth the price, then by all means, BUY it. If the coin isn't what you are looking for, and you have strong issues with the price, then by all means, DON'T buy it.

All the complaining, insulting and name calling isn't going to change the fact that there will be people who strongly like, and people who strongly dislike this coin for various reasons.

The fact that we all have our own opinions, and can voice them freely, is a GREAT thing, and we should all respect those rights. But to keep arguing the point makes the whole thing redundant.

The operative word here should be RESPECT. Instead of slinging insults at each other, we should all respect the other one's OPINIONS. Just because those opinions may differ, it doesn't make any one of them more right than the other. That is why they are called "OPINIONS"!

Thank you. We will climb down off of our soapbox now.

Hope everybody has a GREAT week! :blink:

Can't we all just agree to disagree on this coin? It is clear that there are MANY differences in opinions. At this point,we are merely beating that "dead horse".

It all boils down to, if you like the coin, and you feel it is worth the price, then by all means, BUY it. If the coin isn't what you are looking for, and you have strong issues with the price, then by all means, DON'T buy it.

All the complaining, insulting and name calling isn't going to change the fact that there will be people who strongly like, and people who strongly dislike this coin for various reasons.

The fact that we all have our own opinions, and can voice them freely, is a GREAT thing, and we should all respect those rights. But to keep arguing the point makes the whole thing redundant.

The operative word here should be RESPECT. Instead of slinging insults at each other, we should all respect the other one's OPINIONS. Just because those opinions may differ, it doesn't make any one of them more right than the other. That is why they are called "OPINIONS"!

Thank you. We will climb down off of our soapbox now.

Hope everybody has a GREAT week! :blink:

I do agree with you and up until just recently, my posts were merely my opinion on the matter. Of late, I have been slinging a little mud back that has been slung at me. Two posts ago I said it would be my last but since someone had to get the last word in, I was forced to respond. I won't again and Sunshine Gang can have the final word. I will collect as I see fit and everybody else can do the same. I only hope this remains a fun and afforable hobby. :huh:

See? Sometimes cooler heads prevail and everybody can come to a reasonable conclusion to "agree to disagree" in a respectful manner.

Yes, we were watching this thread closely and some of the posts were teetering on the edge, but I commend you all for bringing it back around to a civilized exchange of opinions.

Unless there's anything left to say about the coins in general, the OP may want to consider having the thread closed.

I do agree with you and up until just recently, my posts were merely my opinion on the matter. Of late, I have been slinging a little mud back that has been slung at me. Two posts ago I said it would be my last but since someone had to get the last word in, I was forced to respond. I won't again and Sunshine Gang can have the final word. I will collect as I see fit and everybody else can do the same. I only hope this remains a fun and afforable hobby. :(

You know I tried really hard to let this go. I saw this post last night and did not want to be the one to keep it going so I just went to bed .. but here I am today and I just can't

Who Slung mud at you?

Did someone call you names? I was called einstein, Now einstein is not the worst thing to be called but obviously it was not intended to be a compliment

Did someone tell you that you do not know what you are talking about and that you should keep your opinions to yourself?

Go back through my posts. I may have used a bit of sarcasim to make my points but I never lost my cool the whole time

Yes you are entitle to your opinion and I can respect that. But when you claimed that Greed completely ended the card collecting hobby it seem to me that was not factual. Now did it hurt and or change the hobby? I would know nothing about that. But I think it is a fact that people still collect cards. I think 170,000 "baseball card" auctions on ebay makes it a fact.

GET YOUR ALIEN GEOCOINS

If one more person hijacks this thread with an off topic post, that should be taken to private communication, I will have to come in here and put this thread out of it's misery. The OP can post a fresh clean thread, if they choose to do so.

This thread is a coin sale thread. You either like the coin, or you don't. You either buy it, or you don't. You are all free to your opinions, as long as posting those opinions is within the guidelines. We won't let it get personal in these forums. Now please, get back on topic and take any personal issues to some place private.

Thank you.

It is a coin that is trackable on geocaching.com and there is an ammo can on the front, that is all I can see relating to geocaching. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It passed the approval of gc.com and that is all that matters. What I see as funny is the people who criticize the coin but continue to make their own coins that have very little to do with caching. The creator of the coin can and probably will make as many different coins until someone stops buying the quantity to make it profitable to them.

P.S. I did like the loggerhead coin very much.

It passed the approval of gc.com and that is all that matters.

To be fair and accurate, shouldn't this say:

"It passed the approval of gc.com and that is all that matters to me " ?

There are plenty of people (like me) that think it takes more than that to matter. Not picking a fight, just trying to avoid talking in absolutes.

OT: I'm sure some will sell on eBay as well. And I'm sure they will make enough to keep them making more. I believe I already saw Thanksgiving and Christmas designs for these, too. They'll just be doing it without my money - and I'm sure they're not losing sleep over that. :laughing:

I don't see this as a fight but rather an open discussion. I am not interested in this coin, however, in order for this coin to be trackable it only needs to pass the test or receive the approval of gc.com. Other than gc.com, no one else has the authority to stop a creator from making a trackable coin.

I don't see this as a fight but rather an open discussion. I am not interested in this coin, however, in order for this coin to be trackable it only needs to pass the test or receive the approval of gc.com. Other than gc.com, no one else has the authority to stop a creator from making a trackable coin.

Agreed. I see now that you were focused on what it takes to be trackable. I was thinking more of what it takes to be relevant - whole other thread....

We now return you to the thread.

Looks like this one may be heading down the tubes. Between 2 auctions on the " E " place 150 coins for sale. :tired:

As far as going down the tubes does it mean if you sell on ebay things are going badly? We have 103 left on the ebay auctions and they were done that way so as the price didn't go over the initial price. If you put one coin on at a time it will 99 times out of 100 it will go over the initial price. This way they all sell for the same price.

I have a total of 160 left out of 500 so that's not to bad including some LE and ELE. Trades are always excepted as long as we have coins.

We had 10 Gold minted but they are sold only in charity auctions on ebay.

The main reason I got one here was to tell all buyers and traders that all coins have been shipped. They arrived Monday morning after being held up in US Customs and all were shipped by Tuesday morning. Please let me know as you receive them.

Thanks

Mr & Mrs Loggerhead

Oh yeah we do have a Thanksgiving and Christmas Loggerhead coming out but it will be offered by e-mail only to previous customers.

Edited by Mr & Mrs Loggerhead

what happened to my avatar?!

We are SO happy with these :angry:

The CACHE is out there...............................

Love the Advatar!!!!! :ph34r: THAT IS SO COOL! :o

ALIEN GEOCOINS GET THEM BEFORE THEY GET YOU CLICK HERE

:huh:

Let it not be said that you aren't absolutely relentless! You must be an investor in this project for you to take such an interest. I'd have thought you beat that horse to death weeks ago!

I have something to say, I think I'll beat you over the head with it!

Edited by Rubiconlwb