Cache Labels

Budlaw

I have just adopted a cache. My first.

I am considering placing the official geocaching label on the cache box but looking at Finger Technology's web site it appears that it would cost me £2 or thereabouts for a medium sized label (Hmm, ok, wont argue with that - Import Duty etc!!) but then a whopping £5+ for packaging.

Cannot see how this can be justified other than it being a 'closed market.'

Is it my Yorkshire breeding which causes me to wonder why it cannot be popped into an envelope and dispatched at the cost of a normal 1st or 2nd class stamp?

Edited by Budlaw

Thanks. Yes. That is what I have used on the container now. Was just considering looking 'official!' But looks like that comes at a price.

It's not any cheaper over here. Several items cost more to ship than to purchase. gc.com has addressed this topic in the past, I'll see if I can find that posting.

Best thing is to team up on purchases and share the shipping cost.

Thanks. Yes. That is what I have used on the container now. Was just considering looking 'official!' But looks like that comes at a price.

It's not any cheaper over here. Several items cost more to ship than to purchase. gc.com has addressed this topic in the past, I'll see if I can find that posting.

Best thing is to team up on purchases and share the shipping cost.

Your suggestion about teaming up was an idea that had passed through my mind. Thanks for confirming that it is a sound proposition.

I am considering placing the official geocaching label on the cache box but looking at Finger Technology's web site it appears that it would cost me £2 or thereabouts for a medium sized label (Hmm, ok, wont argue with that - Import Duty etc!!) but then a whopping £5+ for packaging.

I can solve the problem.If you come down south for a days caching and do GCNM35 and the other local

caches,you will be able to collect the labels personally. :laughing: (email the owner 1st of course)

I thought the same thing, the postage is too costly. So I make my own on my PC. They look exactly like the original, and I can put whatever text I want on the label. The only difference, is that I have to put my own adhesive on them. Good Luck

You could also use sticky label sheets.

There are a few stickers still in stock for the new shop opening here in the UK and the shipping is more than reasonable. Depending on the size and number you want postage will be between .50 and £1.00

Right now they are mainly sold at events but let me know what you are interested in and I can give you the prices. They are mailed out the same day the order is placed so you should have them within 48 hours.

Lynn

If you want my opinion, no, well you are getting it anyway. The problem is that the seller does need to make a profit and costs needs to be paid for. Unless we minimise costs by bulk buying, producing locally and bulk shipping, and someone retails the products for the love of it rather than a profit items will remain costly. The problem is that we are not a large customer base.

If you want my opinion, no, well you are getting it anyway. The problem is that the seller does need to make a profit and costs needs to be paid for. Unless we minimise costs by bulk buying, producing locally and bulk shipping, and someone retails the products for the love of it rather than a profit items will remain costly. The problem is that we are not a large customer base.

Why start your reply in an aggressive manner?

It is apparent from other replies that if some vendors of these labels are going to charge £5 for postage and other a quarter of that and they also sell the goods for half the price of others then the majority will go for the cheaper option or pay reluctantly. Okay we are talking a cheap label but what happens when we want the larger item - where will we go then? Foresight is useful. Speculate to accumulate! Why is supermarket bread so cheap??

I'm not paying £4.50 for someone to pick something off a shelf and pop it into a bulk bought envelope if I don't have to.

I would be interested to know where you shop and buy your petrol etc. If you say that price isn't an issue with you then fine Harvey Nicks will welcome you with open arms and sell you as many labels as you want and put them in a fancy bag.

I am not trying to be objectionable but its no good the seller banging his drum if he is out of tune with the buyer because the latter will find another drummer.

Best wishes, friend

Why start your reply in an aggressive manner?

My apologies, it was not trying to be aggressive. I was just jesting, but I suppose I should have added a smiley to make that obvious. As a general rule most people don't take me overly seriously.

I would be interested to know where you shop and buy your petrol etc. If you say that price isn't an issue with you then fine Harvey Nicks will welcome you with open arms and sell you as many labels as you want and put them in a fancy bag.

If that question is for me than I shop at a number of mainstream supermarkets and generally use the lower cost petrol stations that I have identified through pertolprices.com. I don't always go for the cheapest, but I don't always go for quality and convenience, I go for the compromise that is good for me.

I am not trying to be objectionable but its no good the seller banging his drum if he is out of tune with the buyer because the latter will find another drummer.

I can not argue with that, especially as it is basic market forces in action, the concept I was trying to highlight. The problem is that for a product with a small consumer base and such a low profit margin there is not great impulse to push in to this market sector. I think you mentioned it being a closed market earlier, and I put in context of market forces I don't think that is very far off the mark.

At the risk of provoking the usual suspects it would seem that as the GAGB have suggested what wording should be on the outside of cache containers and that many of us use the GAGBs contact number on the cache information sheets that perhaps the GAGB might be prepared to have some printed, if enough of us were prepared to pay up front.

I would have a preference for an A4 sheet with a selection of medium and small labels on it as I'm quite proficient with scissors now (Miss now lets me use the ones with pointy ends sometimes). After all several of the US area associations do something similar, as do the Australians. My preference would be for a simple generic label that would be plainly understandable to Cache-Takers (given that Cache-Destroyers probably don't read GeoCache labels anyway).

/Jango runs off to find his asbestos suite for the afternoon ;)

At the risk of provoking the usual suspects it would seem that as the GAGB have suggested what wording should be on the outside of cache containers and that many of us use the GAGBs contact number on the cache information sheets that perhaps the GAGB might be prepared to have some printed, if enough of us were prepared to pay up front.

This is not such a daft idea IMHO as if someone thinks the box is a bomb they are not going to open it. That being said if someone thinks it is a bomb then they will probably disarm it before checking in ti it's history.

I did have one cahce with the text on the outside as the request of the land owner, but that was muggled and is now a micro.

Personally I always find the word "Harmless" on a cache amusing as what dies it really achieve. For reference all my full size caches have the web site written on the outside, sometime with a request that the cache is not moved.

Nice simple solution, use a proper ammo box that will take paint nicely, after giving it the usual nice camo job cut a template and use some overspray.

Who needs stickers.

Thats a good paint job NK.I agree with paint over stickers too.

I also see you've camo-ed your hand too. :o

i used box 64 via their ebay account and found them very fast service and reasonable prices,cheap on postage which is where most others seem to bump it up.

That is actually where I have now bought a couple of labels from.

Obviously their own design but seem quite suitable. Thanks for your comment.