Mapsource Alternative?

ChrisDM

Hey all, is there an alternative software option to Mapsource City Navigator, or do I have to use Garmin software to load city maps on my new Venture Cx? I bought a Garmin topo map, and this will serve the unit's primary purpose, but I would like to have city coverage as well, and Garmin's maps are kinda pricey. I would like to be able to get directions to addessses etc...

Thanks,

Chris M

That is your only alternative, but you will save that much money in gas since the GPSr will direct you so much better than you will be able to direct yourself around unfamiliar areas. :laughing:

I beg to differ. I just picked up autorouting Metroguide 4.02 on eBay for $35 delivered to the house for my 60C backup unit...it will save gas $$$ though!

How up-to-date are the roads on that Metroguide software?

Even my City Select 6 is out-of-date in some areas . . . in fact, City Navigator 8 is already out-of-date . . . just not as bad . . . :laughing:

Well that I can't say for sure, I just got it, I think the copyright is 2001, but in my area we're already pretty built up and most of the roads have been around long enough to be included. We'll see as I travel further with it. :laughing: Regardless its an inexpensive way to get street level autorouting capability which I think is what the OP was looking for.

Consider that a brand new release of a version's data is in fact already about a year or more out-of-date when it's released. In some areas, it can be 5 years or even more out of date! This means that the NEW City Navigator 8 is missing some streets that have been there for years!

Then consider that MetroGuide 4 is in itself over four years old!

Navteq Data Reports, How Long Does It Take for New Information to Get into Garmin Maps?

Edited by Neo_Geo
I couldn't find any settings that would make my 60C recalculate sooner (other than forcing a recalc manually). Is it 'normal' for these units to wait a quarter mile or so to do a recalc? Each time it has taken a long time, I made my turn BEFORE the unit routing was directing me to if that makes any difference.

Firmware 4.10 and Metroguide USA 4.02 if that matters.

Yes, it matters. Metroguide is not set up for autorouting on the GPS.

Note, if you have your City Navigator maps installed on only one unit, then you can get a second unlock code at no charge so you can use it on the 60C in addition to your 60CSx

From another thread .... hope they are wrong or what you bought will not work. :sad: ImpalaBob

I couldn't find any settings that would make my 60C recalculate sooner (other than forcing a recalc manually). Is it 'normal' for these units to wait a quarter mile or so to do a recalc? Each time it has taken a long time, I made my turn BEFORE the unit routing was directing me to if that makes any difference.

Firmware 4.10 and Metroguide USA 4.02 if that matters.

Yes, it matters. Metroguide is not set up for autorouting on the GPS.

Note, if you have your City Navigator maps installed on only one unit, then you can get a second unlock code at no charge so you can use it on the 60C in addition to your 60CSx

From another thread .... hope they are wrong or what you bought will not work. :sad: ImpalaBob

It autoroutes fine, I was just surprised that it waited a quarter mile or so to recalculate when I go offroute, but no problems with autorouting, including going from MG4.02 maps to the basemap.

Am I understanding this right. The 60 waits as a standard design until you're a quarter of a mile off your route before it reaslizes it and recalculates? My PPC re-calculates usually in less than a block and even with that I sometime miss the next corrective turn f it's the next corner. What good is a 60 though if the recalculation waits so long?

I’ve had a couple 60C’s and a 60Cs with MetroGuide 4.02 loaded on them. They all autorouted just fine. I don’t remember taking a ¼ mile to auto-reroute. My 60CSx auto reroutes in a matter of seconds.

My biggest problem with MetroGuide 4.02 was the addresses. The majority of address in my (rural) area have been gradually changed to “911” address over the past several years to help emergency personal find addresses. The old MetroGuide fell way short because the roads are identified by numbers and now roads are identified by name and houses are numbered, like cities. CS v5 wasn’t much better, CS v7 was better and CN v8 is even better. So it’s not just an issue of updated highways. Remember, you get what you pay for!

Metroguide 4.02 was the last Metroguide version that would support autorouting. It autoroutes just fine. In fact in "off the pavement" (gravel or dirt roads) or rural road situations, it is always my "go to" choice. it is far superior to any newer version of MG or CS or CN. Hands down.

Edited by Alphawolf

Metroguide 4.02 was the last Metroguide version that would support autorouting. It autoroutes just fine. In fact in "off the pavement" (gravel or dirt roads) or rural road situations, it is always my "go to" choice. it is far superior to any newer version of MG or CS or CN. Hands down.

If you use a program like img2gps to upload your maps instead of mapsource, you can get autorouting with newer than metroguide 4.02. metroguide 7 has the same detail as city select 7 and is much cheaper and has no unlock codes. I am using metroguide 6 uploaded with img2gps and the autorouting works very well on my 60cx.