2gb MicroSD Is Here

zookc

I just installed a SanDisk 2GB microSD in my 60csx. I was able to load the complete City Navigator North America V8 into the card. CNv8 took 1.57GB, leaving 327MB free space (as shown by windows properties when connected as USB Mass Storage).

I purchased the card from a Verizon store at the local Circuit City. Price was $89.99 plus tax.

I just installed a SanDisk 2GB microSD in my 60csx. I was able to load the complete City Navigator North America V8 into the card. CNv8 took 1.57GB, leaving 327MB free space (as shown by windows properties when connected as USB Mass Storage).

I purchased the card from a Verizon store at the local Circuit City. Price was $89.99 plus tax.

So I guess you were the guinea pig to test these in the CSx for us. THANKS! And congrats for being the first kid on the block w/ a 2Gb card. How did you load it (straight into the CSx or cardreader) and how long did it take?

So I guess you were the guinea pig to test these in the CSx for us. THANKS! And congrats for being the first kid on the block w/ a 2Gb card. How did you load it (straight into the CSx or cardreader) and how long did it take?

I loaded using using the USB cable attach to the 60csx. It took about 2.5 hours.

I just don't see the reason to load up the entire U.S. and slow down the read speed of the GPS.

Is it confirmed that this will slow anything down? (other than the initial loading) I've seen no speed differences on my 60Cx whether I was using the stock 64MB card, or my 1GB card; and no speed differences whether I load the 1GB with 50 MB of maps or 800 MB of maps. I also ordered the 2 GB card and should have it Monday, and am really looking forward to never having to push US maps down to it again, until the next upgrade of CitySelect/CityNavigator.

Is it confirmed that this will slow anything down? (other than the initial loading)

You should do the test for us! I suspect that their sorting algorithms are really good, so "find nearest" works great regardless of total data but I'd guess that "find by name" would be slower. Also the vast number of results in "find by name" will hurt.

I found this past weekend that a feature I'd like would be "find by name in a specific direction" -- I don't wanna backtrack 30 miles.

And the reason you need the entire U.S. loaded in your GPS is....???? :D

I just don't see the reason to load up the entire U.S. and slow down the read speed of the GPS. Unless you work for the airlines and travel out-of-state every day, you just don't need it.

Because he can. :sad:

I suspect that their sorting algorithms are really good, so "find nearest" works great regardless of total data but I'd guess that "find by name" would be slower. Also the vast number of results in "find by name" will hurt.

That's a good point; I almost never use "find by name"...

Thanks Zookc for posting your results. I have a question / curiosity . Could you let me know how much free memory space was left over when it was all loaded up?

I think it's cool to be able to hop on a plane for business, and know that I don't have to check to make sure the map info is loaded for the area I'm traveling too... ;)

Edited by iNiq

Thanks Zookc for posting your results. I have a question / curiosity . Could you let me know how much free memory space was left over when it was all loaded up?

I think it's cool to be able to hop on a plane for business, and know that I don't have to check to make sure the map info is loaded for the area I'm traveling too... ;)

After loading CNv8 on the 2GB microSD there was 327MB free space (as shown by windows properties when connected as USB Mass Storage).

The only problem I found was limiting the number of segments (I have CSv7) on my 60CSx. I loaded all of the US and Canada east of Fargo, all of US Topo 24K East, and most of Topo East, as well as the tide charts for the East. There hasn't been ANY noticable slowdown as I've progress up to 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and now 2GB. Loading once sure beats the old methods.

The only problem I found was limiting the number of segments (I have CSv7) on my 60CSx. I loaded all of the US and Canada east of Fargo, all of US Topo 24K East, and most of Topo East, as well as the tide charts for the East. There hasn't been ANY noticable slowdown as I've progress up to 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and now 2GB. Loading once sure beats the old methods.

I have CSv7 as well, and hope to load the whole shebang into a 2GB card. Is there still a limit to the # of maps, even if the card/gps can hold that much memory? I thought Garmin raised that limitation a few Mapsource versions ago...

I have CSv7 as well, and hope to load the whole shebang into a 2GB card. Is there still a limit to the # of maps, even if the card/gps can hold that much memory? I thought Garmin raised that limitation a few Mapsource versions ago...

It wouldn't allow me more than 2025 segments total even though there was quite a bit of memory left. I'd been at 1.91GB with 2085 segments loaded...had to do some "erasing".

Well it appears Verizon has a 60 day monopoly on the 2gb cards, they are listing at 99.99 but they cut me 25% off for being active duty..sweet.

They (Verizon) did it for me too, although the rep was then told that they do not do the 25% on the TransFlash (microSD), but the let mine slide! $75, can't beat that!

~CMT

The thing that bothers me is that Mapsource first builds the map on your C drive before transferring to the 60csx, which means that to use a 2GB card you must have 2GB space on your C drive, which I haven't. Is there any way round this restriction?

Perhaps buy a bigger HD and use an APP like GHOST to image your drive to a bigger HD?

~CMT

The 60CSx is capable of using the NT version of City Navigator. The entire U.S. will fit on a 1GB card using that version. Just a FYI.............

For what it's worth to anyone, I live just south of Cleveland and I too was able to pick up a 2 gig micro SD card from Verizon today. I went into a local Verizon store and told them that I've been reading online (this forum) that the cards are selling for $99 and some people are able to get a 25% discount. The guy at the counter went in the back to see if they had any cards in stock and walked back with one. The price was $129.99! Too much for me at this time! Anyway, when I asked about any discount pricing he checked the computer and "hey" it's on sale for $99.99. Verizon isn't my cell provider and he never asked but I told him that I'm eligible through my employer for a discount on cell service and asked him if that would apply to accessories. As I showed him my employee ID he checked the screen and said "yep" and sold me the 2 gig card for $74.99 plus tax.

I installed the entire continental US on the card and so far it seems to work fine, I plan to use it on the road tomorrow to see if there are any problems.

Hope this helps someone who might be contemplating buying a card.

For what it's worth to anyone, I live just south of Cleveland and I too was able to pick up a 2 gig micro SD card from Verizon today. I went into a local Verizon store and told them that I've been reading online (this forum) that the cards are selling for $99 and some people are able to get a 25% discount. The guy at the counter went in the back to see if they had any cards in stock and walked back with one. The price was $129.99! Too much for me at this time! Anyway, when I asked about any discount pricing he checked the computer and "hey" it's on sale for $99.99. Verizon isn't my cell provider and he never asked but I told him that I'm eligible through my employer for a discount on cell service and asked him if that would apply to accessories. As I showed him my employee ID he checked the screen and said "yep" and sold me the 2 gig card for $74.99 plus tax.

I installed the entire continental US on the card and so far it seems to work fine, I plan to use it on the road tomorrow to see if there are any problems.

Hope this helps someone who might be contemplating buying a card.

Is it a ultra microSD card or a standard microSD card? Those it worth the extra money?

what happens if in the future we get 4 GB and we are allowed only max. of 2025 map segments?

Global warming, pestilence, famine, and meteors commence pummeling the earth with frightening force.

Or, we hope Garmin ups the map segment limit by that point. :( Though with 2 GB of memory, we can fit the entire DVD of any 1 of Garmin's map products. Loading more than 1 at a time becomes clunky as you have to enable/disable each map product on the GPS; you can't see more than one at one time anyway (for the same area). If Garmin is able to up the segments to some much higher number, and much larger memory cards do get released, I hope that Garmin does find a way to allow multiple maps to be shown over eachother at the same time, otherwise even unlimited memory isn't particularly useful.

I have the 512 mb card for my Lowrance - but my stupid (2 year old) laptop can't load a 500 mB map onto it! I have to build maps one at a time of under 250 mB or the computer loses it's mind!

Probably need more RAM - the boss says I get a new computer this fall, so we'll see.