Bad Rest Area Caches

Haffy

It seems there is a certain cache that is not very family friendly and is located on a major route along coastal Maine. I was wondering if other states have the same type of cache and what they did about it?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCW1PE

It is very disturbing that despite efforts on other cachers part that the owner still refuses to do anything about it. We are hoping that something is done soon. What are your thoughts? And yes I know people don't have to go to find it either but sometimes cachers don't have all the info at their disposal either and vacationers would certainly get the wrong message about other rest area caches if this is what takes place.

It looks like something is being done about it.

True but only after repeated emails by other cachers to the owner had taken place without any response from them. I still can't understand why they wouldnt have removed it voluntarily. I know if I had any complaints at all on my cache it would have been removed immediately.

Edited by haffy
True but only after repeated emails by other cachers to the owner had taken place without any response from them. I still can't understand why they wouldnt have removed it voluntarily. I know if I had any complaints at all on my cache it would have been removed immediately.

There is no way I would remove that cache. Why just give up this great location to be used for illegal activities.

Instead, you should call the local police and get them involved. While you are at it, you and your friends should stop by every day and roast hamburgers. Bring a frisbee and toss it around. The more you use the land for good activities, the less they will use it for bad activities.

There is no way I would remove that cache. Why just give up this great location to be used for illegal activities.

Instead, you should call the local police and get them involved. While you are at it, you and your friends should stop by every day and roast hamburgers. Bring a frisbee and toss it around. The more you use the land for good activities, the less they will use it for bad activities.

That is a good suggestion but in my case I live over an hour away.

It seems there is a certain cache that is not very family friendly and is located on a major route along coastal Maine. I was wondering if other states have the same type of cache and what they did about it?

It is very disturbing that despite efforts on other cachers part that the owner still refuses to do anything about it. We are hoping that something is done soon. What are your thoughts? And yes I know people don't have to go to find it either but sometimes cachers don't have all the info at their disposal either and vacationers would certainly get the wrong message about other rest area caches if this is what takes place.

Man, I wish I could remember that line from the movie "There's something about Mary", and highway rest stops. :( Either way though, there have been several "caches in gay cruising area" forum threads over the years, and it looks like the one in question does indeed have a reviewer note right now.

All you would have to do is log an SBA. That would get the owner's and reviewer's attention. Even a needs maintenance log might have worked.

I agree that the problem is not the cache, are we supposed to stop placing caches in rest areas because somebody decides to use it for illegal activities.

How about a cache attribute for pickle parks?

Man, I wish I could remember that line from the movie "There's something about Mary", and highway rest stops. :( Either way though, there have been several "caches in gay cruising area" forum threads over the years, and it looks like the one in question does indeed have a reviewer note right now.

You mean this one:

Ted's therapist: You know rest areas are homosexual hangouts.

Ted: hmm?

Ted's therapist: Highway rest areas, they're the bath houses of the 90's for many, many, many, many gay men.

Glad I could help.

On the way to Florida from Ohio, we stopped at some Rest Area caches. They rest areas were clean, up-kept, and in some cases security personel on duty 24/7!

But to change the topic for a quick second

<change topic a little bit>

There is this one park up the street that is known for drugs and a gay hangout. But new caches pop up all the time there! It's like people really don't care what happens to other cachers when out on the hunt :( . Which is sad.

</change topic a little bit>

So my point is, some cache owners really don't care.

Lots of cache placement sites are used for illegal or potentially illegal activities or at least for activities wich some or many would find socially-distasteful or socially-offensive. In such cases, I see no reason for the cache owner to be obliged to take any action nor to remove such a cache, BUT -- as I have stated many times in the past -- I DO believe that the cache owner should do the following on the cache listing page:

• assign an appropriately high Terrain rating to reflect hazards, risks or aversiveness factor
  • clearly and explicitly state -- in a prominent place on the page -- that the site is often used for one or more illegal and/or unappealing activities

For an example of how this is done for a real-life cache located in a setting which offers a wide range of illicit or undergorund activities, you may wish to take a look at the cache listing page for our famous and infamous Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis, located in a very active real-life urban park, resplendent (??? :D:( ) with all of the phenomena which have been found in busy urban parks since time immemorial. :( . And, for contrast, to see a the listing page for a cache located in the same park, but without the courtesy warnings and with neither the appropriate Terrain rating nor attribute icons, you may wish to see the cache listing page for GPS Check, a virtual cache located 500 feet from our cache listed above.

Now I ask you: which type of cache listing page would you prefer to read before heading into such a setting?

I realize there is no medical evidence to back up what I am about to say...so this is all my own personal phobia.

The part that would creep me out the most is the fact that there are so many posts about getting eaten alive by mosquitos. I know other diseases can be transmitted through bites. If I was in an area that was loaded with mosquitos, and was also frequented with drug users, or the types of behavior at this park, I wouldn't be able to help being creeped out a bit...

You mean this one:

Ted's therapist: You know rest areas are homosexual hangouts.

Ted: hmm?

Ted's therapist: Highway rest areas, they're the bath houses of the 90's for many, many, many, many gay men.

Glad I could help.

Just the last line I was looking for. But good, thanks.

There is a park around here that was originally geared for mountain bikers but of course the pickle parkers started taking over. Between the bikers refusing to 'give up' their spot and a whole wad of cachers deciding to 'take back' the area by placing a bunch of caches and promoting more visitors, I think it may have had an impact on the amount of, uh, 'unwanted activity' happening in the woods. I can't say for sure because I haven't cached in there yet, but I thought I'd mention it.....

I know this problem is not just found in rest areas, it can happen just about anywhere that there is a slightly secluded, convenient place to park and walk into the woods.

I definitely agree with writing about the 'risk' in the cache description, let people know what they're getting into before they get there. I certainly know that I'd appreciate a heads up so I could watch for what I might be stepping in (literally). :(

Oh, I googled about the Hep C transfer from mosquitoes, and the Center for Disease Control says "no."

Q: Is it possible that HCV could be transmitted through the bite of a mosquito or other blood sucking arthropods, especially in third world countries?

A: Hepatitis C virus has not been shown to be transmitted by mosquitoes or other arthropods.

Recently, I was looking at some cache descriptions for some roadside caches several miles away and saw that several had the same problem as an this thread...except in these, the men were looking for women. Same kinds of posts, same conditions, and yet no one wondered about mosquito bites transmitting diseases. Fortunately we don't have that many mosquitos in So Cal.

The topic of pickle parks has come up repeatedly in these forums.

A few of my favorite caches happen to be located at known pickle parks. As long as you are aware of the situation and act accordingly, they can be viable locations for cache placements.

It's probably about time for a new "pickle" attribute for cache pages.

A few of my favorite caches happen to be located at known pickle parks. As long as you are aware of the situation and act accordingly, they can be viable locations for cache placements.

We had a rest area in our area that was developing quite a reputation for this.

Then one day, the State Patrol decided that they needed a new place to put their new local headquarters. Rather than finding or building an expensive office downtown, they built an office in an unused corner of the rest area in question. Solved that problem immediatly.

Now that I have been thinking about it...does anyone know if it would be possble to for something like Hep C to transferred by a mosquito bite?

Just curious.

Nope, or at least very very unlikely. Hep C and HIV reside for hardly any length of time inside a mosquito. Mosquitoes very rarely go from person to person ... they tend to feed and then rest for a while, and by the time they wish to re-feed, either virus has long gone. Additonally, insects don't get infected by the virus. It was once thought that mosquitoes were a natural reservoir of HepC, but not anymore.

Now that I have been thinking about it...does anyone know if it would be possble to for something like Hep C to transferred by a mosquito bite?

Just curious.

Nope, or at least very very unlikely. Hep C and HIV reside for hardly any length of time inside a mosquito. Mosquitoes very rarely go from person to person ... they tend to feed and then rest for a while, and by the time they wish to re-feed, either virus has long gone. Additonally, insects don't get infected by the virus. It was once thought that mosquitoes were a natural reservoir of HepC, but not anymore.

Agreed. This seems to be a valid statement. Before this post popped up I had concerns about the "information" provided by the poster who can't even spell mosquitoes. So I checked and found a source I do trust. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention:

AIDS does not spread through conversation, casual contact, sharing of personal belongings, dining at the same table, or using the same bathroom or swimming pool with HIV-infected persons. And it also does not spread through mosquito bites like many people may fear.

We had a rest area in our area that was developing quite a reputation for this.

Then one day, the State Patrol decided that they needed a new place to put their new local headquarters. Rather than finding or building an expensive office downtown, they built an office in an unused corner of the rest area in question. Solved that problem immediatly.

Funny, I just heard on the radio a day or two ago that the Vermont State Police were putting offices in two rest areas on I-89.

Oh, I googled about the Hep C transfer from mosquitoes, and the Center for Disease Control says "no."

Q: Is it possible that HCV could be transmitted through the bite of a mosquito or other blood sucking arthropods, especially in third world countries?

A: Hepatitis C virus has not been shown to be transmitted by mosquitoes or other arthropods.

Hey, I knew I was invisible! :laughing:

Hey, I knew I was invisible! :laughing:

I saw your post, and my question was answered then. :laughing:

to answer the original question, Yes. Oh yes indeed. There have been a bunch that I have encountered here in Oregon, some on a drive from Durham, NC to Nashville, TN and a couple on the way from St Louis, MO to Springfield, Il. It's just part of the game. They all gave me a break from the drive, and I'll never have to go back to them again...unless there's a bug to move or something.

We had a rest area on I-75 north of Pontiac, Mi. (South bound side) that had a wooded area that had this same reputation. There was a great wooded area with trails that would have been great for a cache. When the rest area was redone a few years ago the wooded area was fenced off and no trespassing signs put up on the fence.

The fence seems to have fixed it, as the meetings are no longer taking place but we also lost one great place for a cache or two.

Jim

Kc8bdr

My husband drives a truck, and used to drive over-the-road. He'll tell you that while some rest areas have a worse reputation than others, any rest area has the potential to house illegal activity of various types.

We (people) enjoy rest areas, for all the right reasons--to use the facilities, to stretch our legs, to hide geocaches, to walk our dogs, to telephone someone to say we are getting near (those few folks who still don't have cell phones), to pick up a map, to see where we are on their map, to drop off the trash we've accumulated on our trip, to get a drink or a snack, or even to take a quick nap if we've been driving too long. So we need to be able to access those rest areas without fear of harassment from drug dealers, prostitutes, and other nefarious characters.

I read the cache logs. It sounds like the rest area has gotten very scary. If only one or two people had complained, I might think they were just overly sensitive or timid, but cacher after cachers has said it was "creepy" "nasty" "not a great place to be" and so forth.

OK, but it ought to be a nice place to do all those things I said people do at rest areas. Taking the cache out of that rest area is similar to a neighborhood admitting that while they don't really like having a crack house on the corner, there isn't anything they can do about it, except move away.

You locals really ought to call the police every time you go there and see something that ought not be there. In fact, you should call now and report the things you've already seen. They may not listen to the first call, they may not listen to the fifth, but eventually, they will listen. Call the local radio and television stations, and see if you can't stir up some interest in a story on the problem. Call the nearest division of tourism and industry (or whatever you have like that in your area) and remind them that out-of-state tourists are judging your area by what they see there. Call the state Department of Transportation (if that is who manages the rest areas in your neck of the woods, and tell them they need more workers in that rest area--or some if they have none) to run off some of the people engaging in undesirable behaviors.

Oh yeah, and I noticed that it looks like the cache is the first cache put out by really new geocachers. You locals may want to invite them to an event, or at least drop them a line, and make sure they realize you folks really do like the cache, and you all realize the rest of it is no fault of their doing. It would really be awful to feel like all the locals have banded together to shut down your first geocache.

Wow. I've never seen a Reviewer threaten to archive a cache based upon this:

"Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not one to attract geocachers to locations known to cause discomfort."

I'm assuming this new application of the guidelines applies to homeless encampments, trash dumps, the barrio, and micros in very public places. These are all locations know to cause discomfort to a number of cachers.

Edited by JimmyEv
Wow. I've never seen a Reviewer threaten to archive a cache based upon this:

"Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not one to attract geocachers to locations known to cause discomfort."

I'm assuming this new application of the guidelines applies to homeless encampments, trash dumps, the barrio, and micros in very public places. These are all locations know to cause discomfort to a number of cachers.

... or any cache that is too hard to find or required a long walk. Those caches definitely cause me discomfort. :sad:

I think the reviewer is out of line in this case.

The cache is fine. It's a big world we live in. All kinds of people fill it. Some who do things you don't like. They may also do those things near a cache. It has nothing to do with the cache.

The real question is does the cache owner have any obligation to report that they are aware the rest area is used as a pickle park. Personally I think it would be nice, but I'd not make it mandatory. Thanks to geocaching I actually know what a pickle park is.

As an aside last night events happened in my neighborhood that made me decide that a Scanner would be a good investment. There is nothing like waking up at 4:30am to very loud noises that have no simple explanation and for which you have no clue what's going on. Maybe it was nothing but a strange, maybe it was a police raid on a meth lab. Regardless the only difference between a random unplesant event and a repeating unpleasant event is that for the latter you could (when you become aware of it) give a little warning.

Also by reading the logs it's fairly clear it's a pickle park. Another good reason to read the logs. A warning does nothing for those to cache blind with just the waypoints.

My 2.5 cents.

Hey, I knew I was invisible! :sad:

I saw that, too, and in my heart of hearts I know that this is true. Still, it creeps me out to think about it.

Ok, on this same topic, I have another question. Maybe it has already been answered, but I didn't see it.

How are HIV and Hep C transmission different from West Nile Virus?

If all 3 are viruses, why does one readily transfer with a mosquito bite, and the other 2 virus' don't? In WNV, do the mosquitos actually contract, or carry the disease itself, or is it a blood contamination transmission?

If the mosquitos actually carry WNV, then that explains the difference.

If all 3 are viruses, why does one readily transfer with a mosquito bite, and the other 2 virus' don't? In WNV, do the mosquitos actually contract, or carry the disease itself, or is it a blood contamination transmission?

This is going to be an auspicious first post, I think.

Viruses are generally pretty host-specific -- they can infect and live in (or take over) only very specific types of cells, which means that they usually can't cross species. (You don't hear about people contracting tobacco mosaic virus, for example). Some viruses, though, are less "choosy" about their host cells. West Nile Virus is one of those. WNV is carried mainly in wild birds (the birds are actually infected with WNV and will eventually die from it). Some (but not all) species of mosquitos are also susceptible to WNV and contract the disease when they bite the wild birds. Unfortunately, humans, horses, poultry, alligators and some other species are also susceptible, so when an infected mosquito bites one of these hosts, the disease may be transmitted. Not all species of mosquitos are susceptible to WNV, but enough are that it's a public health concern.

AIDS, heptatitis C and most other viruses cannot infect mosquito cells, so the virus cannot be transmitted through a mosquito bite. As common as AIDS and hep C are (and as common as mosquitos are), it's a good thing because if they could be transmitted by mosquitos, it wouldn't take long for virtually everyone in temperate or tropical climates to become infected!

Mosquitos are a lot more likely to spread bacterial infections than they are to spread viruses.

Ok, on this same topic, I have another question. Maybe it has already been answered, but I didn't see it.

How are HIV and Hep C transmission different from West Nile Virus?

Exactly correct! Mosquitoes do become infected with West Nile Virus, dengue fever, Encephalitis, yellow fever, and malaria and pass them along through their saliva. They do not become infected with HIV. Further, the HIV virus is a blood born disease and is not passed along in the saliva of mosquitoes.

There is some speculation that otherwise unexplained Hepatitis cases may be caused by mosquitoes, and at least a couple of studies have shown that the virus will bind to mosquito cells in the lab. But at this time there are no documented case of a mosquito found the wild with the virus --and dozens of studies have been done. Most experts agree infection is extremely unlikely even if a mosquito went directly from an infected person to a second person (which they don't) because of the mechanics of mosquito bites.

How to solve a pickle park situation:

- Plant poison ivy in the tryst areas.

- Plant nettles there too

- get concentrated habenero powder, spread around any obvious "horizontal closeness" locations.

- Leave road kill in the area

- get skunk scent and spray it all over the area

Then get the heck out.

(not actually advocating doing any of these... but a person can THINK about it... ) :)

I agree, and I have done just that, even though it's not my cache and I live 3 hours away. The State Police referred me to the the Maine Department of transportation. If I don't hear from them by next Friday, it goes to the media.

Edited by Kacky

Boy, talk about hijacking a thread. I start on Bad Rest area caches and we end up talking about mosquitoe transmission diseases.

Ha! You're getting off easy. You usually can't start a "cache in gay cruising area" thread, without someone calling most of the posters homophobes, and derailing the thread in that direction. Something tells me I shouldn't have typed that. ;)

The cache is fine. It's a big world we live in. All kinds of people fill it. Some who do things you don't like. They may also do those things near a cache. It has nothing to do with the cache.

I think we can safely draw the line at public sex.

Boy, talk about hijacking a thread. I start on Bad Rest area caches and we end up talking about mosquitoe transmission diseases.

Ha! You're getting off easy. You usually can't start a "cache in gay cruising area" thread, without someone calling most of the posters homophobes, and derailing the thread in that direction. Something tells me I shouldn't have typed that. ;)

Anyone who makes this thread about gay vs straight is just trying to derail the discussion.