Top French Cacher

There are a couple of definitions of who might be the top French Geocacher... is it defined by the number of caches found in France (relatively difficult, as its a large country that only recently hit 1000 caches), or is it a Geocacher who lives in France with the largest number of finds. I would argue that its the former not the latter. Since a visit to my parents in the North of England would certainly improve my stats.

As such it would be "WarCat " (Olivier) who has found 309 caches in France currently. A couple of days ago he blitzed 15 caches of mine in the Loire in a 4x4 :-) (I must find more remote places to hide them).

Paul

There are a couple of definitions of who might be the top French Geocacher... is it defined by the number of caches found in France (relatively difficult, as its a large country that only recently hit 1000 caches), or is it a Geocacher who lives in France with the largest number of finds. I would argue that its the former not the latter. Since a visit to my parents in the North of England would certainly improve my stats.

As such it would be "WarCat " (Olivier) who has found 309 caches in France currently. A couple of days ago he blitzed 15 caches of mine in the Loire in a 4x4 :-) (I must find more remote places to hide them).

Paul

CORRECT!!!!

Paul

CORRECT!!!!

I have the good answer, what I gain ?? :)

actualy for me, 360 caches only in France, and 645 total

For SteamTraen 287 in France, and 950 Total

and happy GeoCaching... :D

Edited by WarCat

I didn't know you had a 4x4 Olivier..??!! I just know you drive like if you would.. :)

Thanks to Son of Windswept (Paul) I could reach the number 3 position in France (with only 184 caches), since he placed many caches before I went to Touraine on 'pelerinage'.

Olivier and Nick are far beyond my reach.. ever! They're way too active!!!

Edited by batla

Until recently I used to kid Olivier (WarCat) that I was ahead of him on the French table as well, because although he had about 10 French finds more than me, he had 40 more to choose from (because I've placed nearly 50 and he's placed less than 10).

However, I must now bow my head in recognition of the 100 or so caches he's found in the last month, by touring round most of the northern half of the country. I know he will have had a steely glint in his eye at the wheel of his Clio. I just hope he didn't drive off from any of the caches and accidentally leave his girlfriend behind.

I'm still about 300 ahead of him on total GC.com logged finds, mostly because I started caching about 14 months before him (in fact, he started the game when he saw me demonstrating geocaching on local TV).

To my surprise, I've found almost as many as him in the last 16 months, but I don't know how long I can keep that up. Olivier is a baker by trade, so he works from 10pm to 4am and has time more or less every day from when he gets up to evening, to go caching. I hope to be the first "French" cacher to hit 1000 finds, but I expect he will reach 2000 about a year before I do!

Meanwhile, geocaching in France goes from strength to strength. Less than 18 months ago there were less than 500 caches in the whole country, of which probably 400 placed by non-residents, and perhaps 20 active players at most. Now there are 1100 caches, it's hard to get holiday caches approved (which is as it should be; they have a huge attrition rate), and there are nearly 200 players signed up on the (superb) geocaching-france.com site.

Thanks to Son of Windswept (Paul) I could reach the number 3 position in France (with only 184 caches), since he placed many caches before I went to Touraine on 'pelerinage'.

More to come, unfortunately have been somewhat locked up with work, and also raising a kitten that a friend found. Two weeks old when he arrived, and needed bottle feeding every 4 hours. Now he's 8 weeks old and fully weaned, ready to get his first vaccinations. So hopefully will have some more time to place some more.

Time for some variety I think after the initial trads.... Anyone in France interested in evil puzzle caches?

Paul

Anyone in France interested in evil puzzle caches?

I'd suggest keeping them for later. Most people who find your caches will be tourists for now, and they will tend to load up their kit with easy trads.

When I go on a trip which may involve caching, I do look for mysteries which can be done at home before I set off, as long as the final bit is straightforward, and I can get confirmation of the puzzle solution before I go. But I think I'm in the minority there.

One thing to avoid in most cases, is big complex multis. I'd suggest waiting until there are 10 active cachers within 20km before placing those (so in your case, don't hold your breath!).