Routable Trails?

I'm a newbie to GPS but here goes. I have a Garmin 60CSx and US topo 24 National Parks West. I'm trying to map out our hiking trip to Glacier National Park. I have no trouble routing the trails for our hikes using Mapsource. After I transfer them to my Garmin, they all show under my Routes menu. Then when I press Map all I get are straight lines from point to point. Shouldn't I see the trails like I've routed them in Mapsource? Any help would be appreciated <_<

Routes are more suitable for autorouting using street mapping like City Select or City Navigator. For what you're planning to do I would create Tracks. You can create a track having up to 250 trackpoints per track, and a total of 20 saved tracks. This way you can drop points where you need them along your "route" on the trail.

I'm a newbie to GPS but here goes. I have a Garmin 60CSx and US topo 24 National Parks West. I'm trying to map out our hiking trip to Glacier National Park. I have no trouble routing the trails for our hikes using Mapsource. After I transfer them to my Garmin, they all show under my Routes menu. Then when I press Map all I get are straight lines from point to point. Shouldn't I see the trails like I've routed them in Mapsource? Any help would be appreciated :laughing:

Use the routing tool to add waypoints wherever the trial changes directions. The route will then follow the waypoints you've added.

Wait a second. I don't own Topo 24k, but I also understood that they have routable trails, routable on both the GPS and the computer. When you press Map, it shows a straight line. However, when you try to "Navigate" the trails, it should draw you a route along the trail. The Garmin 60 series does not build routes until you tell it to navigate. If you pressed "map" on a highway route, it would also show a straight line until you told it to navigate. However, just to make sure you are set up correctly, make sure routing is set to "follow road" not "off road" (off road will just give you a straight line). Also make sure you included route calculation data--it is a check box on the "maps" tab on MapSource. It is required on City Select/City Nav, and I assume it is required on 24K Topo. If it is not checked, you will need to check it and resend your maps to the GPS unit.

Anyway, try that and let us know how it worked out!

... to make sure you are set up correctly, make sure routing is set to "follow road" not "off road" (off road will just give you a straight line).

As I often switch between off-road and road navigation, I leave this setting on "prompt". Takes just one additional click to get what I want and keeps me from having to go back in, drill down and make the change in setup.

Thanks CenRex Dodger. I didn't know pressing map would only give me a straight line. When I press navigate the Garmin tries to navigate but can't from here. I,m a 1000 miles from the Park. Is there a trick to make it think it is at a starting point in the Park. If not I will try it out there and let you know how it worked out. If you don't here back asume a grizzly had me over for lunch :laughing:

Thanks CenRex Dodger. I didn't know pressing map would only give me a straight line. When I press navigate the Garmin tries to navigate but can't from here. I,m a 1000 miles from the Park. Is there a trick to make it think it is at a starting point in the Park. If not I will try it out there and let you know how it worked out. If you don't here back asume a grizzly had me over for lunch :laughing:

Try this--Put your unit into DEMO mode (I don't have mine here, so I am going form memory)--From the main menu, setup, system, gps mode-demo mode. Then go to the satellite page, press menu, and do a "change location" and "use map". Find an area on the map very near the start of your trail, and press enter. Now, go to your trail route and tell it to "navigate", and see what happens. You are basically tricking it into thinking you are at the Park, and since it is in Demo mode, it won't think otherwise. It will also route in demo mode.

Thanks CenRex Dodger. I didn't know pressing map would only give me a straight line. When I press navigate the Garmin tries to navigate but can't from here. I,m a 1000 miles from the Park. Is there a trick to make it think it is at a starting point in the Park. If not I will try it out there and let you know how it worked out. If you don't here back asume a grizzly had me over for lunch :(

Try this--Put your unit into DEMO mode (I don't have mine here, so I am going form memory)--From the main menu, setup, system, gps mode-demo mode. Then go to the satellite page, press menu, and do a "change location" and "use map". Find an area on the map very near the start of your trail, and press enter. Now, go to your trail route and tell it to "navigate", and see what happens. You are basically tricking it into thinking you are at the Park, and since it is in Demo mode, it won't think otherwise. It will also route in demo mode.

You Da Man. It works great. Can't wait to get on the trail!

Thanks CenRex Dodger. I didn't know pressing map would only give me a straight line. When I press navigate the Garmin tries to navigate but can't from here. I,m a 1000 miles from the Park. Is there a trick to make it think it is at a starting point in the Park. If not I will try it out there and let you know how it worked out. If you don't here back asume a grizzly had me over for lunch :D

You Da Man. It works great. Can't wait to get on the trail!

Great! I am glad I could help you out. That is one of the selling points of those 24K Topos is that they have routable trails. I am glad it worked. Have fun, and don't turn into a bear turd :(:(