Is There A National Geocoin Maga Event?

avroair

to allow for cheap stays, you have one Thursday night and one Friday night. By averaging the two in the low season, the price should still be reasonable. Lets say you have a 49 and 150 rate, that is only 100 night. But I am sure with a big event, a big hotel might be willing to give a good deal. Just be careful in committing too much.

Personally, I have a conflict on the 10th I may be able to change, but I really need to know soon so I can change it ;).

nielsenc

I will be talking to some folks next week as well as doing some additional research on rooms. It has been my experience that if I call a hotel at 1:00 I get one rate, when my buddy calls the same hotel 15 minutes later, we get another rate. Also, a few minutes of friendly chat and we get the lower rate. One just never knows.

So, we will do the research and legwork here and get the best rates we can find for as close as we can get to 1000 people. It may be a hotel that will give us a meeting room at no cost. We will know more in the next two weeks.

The nexty question is what are people going to do here? Our thoughts have been towards coin displays & trade show, cache runs, poker runs, and a few other games.

We are also thinking of centralizing the coin swap. Folks can check in thier "extra" coins then pick up the coins later from thier wish list. We are considering things like swapping by mail for those that cannot attend, and pre-registration of coin to be made.

Still more legwork on the way.

I have enough comps to cover a several night hotel stay. So am not worried about room rates so much. Just really need to know the exact dates so I know IF I can go or not. I hate to get my hopes up and make plans only to find out the dates won't work. So far the suggested November and December dates work fine. Tho personally, I like November better. That time of year in Vegas is great for day caching, temps wise ;)

Best days to go... Sunday through Tuesday - room rates are cheaper, less crowded and payouts are better, but I understand the need to do it on a weekend so that more people can attend.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Oh I am all over a Vegas coin event!

I planned a Vegas family Reunion in Feb. It was only 107 people (82 rooms) and we still got a great hotel price and the hotel hosted us at a dinner in one of the party rooms. We stayed at Treasure Island. So they would probably be all over a group of 1000!

December is hard to get away. (But I will do my best, whatever the date!) But it is cheaper. We did it in Feb because it is still cheap and a little easier to get away and still somewhat cool.

The nexty question is what are people going to do here? Our thoughts have been towards coin displays & trade show, cache runs, poker runs, and a few other games.

The Grand Canyons is only a few hours drive away. If some folks are making this a vacation rather than just a 2 day trip, it can be a fun thing to do. (or, just take a helicopter trip)

Las Vegas is always a great spot and any of the hotels would help with the event and even for Las Vegas a single group of 500-1000 people will get the attention of the hotels. I have rooms comped at all the Harrah's owned hotels , (Ceasar's, Bally's, Paris, Rio, Horseshoe, of course Harrah's) so that's where I would I would stay.

I'm pretty sure that they would help with other events in addition to the geo event such as poker or slot tournaments as well as a meal more than likely. They know once you're there you will spend money.

I hope it works out!

The next question is what are people going to do here?

Still more legwork on the way.

Don't worry too much about entertaining. I typically rent a car for a day and spend at least 1 day of my trip caching in the surrounding area. I also love roulette and my 7s blazing wild $1 slot. I think there are now 3 newer Cirque shows playing that I have not yet seen. I don't need any entertainment, honest :laughing:

Just pick some dates soon... gotta plan :laughing:

We love roulette players. They built Las Vegas :) We will stick with the blackjack for the best odds of winning. But each to their own!! We are paying to be entertained. Hope this event takes place and will attend any time after October.

Hey Cog&Gil...Blackjack?...Now we're talkin! Hope to see ya there, along with some more AZ cachers! :D

We love roulette players. They built Las Vegas :) We will stick with the blackjack for the best odds of winning. But each to their own!! We are paying to be entertained. Hope this event takes place and will attend any time after October.

Hey Cog&Gil...Blackjack?...Now we're talkin! Hope to see ya there, along with some more AZ cachers! :D

Oh yeah that is my game.....I'll be burning up the tables!!

I like MGM hotels it is were I have the most comps since we used to play in Biloxi more than we play in Vegas.

As much as I'd like to meet so many people from these boards, I just can't get excited about a coin-focused event.

Have fun y'all.

The focus is whatever you make of it. Quit being so grumpy! How many events have you been to where everyone settles for the whole day at the Pavillion (nevermind, don't answer that!). I for one would use the time away to go caching in some surrounding areas and then drop in on the event for an afternoon of trading etc. There is plenty to do in Vegas besides trading coins (or coin numbers) all weekend. :D Just remember:

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! :)

I'm not grumpy, I just look that way. :)

<--- This is what happened to me the last time I went to Vegas! I'm only 35 years old!!!

You make a good point, though. There's no reason that the whole trip has to be focused on coins. Could use the time to go caching, drops some personals out of my home area, etc.

I'll keep a watch on things.

I have a meeting scheduled with some local event planners so we can avoid conflicts with all the other events and conferences that happen in Las Vegas. So far, November is too early and late December is family time. Or most popular options are February/March or Next July. Given these options, what would you folks prefer? Keep in mind... caching in July when it's 110 is not always fun for everyone and Feb-Apr is pretty busy around here (busy=popular=costs more for rooms).

Sounds like February is a popular request. We'll see what's available.

Next question... how would you incorporate travel bugs into this?

It's also wise to do a sign-in --- sign-out book to keep track of the bugs properly.

And a map of the US for those who don't know where some of the other states are located :D

A mega event, I have so wanted that icon and based around geocoins, how could you go wrong with the current craze. I think a trip to Vegas is in order for a new event icon and some coin trading. Keep the planning coming, I am there.

We'll still have to hit the 500 mark in order for you to get the icon. Since I'm in the Phoenix area, I think I'll be going in with a car/van/bus pool to get there... what ever size we need to get everyone, and save money on gas.

I am definitely going to make this event. Count me IN :)

I propose a geocoin poker game as well during the festivities. We held a geocoin poker game at MWGB, and it was a SMASHING success ;)

It was pretty simple. We played Texas Hold Em, and the buy-in was 3 geocoins. We played until one player was left, and then the top three finishers split the pot (coins) based on 50%, 30%, 20% of total coins. I volunteer to run this game, if it can be added to the schedule. And, of course, if there is enough interest in winning some geocoins and gambling ;)

WOOHOO :)

All the folks working to make this event happen are working on 2 coins 1 event coin and a Las Vegas coin on the front of the Las Vegas coin would be the Las Vegas sign saying Welcome to Las Vegas the apposing side would read now leaving Las Vegas Thanks for the CACHE :laughing: also the 2007 Nevada coin should be available at / for the event as well. Will post art work when its done. thanks ou8alizzard

All the folks working to make this event happen are working on 2 coins 1 event coin and a Las Vegas coin on the front of the Las Vegas coin would be the Las Vegas sign saying Welcome to Las Vegas the apposing side would read now leaving Las Vegas Thanks for the CACHE :rolleyes: also the 2007 Nevada coin should be available at / for the event as well. Will post art work when its done. thanks ou8alizzard

So, is this event on? If so is an event page up yet, could you post if so.

Gotta get tickets :anibad:

OK OK let me see if I have this right. Is someone setting up a mega-coin/caching event for Feb. 2007??? If so please set it up for the 24th through the 3rd of March lol. I will be out there with my soon to be wife (kimbyJ, also a cacher) on our honeymoon at that time to do caching out there and some off-roading and it would really top it off if I could go to a huge coin event at the same time.

Duane

NOLEFAN9399