Can You Upload Waypoints To The Standard Yellow Etrex?

Yup; been there; have GSAK.

Was just curious if you could do it without any of the extra software. The manual mentions transfers from the PC, but not how to do it specifically.

(Just confirmed with Garmin tech support that you need some software, and they pointed me to gpsinformation.net for additional software applications to download.)

Yup; been there; have GSAK.

Was just curious if you could do it without any of the extra software. The manual mentions transfers from the PC, but not how to do it specifically.

(Just confirmed with Garmin tech support that you need some software, and they pointed me to gpsinformation.net for additional software applications to download.)

I am in the same boat!

help?!?!

I have etrex, GSAK, serial to usb, and etrex to serial cable.... how do I set it up? :angry:

EasyGPS or GSAK is needed. Connect the cable to the serial port of the computer. Open GSAK go to GPS>setup. Choose Garmin (GPS Type) Com1 (communiocation port) 9600 (port speed). Hit OK. Go to GPS send waypoint to transfer waypoints to the GPS. The GPS must be powered up. Since I use GSAK i'm not sure how EasyGPS is setup, but assuming it is the same.

Hope this helps

PS EasyGPS is freeware and GSAK is shareware (well worth the cost)

Edited by fhexplorers

Can you do it without any "additional" software? Or does software come with the cable (I got my cable second-hand, so don't know)?

I tried variations of copying files to the com port, with no success yet.

I recall your posting similar comments in another thread a while back.

You can't just stream waypoints (via NMEA $GPSWL, for example) through a serial port on a Garmin. The "Garmin Protocol" is message based, so you do need "additional software" to upload waypoints. Many free software support the Garmin Protocol, PC, Mac, Linux, etc.

I'm suspecting your persistence on asking this question is based on your using some unusual platform on your host side? Garmin Protocol specification is publicly available if you insist on writing your own software to do this.

I am wondering about this also. I have a basic yellow Garmin eTrex, GSAK, eTrex to serial cable and, if needed (not sure for my PC but figured it would be for the new Sony Clie I just got my husband for our anniversary), the USB to serial. I'm getting tired of entering waypoints by hand. I'd like to know how, using GSAK, to upload waypoints into the eTrex.

I am wondering about this also. I have a basic yellow Garmin eTrex, GSAK, eTrex to serial cable and, if needed (not sure for my PC but figured it would be for the new Sony Clie I just got my husband for our anniversary), the USB to serial. I'm getting tired of entering waypoints by hand. I'd like to know how, using GSAK, to upload waypoints into the eTrex.

Please see this post