60cx Vs 60csx

Is the compass worth the extra money. Does anyone know who has the best price on the 60cx right now.

Well, it is to me, but it might not be to everyone. For instance, last weekend I did this cache and found myself in a narrow canyon needing to follow a bearing into a cave. I couldn't do this with my old Legend CX, no signal=no heading.

On the other hand, this isn't something I have to do a lot, and a cheap compass could have done the job just as well.

In short, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. But that's just me.

For the difference in price I would much rather have this:

Bruntoncompass1.jpg

The altimeter and compass are nice if you know how to use them(the altimeter in particular), but in either case, I always want to have a standard magnetic compass either for backup or for when a higher accuracy is needed in measuring an azimuth.

I purchased my 60C last year over a 60CS asking myself the same question. The answer after a year is I haven't missed it at all. I purchased a nice little compass for $10 as PhntmArcher above and have not even had to use that yet.

I have only used the electronic compass twice. It was great. One was to find a climbing route. Turned out I was on the wrong side of the canyon, stupid paper map. I definitely couldn't go anywhere to get a heading and the peak i needed was on the GPSr map. The altimeter is pretty fun because its definitely more accurrate than the GPS elevation reading.

Thanks for the advice. I have found a deal where i can get the CSX for about $30 more than the cheapest price I have seen on the CX. Walmart has a decent price but when you add the $30+ state sales tax in Texas + shipping to it there are alot better prices.

After reading the "Compass" question MANY times, I think the answer is: If you are asking the question, don't buy it! Those of us who own them (and would NOT buy a new unit without it) will never be able to educate the naysayers why we think it is SOMETIMES worth the money. But if you don't have it, you will never know.

From reading this reply I can't decide if you have decided to get the "S" unit or not.

If you do get the "S" unit, please post back and let us know if it is of any value to you.

And yes. I ALWAYS carry a magnetic compass with me, and do occasionally use it.

Thanks for the advice. I have found a deal where i can get the CSX for about $30 more than the cheapest price I have seen on the CX. Walmart has a decent price but when you add the $30+ state sales tax in Texas + shipping to it there are alot better prices.

After reading the "Compass" question MANY times, I think the answer is: If you are asking the question, don't buy it! Those of us who own them (and would NOT buy a new unit without it) will never be able to educate the naysayers why we think it is SOMETIMES worth the money. But if you don't have it, you will never know.

From reading this reply I can't decide if you have decided to get the "S" unit or not.

If you do get the "S" unit, please post back and let us know if it is of any value to you.

And yes. I ALWAYS carry a magnetic compass with me, and do occasionally use it.

Sorry if my uneducated question has upset you or something. Basically what I was asking if the compass was worth a crap. I did decide to go with the S unit. If for nothing else than to have a few more features to play with. The barometer will probably be more useful to me than anything else. Honestly this is my first GPS and I had no intentions for using it for anything other than hunting. This was the only site that I could find decent info on multiple units. After reading more about this sport/hobby on this forum I will be giving it a shot. I think it will be a good way to get the kids out of the house and into the woods.

I found these prices to be the best.

60cx @ newegg.com $379.99 - $30.00 Discount = $349.99 + $5.64 shipping -$50 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16858108255

60CSX @ pcnation.com $390.80 + Free Shipping -$50 rebate

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=6G0170

I figured for a difference of $35 I would get the S unit.

Edited by TxRedNeck