Walking Sticks

ROOKIE49

I bought a fiberglass/metal ... that can extend to about 10'.

I'm gonna make a camera mount attachement so I can do some high up photographs.

Oh, this is neat! I do remember some folks trying to circumvent a stage on a certain cache of ours by hoisting a camera on self-timer to take a pic of a clue. A brilliant idea, but alas we had thought about binoculars and had turned the clue to face in. :blink:

Edited by CoyoteRed

I used to think hiking poles were for dorks cause they lacked the character of a true walking stick. That said I've found myself on many impromptu treks without a pole (and wishing I had one) cause there aren't enough places to store a 5' stick in a Jeep Wrangler for daily driving.

I've been pondering a collapsible pole to keep in the Jeep for just those occassions. Do you like ketchup on your crow?

Check out Wal-Mart...$10...

i made one for my caching partner BrianK124 that resemble El Diablo's...i talked to him many times and got the directions from his site, bought the stick for 12 bux and my dad had the wood carving tools, i printed out the font for his name and penciled it in on the wood since it was soft enough it traced right through, afterwards i stained the wood and painted it and gave it to him for christmas...he has never used it ( i like to think its because its to purty to use) but it is big and heavier than a metal stick, but it looked kewl, wish he would take the picture already. it took about 7 hrs to do it, and it was fun learning how to use the tools

i made one for my caching partner BrianK124 that resemble El Diablo's...i talked to him many times and got the directions from his site, bought the stick for 12 bux and my dad had the wood carving tools, i printed out the font for his name and penciled it in on the wood since it was soft enough it traced right through, afterwards i stained the wood and painted it and gave it to him for christmas...he has never used it ( i like to think its because its to purty to use) but it is big and heavier than a metal stick, but it looked kewl, wish he would take the picture already. it took about 7 hrs to do it, and it was fun learning how to use the tools

Thanks for the testimonial. I'm glad I could help. I can't wait to see the picture of it! :laughing:

El Diablo

I just turned my walking stick into a TB and I am trying to send it down the Northville/Lake Placid trail to get lots of scenery pics. Then maybe the Appellation trail. I was just wondering where you guys get those little metal Groundspeak tags that I've seen on a few different walking sticks? I think the walking stick TB's are really a cool idea and I would love to see more pics of the ones that you guys have. Nothing that's store bought, I want to see pics of original and hand carved and hand finished walking sticks. Swizzle

dictionary entry

I think you mean Appalachian trail.

And by the way, is your stick a "Swizzle Stick"?

Let see if this pic uploader thing will work for me. Here's my first 2 walking sticks. I used varish on the swizzle stick that has the jute twine grip, complete with TB and lil glass fishy. The second one was much easier to do and I like the results much better. It's 3 coats of boiled linseed oil. The black handle was and is still in the process of testing. I took some cereal box cardboard and wrapped in around the stick and then tied it tight. Basically it was 2 pieces of cardboard spaced apart to protect above and below the spray zone. Then I just used some of that spray on rubberized coating. Next I'm going to try a combo of jute twine and rubberized coating. How do you guys do a finishing knot when you tie off the string? ......Well I was going to add a pic but it looks like I have to take a special course to learn how to post one. Why is it so much of a hastle? There should be a simple browse button. I give up, Swizzle

I find that a walking stick has come in handy many times. Poking in the bushes listening for a "clunk" of an ammo can (works), hiking up and down hills, and moving rocks and leaves. One of the most benificial uses was taught to me by my two young sons. In the Alaska woods there are usually a lot of spider webs. Being 6'3" tall I seem to run into them all the time. My two youngest sons 10 and 12 y/o hate them and started walking around holding a stick about 2 feet in front of their face which breakes the (mostly unseen) webs around the stick instead of their head. Now I do that all the time. Went to hide a new cache last nignt and did not have the stick - cam home with quite a few strings of webs on my head and in my hair. I thought it was pretty funny that two young guys could come up with the simple solution.