Sony Gps Tracker For Photography

Olar

I don't think linking photos to the coords where taken is new but this takes it a bit further. I wonder if the software would accept a downloaded track from any GPSr? It would be interesting to find out.

You can read about it here.

Cheers, Olar

Hi Olar,

Interesting. But unless I'm missing something, I don't see how it "takes it a bit further"? Seems to be just another tool for doing something that quite a few programs already do. I expect their target audience is for those relatively new to this kind of photo-matching-- probably a viable market.

My personal favorite is Topofusion. I use it primarily for overlaying tracks on Topo of Satellite imagery, but also has decent HTML system for linking photos to a GPS track.

Sounds like it's more a case of Sony jumping on the band-wagon rather than taking it a bit further. I've seen Topofusion around for some time but have never used it. I didn't realize it would write the latitude/longitude values to the jpeg image's EXIF data and it sounds like GPS2PHOTO may do that as well. Thanks for pointing that out Tymbee and Joel.

I have countless photos taken while geocaching but there are very few that I can identify date, time, or location let alone cache name or cache event. Being able to access a photo's EXIF data and see the coords makes it easier to identify them. My memory isn't as good as it used to be and I can't remember when that was. <_<

Olar

This sounds interesting to me.

When I use Garmin's MapSource program to download waypoints or tracks from my 60cx to a gpx file, I think the date and time are also in the gpx file.

Now, what FREE programs will let one open a JPG file and then plot those points, with date and time, onto the image file? I have several programs that wil plot the point locations, but they will not automatically plot the date and time. Sure would be nice if Google could add this feature.

I do have several image editing programs that will let you cut-n-paste textural data to an image file, but I'd rather have date and time added with one click of the mouse button for all points.

If I could do this, then I could easily check the points against the Trimble Planning Software charts to get an idea of the accuracy of the recorded points.

Conversely, why couldn't the GPSr just capture an image of the Sattelite screen to the microsd card?? And give it the same name as the waypoint. Or, capture the data for the sattelite screen and let MapSource recreate the screen image.

Hi Olar,

Sounds like it's more a case of Sony jumping on the band-wagon rather than taking it a bit further. I

Precisely.

I've seen Topofusion around for some time but have never used it. I didn't realize it would write the latitude/longitude values to the jpeg image's EXIF data and it sounds like GPS2PHOTO may do that as well. Thanks for pointing that out Tymbee and Joel.

Topofusion doesn't write GPS info to exif fields-- sorry if I gave that impression. What it can do-- like a number of other programs-- is to process .gpx files and compare the date info therein against the exif time stamp in a series of digital images.

For my workflow I have no particular reason to want to embed the lat/lon info in the image themselves anyhow. As long as my GPS is in sync w/ the camera time, all I need is to match the .gpx files to the photos themselves.

Here's a rather crude sample (with a bit of customization: the "pink arrows") I made as a test on a flight last year. Read/follow the instructions to check the functionality (scroll down to see the thumbnail images).

Topofusion HTML Sample page