Gpx Files Do Not Include Additional Wpts Without Coordinates

hulmgulm

Today I noticed that additional waypoints without coordinates are not included as waypoints in the gpx files, either in the PQs and the files downloaded directly from the cache page.

As more and more multistage caches put their questions into the waypoint descriptions, they are lost! <_<

Is there a way to change this?

Edited by hulmgulm

Lep, I think you are wrong on this. The Additional Waypoint page is specifically designed to handle stages of multi caches. Telling a cacher that the cache owner should not have used that feature is silly and unproductive.

Ever since the additional waypoints were implemented, a table of that information has appeared in the cache description both on the web page and in the gpx file. This has created the expectation that the table would always be produced and there was never any annoucement that this was to be changed. And we know that cache reviewers in some areas were requesting that multi stage data be presented this way (probably so they need to verify proximity information).

Now, all of a sudden, the table is not being produced in the gpx files, leaving that datastream defective because it excludes vital information that is needed to find the cache. I don't have the information that the OP presents, so I cannot point to any examples, but if indeed the additional waypoint file excludes any multi cache stage data where the coordinates are hidden, then this is a defect.

hulmgulm, maybe you could post a few GC codes of caches where you see this happening so that it can be fixed. If there is a reason why such information cannot be included in the Additional Waypoitns gpx data, then it should be put back into the long descritpion as a table.

Lep, I think you are wrong on this. The Additional Waypoint …

the feature is named »additional waypoint« and not »additional cache description«.

Happy hunting – the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

I don't know if putting questions for multistage caches into the additional waypoint descriptions is a proper use of that feature. But I believe that any information that I enter into the cache edit/create page and shows on the cache web page should also be placed into the GPX file so that it can be seen offline.

Am I understanding you correctly: there's a cache with a stage, the coordinates are hidden but the information about the stage is not: cacher has

selected, "Show the details of this waypoint but hide the coordinates" and NOTHING comes in the gpx? I'd agree, this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

I'd certainly think (as a cache placer) that a description of stage 2 (if I chose to include it) would be part of a gpx file. Either that, or the option of , "Show the details of this waypoint but hide the coordinates" shouldn't exist - it's either public (parking) or hidden (stage, puzzle solution). Very odd.

Ever since the additional waypoints were implemented, a table of that information has appeared in the cache description both on the web page and in the gpx file. This has created the expectation that the table would always be produced and there was never any announcement that this was to be changed. ...

Now, all of a sudden, the table is not being produced in the gpx files, leaving that datastream defective because it excludes vital information that is needed to find the cache.

And herein lies the problem. I'm also seeing this and I would also like to see the data get added back to the end of the description in the GPX file.

And herein lies the problem. I'm also seeing this and I would also like to see the data get added back to the end of the description in the GPX file.

Exactly. What seems to be nonexistant is an explanation why it's not there anymore... there was no mention of taking it back out in the "additional waypoints" main thread. Additional waypoints with hidden coordinates would not be shown any other way, as the GPX format states that each waypoint must contain coordinates.

While I can personally change my own software to work around based on the way things are generated now, 1) it's very annoying to have to and 2) there's no guarantee that things won't change again and make the information even less usable for those of us trying to develop against it.

The problem I am seeing is that people have started not putting stage coordinates in descriptions at all but are relying on the Additional Waypoint info. This means that the regular GPX file no longer even includes the stage waypoints even if the cache layer includes the details of the multi in the description but relies on the additional waypoint info for the coordinates.