Sad News

briansnat

My condolences to his family. I really enjoyed his caches.

My condolences to his family. He will be missed. I found only one of his caches, but I looked at the others, and they looked like great hikes and hides. That one cache had a TB that I could whisk directly to it's final destination 300+ miles away, so I emailed him for a hint, to insure I wouldn't walk away with a DNF. I got a nice and very speedy response.

<_<

My first cache find was a BigBill6 cache. As a matter of fact, when planning a Harriman caching hike just this past weekend, I noticed from recent logs that some of BigBill's caches are badly deteriorated. I checked his account and noticed he hadn't been active since last year (I did not know he'd been sick), so I brought along some items to perform maintenance on them (replacement containers, new logbooks, etc.) as needed.

Of the seven caches I sought that day, I found three of BigBill's, and only one of them needed considerable maintenance. However, the two DNFs I logged that day were also BigBill caches. <_<

I still have a lot of BigBill caches to find and, in light of this sad news, I will make additional efforts to seek them out and perform any needed maintenance.

RIP, BigBill. Your geocaching legacy will live on.

My first cache find was a BigBill6 cache. As a matter of fact, when planning a Harriman caching hike just this past weekend, I noticed from recent logs that some of BigBill's caches are badly deteriorated. I checked his account and noticed he hadn't been active since last year (I did not know he'd been sick), so I brought along some items to perform maintenance on them (replacement containers, new logbooks, etc.) as needed.

When Bill first learned of his illness it was about the time the permit system was implemented. He noted that he was physically unable to maintain his caches and comply with the permit system. We exchanged a few e-mails and I offered to help him with maintenance and he told me that he would let me know if he needed help. I guess as his illness advanced, the caches were the last thing on his mind because he never got back to me.

Anyway, because of this, most of his caches are not in compliance with NY's permit system as far as I know. I have his brother's e-mail address and will contact him to see if he has any interest in keeping the caches alive (I have no idea whether he is a geocacher).

We may have to slowly start pulling them, or adopting the better ones and bringing them into compliance. He has quite a few active ones.

We may have to slowly start pulling them, or adopting the better ones and bringing them into compliance. He has quite a few active ones.

I just read the big thread from last year about this. I thought that maybe the existing caches in Harriman got grandfathered in before the permit system but now I realize it's not the case.

I would be more than willing to adopt several of BigBill's caches and bring them into compliance. Please let us know what his brother says.

When Bill first learned of his illness it was about the time the permit system was implemented. He noted that he was physically unable to maintain his caches and comply with the permit system. We exchanged a few e-mails and I offered to help him with maintenance and he told me that he would let me know if he needed help. I guess as his illness advanced, the caches were the last thing on his mind because he never got back to me.

Anyway, because of this, most of his caches are not in compliance with NY's permit system as far as I know. I have his brother's e-mail address and will contact him to see if he has any interest in keeping the caches alive (I have no idea whether he is a geocacher).

I am of the opinion there is no need to bring the caches into compliance, and they are Grandfathered, if I can use that term. I will PM BrianSnat with my contact within the NYS Parks System, who is a geocacher with over 700 finds. This is not to say there can't be differing opinions on such a matter within the beaurocracy :laughing: The Permit policy did not go into effect until 2005 (exact date unknown, but doesn't matter, no caches were placed after 2004).

Great to see some people willing to step up to the plate already. I'm sure the locals will do a fine job on these caches in Bill's memory.

I am of the opinion there is no need to bring the caches into compliance, and they are Grandfathered, if I can use that term. I will PM BrianSnat with my contact within the NYS Parks System, who is a geocacher with over 700 finds. This is not to say there can't be differing opinions on such a matter within the beaurocracy :( The Permit policy did not go into effect until 2005 (exact date unknown, but doesn't matter, no caches were placed after 2004).

Great to see some people willing to step up to the plate already. I'm sure the locals will do a fine job on these caches in Bill's memory.

The caches were not grandfathered. There was a huge forum debate about this when the compliance permit system went into effect. I spoke to several of Harriman's regional land managers and they expressed that all caches needed a permit (whether they were newly placed or placed 5 years before was of little consequence). Several cachers pulled their caches or got the required permits. Others just waited to see what would happen. The rangers have little time to oversee the permit system so many have just been left unhindered, but there was no grandfathering policy, just an absence of enforcement.

I am of the opinion there is no need to bring the caches into compliance, and they are Grandfathered, if I can use that term. I will PM BrianSnat with my contact within the NYS Parks System, who is a geocacher with over 700 finds. This is not to say there can't be differing opinions on such a matter within the beaurocracy :laughing: The Permit policy did not go into effect until 2005 (exact date unknown, but doesn't matter, no caches were placed after 2004).

The caches were not grandfathered. There was a huge forum debate about this when the compliance permit system went into effect. I spoke to several of Harriman's regional land managers and they expressed that all caches needed a permit (whether they were newly placed or placed 5 years before was of little consequence). Several cachers pulled their caches or got the required permits. Others just waited to see what would happen. The rangers have little time to oversee the permit system so many have just been left unhindered, but there was no grandfathering policy, just an absence of enforcement.

Oh, never mind then <_< Definately a regional thing (and the NY State parks are divided into regions), and the big cheese in my region just happens to be a geocacher. I actually missed that forum debate, but I do remember the one where there was a SGL manager in NE Pa. (Pike County, I believe) that was extremely hostile to geocaching, wanted geocaches off "his" SGL, and gave geocachers the impression they were no longer permitted on any SGL. I'm sure that was quite the headache for Keystone :laughing: . But I bring that up as an example of different interpretations by TPB in different areas of a State. Best of luck on Big Bill's caches. I hope to return to Harriman some day, it's a great place.

Sorry to hear this news :laughing: . My condolences to BigBill's family. I have done a bunch of his caches in Harriman. In some areas of Harriman they were the only caches around. Hiking is fun, but hiking with a bunch of caches along the route is extra fun. Hope they are adopted.

I enjoyed doing a few of Bill's caches. He once mentioned in the forums that he had problems with his legs. So many of his caches were placed with me in mind, you might say, as my legs are getting pretty crummy too. I'm sorry I never met Bill personally but he seems to have been a really nice guy. He is missed. May God be with him.

I am sorry to hear this news... I have never had the chance to meet Bill but I have done most of his caches... Some in the rain - some in sunshine - all with fun....

Please count me in on any adoption initiative (I have no caches in Harriman at this time and live only 20 minutes away...)....

My condolences to Big Bill's family. I have done a number of his caches, and they are always fun. Also, I live in Rockland, and currently have no caches hidden in Harriman, so I would be able to adopt a cache or two if need be. If anyone is going out to find any of Bill's caches, there are a few that I have been to recently that I know need some maintenance.

Anthony Wayne Trails #2 seems to be MIA. I found it awhile back, and was in the area for another cache, so I went to check on it, but there was no sign of the cache.

Beechy Bottom Road From the recent log entries, it seems that water is getting into the cache. It may need a new container or a dry logbook.

Ski Trail to Silvermine I found this cache today, and it was damp and moldy inside. It could use a new logbook and and trade items, and maybe a more waterproof container.

-tadpole379