How To Ban A Tb Stealer?

1Queenand4Jokers

This cacher must be banned - he is formerly known as geojihad and has all kinds of names and he remembers TB numbers and harrasses those of us who have these TB's and virtually and sometimes physcally steals our bugs from us. HELP - who in Groundspeak bans these guys. Let me know who to contact to get this guy gone - can't Groundspeak sue this guy?

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=fe...7e-3abeaae831cc

Sadly if this eeejit (Ulster-speak) wants to play silly beggars with us cachers they will continue to do so no matter how many times they are banned. These people, who get their kicks out of ruining other people's fun, are in all hobbies and pastimes. Perhaps not discussing them in forums would reduce their gratification.

And I'm sorry, I know you are in a litiginous environment, but what could you sue them for? If you leave something out in the open it is fair game for anyone to purloin - a thought I've had over my own TBs and caches.

In summary my sympathy is with you, but I don't think there is much that can be done apart from ignoring them, cutting your losses, and getting on with what you enjoy.

[edited for spelling]

Edited by Mr Nibbler

Your message has been sent. Groundspeak has banned a few of his accounts already a while back. He has opened several accounts and does not seem to be a very stable person. Do not give him the attention, and do not antagonize him. No, Groundspeak can't sue him, they don't even own the bugs. Sending out TB's always a risk one takes, we just hope that a missing bug would be a mistake and not someone who is out for revenge. Sad, really. But stuff like this would be laughed out of court.

that is not right. He is holding about 32 travel bugs

Since all the bugs seemed to have been grabbed from British Columbia maybe some of the local cachers in your area should start snatching up any bugs that hit that area before he does.

Then maybe you guys could mail them to someplace out of his reach.

I think most TB owners wouldn't mind having their bugs mailed as to opposed to being stolen.

Always remember, the good cachers HIGHLY outweigh the bad ones, you just don't here about them. :shocked:

I think Eastern Iowa would probably be just about right.

Now, who do we know from there, somebody who can be trusted with a bunch of TBs? hmmmm.

Hehehe, I might know of someone.

Hey, we all have gps units, and someone has to know how to put a tracking device on one and lead us to him........ sorry, have watched way too many movies.

Luckily, I only have one TB right now in B.C. But was excited that it made it up to Canada!

A deer camera?

The person is in an isolated geographic area. My suggestion would be to create a cache near a ravine. Then, place a very large amount of fake bugs into the cache. Wait in hiding.

Okay...I don't REALLY condone violence, but the guy does have some of my bugs! They are likely suffering from some problems that stem from needing attention. So the best thing is to just avoid placing bugs in the area until they grow bored of being ignored.

like the stolen caches people report, I say put a bug in a cache in an area with a camera or a cache that can be monitored in an urban area via cam. Why not name the bug "Mr Unstoppable" or something that would make him want to take it. Then get his picture via the camera and find out who he is and post the pic for all of us to enjoy... maybe some guy out there wearing lipstick with a list on his wall will take him out for us all... lol... just kidding I don't really condone the idea of taking someone out.. but it would be cool to catch them in the act.....

The people in the area of this cacher know who he is, his real name, why he's doing it and their best advice is to not give this guy any attention whatsoever, including this thread. He is doing this because he doesn't know right from wrong, or he doesn't care. Maybe his parents never spanked him, I don't know. The more the cachers in that area try to get him to stop, the worse it gets. Ban one account, he opens another. Nothing you suggest will stop him, he's not your average nice guy. So the best thing we can do right now is to let it drop and count our losses. This is one situation where the only thing that will help is a good doctor, good counselling, or the proper meds. Let's not encourage him, he may choose to go after your bugs if they are in his area. Even mentioning his name in here gives him the ability to search out posts about him. It's one situation we really can't do anything about other than to stop giving him any kind of attention at all. Thank you all for your concern, but we can't do a thing about people who cannot be reasoned with or reasonable. Read their forums if you wish to know more.

I agree, and as for the TBs the owners should grab them back and delete all this guy's logs. That way even if he physically has the TB there's no "credit" for it. And delete any new logs he makes under new identities. Also delete any logs he makes on cache pages. No comments about any of it, just delete them as if they never existed.

Windrose

I agree, and as for the TBs the owners should grab them back and delete all this guy's logs. That way even if he physically has the TB there's no "credit" for it. And delete any new logs he makes under new identities. Also delete any logs he makes on cache pages. No comments about any of it, just delete them as if they never existed.

Windrose

As someone that has seen his TB held since May, I have some empathy for you. Actually, if it was proven that this person takes TB and holds them forever lets say, there actually could be a charge of Mischief taken out against him in that his actions are denying others from enjoying their pastime - TB owners and those that like to pass them around. It would take a lot of work though and a concerted effort by many geocachers as well. Shame that some people really have no respect for others and their activities.

The people in the area of this cacher know who he is, his real name, why he's doing it and their best advice is to not give this guy any attention whatsoever, including this thread. He is doing this because he doesn't know right from wrong, or he doesn't care. Maybe his parents never spanked him, I don't know. The more the cachers in that area try to get him to stop, the worse it gets. Ban one account, he opens another. Nothing you suggest will stop him, he's not your average nice guy. So the best thing we can do right now is to let it drop and count our losses. This is one situation where the only thing that will help is a good doctor, good counselling, or the proper meds. Let's not encourage him, he may choose to go after your bugs if they are in his area. Even mentioning his name in here gives him the ability to search out posts about him. It's one situation we really can't do anything about other than to stop giving him any kind of attention at all. Thank you all for your concern, but we can't do a thing about people who cannot be reasoned with or reasonable. Read their forums if you wish to know more.

this person who proclames himself to be Geojihad( geocaching holy war) has been stealing and destroying my caches for over a year now. there are strict rules pertaining to jihad which include not killing women, children and non-combatants, as well as not damaging cultivated or residential areas . Funny how I am a woman and geojihad as he is self named is attacking me for no reason and he also does extreem dammage and vandalisum to cultivated and residential areas.I never heard of him untill my first cache was destroyed and i have never given him any recogintion. untill now. I have always replaced the stolen caches without them ever being posted as dammaged in anyway. I have 43 caches out in my area which everyone seems to enjoy very much, out of those 43 I have quietly, (with no advertizement/attention given to the thief), replaced 30 caches. one of them 6 times. Ignoring him does not discourage him in anyway. I think we all need to be on the look out for him and if he can not be charged with theft if anyone could catch or photpgraph him tagging his graffitt he could be charged with that. And for those of you who mentioned videoing him, that has been done, with no help from the authorities when they saw the tape. Good idea though. Happy hunting to all

Yeah, we got it. Again, the best advice is to not give this guy, or anyone else for that matter, any attention whatsoever concerning this issue.

Take it off line.

aparrently you didn't get it at all, ignoring him doesn't work. and a very funny responce from an American. in your counrty he would have been shot and killed the very first time he spray painted geojihad on any thing. isn't that you guys do go to war and kill terrorists. even if they aren't real.

aparrently you didn't get it at all, ignoring him doesn't work. and a very funny responce from an American. in your counrty he would have been shot and killed the very first time he spray painted geojihad on any thing. isn't that you guys do go to war and kill terrorists. even if they aren't real.

I take offense to that statement about americans we are not all like that. What the News tells you about us Yanks is not always true and is never fully the truth. So please think before you say something. Now back to the topic at hand. We had some people in MN that called themselves the "CacheTerrorists". They would find caches and take everything out of them, Take the entire cache or Deficate or urinate in the cache. The last one was their favorite to do. They then had the balls to leave a calling card with their name. Best thing to do is ignore him he seems a little messed up in the head. Just don't put TB's in areas he goes delete all traces of him and Groundspeak should ban his IP address so he cant make anymore accounts.

I think Eastern Iowa would probably be just about right.

Now, who do we know from there, somebody who can be trusted with a bunch of TBs? hmmmm.

No no no no no...those eastern Iowa cachers can't be trusted at all.

Western Iowa is the way to go.

I'm brand new here but I hated what I was reading in this post.

A few suggestions.

1. Place some nice TB's and caches on your private property in a place that may not seem like private property but is legally yours. Video/take pictures of him doing what he's doing and then you can get him for trespassing. In the U.S. trespassing comes with a fine. I'm not sure what the laws are there but if he gets stuck with enough fines, maybe he'll stop.

2. In the U.S. if you ask someone to stop doing something that affects you negatively and they purposefully continue to do that thing, you can take them to court for harrassing you. Especially if this happens in your presence.

3. Follow his butt around to every cache and STOP him from doing it... That's what I would do.

4. The reason he continues to do this is because he knows you can't or won't do anything to stop him. No consequences equals no risk and so he'll keep doing it. Make some consequences exist that he doesn't like and he'll stop doing it. I.E. Rig up a cache that you know he'll get to quickly. Let everyone besides him that's in the area that geocaches know about it. Rig it so it blows up with cow crap or something in his face when he messes with it. I'm reaching here lol.

5. Kick his butt many, many times!

I'm brand new here but I hated what I was reading in this post.

A few suggestions.

1. Place some nice TB's and caches on your private property in a place that may not seem like private property but is legally yours. Video/take pictures of him doing what he's doing and then you can get him for trespassing. In the U.S. trespassing comes with a fine. I'm not sure what the laws are there but if he gets stuck with enough fines, maybe he'll stop.

2. In the U.S. if you ask someone to stop doing something that affects you negatively and they purposefully continue to do that thing, you can take them to court for harrassing you. Especially if this happens in your presence.

3. Follow his butt around to every cache and STOP him from doing it... That's what I would do.

4. The reason he continues to do this is because he knows you can't or won't do anything to stop him. No consequences equals no risk and so he'll keep doing it. Make some consequences exist that he doesn't like and he'll stop doing it. I.E. Rig up a cache that you know he'll get to quickly. Let everyone besides him that's in the area that geocaches know about it. Rig it so it blows up with cow crap or something in his face when he messes with it. I'm reaching here lol.

5. Kick his butt many, many times!

I know you are trying to help but 1) informing him of where you live and 3) attempting to physically confront him are the LAST two things I would advise. As has been advocated throughout, do not give him the attention that clearly fuels his anger/instability.

If you invite geocachers onto your property by placing and posting a cache, he's got a really good defense against any trespassing fines you would try to impose. Not to mention you would look pretty ridiculous trying to press charges on that one.

Edited by FamilyDNA

Geojihad threatened me in one of his emails he sent. He also mutilated my picture and the picture of a cacher friend of mine - two seperate ones. I'm waiting for him to threaten again, but the accounts he sends stuff to don't keep headers from emails so I can't track him down. If they did, I would have had the police at his door the first time he tried.

Let's keep physical threats out of this. That is no way to handle things, it just brings you down to his level. The more people keep talking about him, the bigger his ego will get. Do not give him the attention he craves. We will not have people threatening physical harm in these forums. What you say can and will be held against you in a court of law.

If someone is threatening anyone through the geocaching.com email system, then you report it to contact@geocaching.com.

If he is threatening you because you posted your email address in your profile and he is going through his own email server, there is nothing Geocaching.com can do about him.

The next person who suggests physical violence gets a time out.

Yeah, we got it. Again, the best advice is to not give this guy, or anyone else for that matter, any attention whatsoever concerning this issue.

Take it off line.

There you go. That's why you are being targeted. IN black and white, I don't expect you to get it, or to understand it. I'm going on 4 years of having my caches stolen and I do know what I'm talking about. At least you guys know who it is. We only suspect and I'm not going to act on suspicion. I've learned a lot, and to be honest anymore I've found our particular problem to be entertaining. Everybody has strings, if you know how to work them.

PS.

Just so you know, Eartha is right. I just fed the ego of two cache maggots. This entire thread should now be blotted from existance. Hopefully you learn something by figuring out why I said you have made yourself a target.

Edited by Renegade Knight

no, if we ignore them, they just start to do worse until we have to act.

Yogie and I were both threatened by him. But I did what I was told originally - to ignore him. Now she's been threatened. If I had gone to the police originally, he might have been behind bars or at least undergoing a severe psychological examination. Instead, he threatened her.

Are we simply going to ignore him until he physically harms a cacher? He's threatened two women. Does he have to rape the next one for something to be done about him?

That's just it... if we are silent, these bullies win.

but if we speak out about it, sure their egos will grow, but others will know who they are and what to look out for. That way, we win.

Yes and no.

You don't feed their ego's and make the problem worse. That does not mean inaction, or not spreading the word. The two are different things and should not be confused.

no, if we ignore them, they just start to do worse until we have to act.

Yogie and I were both threatened by him. But I did what I was told originally - to ignore him. Now she's been threatened. If I had gone to the police originally, he might have been behind bars or at least undergoing a severe psychological examination. Instead, he threatened her.

Are we simply going to ignore him until he physically harms a cacher? He's threatened two women. Does he have to rape the next one for something to be done about him?

You also should not confuse a cache issue with a personal safety issue. The threat should have been taken to the police. The police won't do much about a cache. They pay a lot more attention to personal threats. You and the other woman should also look into a workable method of self defence.

If you are being threatened by someone in your area, print up all threats, and take them to the police. Do not continue to feed egos in these public forums, so they can come in here and have a laugh at how scared people are. Take action. geojihad was banned, long ago, so were many of his sock puppets, he will just open another account at the library. You need to deal with this locally, not in here, in cyberspace. We cannot do anything other than ban the guy's account, over and over. Take any evidence you have to your local police department and explain it to them with as much information as you can gather. Remove your email address from your profile, so it is hidden. And if you have copies of these threats and IF they were sent through the www.geocaching.com system send copies, along with all headers, to contact@Groundspeak.com

As I said, if the emails were not sent through the www.geocaching.com system, there isn't a darn thing we can do about it. It's out of our jurisdiction.

This thread is now closed, because further discussion will not solve the problem, and will only serve to feed the ego.