Hiding From Muggles

rbrugman

I've never been caching at night, allthough I've cut it close a couple of times. I would suggest trying to get along without the flashlight, if you can. Only attracts attention.

I carry a clipboard sometimes when going for urban micros. A toolbox and hardhat would complete the disguise, and make those Wal-Mart micros easy.

Whatever you do, print out a few copies of the "Let's Go Geocaching" brochure. You can find a link to it on the "resources" page. I got stopped by the police twice. The first time, I didn't have one, and I got patted down, and background checked. The second time, the cop was really interrested, and didn't even ask my name. When I gave him the brochure, I told him to pass it around to his fellow officers. Might help the next cacher.

When we go to an urban "parking lot" cache I tend to park my van between where I think the cache site is and where most of the muggles are parked. This seems to work well. On park caches, we park as close to the tree line as we can, and just head into the trees looking official like we have a good reason to be there.

I find that if a Muggle is getting too interested, I just adopt the attitude of a street preacher. My grandfather was a primitive baptist preacher, and I heard him call down the fire and brimstone from on high more than once during my childhood.

Most muggles run for cover. Of course, you run the risk of Christian Muggles sticking around for the sermon, but if they do, I just pass the hat.

Or you can take an alternative approach - become a promoter of the game instead of hiding it!

I am an aged one-legged fat man who caches on crutches, often at night and more often in groups. No way am I gonna pull off stealth caching, everyone watches me!

So I take the opposite approach - I tell everyone I see (with few exceptions) what I am doing, often inviting them to join the hunt. Hikers I meet on the trail, hunters I meet in the woods, cops who (frequently!) stop to check me out, all have either said something along the lines "Sounds like fun, carry on" or actually joined me to find the cache.

This approach has even gotten permission for a number of hides that were placed without permission, when I ran across the landoowner and was questioned I explained what I was doing, sometimes showed them the hide, sometimes just explained it. When they said "No, I had no idea that was there" in all but one occasion I asked and they consented to letting it stay there.

Of the dozens of times this sort of thing has happened over the years not one complaint has arisen that the cache was later muggled due to my introducing folks to the game.

Something for you to consider, anyway - don't hide it, rather, become a self-appointed ambassador of geocaching!

Ed

Making yourself invisible to muggles is an art, especially when you want to search in crowded places. If, over the years, I've learned anything about making myself less obvious to muggles it's this......

Put a cellphone to your ear and you can get away with anything. People will simply ignore you.

Yep! you can do anything as long as you have a cell pinned to your ear. You can stand in one spot, walk around and feel surfaces, bend over and look under things...what ever you want. People will just ignore you.

Try it...you'll see that I'm right. <_<

HMMMM... Just thought of something. My wife works at Wal-Mart. I wonder If her vest would fit me? <_<

Probably not a good option unless she is the safety officer and it is a reflective orange vest. Or you are only hunting wallyworld lamppost caches and can pull off the official Walmart lamppost inspector routine. :ph34r::ph34r:

I would wonder why that walmat employee is out in the woods off of the trail. :ph34r:

But seriously-you aren't doing anything wrong, so don't act like it.

If someone asks, tell them that you are looking for something. They could become your next geopal.

If you do not think they are potential cacher material, then just start picking up trash and tell them you are doing community service. :ph34r: That'll scare them off every time.

Hiding is not easy. I just make them avoid me. I pour water on the crotch of my pants and dump a can of vegetable soup on my shirt. Works like a charm.

Yikes, I really need to pay more attention to what I read in here. I was looking over this post and answering a question at work and thought you had said ...works like chum.. <_<

Then I had this mental image of the gumbies from Monty Python following you down the trail... :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy

I find that if a Muggle is getting too interested, I just adopt the attitude of a street preacher. My grandfather was a primitive baptist preacher, and I heard him call down the fire and brimstone from on high more than once during my childhood.

I am an aged one-legged fat man who caches on crutches, often at night and more often in groups. No way am I gonna pull off stealth caching, everyone watches me!

Hiding is not easy. I just make them avoid me. I pour water on the crotch of my pants and dump a can of vegetable soup on my shirt. Works like a charm.

Now that would be a site while looking for that micro in the phone booth outside Walmart.

Honesty and not trying to hide what you are doing is the best approach, get over your fear and embarrassment and have a good time finding the cache.

I am a little curious about how to hide from muggles. The other day I was caching at night with my headlamp (which is extremely bright) and I kept having to turn it off when cars drove by. What are some tips for getting the cache done without being observed?

You might want to check out this wiki article on how to see in the dark for a few pointers. If that doesn't work for you can always go high-tech.

I also use the GPS to ear routine. I used this one all the time. I just walk around with it to my ear and look at coordinates every once in a while and then tap the GPS like I am mad because of no signal and walk the other way because I always go the wrong directions when looking for a cache.

I also use my little cachers as a disquise. I let my 2 year old loose on the area and my wife chases her around and takes all the attention off of me.

I like the idea of maybe making a jump suit with the Geo Caching logo on the front and back. Add a matching hat and clipboard and a orange vest maybe. Add everyones Ideas into one.

Oh yeah. Do you think the city would be mad if I took a couple of their MEN WORKING signs and put them near my vehicle while on road side caches?

How do you go about caching at night though, especially in the woods. I suppose that no one is there to see you (if you're wearing a light like I am), but I know caching is done.

Urban caching is a bit easier since there are street lights and such, but I never seem to see any fellow cachers at night even though I know they are out there.

<_< for micro (park and grab type)caches you could use the oh just changing the babies diaper. It always gets the muggles out of the area. If you don't have a real toddler or young child you could always have a back up doll in the trunk, lol, but then you need a mini van to complete the cover <_<

Or you could just proceed to change your imaginary baby. :D

Put a cellphone to your ear and you can get away with anything. People will simply ignore you.

Yep! you can do anything as long as you have a cell pinned to your ear. You can stand in one spot, walk around and feel surfaces, bend over and look under things...what ever you want. People will just ignore you.

Try it...you'll see that I'm right. :D

Unless you are with a jerk like me. I was caching with a friend in a nearby city. We came upon a cache that was obviously on the front porch of a resturant. I was going to skip it, but my friend got a big head and said "watch this, I will snag it!"

He got out of the car and got on his cell phone and acted like he was wating for soem friends. He slowly made his way to the bench where the cache was hidden and sat down still carrying on his conversation.

At about that time, a family walked by. My friend kept talking to his imaginary friend.

I could not resist (Again, I admit, it was a jerk move.) Right when the family was next to him, I called him from my phone.

In the middle of his imaginary coversation, the phone rang for real.

I don't know if the family caught on or not, but boy was my friend embarressed!

;)<_<<_<

I am a little curious about how to hide from muggles. The other day I was caching at night with my headlamp (which is extremely bright) and I kept having to turn it off when cars drove by. What are some tips for getting the cache done without being observed?

does your light have a red bulb or a red lense filter on it? It should help at night so it wont put off so much light. <_<

How do you go about caching at night though, especially in the woods. I suppose that no one is there to see you (if you're wearing a light like I am), but I know caching is done.

Well, I wear a hockey mask and carry a chainsaw. I have yet to have a problem with muggles staying around to watch me. What was it that 2 dogs said? Trust me. It works.

Now that I think about it, this method also works well in parks in full daylight. Never had a problem with muggles in an urban environment, either.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Try it...you'll see that I'm right. <_<

Unless you are with a jerk like me. I was caching with a friend in a nearby city. We came upon a cache that was obviously on the front porch of a resturant. I was going to skip it, but my friend got a big head and said "watch this, I will snag it!"

He got out of the car and got on his cell phone and acted like he was wating for soem friends. He slowly made his way to the bench where the cache was hidden and sat down still carrying on his conversation.

At about that time, a family walked by. My friend kept talking to his imaginary friend.

I could not resist (Again, I admit, it was a jerk move.) Right when the family was next to him, I called him from my phone.

In the middle of his imaginary coversation, the phone rang for real.

I don't know if the family caught on or not, but boy was my friend embarressed!

<_<:D:D

;):D:D SG-MIN you are my kind of jerk! :D

does your light have a red bulb or a red lense filter on it? It should help at night so it wont put off so much light. <_<

It's a Princeton Tech Apex. It didn't come with a red filter but I'm sure I could get one for it.

It's a Princeton Tech Apex. It didn't come with a red filter but I'm sure I could get one for it.

Go for blue instead of red. Red light stands out as obviously man-made. Blue light is softer and looks like moonlight.

I field tested a blue LED model that was great. Wish I could remember who made it. Even with night-vision goggles you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking directly into the lens.

does your light have a red bulb or a red lense filter on it? It should help at night so it wont put off so much light. :laughing:

Go for blue instead of red. Red light stands out as obviously man-made. Blue light is softer and looks like moonlight.

I field tested a blue LED model that was great. Wish I could remember who made it. Even with night-vision goggles you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking directly into the lens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted Princeton Tec to see if they make either color filter for the Apex. I'm awaiting an email back from them.

Over time you'll develop through trial & error, a system that works for you. Lots of good ideas here, but I think I'll pass on the wet crotch/soupy shirt. :( Something I've noticed in law enforcement is the folks who are trying to not be noticed, are the ones who get the most attention. Those folks who go about their business with a confident air, attract a lot less attention.

Yep! That'd work for me ROFLMAO :sad:

Yeaa and if they still hang around, start picking the peas and carrot chunks off your shirt and eating them...

What you do is cross your arms across your chest (funeral style). This is the international LARP (Live Action Role Play) symbol for 'invisible'. Other LARPers will recognize the signal and fail to see you. Everyone else will dismiss you because you're an incredible dork. Either way people will avert thier gaze.

You could also carry a big rubber boot with spare change in it. Ordinarily attentive people will suddenly do anything to avoid eye contact.

Edited by IGJoe

Last month I was in NYC so I decided to nab a few caches in Central Park. I was surprised at how few muggles were around a few of them, but a couple was laying on a blanket almost on top of one. Since I don't get to NYC that often I was determined to get this cache. I called a caching buddy and he gave me a great tip that worked. I sat down near them and started talking to myself. They left shortly and I got my cache.

They gave me a funny look when I walked past them later as I was leaving the park, but it was worth it.

The masked muggler is full of all kinds of helpful hints! :laughing:

Urban caching is a bit easier since there are street lights and such, but I never seem to see any fellow cachers at night even though I know they are out there.

Hide good don't they? :laughing:

Become a "birder." Hang a pair of binoculars around your neck, and stick a birdbook in a pocket where you can grab it. Actually look for birds, and look them up in the book. If a real birder comes along, say that you are just beginning, and is that really a House Sparrow over by the horse poop?

Probably won't work too well at night, but maybe you can imitate some owl calls (Great Horned Owls are easy) and really call one up to you. :D

Night caching is fun, but in urban areas (especailly late at night) flashlights tend to draw suspicion and attention. I never use a headlamp in an urban area, cause they're too hard to turn on an off quickly. Instead I use a small LED flashlight with a momentary on-off switch. I can turn it on for a second or two to check an area, then immediately turn it off.

I'm thinking of getting a Tyvek HAZMAT suit, white rubber boots, face-shield and a crapload of BIOHAZARD stickers and baggies. Some friends did this for the fun of it, walking around with clipboards, poking at stuff in the ground, while other friends wore suits and earbuds and talked into wristwatches. All in a downtown park.

Just got busted today by security guards who "glassed" me from about 100 yards away. The cache was at the base of a major bridge/overpass here in town. I had some 'splaining to do, so I took Alabama Rambler's approach. So there I was, describing Geocaching to three guards, while they munched on Cheetos. Spreading the word.

Got home and realized why they were so edgy--Today's news was all about two events: the whole London peroxide hijacking plot (I'm thinking that blonde jokes are inappropriate here?) and some pipe bombs found near our state capitol. DOH!

So this noob has a lot more respect for you old warhorses. Can only imagine the rest of the stories out there.

Edited by mishmashcache

Haha,

Well, I don't have a GPSr yet, but I've definately used the cellphone muggle distraction technique. You can get away with being in the oddist locations and people wont give you a second look. This leads to interesting conversations with myself where I feel slightly schitzophrenic, but works during the day or late at night. Mine is also always set to vibrate mode, so noone will be the wiser if I have an incoming call. Another good daytime muggle distraction Ive found is also the digital camera. Unlike the cellphone however, you must use discretion. As others have mentioned in threads before, you don't want to appear to be taking pictures of children who arent your own and appear to be a potential pedophile. However, people take pictures of the oddest things, and you can usually find something to be interested in. I've found though that people wont give you the same privacy as they will if they think you're on your cellphone. Think back to the last time you were around someone on a cellphone call. Did you stick around to eavesdrop, or give them some personal space for privacy's sake.

The best muggle detterent by far though is just acting confidant, as though you have a purpose in being there. very few people will ask you what you are doing, unless they are a building tenant or a security guard. When someone looks at me suspiciously, I like to give them my "Yeah I belong here, what are YOU doing here?" look. If they are brazen enough to confront you, the direct approach of explaining geocaching, or a simplified "treasure hunt" or "scavenger hunt" will usually suffice. I've read other muggle-deception techniques offered like "I'm looking for my missing contact", but I figure hey, if I'm confronted by someone then (a) I have a legitimate purpose in being there and I can explain why Im there (revealing the actual cache optional), or (:D I'm trespassing / too close to a busy place, government building, school, etc, in which case the cache isnt very well placed or I should be attempting the find at a different time of day.

In conclusion, your demeanor is the most important muggle deception technique, but I'd also add proper dress as a close second, depending on the location. I'm often dressed a little nicer from work and find few people will bother a well-dressed person speaking on a cellphone regardless of location in an urban setting. Some places a well-dressed person might stand out like a sore thumb. Act confidantly and dress to blend with your surroundings and it will go a long way to reduce your muggle problems.

HIDE IN PLAIN SITE!

On a recent vacation to Maine, I went out caching with my almost 4 year-old son Ben, and 2 of the caches were in muggle-rich environments...rather than skulk or hide, we went all out, and Ben even wore his lobster hat. With a little kid, you can get away with almost anything...tons of people saw us, but nobody paid much attention, even though we were meandering around with a GPS and eventually trading/logging.

8606b%20161.jpg

Ben makes great camouflage, and has a great time geocaching...you should try it with a kid! Nobody...nobody...thinks you're up to no good when you're wandering around and playing with a screaming and giggling and singing little boy!

8606b%20137.jpg

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

HIDE IN PLAIN SITE!

On a recent vacation to Maine, I went out caching with my almost 4 year-old son Ben, and 2 of the caches were in muggle-rich environments...rather than skulk or hide, we went all out, and Ben even wore his lobster hat. With a little kid, you can get away with almost anything...tons of people saw us, but nobody paid much attention, even though we were meandering around with a GPS and eventually trading/logging.

8606b%20161.jpg

Ben makes great camouflage, and has a great time geocaching...you should try it with a kid! Nobody...nobody...thinks you're up to no good when you're wandering around and playing with a screaming and giggling and singing little boy!

8606b%20137.jpg

Jamie - NFA

Unfortunately (Fortunately!) I don't have any children, and I don't borrow any very often. Coincidentally, my name is Ben :D

Wow...my first post is a thread bump...

I literally was hiding from a muggle today...

was in the bush about 7 feet off the path, and on a hill about 6 feet in the air, and I heard a lady walking her dog.

Her dog started freaking out at me, and I was standing, staring at her, with the cache kinda at my feet. She was standing there, like holding her dog so I could walk by, and I just kept talking to her dog, "It's okay boy, don't mean to freak you out".

She just started talking to her dog and said, "never you mind"...hopefully to it.

Then she went on her way. It was dusk...we were 3/4 of a km from entrance from the trail...I must have freaked her out...but I was freaked a bit too, only my 3rd cache, nyce!