Difficult Caches

All:

I fell in love with geocaching last year. However, I soon grew weary of just finding caches that were simply placed under some branches or sitting in a stump, etc. Basically, just out in the open, easily found. I craved for more adventure; more difficult caches. The best ones are ones that you have to go back three or four times to find. There is often blood and sweat involved.

I then decided I would create my own series of caches which I termed the difficult group. For one I created a fake rock (from cement that was painted and textured to look like a rock). You can find instructions on the Internet how to do. Basically from the top it looks like a rock. Underneath, it is hollow. This is a big rock that holds a .30 cal ammo can laying on it's side.

I also took a minnow trap and put a seal-n-lock container in it. Added some rocks in the trap and tied a line to it and chunked it out in the middle of the lake. The line is tied to a tree with some grass, bark, etc hiding it. This is one of my most popular caches.

My latest created a squirrels nest. Basically chicken wire with moss, sticks, leave, etc lining it. Can't tell its a cache at all.

Working on my fourth cache now.

OK, that was a long description to ask others what "unique" and difficult caches have you created or found.

If I've spoiled any of mine for you, sorry....

:(

I'm working on a series of caches that are 'harder' right now! One was GCXD8E, and another one will be published in about a week or so. There were NO hard cache series on my side of town, only SUPER DUPER (I like that word :ph34r:) easy ones. So mine changed that. That one above is in an old, dirty tennis ball. The next is gonna be a multi, and the coords are gonna be laminated to the back of a leaf, hung on a tree! <_< . Call me evil, but the cachers out here like those types.

-Eric

OK, that was a long description to ask others what "unique" and difficult caches have you created or found.

My favorite cache of my own is currently disabled due to muggles. :D The final was an easy find, once you got there. The short story is at the posted coordinates you find a PVC ring with two sets of coordinates written on it. Pick one and go. Those will take you to a second, similar ring. Repeat until you find the final. There are 8 rings. Some of the coords are repeated on subsequent rings therefore leading you back to one you might have skipped or already done. Only one ring has cords for the final. The layout of the rings causes some doubling back on the trails. :D The least number of rings to get to the final is four. Most cachers have to find at least six. HINT TO FINDING THE CACHE ----- The trick is to always go to the farthest away set of cords and you can do it in four rings. Of course human nature is to check out the closest set first. ----- :D

Now local cachers will know if they read this thread. :wub:

Shaker Glen

Loch Cache

We were told about an old abandoned swimming pool in a small town about 30 miles from us. This pool used to be billed as "The World's largest Swimming Pool". It has been close for about 30 years.

Anyway, after checking out the area, we discovered that in the middle of this pool is an "Island", where sunbatheres used to soak up the sun. The only way onto this island is by climbing over what is left of a bridge that connected the island and the surrounding areas. What is left of this bridge is a concrete support that is about 5-6 inches wide and about 15 feet long. About every 3 feet, parts of what were the support for the actual wooden bridge remain. These pieces are about 12-18 inches high, and pretty rickety! To get to the island you had to crawl over this mess, and hope that you didn't fall into the murky water below. The water below is 2 feet deep on one side and 5 feet deep on the other. Did I fail to say that this pool is on the side of a dam and is/was filled by the nearby lake? There are now fish in this pool!

We decided that this "Island" HAD to have a cache! But it couldn't be an easy one, NOOOOOO!. To get the coordinates of the cache hidden on the island, you had to walk through the nearby dam!!! Yes, this CAN be done! It actually used to be opened all the way through, many years ago. There is information above every door in the dam, telling the statistics about the dam and the nearby town. Now though, you can only go through 18-19 doors. So we made a puzzle cache, and you had to go through every door to get your info for the coords.

Once you got the coords, and found the bridge (Oh, I forgot to tell yo that this area is 30+ years overgrown!), and made your way (VERY CAREFULLY!) over the bridge, the cache was just set out on the ground near a tree. BUUUUUT, the tree was on the far side of the island (that is also 30+ years overgrown!) Hope you brought a machete!! Or here's where the crawling comes in! (Did find some beautiful wild irises while crawling.)

Needless to say, this cache is rated 4.5 for difficulty! But everybody that has accomplished it has just loved it! We loved putting it out! And really don't have to worry about muggles. Not too many people can even find the bridge, never mind the island! This is located in Cisco, TX. :anitongue:

Hey I found this and it is only about a mile from my home in a canyon, never completed it yet cause the water was to high in the drain off sewage thing, but anytime this summer it should be find. I got the first waypoint, it is just the second that is the hard one to get to, if you ever make it out to San Diego, look me up and we can go together cause my girlfriend doesn't want to go into the whole with me.

Up the Rathole

Hey I found this and it is only about a mile from my home in a canyon, never completed it yet cause the water was to high in the drain off sewage thing, but anytime this summer it should be find. I got the first waypoint, it is just the second that is the hard one to get to, if you ever make it out to San Diego, look me up and we can go together cause my girlfriend doesn't want to go into the whole with me.

Up the Rathole

that is tight!

Up the Rathole

Hey! I still have to do that one! :blink: But I heard the entrance was surrounded by a new crop of Poison Oak. :huh: Anyhow, there are some other awesome and difficult caches in San Diego (see my signature link below). Imagine climbing up and up and up a very narrow slot canyon in the desert to find a cool cache! If that sounds fun then you should do The Basilisk! It is a tough but very fun rock climbing experience! :blink:

I would have to say a great set of caches is the Benham Butte Bonus Series

By VolcanoGuy.( Central Oregon)

These caches are located completely on volcanic terrain. the sum mileage if this series for me had to be over 30 miles it is just exremely intense. Many rock scrambles, hill climbs, and beautiful views. Many waypoints are small numbered nailheads that could be just anywhere ..... side of a rock oucropping.... SURE..... base of trees SURE ....... Stumps..... Sure....... Benchmarks..... Sure...... very fun and rewarding series

I think I almost cried at the final for the series

Thanks