Sd Cards For Gps Units

Tell me about your SD Cards:

1) What brand name? Problems? Joys?

2) Amount of memory on your SD card? Problem?

3) Brand names to stay away from?

4) Are there particular brand name SD cards that work better in particular GPS Units? e.g., "Magellan work best with XXX brand name SD Card in my experience". Any GPS Units/SD cards proprietary in your experience?

5) In the field, do you notice any type of SD card (brand name, capacity, memory) working better than others?

Thanks. See you on the trail.

:( SunnyWalker

For my Garmin x-model unit which uses the TransFlash MicroSD cards, I got both the 512MB and 1.0GB capacity cards (I couldn't wait for the 1.0GB size to come out).

No problems with either of them. The joy with this brand (maybe with other brands as well - I don't know) is that it comes with an SD card adaptor which allows you to use the card in SD card slots allowing flexibility to use with various card readers andf other devices if needed!

I've heard there are problems with SanDisk ULTRA II models in Garmin units. I cannot personally confirm it, but others have posted here that the cards get fried in the Garmin units. Again, regular SanDisk cards are okay (I have two with no problems), but avoid the ULTRA II models.

All of my cards are SanDisk, so I can't compare to any other brands.

I don't want to retype everything Neo Geo just said because I also use a SanDisk 512mb card in my 60csx. All my cameras and such use SanDisk as well. I've had a PNY regular SD card that worked fine in a camera. Generally Neo Geo is spot on though.

I bought a Sandisk 1 gig chip for my garmin 60CSX it came with a micro chip also. I did not need the Micro chip . My 1 gig chip would not work but my 64 mg works fine. I have a new 1 gig comming . if all you have is a Garmin gps you do not need the Micro chip and save your money and just buy the small chip

Let's see. My wife uses a SanDisk 512MB SD card in her Magellan eXplorist 600. I use a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB card in mine (eXplorist 600 also). My SD card originally was in my Palm Tungsten T5, but the new 2GB card I ordered when the GPSr was ordered was delayed a few days. I new "Extreme Performance (150x) 2GB SD card" in the Palm, and a second one of those in the digital camera.

I have two Sandisk 1GB micros. Echoing other comments, no issues with Sandisk's reliability. I love the bonus of the included adapter and the neat little transparent case.

I have a map backup on the 2nd card but keep it in my Palm m130 (with the included adapter) and use it to backup the Palm too. If I'm travelling and really need extra map space, I'll load different products on each card.

My PC is an HP laptop with a card reader so it's super convenient to pop either SD card onto the laptop to load maps but if I'm travelling I may not have the laptop so having two cards breaks some dependance on it.

If you looking for something on the cheap? yeah!!

I have cards of all sizes Kodak, Sandisk, Astone, Adata, Toshiba... I even tried my 64Meg Sandisk transflash with the SD adapter, all on my Meridian...no problems.

The Astone, and Adata are 1 and 2 gig, both work equally as fast as any Sandisk cards (on a reader!!) yet cost 1/2 as much :D

off ebay!

Avoid large cheap sandisk ards on ebay...99.999% certain to be fakes, and not the size stated! :D

look for the cheapest brand/largest size, 99.999% won't disappoint :sad:

Hey, thanks for all the info. I picked up a writer/reader tonight.

But how about Kodak SD 512 card for an XL?

- :sad: SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker,

I too have used some very cheap, off-brand cards. They seem to work fine.

My suggestion would be to go with a MicroSD that comes with an adaptor. A lot of devices are starting to use MicroSD/Transflash (cell phones, the Garmin "x" series GPSr's) and this will give you maximum compatibility no matter what electronic device you end up owning.