Tomtom Problems

I have been downloading POIs to my TomTom Go300 with no problem, this morning I tried to download a new search but new caches didn't appear, the old ones remained in place however.

I repeated the following instructions several times with no success.

I then deleted my cache category on the Tomtom and eventually reset the machine, all to no avail. Any ideas what my next step should be? I now cannot get any caches at all....oops!

The following are the steps I have been taking, which previously worked fine.

>>>With your filter selected click on File|Export|TomTom Poi File

You will now have a window called Export TomTom POI Files with a total, equal to the number of caches in your filter, shown in brackets.

To try and keep this really simple we will create the OV2 file on the root of your C: drive. So, in the "POI File to create" type C:\TomTom.OV2. Ignore the "Select from most recent" field. In the field that starts "You can build the waypoint...." type %Name and in Maximum characters type 30. Then click "Generate". You may see a progress form show for a brief period and that's the first part of the job done.

Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\ you should see two files beginning with TomTom - one has the extension OV2 and the other BMP.

What to do :

1. Navigate to the C: drive as.

2. Connect your TTG300 using the USB lead.

3. Open another Windows Explorer window and navigate to your TTG300.

4. In the TTG300 window you should see a folder named "Great_Britain-Map". Double click on it to open the folder.

5. Position the two Windows Explorer windows so you can see both and then select the two TomTom files on the C:\ drive and drag and drop them in to the "Great_Britain-Map" folder.

6. Turn off your TTG300 and disconnect from the PC.

7. Turn on your TTG300. The following may differ slightly depending on which version of the software your TTG300 is running.

8. Tap the screen and select "Change Preferences" then select "Manage POIs" then select "Add POI". Then select the "TomTom" file that we created earlier and transferred to the TTG.

9. Navigate back to the main display and tap the screen. Select "Navigate to..." then select "Point of Interest". This is where the software has a big difference. If you are using the latest S/W, like me, then select "POI Near You" and then select the "TomTom" category and then the cache.

You may have to use a bit of trial and error with steps 7 onwards as it is S/W dependent. <<<

C:\TomTom.OV2 which is the name I was previously using with no problem. Good job it's raining so I wouldn't have been going out today anyway! ;)

Are you using it with "C:\" as part of the name? I doubt it will work like that, try naming it tomtom.ov2

Edited by Nediam

Are you using it with "C:\" as part of the name? I doubt it will work like that, try naming it tomtom.ov2

That doesn't work, GSAK won't recgnise Tomtom.ov2 as it says the file does not exist etc. "C:|TomTom.ov2" has worked fine for me in the past so I doubt that is the problem.

D'ya think resetting the Go300 to factory settings is worth a go or can this lead to problems?

Also use the Tomtom Go300.

I download from the Geocache UK site, it can show POI's as caches found/hiden/not found, and creates a file called Geocaches(NotFound).ov2 etc.

This I just copy onto the card via a card reader.

Also have all the Trigs loaded!

(Do have a larger memorycard than the one provided with TT)

G

(Do have a larger memorycard than the one provided with TT)

That sounds like a good alternative if I can't get this thing up and working again, what size card is required?

Have a 256mb card, use 120.6mb on it.

Has all the trigs and caches, both found and unfound, for the whole of the UK.

(No caches hidden yet, so don't have them loaded on the card!)

G

That sounds like a good alternative if I can't get this thing up and working again, what size card is required?

If you download the UK caches as POIs from the Geocache UK site, the total of all the files (found, not found, owned) is about 570Kb - probably not worth shelling out on that 1GB SD card just yet!!! :(

If you download the UK caches as POIs from the Geocache UK site, the total of all the files (found, not found, owned) is about 570Kb - probably not worth shelling out on that 1GB SD card just yet!!! <_<

I have Tom Tom 500 that has the original SD card still in it. I update it using Geocache UK site on a regular basis, I download the FULL Uk list, I also have the Pocket PC speed camera files in there most details version. I still have lots of space available.

But if you really want to get a 1 gig memory card for it then

Look Here

Very resonable prices, less than £20 for 1GB delivered. Ordered it Friday 14:20, despatched 14:46 and it arrived yesterday, wasn't due to get to me before Thursday. Not bad methinks. :ph34r:

:ph34r::lol::ph34r::lol::ph34r::o:lol::P

If you download the UK caches as POIs from the Geocache UK site, the total of all the files (found, not found, owned) is about 570Kb - probably not worth shelling out on that 1GB SD card just yet!!! :D

I bought a TT Go300 just over 12 months ago before I started geocaching; and have always been slightly annoyed about its inability to easily accept cache locations so we could obtain travel directions to the general area before changing to the GPSr for the final leg. However, having read this thread and changing the SD card to 258MB I now have a) the ability to add accurate cache locations AND :D every unfound UK cache is now listed as a POI by using a quick 'drag and drop' action on the PC. Thank you to the contributors who provided the information.

:D:):D

I bought a TT Go300 just over 12 months ago before I started geocaching; and have always been slightly annoyed about its inability to easily accept cache locations so we could obtain travel directions to the general area before changing to the GPSr for the final leg. However, having read this thread and changing the SD card to 258MB I now have a) the ability to add accurate cache locations AND :D every unfound UK cache is now listed as a POI by using a quick 'drag and drop' action on the PC. Thank you to the contributors who provided the information.

:D:D:D

:D Don't rely too heavily on the TTG in your part of the world - as rare visitors to the NE, more than once ours has taken us to within a few yards of the cache location, only to discover that those few yards are actually one of your rivers!

:D:D:)